Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Star Trek vs. Star Wars: Which is Better?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Star Trek vs. Star Wars: Which is Better?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Star Trek vs. Star Wars: Which is Better?", 10 days ago, 4:20 AM #1
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Star Trek mixes fierce intelligence brain and brain what is brain and a lofty vision of humanity's future, with enough flashy pulp nonsense thrown in to be fun as hell for all most ages. Star Wars is an intermittently inspired but often shitty Buck Rogers ripoff and Muppet show with pretty consistently dumb writing, and is mostly just suitable for children. So which is better?

It doesn't matter, because STAR WARS IS NOT SET IN A SCI-FI UNIVERSE!!! It is set in a FANTASY universe borrowing sci-fi trappings! The comparison is moot AF. AF!!!

...correction, it turns out that even though they should never be compared for any logical reason at any time ever that Star Trek is infinitely better* anyway.

(*Not Discovery. Never Discovery.)
10 days ago, 4:27 AM #2
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Throwing a dart and landing on either a star wars or star trek story it'd be a gamble for me xD. Love both but not a gigantic fan of either of their most recent big outings to be honest but overall i'd give it to Star Trek. Especially the shows. They both get pretty silly, even with Treks relatively more sci-fi foundation, but Star Wars gets straight redonk-ulous at times haha. Love em both though, the imperfect beasts.
10 days ago, 4:32 AM #3
shastab24

Registration date: 15th Mar 2012
Yeah, it's apples and oranges. Both are fruit (or in the shows' cases, speculative fiction), but that's kind of where the similarities end. I like both franchises, but I think I prefer Trek. The cerebral approach is better for my tastes, and there's just so much more canon content (yes, Wars has that huge extended universe that likely outstrips Trek for all I know, but EUs are not really canon unless mentioned explicitly in the text).

I haven't seen Discovery, but I have seen Enterprise, so I know Trek has some stinkers (not to mention I don't like the reboot movies--they need to stop working the Wrath of Kahn formula and go with something fresh, gosh darn it!), but Wars has the prequels (and some people say the Last Jedi--I say it was just a nothing-happens second-of-a-trilogy type movie instead of something that works by itself, ranks just below Revenge of the Sith, but above the first two prequels; haven't seen Solo, so no opinions on that), which is such a larger percentage of its content being bad.
10 days ago, 5:35 AM #4
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
Star Trek, although there hasn't been a truly solid one in my opinion since DS9. I enjoyed the intellectualism, philosophical discussions, and empathy messages the series often had, alongside some often well written character nuance. With that in mind, I don't acknowledge the new universe movies, Discovery, Archer, or Janeway. They seem to be compelled to keep reinventing the series, without understanding what made it fundamentally good in the first place.

Star Wars lost me with the prequels. I just don't feel like getting back into it anymore, but I'll admit a rabid fan base will do that for me.

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
10 days ago, 5:40 AM #5
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Same as above. Except Voyager is the best.
I didn't see the third of the new movies. Apparently it was good but after the first one I learnt not to put my hand on the stove.
10 days ago, 6:10 AM #6
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Why do we need this thread when we literally have one comparing apples and oranges?
10 days ago, 8:36 AM #7
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
Star Wars (the original trilogy) is a pretty textbook "Hero's Journey".
Star Trek, at its best, explores the human condition.
Yeah. I'm a trekkie.
10 days ago, 9:13 AM #8
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
The 5th Element > Both

Used to enjoy Star Wars in the past, but nowadays all this unhealthy public fascination, hype, and the amount of movies just discourage me. With Star Trek, I'm indifferent, never did see any of the movies.
10 days ago, 9:24 AM #9
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
Objectively, I would say Star Trek; but subjectively I would say Star Wars.
10 days ago, 9:49 AM #10
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
STAR TREK!!!!!!!!!! The best si-fi ever!
I love design of aliens!

10 days ago, 10:01 AM #11
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Whenever I've had a tough decision to make, I've stopped and asked myself, "What would Captain Kirk do?" This has safely navigated me through life to where I am today. It's a freakin' miracle I'm still alive, but still.

I've never once asked myself, "What would Luke Skywalker do?" or "What would Han Solo do?" because these guys are flakes and nutjobs.

And there you have it.
10 days ago, 11:38 AM #12
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Kirk always seemed like a drunken frat boy.

If the question is "what would Kirk do?" The answer is usually "bang" or "sandpit fist fight"
10 days ago, 2:12 PM #13
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
My fan interest is definitely tending more to Star Trek than to Star Wars.

