Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Air your grievances here.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Air your grievances here.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [12]

23rd Jan 2019, 12:39 AM #61
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
keltyzoid!:florida is terrible for obvious reasons, but one thing i'm extremely sick of: the giant palmetto bugs. they're basically cockroaches, except massive and will come into your clean ass house for no other reason than to scare the shit out of you.

Preach, brother, preach. They're basically from a 50's atomic horror monster movie. (really, they're like 2 to 2.5 inch-long cockroaches.)
23rd Jan 2019, 1:26 AM #62
Lutztoons
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
keltyzoid!: florida is terrible for obvious reasons, but one thing i'm extremely sick of: the giant palmetto bugs. they're basically cockroaches, except massive and will come into your clean ass house for no other reason than to scare the shit out of you.

I don't live anywhere near the Southern US, but I can attest to how bad palmetto bugs are because I used to vacation in Gulf Shores, Alabama with my family. These gigantic bugs would bumble around at night and smack into your windshield, bursting all over it. NASTY.
23rd Jan 2019, 3:09 AM #63
SMAComix

Registration date: 6th Jan 2017
Meanwhile I am trying not to break a bone walking on icy sidewalks in New England specifically in Boston. It's bad for anxiety or manic periods. I swear people near government center don't know what a shovel is, and how to use one as opposed to North Station. Kind of an assurance that hungover fans and the homeless don't get to slip and fall on my way to work. I was trying to go back home after filing a police report.

Some days there is no sidewalk. You just walk on the road instead. I pity the sparrows that choose to stay here. Just this morning this rabbit decided to run across the street and sit there onto oncoming traffic. I never knew bunnies felt existential dread.
23rd Jan 2019, 3:05 PM #64
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
SMAComix:Shekets, Gabby, I have trouble with PCOS as well. I understand how difficult it is to find medication and insurance. I’m trying to find employment full time for this. But some birth control I cannot use because of my migraines.

I did more research on the type of BC I would need to be on to deal with it (an ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate combination pill), and it's pretty much going to require a doctor's visit and prescription.
Pretty much all of Washington outside of Seattle/King County and Olympia got screwed by the Affordable Care Act, and only a few mom and pop companies and businesses here offer healthcare. Most of the big-name retailers offer it, but the number of jobs is limited. I need to learn how to drive before I can try applying to any jobs, because jobs here require a minimum of 30 minutes commute (that's how it be when you live out in the country though, it's really difficult to live in WA outside of the big cities because transit is really unreliable and very limited).

Good luck to you on getting full time employment and hopefully some coverage to deal with the pcos.

--

My personal fears are starting to become realized. Pretty sure someone tampered with one of the locks on my door yesterday. It's a nervous habit of mine to double and triple-check the door locks and the deadbolt was turned, but not enough to disengage the lock. I'm really concerned.
From my area of the house, usually I'm dead quiet and I can hear whenever someone is on the front porch, and I swear to god I've heard someone walking around out front a couple days ago, casing the house. At first I thought it was the mailman or a delivery service (I buy a lot of stuff online, sue me), but hide and remain pretty vigilant and check things out when I know for sure they're gone. When I checked, there wasn't any mail, no one knocked, no political solicitation papers, nothing of that sort.

There was a triple homicide on Christmas in the county over (not far from here though), and another suspicious death (police are saying they don't think it's the same person who committed the triple homicide) and we haven't had homicide activity like that since the 1960s.
There have been several break-ins as well, and people posing as city workers to get into peoples' homes. The crime rate here has risen by, what I last saw, about 500% in the past year. Most of it is likely heroin junkies trying to steal shit to make money for their next fix.

I'm almost always home (I am only ever out for 1 or 2 days a month) so if anyone tries or successfully breaks in, when the adrenaline hits, I'm going to probably kill them. Or they're going to walk away very appreciative of life and with some hefty medical bills. Either way, extremely foolish of them considering law enforcement and EMTs are unlikely to be able to respond for upwards of an hour.

I'm looking into getting a security camera for the front door. I already have living habits that make house look occupied when I'm gone and unoccupied when I'm here.
23rd Jan 2019, 3:14 PM #65
Pavchka
Affection Bus
Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
My colleagues and I (I work for PostNL as a postwoman) are dealing with the same problem, SMA. The village I work in has only cleaned the most important streets and the inhabitants aren't shoveling/salting them either for whatever reason. There are a few things you could try:

- Wear thick (ski/thermo/skating) socks around your shoes for traction
- Put rubber bands around your shoes, they stick to the ice
- Socks + rubber bands
- Find a place that sells snow spikes aka snowsteps

I have shoes with deep enough profile, otherwise I prefer the rubber band method because we have a neverending supply of those on our depot. I personally think the sock method is gross and I haven't bought spikes yet, maybe I will when they're on sale.
23rd Jan 2019, 3:45 PM #66
Damatris
the only thing I'll hit is the books
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
I'm having miserable time with a head cold.

