Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Being Hated vs Being Unknown

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Being Hated vs Being Unknown
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Being Hated vs Being Unknown", 6th Jan 2019, 5:35 PM #1
Kourtney

Registration date: 27th Dec 2018
Would you rather have your work be critically despised and be the butt of all jokes? Or would you rather have no one even notice your art?

Me personally, I'd prefer the former. At least if people tell you that you suck, you can learn from it. But if you're ignored, you'll never be able to improve.
6th Jan 2019, 5:41 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I won't lie. I would rather be a fly on the wall than to be hated and shamed to the point of not wanting to wake up in the morning. I had a problem with being hated in the past and I can say that I would never want to go through that again even if it did make me known. I don't want to be known like that. My own dignity wouldn't allow it.
6th Jan 2019, 5:49 PM #3
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
This kinda hypothetical choices make me think I'll be stuck with whichever option I pick for life. So like, even if I were to improve a ton, people would still hate my work and mock it everywhere, all the time. Which does not encourage me to improve, to be honest.

I'd go with radio silence. I assume I'd still be able to get feedback from friends and mentors upon request. That kinda critiques from trusted sources tend to be much more helpful than mockery from the masses who are not interested in your growth.
6th Jan 2019, 6:15 PM #4
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
While I agree that hate is nasty to deal with, I would agree with Kourtney overall. If no one notices you, you’re not reaching anyone. But if people hate you or your stuff so much that they’re venting about it on YouTube or in news articles...that’s free advertising. A lot of people read the news or watch YouTube. Yes it sucks to be hated, but I think people may come and check you out out of curiosity because you are so hated. I know I’m like that with certain things.

And after awhile, more people will probably like your stuff if you keep at it and keep improving despite all the hate. That hate can actually fuel us forward.

And even if a lot of people don’t recognize your gifts in your lifetime, just think of all the greats in history whose genius wasn’t recognized until long after they were dead. Just keep at it. You never know.
6th Jan 2019, 6:16 PM #5
ewolf20

Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
I honestly wanna avoid getting doxxed and laughed at for the the rest of my life so, I wanna be more niche.
6th Jan 2019, 6:29 PM #6
joeyballast
let himself go
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
Is this a situation where your work is despised but it's an animated show on fox? Despised but has a cult following where people gather to throw spoons at the screen and they make a movie about the making of your awful movie (The Rooooooooom)?

If the only payout is infamy with no cash return I'll take being unknown.
6th Jan 2019, 6:53 PM #7
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
MK_Wizard:I won't lie. I would rather be a fly on the wall than to be hated and shamed to the point of not wanting to wake up in the morning. I had a problem with being hated in the past and I can say that I would never want to go through that again even if it did make me known. I don't want to be known like that. My own dignity wouldn't allow it.

This. ^

To be honest, I would like to be known for the quality of my work and not for how much I suck. Knowing that I will never be Chris-Chan V2 gives me a reason to wake up in the morning, I guess.
6th Jan 2019, 7:13 PM #8
SMAComix

Registration date: 6th Jan 2017
I am already hated. So might as well go with a bang!
6th Jan 2019, 7:19 PM #9
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
I'll take the latter.

Sure, it can hurt when you're so giddy and proud of something you made, only to find out there's not a single soul besides you who gives a flying flip about it. It can be downright heartbreaking, even! But of my own collections of comics I've toiled away on over the years, I can look back at them and remember how much fun I had making them and they bring a smile to my face. I eventually ended up making a dear friend who I got to show them to and he genuinely enjoyed them, and two other old friends ended up reading them, despite us being out of touch for so long. And hey, if anyone misses me when I die, they can wander into my archives and see what that girl's been up to all these years. :P It's like having a journal.

I can't say I've experienced it, but I fear that if my passions and work became a joke, it might just kill my enjoyment entirely. It's hard enough to work when you have the pressure of knowing people are going to see it, but seeing it just to ridicule it? Heaven forbid, I know there's plenty of things in my comic to make fun of. I ain't perfect. But what if I go looking back at my old works, and I can't feel that happiness anymore, because all I can remember is the ridicule? I don't know how to deal with that, honestly. Maybe just never show anyone anything, or emotionally detach myself from my own work so that the ridicule doesn't get to me anymore? Which is also going to kill the fun of making it, so why make it at all?

And from what it looks like on a place as vast as the internet, when things are critically despised, the hate becomes a trend and genuine criticism is buried under... hating things just to hate things. I wonder if Stephenie Meyer can glean any helpful criticism out of all the "Still a better love story than Twilight" memes.
6th Jan 2019, 7:32 PM #10
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Either one, but for the first one it'd depend what the ratio of "mindless haters" to "people who genuinely enjoy the content". A lot of times artists, musicians, authors etc. only get (in)famous because of some perceived controversy that may warrant criticism but not straight on relentless hate/memes, but even some of the most mocked people (example Tommy Wiseau), tend to garner lots of real fans thanks to the controversy and media attention (even if they're still memetastic LOL). Assuming they don't crumble thanks to the tirade of memes and mockery, these guys/gals usually leverage the exposure from the "memes" and make the most of it. I still think "The Room" is terrible, but I genuinely enjoyed Tommy Wiseau's new movie "Best Friends".

