Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Your 10 Favorite Cartoons

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Your 10 Favorite Cartoons
Pages: [1] [2]

"Your 10 Favorite Cartoons", Two weeks ago, 12:50 AM #1
Kourtney

Registration date: 27th Dec 2018
I'm on a roll with these kinds of forums. So, I'll start this show by listing my 10 favorite cartoons of all time.

10.) Captain Planet
9.) The Simpsons (pre-2005)
8.) Ren and Stimpy (the original, NOT the adult version)
7.) Sailor Moon
6.) Johnny Bravo
5.) Beavis and Butthead
4.) Boondocks
3.) Metalocalypse
2.) The Powerpuff Girls (the original, NOT the reboot)
1.) King of the Hill

What say you?
Two weeks ago, 12:59 AM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
1- Simpsons (up until season 7)
2- Sailor Moon
3- Power Puff Girls
4- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (classic and reboot)
5- She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (classic and Reboot)
6- Steven Universe
7- King of the Hill
8- Spongebob (before the first movie)
9- Aladdin the series
10- Transformers (G1, Animated and Armada)

I have three bonuses;

Batman the Animed Series
Superman the Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Two weeks ago, 1:08 AM #3
Xailenrath
unfeathered yet airborne
Registration date: 26th Sep 2014
only 10, huh?
OK... I'll TRY to narrow it down.

10 - Miraculous Ladybug
9 - Gargoyles
8 - The Real Ghostbusters
7 - Static Shock
6- Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys
5 - Justice League/Unlimited
4 - TMNT 2012
3 - Animaniacs
2 - Young Justice
1 - DuckTales 2017

Can I put about 127 'Honorable Mentions'?
No?
Darn.

Two weeks ago, 2:49 AM #4
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
Dude! Three of my favourite cartoons are on your list! Hah! I’m not the only one

Miraculous Ladybugimage

TMNT (2012)

Haikyuu

Young Justice

Wolverine and the X-Men

Figure 17

Emara

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes

One Punch Man

The Spectacular Spider-Man

I really wanted to include Batman: The animated series and Batman Beyond...
Two weeks ago, 3:40 AM #5
Xailenrath
unfeathered yet airborne
Registration date: 26th Sep 2014
ShaRose49:
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes

Huge props for adding A:EMH!
I feel that it didn't get enough love or a real chance to shine.
Mind you, I grew to love Avengers Assemble, but, it took a WHILE!
I'm an old school comics nerd, and when they subbed out EMH for AA, just so it could be more in line with the MCU, I was LIVID-ANGRY!
The funny thing is, now that I've gotten used to all that, they switched up AGAIN!
The art style is now in line with their new Spider-Man toon, and the whole season focuses solely on Black Panther.

I still haven't come to love and accept the new Spider-Man. I had JUST gotten to like and accept Ultimate Spider-Man after Disney did the exact thing to Spectacular Spider-Man that they did to A:EMH!! Now, they've changed up AGAIN, and they KEEP trying to make the cartoons into one big Marvel Cinematic (Animated) Universe!
(WHYYYY?!!)

Also, I feel that Black Panther can carry his own cartoon (hell, he's DOING IT NOW, and pretty admirably, at that!), so it was unnecessary to call the show Avengers (when the rest of the Avengers are barely even IN it - Hulk and Falcon haven't shown up AT ALL!) just to 'sell' it to the audience!
The few things that I've read online regarding the changes all fall back on the old excuse that they don't want to 'confuse' the audience, but, the abrupt change in art style and throwing what little 'continuity' they had out the window does just that!

-sorry for that rant. my Nerd Rage gets the best of me, sometimes.
I dig your other cartoon choices, as well, particularly Wolverine and the X-Men, which, I had to cut from my list after agonizing debate.
Honestly, if I could, I would just pick (almost) every superhero cartoon.
(I will not be ranting about them, I promise.)
:D

Two weeks ago, 3:42 AM #6
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
10. (The Original) Duck Tales - This is really the first genuinely GOOD cartoon I ever watched, because, if we're honest, the stuff I was watching in the early-to-mid-'80s, like Transformers, Superfriends, Go-Bots, Scooby-Doo... they were all shit. Near-absolute tripe. This, though... this was substantive in so affecting a manner that it led me to my first attempts at fanfic-ish storytelling -- which were awful, of course, as I was like 6 or something... but it lit the fuse. It was a bit too repetitive at times, but it raised the bar regardless.

