Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Does Comic Fury Have a Way to Have Infinite Canvas Webcomics?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > Does Comic Fury Have a Way to Have Infinite Canvas Webcomics?
Pages: [1]

"Does Comic Fury Have a Way to Have Infinite Canvas Webcomics?", Two weeks ago, 8:18 PM #1
Otto Mottonn

Registration date: 27th Nov 2018
I've got a few ideas for Infinite Canvas Webcomics from years ago when I was dating a girl who could program, and would love to finally do them, but being poor and NOT computer savvy, I can't do them on my own.

It would be great to have that ability here, if it's possible.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but like I said, I'm NOT computer savvy and programming seems like strange weird magic to me.

Two weeks ago, 8:35 PM #2
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
There's no limits aside from the file size restrictions on having a very tall image for your page (i.e. 800x7000). There are multiple comics producers here who use that capability.

Kyo (site owner/operator) has speculated about eventually building multi-image support, but that's not a thing yet.
13 days ago, 5:24 PM #3
Xenocartographer
has a sweet tooth
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
It's not a stupid question at all! This whole subforum is about layout hacks. :)

Aaaaaaaaanyway, you're acting like a client here, and the first thing a developer worth their salt does is figure out what exactly the client wants. What does an "infinite canvas" mean to you, and what do you want to do with it? Don't worry about feasibility or implementation here! CF is very flexible, and I'd hate to give you a suboptimal answer because you assumed something was impossible. (It happens!) Gimme some details, and I'll see about realizing them.
13 days ago, 5:59 PM #4
Jessie Blue
rivaling gator
Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
Do you mean infinite as in really long boi? Or infinite as in going in all directions? Because other than filesize, you can upload pages of about any dimension you like, keeping the width between 800-1000 is simply a recommendation (to make scrolling and reading easier for your readers). Here you can do pretty much anything you want. If you wanted to like upload a huge map or maze and people were supposed to scroll around and find things that is totally up to you. ComicFury even supports .gif so you can put animation in your pages if you want.
12 days ago, 11:09 AM #5
eekee

Registration date: 15th Sep 2016
Xenocartographer has a good question. Sometimes the biggest problem with tech is people mean different things by the same term. :) "Infinite canvas" always makes me think of that one comic about robot ennui, Nine Planets Without Intelligent Life. It does it well and simply.

If that's what you mean, it's easy. Some new artists invoke it by accident, just by uploading a too-big image. :) The site takes it, but to be practical about it, you should disable keyboard navigation so people can use the left and right arrow keys to pan your image. That won't be hard. On the other hand, if you just want a long vertical image, you can leave keyboard navigation in. (Personally, I hate ComicFury's keyboard navigation because it always triggers when I try to use the shortcut keys for browse-back and browse-forward: alt-left and alt-right.)
"Infinite Canvas webcomics", 8 days ago, 3:28 AM #6
Otto Mottonn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_canvas

"The infinite canvas refers to the potentially limitless space that is available to webcomics presented on the World Wide Web. The term was introduced by Scott McCloud in his 2000 book Reinventing Comics, in which he suggested that webcomic creators could make a Web page as large as needed to contain a comic page of any conceivable size. This infinite canvas would create an endless amount of storytelling benefits and would allow creators much more freedom in how they present their artwork."

There is a link and a description of what Infinite Canvas webcomics are.

8 days ago, 3:38 AM #7
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Everyone knows the definition of infinite canvas comics. The problem is the definition includes multiple types of comics, and some of those types have tricky requirements for displaying properly on a website.

EDIT: e.g. If it's as simple as mine, you just put a really tall (or a really wide) image for each comic page. Bam, it's done.

But if it's something like Hobo Lobo, which has parallax scrolling, then I have nooo idea if that's possible on CF, or how that would be done.
8 days ago, 3:44 AM #8
Xenocartographer
has a sweet tooth
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
I mean, if all you want is an arbitrary amount of space for a very big image, there's literally nothing to it. Buuuuuut since you asked for help, it's a fair bet you have something in mind a little beyond that. It's like eekee said, the hardest part of a tech issue is often figuring out what exactly someone's asking for.
8 days ago, 5:13 AM #9
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Otto Mottonn:The term was introduced by Scott McCloud in his 2000 book Reinventing Comics, in which he suggested that webcomic creators could make a Web page as large as needed to contain a comic page of any conceivable size. This infinite canvas would create an endless amount of storytelling benefits and would allow creators much more freedom in how they present their artwork.

Freedom? Perhaps. Smart phones interfaces are the usual means of how today's artwork is presented, which is not something McCloud could have foreseen in 2000. They are not the same as high resolution computer monitors, which is where the work is usually created.

Constraints still exist and must be accounted for when deciding on presentation.
8 days ago, 7:47 AM #10
eekee

Registration date: 15th Sep 2016
Maybe a good first question would be, "What are you visualizing?"
8 days ago, 1:35 PM #11
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Like everyone says here, you can tweak the size of your comic page any size you want. Like another person asked though, what is your vision for the infinite canvas? To showcase an entire comic at once or an art piece?
One week ago, 6:30 AM #12
Otto Mottonn

What I'd like to do is have the reader be able to follow the action in the story by scrolling along and reading the comic like when you zoom into a map in a video game and see where you were and want to go; just have the places where you've been accessible and just that little section and not a whole page.

Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > Does Comic Fury Have a Way to Have Infinite Canvas Webcomics?
Pages: [1]