Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Opinion Poll: What's your favorite color? [important]

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Opinion Poll: What's your favorite color? [important]
Pages: [1] [2]

"Opinion Poll: What's your favorite color? [important]", 28th Dec 2018, 4:07 PM #1
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
I apologize for deceiving you, I do not care about what your favorite color is at all

Actually, what I'm here to talk to you about is blogs. Have you ever noticed how weird webcomic blogs are? Like cause you click it, and it displays 4 other blogs underneath the one you selected, and there's no pages and no comments. I mean, what the heck??

well don't even worry about all that, forget it ever happened. Let the wounds heal. I've redone the blog system to be brand spanking new, with a separate archive from the blog display page. And the blogs have comments! and the archive has pages!

If you're using a default layout that you haven't modified or if you're using the simple layout editor, you will get these changes automatically. Otherwise, you can either leave your layout as is and it'll keep working, just not have any of the new fancy features, or you'll have to make some manual changes I'm afraid.

Another thing worth noting is that comments can be enabled on a per-blog basis. If you want comments on your past blogs, you'll also have to edit those and tick the little "enable comments" blog on the edit screen

There's now a new layout section in the layout editor, for the individual blog display. By default, for modified layouts, this will contain a copy of your blog archive section. This just to retain backwards compatibility, both the blog archive and the blog display section will have to be redone / heavily modified to get the new features to work. Sorry! I know it's a big old hassle, but there isn't really a way around that, which doesn't involve time travel.

If you haven't edited your default layout in those sections, you can just copy it over from the default layout code for that section, but you'll have to make sure to get the css as well, or it might not look so great.

Otherwise, here's a basic guideline for editing your custom layout to work:

Updating your blog layout - all the basic steps:
This guide does assume that you at least sorta know how to get things to look the way you want using HTML and CSS.

Remember, on the layout edit screen, there's a link that says Download Layout Backup, in a gray box labeled "useful", either on the right side of the screen, or below the css section code, depending on your screen size. It's probably a good idea to make a backup before you start, in case you mess up and just want the old thing back. Not that you'd ever mess up, right???

Overview page

[l:latestblogs]

All blog related loops now have two new loop variables:

[v:l.comments] - contains the number of comments on this blog

[c:l.allowcomments] ... [/] - There's now a checkbox asking you when posting/editing blogs, whether you want to enable comments on this blog post. If you check that checkbox for a blog, the HTML code between this condition and it's end tag ([/]) will show up for that blog in the blog loops.
[c:l.allowcomments]
    This will only appear if this blog entry allows commenting
[/]

Here's a code example for showing a link to the blog view (where you can read and leave comments on a blog), but only when comments are enabled on that blog:
    <div class="blogmeta">
        <a href="[v:l.bloglink]">[v:l.comments] Comments &gt;&gt;</a>
    </div>
[/]

Blog Archive

This page will need to be changed more heavily

1. Remove the [l:blogarchive] ... [/] loop, and everything in it. You may also have to remove some supporting HTML, and change your CSS to accomodate for it being gone.

[l:blogarchive] ... [/] used to contain a list of all blog titles with links, since we now have pages, we won't need this anymore

2. change out [l:blogs] for [l:blogs_paginated] (necessary because [l:blogs] works in the old wonky way to retain backwards compatibility with old layouts)

2.5. You may also want to make the same change as in the overview section, and add something along the lines of this in your blogs_paginated loop:
    <div class="blogmeta">
        <a href="[v:l.bloglink]">[v:l.comments] Comments &gt;&gt;</a>
    </div>
[/]

Pro-Tip, you can select a block of text and hit tab in the layout editor to properly indent it. crazy, i know

3. Add a pages loop (or two, one at the top and one at the bottom, if you want)

Here's some example code:
[c:lastpagenumber>1]
    <div class="pageslabel">
        Pages:
    </div>
    <div class="pages">
        [l:pages]
            [c:l.skipped_ahead]
                <span class="pageskip">...</span>
            [/]