9. Batman Beyond - A shockingly well-conceived future-boot with teen characters I didn't want to slap... but the new roster of villains was mostly underwhelming, which drags things down a bit. Return of the Joker really showed how lacking in substance the new villains really were.

8. (Bruce Timm's) Batman/Batman & Robin - Really well-made stuff, but a bit dull in places. Meant to be all-ages, but it was really for grown-ups. Commendable not just for the overall high quality in writing, but also for some of the most inspired, pure, and definitive versions of... pretty much the entire cast of characters. Kevin Conroy + Bruce Timm's style = the BEST Batman which has ever been made. By anyone. Comics, live action, feh -- this is the stuff right here.

7. Tale Spin - This was such a bizarre reinvention of the Jungle Book characters, it 100% should not have worked... but it was weirdly perfect, at least insofar as the setting and characters. Half the plots were inane beyond words, but I adored the characters. It helped that I love airplanes, and Baloo's in particular. I even built one out of plywood!

6. Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers - Gadget Hackwrench is unbearably hot, more so because she doesn't seem to notice or care. That's right: I'm not a furry, but I still wish I could bang the mouse, or this would be at 10 instead of 6. But I don't want to bang Scrooge McDuck.

5. Garfield & Friends/Garfield Holiday Specials - I am a Garfield fanatic, and I have been since... forever. Not only is the comic strip a towering achievement in longevity, character design, and consistent hilariousness, but I've also loved cats in general going as far back as my memory will take me, so loving Garfield was a natural extension of that. Jon Arbuckle was wonderfully hilarious in this (especially the episode when he becomes a soulless radio D.J. -- "And here's The Surgeons' new hit 'I Wanna Hold Your Pancreas'" -- ha!), and Lorenzo Music was PERFECTION. This would be one slo
t higher... but, you know. The & Friends mess jammed in the middle of each show. Sigh.

EDIT: I always forget what t-shirt I'm wearing -- turns out, as I was writing this post, it was my big fat orange Garfield tee!

4. Darkwing Duck - This was rarely close to as well-written as the excellent characters deserved... but they were SUCH EXCELLENT CHARACTERS, dammit. I made a Darkwing Duck costume for Halloween (1992?). I still have my beat-to-shit action figures. The father-daughter stuff with Drake and Gosalyn was extraordinarily moving at times.

3. Gargoyles - The gold standard of all-ages dramatic cartoons. Better-written and WAY more original than Bruce Timm's good-but-stodgy Batman et al. I've seen several of the "great" animes this was definitely ripping off in multiple ways... and it's better than all of them -- Cowboy Bebop, Lupin the III, Macross -- the whole lot. So fantastic and comic-booky and ridiculous, but with the best humanitarian heart in pulpy genre fiction TV since Star Trek. The shitty fanfic I wrote from watching the gem that was Gargoyles eventually morphed into the seeds of my comic, so you have this show to thank/hate for my comic's existence.

2. Futurama - This one has been wildly uneven, but when it's on, it's fucking ON.

1. The Simpsons - Arguably the best show in the history of television. All television. I've seen every episode of every season, including the latest which just aired on Sunday. It was fantastic, the best of the season -- and it's another fine season, dammit, just like all the others. I know it's cool to have dropped this show by season 12 at the latest, and to have stopped listening to U2 at Joshua Tree or whatever... but U2's still a fine, fine band, and The Simpsons remains the best show on television.

...there are, obviously, better animated shows than many of the ones I've listed. The Tick certainly deserves some love. Star Trek: The Animated Series was surprisingly good. And then there was that '90s cartoon about a war with, like, clones and exoskeletons? It was pretty good. And all the old Warner Bros. cartoons were certainly entertaining and formative. But I don't love them like I loved these. These were what I grew up with. These were what shaped my sense of fiction, of adventure, of imagination.

Proper Honorable Mention: (The Original) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I was obsessed with this show, way back in the day. I made my own turtles out of wood (with my dad's help on the jigsaw). I made my own Donatello costume to trick-or-treat in. A younger kid thought I was the real Donatello and told me I was his hero. Nostalgia aside, this was not a well-written show, and it was repetitive as hell. But April O'Neill was hot AF. She was why I started to try and draw hot girls. In a way, the road to my comic and my art career started with her. And this dumb show.
Two weeks ago, 4:08 AM #7
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
Xailenrath:Huge props for adding A:EMH!
I feel that it didn't get enough love or a real chance to shine.
Mind you, I grew to love Avengers Assemble, but, it took a WHILE!
I'm an old school comics nerd, and when they subbed out EMH for AA, just so it could be more in line with the MCU, I was LIVID-ANGRY!
The funny thing is, now that I've gotten used to all that, they switched up AGAIN!
The art style is now in line with their new Spider-Man toon, and the whole season focuses solely on Black Panther.

