Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Air your grievances here.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
4th Jan 2020, 3:41 AM #501
What a sucker
I have anxieties tied to the state of the world, if I told pretty much anyone I know they'd dismiss it as "liberal" thoughts and I feel like one day, it's all going to snap and make an even bigger mess.

I have so many neuroses that I don't know where to start and I don't know how to fix any of it.

I have a fear of living in an apocalyptic scenario.

I've started to read The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek, so far it's good but something about the Southern Small Town Gothic setting and heavy discipline horror themes picks at a mental scab.

My sister came home for the Christmas holiday and I wound up crying for a good portion of Christmas Eve because my parents and my sister do not get along. Having a breakdown on Christmas is is a horrible feeling. I sympathized with my sister.

My dad is a judgmental piece of crap. To complex of a scab to pick at.

God is NOT dead, but that hasn't stopped some people.

I feel like I could become a monster, and pardon the cliche but that terrifies me.

I feel lied to and cheated in many ways.
4th Jan 2020, 4:58 AM #502
Kyo
🐊
vaping is probably fine health wise, as long as you make sure not to use the nicotine based stuff (because it's addictive). Here's a good video about it if you're interested. it's basically the same stuff that's in smoke machines, so the health effects are fairly well researched. the only potentially dodgy thing would be the flavouring
4th Jan 2020, 6:38 AM #503
Botanist
could swear someone was trying to say vaporized glycerin produced a carcinogen, but damned if i can find the info on it any more.
4th Jan 2020, 6:57 AM #504
Kyo
🐊
i mean there's no harm in not getting health advice from webcomic forums, playing it safe and just inhaling regular old air. I'm definitely not an expert on the subject, i really don't know anything about vaping beyond having watched that video i linked. My intended main point was really more to steer clear from the nicotine stuff if you're gonna do it, but I guess I should be more careful making statements about health dangers of things
5th Jan 2020, 12:09 AM #505
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
how the fuck do people ask for help from friends, peers, or loved ones and not feel like an asshole for it
5th Jan 2020, 12:37 AM #506
Kyo:vaping is probably fine health wise, as long as you make sure not to use the nicotine based stuff (because it's addictive). Here's a good video about it if you're interested. it's basically the same stuff that's in smoke machines, so the health effects are fairly well researched. the only potentially dodgy thing would be the flavouring

I use the menthol liquid, which should be okay.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
5th Jan 2020, 12:42 AM #507
yesterday, you said junoro
keltyzoid!:how the fuck do people ask for help from friends, peers, or loved ones and not feel like an asshole for it

I find it helps when I think about how I would react if someone asked me for help. Usually, I do want to give my loved ones a hand if they need it. Everyone needs help sometimes. You're not a jerk for trying to not suffer alone!
5th Jan 2020, 12:42 AM #508
lirvilas:I agree, publicly assassinating that Iranian general was fucking nuts. I mean, that motherfucker deserved to die, but wasting him on the Baghdad tarmac in full view of everybody?!

oh

I think it depends on whether the United States had actual evidence that he had planned an imminent attack on American civilians. Trump should have never called an attack against him preemptively, just because he felt there was a risk that he could attack Americans without solid evidence that he was going to do so. I agree that Iran is for the most part a pretty weird place, though. It's a little like an Islamic version of North Korea - both are totalitarian and have a "supreme leader", both consider the USA to be their arch enemy, and I believe both of them get on quite well with each other, although I suspect only because they're both rogue states with a common enemy.

Pulling out of the Iran nuclear agreement was a stupid thing for the USA to do, though. Even if Iran was breaking the terms, which I suspect they probably were, it would have been far safer for America to have warned them and threatened to carry out more regular enforcement checks on them.

In a worst case scenario, perhaps Trump wants to start a war in the hope that it will win him a landslide victory later this year (like what happened to Bush in 2004 and Margaret Thatcher in 1983).

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
17th Jan 2020, 2:31 PM #509
I only made it into my apartment today before I broke down.

[Some heavy, melancholic stuff]

---
17th Jan 2020, 5:15 PM #510
Drum bum
Phoenix, not to simplify that conversation down because I'm sure there's more to it than that, but this really sounds like you just need better friends, man. If they're ridiculing you for appearance features that you have no control over, they're toxic. I'm not being melodramatic when I say that - we stan self love in this bitch, and if they're tearing you down... well, I'd wager you're probably better off alone.

finally, nyomi discovers why people in college just dont sleep. i did pretty good the first semester with sleep. its been a hell of a week, though, and insominas kickin my ass. "take melatonin!" you cry. if i'm already super tired, melatonin just makes me a cranky bitch, and i'd rather be pleasantly sleepy and suffer the next day than super cranky because the hall's too loud for me to sleep.

well,l im going home this weekend. i should get good sleeps then.
17th Jan 2020, 7:06 PM #511
[/spoiler]

I agree with Nyomi that you may need to...if possible find people who are less concerned with tearing you down. I know it's hard...I don't want to get too personal, but I had two friends I had to part ways with...and they weren't even doing what your "friends" are. I agree, there may be some other stuff at work here, but if you can surround yourself with people who help you feel good and actually have your well being in mind, that can at least act a support system. I mean, while we all have improvements to make in our art, you are most certainly NOT a bad artist. And I've seen your progress over the years. The other thing that worries me is the crap making fun of physical features. Real friends don't' do that--it's so stupid and superfluous! It doesn't matter. I know my dad got flack for that, too, since his mom's from the Philippines and he is shorter than my mom. Never stopped him from doing anything. And as an adult, no one really cared.