[c:l.is_current]
                <span class="currentpage">
            [/]

<a href="[v:l.pagelink]" class="pagelink">[v:l.page]</a>

[c:l.is_current]
                </span>
            [/]
        [/]
    </div>
[/]

Explanations of the above code:

The first condition ([c:lastpagenumber>1] ... [/]), checks if there is more than one page ([v:lastpagenumber] contains the last page number, as you might be able to image), thus if there's only one page, we don't display a page navigation at all

[l:pages] ... [/]

[l:pages] ... [/] is a loop that'll loop through a list of pages for a little page selector thingy at the bottom of the page, like we have here on the forums too.

The contents of [c:l.skipped_ahead] ... [/] will show up whenever the loop skipped ahead to a page more than 1 bigger than the previous.

So to explain this visually, if you get enough pages, at some point you have to start doing something like this:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 77 78 79

Whenever there's a skip (in this case it would be on page 77 in the list), this condition's contents show up, to allow you to visually display that there's a skip

[c:l.is_current] ... [/] - display this conditions contents, if this is the page we're currently on. So you can bold it or something

[v:l.pagelink] - contains a link to this page of the blog archive

[v:l.page] - the current page number

Blog Display

This page will essentially have to be completely redone. For modified layouts, it should currently contain the exact same code as the old blogarchive (before we updated it, if you're following this in order). Well, we want none of that, delete it all.

1. Blog related variables:

So obviously you'll want to display the blog post we're currently displaying, and probably some info about it. The variables have the same names as in any of the blog loops, minus the "l." part, of course.

[v:blogtitle] - contains the title of this blog entry

[v:blog] contains the blog contents, as HTML.

[v:posttime] - contains the time this blog was posted

[v:authorname] - contains the username of whoever wrote this blog entry

[v:avatar] - contains the avatar of the blog entry author

[c:avatar] ... [/] - you can use this to only diplay a block of code if the current poster has an avatar

[v:profilelink] - contains a link to the blog authors comicfury profile

[v:blogid] - you probably won't need this. Contains a unique ID for each blog entry

[v:nextbloglink] - contains a link to the next blog entry written after this one (if there is one)

[v:prevbloglink] - contains a link to the blog entry written before this one (if there is one)

You can use [c:prevbloglink] ... [/] and [c:nextbloglink] ... [/] to check if these links exist before displaying them

[v:blogarchivelink] - contains a link to the blog archive, on the page this blog entry is on

2. Comments

So note that in order to get your blog display comments, you can usually just copy pretty much everything from [c:showcomments] on in the comic display section, and paste it into the plog display section at the bottom. (possibly minus a closing tag at the end, depending on the layout).

[c:allowcomments] ... [/] - this conditions contents will only show up if this blog entry allows commenting

[v:commentlink] - contains a link to the comment form for this blog

[v:commentlink_noscript] - contains a link to the same form, but without the "close this window" thingy after commenting. Useful for if you want to embed the comment form in an iframe

[l:comments] ... [/]

[l:comments] ... [/] - contains all the same variables as the comic comment loop (See also in the layout code thread)

Alright, if you followed all these instructions, your webcomic layout should now be ready to go! I'm so proud of you!!

If you need help with anything, feel free to ask for it in this thread!

PS: alright, alright, I wouldn't want to disappoint you
28th Dec 2018, 4:21 PM #2
Monday
don't tread on me
Registration date: 7th Jan 2014
you're exhausting, kyo
28th Dec 2018, 4:30 PM #3
Kyo
🐊
astronomically rude
28th Dec 2018, 4:50 PM #4
Monday
don't tread on me
Registration date: 7th Jan 2014
Kyo:astronomically rude