Conversely, lots of people who are popular and generally well liked still have a fair amount of haters. Think Bill Gates and all the conspiracies on him, if you think about it, if he ignored all the admiration he cherry picked all the NWO conspiracy stuff it'd make the average dude go nuts, but I think a sort of weird benefit of having lots of mindless hate thrown at you is that your emotional immune system sort of gets stronger, aka you get a thicker skin. I think that's what celebrity is, a lot of people hating you, a lot of people liking you. So in the end I think i'd take either if I had to, but if the first one is 100% mockery I'd say nah bro lol.
6th Jan 2019, 7:38 PM #11
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Stares at the ceiling from my bed.
Already experienced the hate, not on a large scale but a local one.
6th Jan 2019, 7:46 PM #12
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Honestly? I'd rather die than be locked into either.
6th Jan 2019, 8:14 PM #13
Bolderousness
persevered past being called "boulderousness"
Registration date: 24th Aug 2018
In the context of comic making, I'd rather have it be unknown. Why? Because everyone starts out unknown. We've all been there. There will be a following eventually and I have other things that bring me joy, regardless. Comic making is only a hobby in my mind. Plus I really have no idea why my comic is hated in the context of this question. Is it controversial and offensive, poorly made, or am I just a dick? Since I don't know and I'd rather not have another label stuffed onto me arbitrarily that will take years to alleviate, it's pretty irresponsible for me to choose being hated.
6th Jan 2019, 8:21 PM #14
Lutztoons
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
The idea of being the universally-hated butt of all jokes fills me with pants-shitting terror. I mean, I already experienced that kind of treatment from the various bullies of my youth and I do not want relive those times. I’d rather have comfortable anonymity where I have the freedom to live my life in peace.
6th Jan 2019, 8:29 PM #15
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
I've been hated (by the Bendis Board bully cabal), both for me and for my work, and, yeah... it was pretty awful. I was stressed out from it, and I even had nightmares. Anonymity would be better than that... but I'm a storyteller, which is intrinsically valuable only if someone's hearing the damn stories. If those were truly my only options, I'd just move back to the woods and start a cat sanctuary.
6th Jan 2019, 8:31 PM #16
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
Yeah I think I'd much rather be unknown than despised. I would prefer my comic not become the next Sonichu.
6th Jan 2019, 8:57 PM #17
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
Haha, to be Rob Leifeild or Michael Kormarck.....honestly, if you research eaches net worth, its obvious what attributes to more success.

People also hate Teen Titans go, seriously people on youtube will just not shut up about how much they think it sucks. But look at how much the movie grossed, the creators are laughing thier way to the bank.

I hate most of what the movie industry produces, yet it is a billion dollar industry with even more money coming. Same can be said with Naruto, which has made Masashi Kishimoto a multi-millionare.

Being hated is less of a big deal than you think. If people are willing to hate a streamer who donates to charity (Ninja) or hate on someone just for making music since they were 14 (Justin Beiber), its safe to petty hatred is a mundane thing you shouldnt concern yourself with, not even to mention hatred is the internets specialty, if you are famous, people will hate you. There is nothing you can do about it.

So the only thing that matters is how much you love your work and how much YOU attain to self improve. Dont get me wrong, its ok to accept peoples opinions, but if it isnt constructive or isnt helpful or doesnt contribute to your self improvement,and especially if its derogitory, by all means tell them to hose off.

You are 100% free to do you and let no one stop you.

Also fun fact about being known but hated, you can always improve and still have that huge audience.

Merged Doublepost:

ShaRose49:While I agree that hate is nasty to deal with, I would agree with Kourtney overall. If no one notices you, you’re not reaching anyone. But if people hate you or your stuff so much that they’re venting about it on YouTube or in news articles...that’s free advertising. A lot of people read the news or watch YouTube. Yes it sucks to be hated, but I think people may come and check you out out of curiosity because you are so hated. I know I’m like that with certain things.

And after awhile, more people will probably like your stuff if you keep at it and keep improving despite all the hate. That hate can actually fuel us forward.

And even if a lot of people don’t recognize your gifts in your lifetime, just think of all the greats in history whose genius wasn’t recognized until long after they were dead. Just keep at it. You never know.

Thats true, just look at the movie The Room.
People thought they were destroying Tommy Wiesou by blasting how bad that movie was, now its got a cult following because it was the first "So bad its good" movie.
6th Jan 2019, 10:09 PM #18
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
You make more money being hated. I think I'd take that.

Especially if it were "people hate my work" and not "people hate my work and also think I'm Satan". And honestly, at least if your work is being criticized, at least it's making some people think. I'm far more influenced by media I really dislike than media I feel completely ambivalent about. Maybe it'll inspire someone to make something better.
6th Jan 2019, 10:14 PM #19
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
Kourtney:Would you rather have your work be critically despised and be the butt of all jokes? Or would you rather have no one even notice your art?

Me personally, I'd prefer the former. At least if people tell you that you suck, you can learn from it. But if you're ignored, you'll never be able to improve.

constructive criticism is good. but hates just to hate not.

6th Jan 2019, 10:23 PM #20
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018

Y'know, I'd go the Tommy Wiseau way.
Sure, let my comic be considered "garbage", but the pure thrills will motivate me to make more and see priceless reactions.
Until it gets serious and someone knows my real life adress...