I still haven't come to love and accept the new Spider-Man. I had JUST gotten to like and accept Ultimate Spider-Man after Disney did the exact thing to Spectacular Spider-Man that they did to A:EMH!! Now, they've changed up AGAIN, and they KEEP trying to make the cartoons into one big Marvel Cinematic (Animated) Universe!
(WHYYYY?!!)

Also, I feel that Black Panther can carry his own cartoon (hell, he's DOING IT NOW, and pretty admirably, at that!), so it was unnecessary to call the show Avengers (when the rest of the Avengers are barely even IN it - Hulk and Falcon haven't shown up AT ALL!) just to 'sell' it to the audience!
The few things that I've read online regarding the changes all fall back on the old excuse that they don't want to 'confuse' the audience, but, the abrupt change in art style and throwing what little 'continuity' they had out the window does just that!

-sorry for that rant. my Nerd Rage gets the best of me, sometimes.
I dig your other cartoon choices, as well, particularly Wolverine and the X-Men, which, I had to cut from my list after agonizing debate.
Honestly, if I could, I would just pick (almost) every superhero cartoon.
(I will not be ranting about them, I promise.)
:D

Honestly, I’ve stopped following the animated MCU after Assemble and S.M.A.S.H. and all that. I did enjoy SOME ultimate spidey...

I may check out the new spider-man, it looks more emotional than Ultimate, a bit more like Spectacular hopefully. Much like you, I just found that once they started remaking their cartoons to match the movies..they lost their originality in the storytelling and beautiful style. They almost looked cheap to me.

No worries, I love going on nerd rants XD
Two weeks ago, 5:15 AM #8
bmac85

Registration date: 19th Nov 2017
I like these threads.

In no particular order ...

Ren & Stimpy: John K, the creator, is kind of an awful human being, but I can't deny my love for this insane show. And as Billy West and Bob Camp will remind you, it wasn't all just John; they were a big part of it, too.

Home Movies: I interviewed Brendon Small once for a Dethklok show in Albany, NY. He sounds exactly like Brendon on this show. I mean, of course he does, but it was amazing.

King of the Hill: I started writing all this stuff about each entry and I feel obligated to keep doing it but I have nothing to say about this show other than it's great.

Gargoyles: If you didn't have cable on Okinawa, there was one English-language channel: the Armed Forces Network. Fortunately it played this show when I came home from school. I need to re-watch this one.

The Tick: Spoooooooon!

Batman the Animated Series: Great stuff that went over my head as a kid a lot of times. My love for this show grew over the years.

Beavis and Butt-Head: Much smarter than it got pegged as.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Pretty much all versions, though I haven't seen the latest version that just came out. The 80s/90s show will always be my favorite even though it's objectively terrible, but I also like the 2003 show and love the 2012 show.

Futurama: This show and Simpsons make me cry on multiple occasions. I wrote a song about it once, for real.

The Simpsons: My favoritist show ever. I can put on any episode from seasons 2 to like, 9-ish and laugh every time. There's moments of greatness in the recent years too, such as "Barthood."
Two weeks ago, 5:45 AM #9
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Pink Panther (both the cartoon series and the animated segments before the live action Peter Sellers films)
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Ren & Stimpy
Courage
The Beetlejuice cartoon
(this was always really surreal to me? Because the area I live in is really close to Canada [as in, hop into a boat and paddle to Victoria close], so we'd sometimes get French-Canadian channels and I remember seeing French Cartoon Network bumpers announcing that Beetlejuice was up next and it was always just "BJHFVHBFDHGFEBHUVFHHYUHVGGF [FRENCH GIBBERISH THAT I CAN'T REMEMBER] BEETLEJUICE" and then the actual cartoon would be an English dub but the rest of the channel was French. The cartoon wasn't really that good, but it was very memorable to me and arguably significant.)
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
The Brothers Grunt (absolutely horrible and I FUCKING LOVE IT)
Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat

I murdered my Twisted Tales of Felix VHS as a kid. There's an episode where a guy falls into a meat grinder and comes out of it as a living sausage.

Pom Poko- one of the most overlooked Ghibli films but my absolute favorite animated feature film. I wouldn't recommend showing this to children or watching it without knowing about tanuki lore, otherwise you're going to be shocked when the tanuki start fighting with Japanese SWAT by beating them to death with their testicles.