Before that I slept poorly for over a week (even up to having a sleep paralysis one night) and then the temperature dropped suddenly to -23 celsius. Like 10 degree drop in one day... So it's not surprising I caught one but still. Having ears popping every 30 mins, throat feeling like someone has stuffed a woolen sock there and going through tissues like crazy. And sneezing hard enough to fling my earphones off. And my lips are chapped to hell and back. Blergh.
23rd Jan 2019, 5:02 PM #67
Kev

Registration date: 14th Oct 2015
Damatris:(even up to having a sleep paralysis one night)

ooh! Did you have visions too? What did you see?

Sorry, I'm very fascinated with sleep paralysis.

Also, I have been using lip scrub the past two winters for my lips and it's been working wonders. I then put a balm on my lips after I use the scrub.
23rd Jan 2019, 5:13 PM #68
Damatris
Kev:ooh! Did you have visions too? What did you see?

Sorry, I'm very fascinated with sleep paralysis.
Also, I have been using lip scrub the past two winters for my lips and it's been working wonders. I then put a balm on my lips after I use the scrub.

No, not this time. I had a very physical feeling of being smothered while simultaneously being hastily rolled into a rug as if someone was kidnapping me. But previously when I've had it, I saw slowly advancing black figures accompanied with absolute dread and "knowledge" something very very bad would happen once they would reach me. :')

I probably should try lip scrub! I always get chapped lips and dry skin during winter but usually drowning myself in lip balm and lotion is enough. But being sick sure is amping it up.
23rd Jan 2019, 5:15 PM #69
phoenixjklin

Registration date: 15th Oct 2015
Damatris:No, not this time. I had a very physical feeling of being smothered while simultaneously being hastily rolled into a rug as if someone was kidnapping me. But previously when I've had it, I saw slowly advancing black figures accompanied with absolute dread and "knowledge" something very very bad would happen once they would reach me. :')

Ohmygod that's terrifying. I've seen a lot of shit, but thank god I haven't had sleep paralysis. Yet, at least.

---
23rd Jan 2019, 8:29 PM #70
Jessie Blue
rivaling gator
Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
The temps dropped so hard here that our pipes froze for two days, and now that it is warm enough to thaw the water meter is leaking inside the wall and we have to leave it shut off until someone comes to look at it. My landlord threw a huge fit when I showed it to him, fortunately he's not blaming us but is mad at the city for installing these shitty plastic meters (that are inside the wall, but still also exposed enough to freeze).

Fortunately I have a couple of big water bottles for changing the water in the fish tank, so we can still like flush the toilets, but I've been three days without a shower or being able to clean anything and trying not to like die here.
23rd Jan 2019, 9:34 PM #71
Pavchka
Affection Bus
Registration date: 6th Aug 2013
@Kev: I get sleep paralysis as well when I'm stressed out (which means I haven't had a bout in nearly a year now). There's some kind of logic to it as a fit always develops the same way. I'll describe the feeling for you, this stuff's fascinating.

Chances of me getting sleep paralysis are highest when I wake up between 04:00 and 07:00 AM. I once read a book that called that time the "Hour of the Wolf" and it's spot on because once I wake up, I start worrying about everything and nothing so badly that I can't sleep until 07:00.

I can actually feel a fit coming. It starts with a pulsating pressure and hiss that seems to come from inside my head (hssh... hssh... hssh... hssh...) and that isn't my heartbeat. Then I can't move anymore and my eyes start to close. If I can force them to stay open I'm okay, but it takes effort, like my eyelids weight a ton each. I once went through an episode with one eye open and one eye closed. Another time my left eye was closed and my right eye was blinking like a relay was clicking on and off. When my eyes close, the proverbial dookie hits the fan.

The hallucinations I experience are usually auditory only. I only got visual hallucinations once, which happened to also be the very first time I got sleep paralysis. I saw what looked like two white dots (like eyes) surrounded by jiggly lines, while high voices were screaming "GA WEG! GA WEG!" ("GO AWAY! GO AWAY!") at me. For over twenty years I had no idea what I saw until I watched a particular episode of Star Trek: TNG two or so weeks ago:

WTF! The episode is even called Night Terrors! That is exactly what I saw. I accidentally spat my tea back in the cup when I saw it.

Later hallucinations have always been auditory only. All I see is a black void, even if I should be seeing light through my eyelids. It's like my eyes have disconnected entirely. I hear a high pitched whine much like this and sounds that repeat every second like a long play record with a crack in it. Those repeating sounds can be anything; engine noises, electric arcing, explosions, distorted electronic screeching, I once had Picard (again with Star Trek) screaming "NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO" on repeat. Meanwhile my body feels like every part of it is in a vice. There's usually only one limb or finger or whatever I can move a little, and in order to wake up, I'll need to test every single piece of me to see if that's the thing. Then I move, or I breathe out, until I manage to break free. Afterwards I keep experiencing the pulsating pressure and "hssh hssh hssh" for over an hour. As long as that's there, I can't go back to sleep without paralysing again. After it's gone I can fall back asleep just fine, but until then I prefer to grab a book and read.