Hey Nyomi! I feel ya there. Ugh...I hope you get some sleep this weekend! Melatonin helps if you don't have to get up the next day, and you've done other stuff to wind down, but I find that if I take it, and can't fall asleep, or have to get up early the next day, I just get a head ache the next day. It can help, but it's not a solve all XD

My partner had insomnia really bad...we are still working on it, but we had to get him on a schedule and make sure he didn't break on the weekend XD But...he's got some depression issues and anxiety that keeps him up, too. He still sometimes can't sleep if his mind is racing (uh...I think he's rubbed off on me a bit XD That's not good o_O)

I guess the only suggestion I can give (and this may not even be helpful, or you may already do it,) is to wind down about an hour before bed: no phones, no tv, nothing. Just listen to some soft music with the lights dimmed down if you can. We kinda make a ritual of getting ready for bed (god...we're like toddlers in our house!) But anyway, we just sit on our couch in the dim light, drink chamomile tea and listen to classical or lo-fi hip hop until we get drowsy. Doesn't always work...but making a this habit helped my partner a lot. Anyway, I do hope you can sleep while at home!

Edit:

While I'm here, I want to bitch about how sick I am of the weather being 52 degrees one day, then below 30 the next. These pressure changes keep giving me headaches, and I have shit to do -_- I also hate taking pills (for anything, within reason,) but I may just have to down a couple ibuprofen if it doesn't let up. Snow one day, sunny and warm(ish) the next. Just be winter until Spring!
19th Jan 2020, 10:54 PM #512
Thanks to the both of you. It's nice to hear that it's not only me being dramatic, that there's actually something off about this friendship. I tend to swoop things under the rug. Thing that shouldn't be, all because I convince myself it's normal.
So thank you for confirming that it's not and that I shouldn't be treated like this.

---

On another note,
I smashed the screen of my phone. The first time this has ever happened, and I'm kind of stressed out because I don't have money for this. I was going to save up money for a proper gaming computer instead of my old laptop, and then after a while get a new phone, because it's been having issues for a good while now, but this definitely puts that computer on hold.
All this is going out of my student loans. Yay. I'm already about 8k in debt and still no education, so money at this point is something that really stresses me out.
I'll be gray before my 30s, I swear.

So that's how my 2020 is going.

---
20th Jan 2020, 7:10 PM #513
I can explain
Have I mentioned yet that I hate phone/internet companies? Because I hate phone/internet companies.

I'm the IT guy at work. We recently-ish switched to a new phone/network system, and it has not gone well, to put it mildly.

They just told me to power down the VoIP router, leave it off for two minutes, and then power it back up, to see if that fixes some weird phone issues that they claim is related to a network failover.

I'm re-reading the contract now. It specifies 99.999% availability, which is the typical standard for business-critical services. That means five minutes downtime per year. However, it also says that the penalty for downtime is "one day free per hour unavailable in a month". Which means they have to miss their guaranteed uptime by two orders of magnitude before it starts actually costing them.

Which means I'm now looking at that "three or more instances of failed availability in a calendar year allow penalty-less cancellation of the contract" clause, because fuck this shit.
20th Jan 2020, 11:30 PM #514
My car was towed AGAIN yesterday at my GF's apartment. The first time it was towed my gf asked the apartments where I should park. I parked in those spaces and was still towed. The workers in the apartment office agreed that it was the correct location to park but because it was not in writing they did not give us my car back.

We had to pay $160 in cash from a shady towing company.

What made it worse is that I got mad at my gf for not being absolutely sure. And now we're not on speaking terms. I'm super frustrated right now and can't find the motivation to work on my comic
22nd Jan 2020, 12:16 PM #515
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
That sounds so dodgy. Can you do anything about it?
22nd Jan 2020, 9:00 PM #516
If you're asking me, I called the police to see what I should do but they were really rude and told me to handle it on my own. The moral of the story is to get EVERYTHING in writing
30th Jan 2020, 12:23 AM #517
Pets

---
30th Jan 2020, 1:48 AM #518
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
megamaster:If you're asking me, I called the police to see what I should do but they were really rude and told me to handle it on my own. The moral of the story is to get EVERYTHING in writing

Yea, but can you get it in writing when a towing company just decide to steal your car? what the hell?
30th Jan 2020, 9:10 PM #519
megamaster:If you're asking me, I called the police to see what I should do but they were really rude and told me to handle it on my own. The moral of the story is to get EVERYTHING in writing

Sounds more like the moral of the story is that police have too much job security.
31st Jan 2020, 10:34 PM #520
and the Sorcerer's Stone