28th Dec 2018, 7:24 PM #5
TanteiSakana
Registration date: 29th Dec 2009
And here I was thinking from the thread title that ComicFury was going to get an option to return to the original hideous green color scheme :p
28th Dec 2018, 7:29 PM #6
Kyo
🐊
I've kinda been thinking about maybe adding a dark mode to the site
28th Dec 2018, 7:30 PM #7
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
Very cool, kyo! I made a blog post one (1) time and I had no way of knowing if anyone even read it. I get happier everyday that I chose this site as my hub world. Question, will this method also allow comments on random extra pages as well?
28th Dec 2018, 7:38 PM #8
Kyo
🐊
comments on extra pages are a very intriguing idea. It's not currently a thing, and the obvious problem is that you'd have to fit the comments code underneath the page code somehow, when extra pages all have their own custom code. Not that that makes it insurmountable... I'll pop that as an idea on the issue tracker

what you could do in the meantime as a solution is post your extra page as a blog entry instead, and then just link the blog display page for that specific blog entry in your top navigation, allowing you to get comments on it.
28th Dec 2018, 7:42 PM #9
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
I-I'll figure it out..
28th Dec 2018, 8:19 PM #10
Matt Comics
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
this is awesome, Kyo. I admit I skimmed through the instructions, but I'll actually read them when I'll update my blog. (it turns out I never messed with my blog page, but always wanted to, but I'm glad I waited long enough to get a new version to mess with)

also, this poll is a fraud. why are there only two options.
28th Dec 2018, 8:23 PM #11
LMS

Registration date: 11th Jul 2016
PS: alright, alright, I wouldn't want to disappoint you

But you did disappoint me, Kyo; there is no option for "Black".
28th Dec 2018, 8:54 PM #12
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
its red bro

(Nice features update!)
28th Dec 2018, 9:06 PM #13
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
Oh that's a great idea! I'll try it out, thanks!
29th Dec 2018, 12:27 AM #14
Text
And who could forget dear future knight
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Kyo:comments on extra pages are a very intriguing idea. It's not currently a thing, and the obvious problem is that you'd have to fit the comments code underneath the page code somehow, when extra pages all have their own custom code. Not that that makes it insurmountable... I'll pop that as an idea on the issue tracker

what you could do in the meantime as a solution is post your extra page as a blog entry instead, and then just link the blog display page for that specific blog entry in your top navigation, allowing you to get comments on it.

maybe a bit complicated, but perhaps this is something that we could create custom modules for, which we can somehow flag the layout system to insert in various areas of the site?
29th Dec 2018, 12:31 AM #15
Kyo
🐊
i probably would just do a new layout section that gets wrapped around extra pages (most layouts already wrap some stuff around them via conditions in the overall layout anyway)
29th Dec 2018, 7:58 AM #16
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
what are blogs?
29th Dec 2018, 1:30 PM #17
Kyo
🐊
they're a section for text posts on your webcomic site. In your webcomic management, under "Author Blog", there's an option to post them. The feature was pretty limited before, and should hopefully be more useful now. It can be used e.g. to post news about the comics you want to stick around for more than one comic page, or whatever

It might also make sense, if you want to make extensive use of the blog feature, to set the overview page as the default landing page of your webcomic, so people actually have a chance to see that there are new blog entries without having to click a link in your menu on a whim (if you haven't made any blog posts to your webcomic site, this link won't show up at all).

The overview page was also pretty janky on a lot of layouts (ypsilenna's layouts are the only ones where it wasn't, really), which was probably a contributing factor to most people not really using blogs. I'm going through the default layouts right now and updating the overview page with more proper page navigation, etc., I've already done quite a few, but not all of them yet
30th Dec 2018, 4:51 AM #18
BLACKWORK

Registration date: 17th Jun 2018
Kyo, I fucking love you so goddamn much. Never change.
30th Dec 2018, 5:16 AM #19
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Kyo:I've kinda been thinking about maybe adding a dark mode to the site

I thought C.F. was the Dark Side already ! B-)

p.s. 'Octarine' is my favourite colour
31st Dec 2018, 4:29 AM #20
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
So tough to decide between crt blue, yellow-green, and neon red.
Pages: [1] [2]