Curiously enough I used to get sleep paralysis when in a state of hypnopompia (the state between sleep and waking up) when I was little, while I now only get them when in a state of hypnagogia (when falling asleep). To be honest I prefer hypnagogic hallucinations over hypnopompic hallucinations. The hypnagogic hallucinations at least allow me to mentally prepare, while hypnopompic hallucinations used to transition from dreams straight into chaos and insanity. Imagine you're lying on the beach with Data and Bonnie the Bunny and suddenly all hell breaks loose. "Commander, would you care to ha- ZREUH ZREUH ZREUH ZREUH ZREUH ZREUH" Not nice, not nice at all.

I learned to rationalise the hallucinations, so I don't have that "sense of impending doom" I used to have when I didn't know what they were. Now they're mostly a waste of time that I'd rather spend sleeping.
23rd Jan 2019, 10:30 PM #72
shastab24

Registration date: 15th Mar 2012

EDIT: Spoilered because long post.
24th Jan 2019, 3:59 AM #73
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
@shastab I can't even imagine dealing with that every day. I worked for just a few weeks just calling people for the phone book delivery company just to check that they got their phone book and that it was in good condition. People were so freaking suspicious and rude. :(

---

So I hear back from these... dummies. About this..... devil box. And they want me to "hand it to any FedEx driver."

What.

Do I like

or like

I wasn't kidding about leaving the country for three weeks. I am leaving the country for three weeks. I'm also suddenly dog sitting all weekend, have to get all my projects handed over at work, wrap up all the artwork and lessons I'm doing for for my school, at some point I need to like... pack, aaaaand kinda wanted to clean my house so that it's not a trash heap when we get back. I have literally -100000000000000000 seconds to devote to this box.

Now you have read it and you are curse!!! Share this post in 5 threads or you will be visited by the devil box. If you share yourcrush will call you at midnight
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
26th Jan 2019, 3:14 AM #74
SMAComix

Even though I like to complain about man bun boss, sometimes he is good. Today I felt dizzy and lightheaded, which sent me into a panic attack. He helped explain the situation to my parents and I was allowed to leave early. I'm just mad I missed payday.

I wonder how I'm going to get my check now.
26th Jan 2019, 9:40 AM #75
Damatris
Dat feeling you get when you finally connect the dots and realize you've actually been having a depressive episode for the whole month.
28th Jan 2019, 5:17 PM #76
phoenixjklin

Registration date: 15th Oct 2015
This is more of a venting post, sorry if this isn't the place. Tell me and I'll delete it.

---
5th Feb 2019, 8:58 PM #77
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
You ever have a hobby that seems to have just the WORST people in it?

Magic players: I'm frothing at the mouth, I'm so mad that Wizards is designing cards with any regard for online play, even though it's mostly getting rid of niche options nobody ever uses, or prints more modal cards that can be mainboarded but also answer certain archetypes. I'm going to interpret their recent statement "paper Magic isn't going anywhere, there are no current plans for paper tournaments to go from best-of-3 to best-of-1 like Arena" as "we're going to make all tournaments best-of-1, no sideboard" because I NEED something to be mad about.

Also Magic players: How DARE they design legendary creatures that aren't specifically tailored for Commander. Why didn't we get new nephilim in Ravnica 3 except they're legendary now so I can use them in my four-color EDH deck? This card is useless in hundred-card singleton, why did they even bother printing it? I don't care that the past few sets are among the best ever, or that Commander players get a full dedicated annual product, or that the Modern and Standard metas haven't been better in years, I'm going to insist Magic is dying and exclusively because they aren't pandering hard enough to my specific format. PS: return to Kamigawa already

Seriously, I think every EDH player needs to get beat with a cluebat that reads "people can enjoy the same thing as you for different reasons, just because something doesn't seem fun to you doesn't mean everyone agrees". I'm sure not all of them are that bad, but they sure have a lot of entitled assholes.
5th Feb 2019, 9:04 PM #78
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
GMan003:You ever have a hobby that seems to have just the WORST people in it?

If reading superhero comics, ballroom dancing, or being a big fan of the Dave Matthews Band counts, then yes. Absolutely.
6th Feb 2019, 6:01 AM #79
keltyzoid!
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
i don't know if it's because i've spent like 5 hours mulling over pitch material and worrying and being anxious about my future, but i've lost a lot of confidence in my abilities, despite my bravado earlier today.

essentially my grievances are with myself, the way my brain works, and the existential angst of having a career just beyond my reach. any advice or consolation regarding careers and hopelessness?

also, a more general grievance, fuck menstruation and hormones. let my brain make the good sauce; it so rarely gets to.
10th Feb 2019, 6:15 AM #80
SMAComix

I saw my boss on Tinder...

That was embarrassing.