Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Three limited palettes, how they feels?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Three limited palettes, how they feels?
Pages: [1]

"Three limited palettes, how they feels?", One week ago, 12:58 PM #1
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
Created these three palettes, having 45, 80 and 125 colours. Used CMY colour space, without adjusting black. Each actually differs only in Cyan and Magenta, Yellow always having five different levels.

Grays are bit off with two of those, but I don't consider it actually issue. Just adding bit fun into challenge.

So how it feels to use these? What kind of challenge they pose? What kind of usage are fitting for those, etc, this kind of stuff.

Before asking, these palettes are inspired by that old 64 colour palette used by comic authors of old days.

Also should I create fourth one with different parameters for CMY?

And, no, won't touch black. Will makes this too complicated...
One week ago, 4:55 PM #2
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
They feel like they could be tropical, scifi, or both!
One week ago, 5:31 PM #3
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Well, they are kind of supposed be general purpose comic palettes. More neutral tones are around middle of each one. Just limiting certain channels with two others. Last one with 125 has five levels on everyone. Like five of Cyan, Magenta and Yellow.

Others two have three and four levels of Cyan and magenta. Yellow is always same, as skintones seem be requiring it most. I am trying to find limited, but balanced palette by playing around levels, until something good comes out.

And really, creating colours one by one as required doesn't work for me. You create two and soon you have two thousand...
One week ago, 8:06 PM #4
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
Even the centers are relatively bright -- to me, the vibe is solarpunk in Kerala.

What kind of setting is this? Warm or cold climate? What season? What kind of landscape? What do the people wear? What kind of light sources? Neon, firelight, the sun, the moon?

What feeling do you want it to give? Happy, exciting, calm, scary, dull? Any significance to certain colors, in-universe or to the reader? (Think how colors like red, brown, blue and green have political meanings.)

I like these swatches, they're pretty and harmonious. But how good they are for your comic is another question. :)
One week ago, 8:47 PM #5
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Actually that brightness might be illusion. If you look this set of 65536 colours, it looks moody. If you pick up few colours from it, results are different:

So best way is really to try colour something with it. Anything, choosing nearest matching colour.

And like I mentioned, color 64 comic palette is inspiration to create something for my own use...

edit: Also just noticed few values were bit off with first two. Fixed them. Refresh to see correct ones...