And, of course, the number 1 important anime of every Japanese child's childhood, if your parent(s) were in the same generation as my dad's:
GeGeGe No Kitaro
Two weeks ago, 5:50 AM #10
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
The lack of 'Gravity Falls' is depressing.
Two weeks ago, 6:27 AM #11
brilight
both a bug and a feature
Registration date: 6th Oct 2017
Some of my favorites in no particular order.

- Doraemon
- Ninja Senshi Tobikage (Ninja Robots)
- GeGeGe no Kitaro (Spooky Kitaro)
- Cow and Chicken
- Tonde Burin
- Mojacko
- Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
- Samurai Pizza Cats
- Now and Then, Here and There
- Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Two weeks ago, 7:24 AM #12
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
Like others, no order.

1. Gargoyles
2. The Maxx
3. Futurama
4. Batman: TAS
5. The Real Ghostbusters
6. Batman Beyond
7. Metalocalypse
8. Thundercats (1985)
9. Ergo Proxy
10. One Punch Man

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
13 days ago, 6:26 PM #13
Alicia

Registration date: 4th Aug 2009
Oooh yay! I love reading through threads like this one! At first when I was making my list I was only gonna try for American cartoons and not put in that anime, but I saw other people doing it soooo... >_>

Anyway, in no particular order:

Gargoyles

Samurai Jack

King of the Hill

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (reboot)

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (reboot)

Black Jack 21

Full Metal Panic!

The Vision of Escaflowne

Castlevania
13 days ago, 8:16 PM #14
mr.Trouble
started a new life without the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
Uhh geez now I have to remember stuff

- Sushi Pack
- uhhhh that youtube series i think it was called bravoman
- Nyan neko sugar girls
- monster musume
- The Beatles Cartoon

Thats it I cant think of more
13 days ago, 9:17 PM #15
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I'm going to personally take cartoons to mean western animation because factoring anime into this will make it too complicated for me to decide on lol

(No particular order excepting AtLA as #1)

No contest the best cartoon ever made, I've seen it like twelve times. A beautiful, emotionally complex, once in a lifetime kind of quality somehow came out of Nickelodeon and I'm so happy it did. If only Nick would look at what made Avatar so good and stop throwing all their shows under the bus the minute they aren't Spongebob-popular we'd really get somewhere.

-Scooby Doo
My favorite series is the 1969 original but as a whole Scooby Doo is a cultural icon on almost equal footing with Spongebob. (Also What's New Scooby Doo is honestly great, and imo the best movie is Zombie Island)

-Spongebob Squarepants
The good episodes are so good and the bad ones we pretend don't exist. Spongebob is iconic and symbolic, a massive influence on our culture. RIP Steven Hillenburg

-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
OOF the aesthetic in there.. Really great art direction and a fun concept, what else can I say?

-Adventure Time
A world that started out weird and light and became something very unique through exploring its darker side. (But without losing sight of its original feel)

-Gravity Falls
It was all I drew in 2012, seriously. I love supernatural mysteries and it was just so well put together.

-Bob's Burgers
An adult cartoon comedy that isn't disgusting for no reason or constantly overtly sexual???? It's possible, and it's Bob's Burgers. I love that the Belchers actually care about each other unlike families in so many other adult cartoons.

-Phineas and Ferb
A formulaic show that was still creative and funny in almost every episode. Not the prettiest thing out there but the animation was consistent.

-Ben 10 Alien Force (seasons 1 and 2)
The original series is good too don't worry, but Alien Force was SO good and I can say this without nostalgia because I only watched Ben 10 two and a half years ago. Season three was.. not great.

-Jimmy Neutron
This is entirely up to personal preference (as if most of the list isn't lmao) but god I really love it.
13 days ago, 10:25 PM #16
Timelapse11
goes fast
Registration date: 14th May 2017
1) Gravity Falls, I love that show, I've stated that multiple times
2) The Simpsons, I've seen every episode so many times, I can tell which episode it is usually within the first five minutes.
3) Futurama, Another show I've watched a lot of and love, although not as much as the simpsons
4) Steven Universe, I'm running out of things to say that isn't 'I like this show'
5) LoveLive! School Idol Project
6) Pokemon
7) Hilda, I've been watching it for a while, it's pretty good
8) My Little Pony, yea, I like that show, it's fun,
9) Durarara!!
10) The Land Before Time
13 days ago, 11:07 PM #17
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Well I'll limit it to non Anime cartoons because it's not fair to anything when you compare it to Neon Genesis evangelion....especially the new Neon Genesis evangelion.

