Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Study-critique wanted

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Study-critique wanted
Pages: [1]

"Study-critique wanted", 9 days ago, 1:46 PM #1
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
Hello all. I just want some feedback on a study (of sorts, anyway) I've done for a coming chapter I'm working on of my comic, which takes place around a lot of synthetic and derelict structures.

Essentially what I'm trying to go for is highly detailed, somewhat realistic background environments complimented by comparably simpler, largely unshaded characters. An example of something along these lines that is much better executed would be the composition work in some of Shigeru Mizuki's comics, just so you know what I'm aiming for.

I'm just wondering how well I've accomplished this with this study? Anything you can suggest would be appreciated.
9 days ago, 1:56 PM #2
ratt
and who could forget dear ratboy
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
Hey I love the the effort you've put into making strong, considered hatching on the cars, its clear you've been careful with your work here... however, and I think this is a real shame, the lines you've done behind that in the background? A little shabby. It really takes away from the effect I think have so much space up there, I think you could go bolder or for next time remember that the whole illustration/panel/page should work together to pull off the effect you want even the bits that are super boring to draw
9 days ago, 5:20 PM #3
SupermarketCordyceps

Hey there, thanks for the honest reply. I agree in retrospect-the lines in the background don't look that great for the image overall and mess up the definition of the focal point a bit. Can I just clarify what you mean by going "bolder"?
9 days ago, 7:48 PM #4
ratt
and who could forget dear ratboy
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
Sure thing

By bolder I mean you could, if you wanted to- i want to enforce that you should do what you think looks nice, push your blacks/whites a bit more. Put that "empty" space to work.

I hope you don't mind:

I don't know what what kind of feeling you are going for with this image but anyway this isn't an exhaustive list of things you might like to try out in your next pictures (if someone who actually knows how to deal with tone and lighting would like to jump in that would be cool I'm a ham fist)

I took a look at the artist you reference for how you meant to describe what you wanted to do in terms of realistic environments/softer characters and I get what you mean by that when you say that's the part your taking influence from but also I feel like more than the juxtaposition of styles, the impact of his image come from his POWERFUL grasp over tone and texture. Looking at his work he seems to not at all be afraid of sacrificing some definition in order to highlight the most important parts of his illustration and to draw the eye around, I think he seems like a good artist to take cues from in many ways and studying him can only be of a help to you

(ps, cross hatching is so hard man honestly respect)
9 days ago, 9:37 PM #5
SupermarketCordyceps

Thank you once again for your response, you've certainly given me some pointers. Out of those two edits you did, I feel the latter communicates the sort of mood I was going for in the original image-a vaguely gloomy, ethereal feel. I'll definitely keep in mind your pointers.
Forum > Critique > Study-critique wanted
Pages: [1]