However: Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

I am therefore of the opinion that "Trek vs. Wars" is a false dichotomy!
10 days ago, 2:32 PM #14
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
Doctor Who. Fite me.
10 days ago, 7:45 PM #15
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
shastab24:Yeah, it's apples and oranges. Both are fruit (or in the shows' cases, speculative fiction), but that's kind of where the similarities end. I like both franchises, but I think I prefer Trek. The cerebral approach is better for my tastes, and there's just so much more canon content (yes, Wars has that huge extended universe that likely outstrips Trek for all I know, but EUs are not really canon unless mentioned explicitly in the text).

There are a LOT of great Trek novels. They're not canon... but some of them kinda more or less are. The Imzadi stuff. Peter David is a genius.

I haven't seen Discovery,

It is a very badly-conceived and badly-written show. It's an utter mess. The cast is pretty good, Doug Jones especially. I ended up hate-watching the first season, which isn't something I really want to do with my time. I probably won't watch season 2.

but I have seen Enterprise, so I know Trek has some stinkers

Enterprise actually has some really good stuff. The Xindi season was awesome. The pilot was painfully bad, even worse than Voyager's bizarre pilot.

(not to mention I don't like the reboot movies--they need to stop working the Wrath of Kahn formula and go with something fresh, gosh darn it!), but Wars has the prequels (and some people say the Last Jedi--I say it was just a nothing-happens second-of-a-trilogy type movie instead of something that works by itself, ranks just below Revenge of the Sith, but above the first two prequels; haven't seen Solo, so no opinions on that), which is such a larger percentage of its content being bad.

I liked the first and third reboot movies. They're in the bottom third of all Trek movies, but they're not literally the worst ones. Sadly, Into Darkness might be. I've come around on the near-universally-loathed (including, at one time, by me) Nemesis. It kinda falls apart in the third act when Riker and Worf have, effectively, nothing at all interesting to do... but a lot of it works.
10 days ago, 7:49 PM #16
Jay042
Keeps with the times
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
Military success in Star Trek was never dependent on teddy bears with pointy sticks.
10 days ago, 7:50 PM #17
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Jean_Q_Citizen:Doctor Who. Fite me.

Doctor Who is such an odd beast: extolling the humanitarian ideals of Trek with, commendably, an even stronger vein of pacifism... while chewing up innocent bystanders and companions like disposable victims in your average horror movie. It's oxymoronic, and off-putting. Which is a shame, because Matt Smith is the best Doctor ever and I wuv him so much and David Tennant is so fun and talented and Peter Capaldi is a delightful curmudgeon so I def TOTES want to love the show much more than I do... but it's really hard to at times.

...does the Whittaker season ever get better? The premiere/new pilot was so thoroughly dull and awful and insipid and unengaging that I've not bothered to check in since.
10 days ago, 8:02 PM #18
Jay042
Keeps with the times
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
The biggest problem with Jodi Whittaker's turn as the Doctor is Chis Chibnall as showrunner. He's not that strong a writer for Doctor Who, and his writing of 70% of the season probably did not help.
10 days ago, 8:50 PM #19
DrewSpence

Registration date: 25th Apr 2017
I think they BOTH need to lose popularity until their chief purpose for existing stops being Fan Service.
At this point all we have are people who know WHAT HAPPENS (usually) in each franchise, but can't remember why.

The movies lack inspiration and spirit.
Right now, I'm just hanging on for cool scenes, but I don't feel like any of these movies are "Official".
They feel like most Hollywood sequels. Not really like the original, but close enough to invoke SOME of that early warm feeling.

Glad to see more content, but the whole thing is too self-aware.
We're all in on the big joke that this was only truly cool years ago and we're trying to keep it cool for another generation or two or three.
9 days ago, 2:23 AM #20
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
DrewSpence:I think they BOTH need to lose popularity until their chief purpose for existing stops being Fan Service.

Their chief purpose for existing is to make money for their parent corporations. The fact that these are billion-dollar properties has well and truly done both of them in. It's why the movies are all flash and no substance anymore, as well as the more recent TV shows for Star Trek.

I mean, I know Lucas and Roddenberry wanted to make money too, but back then it was only in the sense of making enough with this chapter that I can produce the next one. Now it is all, 'this property is worth billions so each installment has to make half a billion or more... so let's make a movie that earns that much.' When that is your goal, you make crap.

Doesn't help that both Star Trek AND Star Wars handed the reins over to J.J. Abrams, a man who is the very definition of flash over substance.

All that said, please, there is no contest between these two. Star Wars > Star Trek. Only one reason is needed: Lightsabers.