I've also not included movies because that's not what I think of as cartoons and the list would just be DC animated films and then Mulan, Beauty and the beast.

10.) Pirates of dark water (sorry samurai Jack, you didn't make the list.)
9.) Futurama
8.) X men
7.) X men evolution
6.) Spiderman
5.) Batman the animated series
4.) The Transformers
3.) Batman Beyond
2.) Avatar
1.) Teen Titans

I mean...I'm old so I could put stuff from my real childhood on there but cartoons really did get better into the 90's except for a few.
13 days ago, 11:48 PM #18
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
Hmmm, this was a tough one. Here are the ones that roll off the top of my head the easiest, so here they are in no particular order:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
One of the best modern superhero cartoons. It was the beginning of an amazing animated universe, but because the execs who didn't give a damn about telling a story wanted a roster that more closely resembled the movies, they rebooted the show and gave us the more lighthearted (and shitty), Avengers Assemble. A damn shame, but at least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

Young Justice / Justice League / Unlimited / Batman Beyond
Cheating a bit here, but these are quality shows. I'm glad Young Justice is back and look forward to seeing the new episodes tomorrow, and the other 3 were an amazing shared universe. To this day, still one of the best animated universes around.

Archer
The comedic timing in this show is gold. Also Archer is a lesson in how to write a douchey character properly.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Hype as fuck, to this day it's the only Gundam series I actually like.

Mike Tyson Mysteries
Picture Scooby-Doo except with Mike Tyson and self-aware. Actually voiced by Mike Tyson as well. Show is ridiculous, but in the good way. Ex:

As Told by Ginger
This was my guilty watch in high school. I couldn't even tell you why I liked this show so much, I just did. Ginger seemed so organic and I loved seeing her fumble through life.

Spectacular Spider-Man
The best Spider-Man show of all time, and one of the best superhero ones as well. Had some god-tier action scenes, amazing storylines, and like Earth's Mightiest Heroes, was a victory to execs who didn't care about telling a story. Was rebooted for the way shittier, Ultimate Spider-Man, and left some pretty unsatisfying plot threads left dangling..

Venture Bros.
Starts off as a mean spirited Johnny Quest parody that eventually grows into its own.

Avatar the Last Airbender / Legend of Korra
Avatar is amazing and a great case study in world building done right. Had some weak episodes here and there, but was a worthwhile watch and had a satisfying conclusion. Korra on the other hand starts off strong, it seemed to hit all the right notes for a sequel series done right, but the writers need to give up writing romance, oh my god. It just drags the product down whenever it's brought up. Season 3 and 4 were the high notes and despite the flaws, I enjoyed it as a total package.

Mr. T
Mr. T was my childhood hero and I watched his show and took his lessons at the end of the show to heart. Picture Scooby-Doo except with Mr. T, except unlike Mike Tyson's show, it's played straight.

King of the Hill
Yup.

X-Men Evolution
I was always a sucker for these set in high school shows. I didn't have much freedom when I was in high school, so I was living vicariously through my characters in my comics, and characters in the high school shows I watched.
12 days ago, 1:12 AM #19
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Haha. Mr T's scooby doo rip off. I tried to wat h it a few times and only ever saw. "The case of the silver swan." I suppose I can't feel too cheated because he said it was his scariest mystery ever.
11 days ago, 2:52 PM #20
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
DuckTales
Adventures galore, with some of my all time favorite comic characters!

DuckTales
Adventures galore, with some of my all time favorite comic characters!

Talespin
Adventures galore, with... the cast of The Jungle Book...? Okay...
(In conclusion: Weird premise, awesome show!)

Futurama
Adventures galore! In space!

Rick & Morty
Adventures galore! In space! With... a traumatized kid and his... seriously f*cked up grandpa...

Marshal Bravestarr
A space western! He-Man is nice and all, but that's the Filmation work I like best!

Hercules
The spinoff TV series of the Disney movie. It's like the Greek mythology enthusiast version of when the MCU name-drops stuff as fan service for comic readers!

Defenders of the Earth
No idea why, but this one was always a must-watch for me as a kid. May have been the super-catchy theme song.

Archer
I guess here I like the juxtaposition of the sort-of realistic art style with the often outright silly behavior of the characters.

Dino-Riders
Though I was actually more into the toys than the cartoon itself.