Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - ATTN: Tea drinkers of Comic Fury,

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > ATTN: Tea drinkers of Comic Fury,
Pages: [1] [2]

"ATTN: Tea drinkers of Comic Fury,", Two weeks ago, 9:13 AM #1
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I was informed sometime ago that Lipton tea is pretty bad, it's apparently like the McDonald's of tea? The thing is, I actually like Lipton and have no idea where to get, or even what is "real tea". I'd like to add a little more culture to my cabinets and tea is next on the list.

What I ask is:

- Why is Lipton bad and on a scale of 1-12, how bad is it?

- What is some good tea brands and/or flavors?

- What is good stuff to add to tea?

Thanks in advance guys.
Two weeks ago, 9:32 AM #2
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
Well, Lipton is common and it's certainly not fancy tea, but I rather like it. It's fairly smooth and has a nice enough taste. Then again, I'm not necessarily a gourmet. There's very few teas I dislike, frankly.

Since I don't think Lipton is that bad, no rating from me.

I don't care heavily about brands either, but I'll admit Bigelow is probably not one of the higher ones on my list. I would imagine the fresher teas sold openly by the pound are probably nicer than not, but they're far too pricey for me to be exclusive with them.

Teas I like: green, black, english breakast, oolong, cinnamon apple, chamomille, hibiscus, and anything with ginger. I don't really add anything to mine beyond a few ice cubes because I'm impatient. Honey and crystallized ginger are nice, as well as lemon juice, of course. If I'm feeling like a complete barbarian, I'll add a splash of diet cola- I think the two are oddly pleasant together. Otherwise, I don't bother with sugar of any sort. Some teas can become very sweet on their own if allowed to steep for an absurd period of time. Green, I'm looking at you.

Mm. Actually, there is one tea I've found to be godly, but I haven't the name to offer you. It's some kind of imported 'mountain flower tea' from Greece. It comes in a long bag filled with plant stalks. The stuff is insane.

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
Two weeks ago, 9:42 AM #3
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
Speaking of my own experience only, I find the quality of the water you use to be more important than the actual tea. For a long time, I couldn't understand why my tea was so bad tasting after moving here. Answer: Hard water is horrible. Now I use bottled water to make my tea, and I'll drink most anything.
Two weeks ago, 9:59 AM #4
ratt
and who could forget dear ratboy
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
Chernobog:I'll add a splash of diet cola-

wot

Chernobog:It's some kind of imported 'mountain flower tea' from Greece. It comes in a long bag filled with plant stalks.

ironwort/sideritis?
Two weeks ago, 10:14 AM #5
Bobblit
I DON'T REGRET IT THOUGH
Registration date: 5th Apr 2016
... "The McDonald's of tea" xD

Errr, to be honest I'm no tea gourmet either and all I've tried from Lipton are the tea-based sugary drinks, which I sometimes like but don't really think of as tea. So I can't rate that.

As for tea sorts, I pretty much drink Earl Grey as a default. I also like pu-erh. I'm not a big fan of fruit teas, though, especially orange or sea buckthorn tea or god forbid orange AND sea buckthorn tea. I'm also meh about putting milk in it, but I like it with a bit of sugar.

SarahSophia:Speaking of my own experience only, I find the quality of the water you use to be more important than the actual tea. For a long time, I couldn't understand why my tea was so bad tasting after moving here. Answer: Hard water is horrible. Now I use bottled water to make my tea, and I'll drink most anything.

Yes. Also this.
Two weeks ago, 10:15 AM #6
Shekets
๐Ÿ•Ž Light it up ๐Ÿ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
I only drink matcha and peach tea personally. I prefer it straight and only drink Japanese brands if I can help it, mostly because I can't really stand most of the teas here in America because they taste like dirt to me or because there's way, way too much sugar corn syrup or sweetener in them.

Otherwise I'll drink black tea if it's in an Arnold Palmer or another mixed drink with fruit juice (black tea with pomegranate juice and pomegranate seeds, for example).

I got this really nice lemon and lavender sugar that was delicious in an Arnold Palmer. I just wish I had real lemonade instead of the powdered shit because it would be BANGIN'.
My friends got some rose sugar from me for Christmas, I've heard that's been good so far. I haven't tried that myself, but I might.
Two weeks ago, 10:23 AM #7
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
ratt:ironwort/sideritis?

Ironwort! Yes, that's the one.

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
Two weeks ago, 10:30 AM #8
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
I think what they might be getting at is that most bagged teas use the scrap ends of tea leaves, the horrible crumby bits left after taking the good full leaves away. The authentic experience of black tea would be brewed with a couple full leaves sitting in a tea pot that you would pour into a mug as you require.
But I've never met anybody so snobby as to only drink their tea that way, they're happy to just use bags.
Two weeks ago, 10:40 AM #9
ratt
i'm confused to if you wanna be drinking iced tea now or actual tea

i like those lipton premixed iced teas but im confident that they are 80% sugar so that's not surprising

for regular tea my go to poverty beverage of choice is tetly, extra strong or all rounders and twinings extra strong or Madura Premium (might only be local) if there's a little bit of money in the bank

if you like lipton doesn't really matter what people think right?

Now as to which tea giants are committing human rights violations that's something I think about sometimes
Two weeks ago, 10:58 AM #10
xianyu118
triple PhD
Registration date: 6th Aug 2012
Lipton isn't that bad, let's just say a six or seven.

I might be biased because I would drink an entire barrel of the local version of ice lemon tea which is 1) made from local limes 2) will give me diabetes one day 3) is made from Lipton more often than not; and there's the fact that it has plantations up in the highlands here.

Personally love a Twining's Earl Grey, but I really like TWG and Itoen. They do good teas, those last two.

I generally drink my tea black/unadulterated with stuff, but when it comes to lemongrass I add sugar sometimes. Or just drink the entire thing hot because when it cools down it somehow tastes really disappointing.
Two weeks ago, 10:58 AM #11
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
I drink Yorkshire Tea mostly, just starting to try Ringtons and Twinings Breakfast for a bit of a shake up. My life's so exciting.
Two weeks ago, 10:58 AM #12
Timelapse11
goes fast
Registration date: 14th May 2017
I've never tried Lipton, my family will not drink anything but PG Tips, so that's the only tea that I drink, I have had a few cups of Yorkshire tea and Tetley Tea and both of those brands are horrid, PG Tips is still my favourite.

Although TeaPigs make great fruit and herbal tea, I love their Lemongrass tea
Two weeks ago, 11:23 AM #13
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
This far into the thread and no one has mentioned Barry's Tea yet. What a fucking disgrace.
Two weeks ago, 11:31 AM #14
Leafa
noticed ๐Ÿˆ
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
I've got really into these really pretentious herbal hipster teas in very pretty boxes by a company called pukka.

They come in unusual flavours like "peppermint and licorice" and "chamomile, vanilla and manuka honey" and absolutely baffling flavours like 'feel new' 'womankind' and 'clarity'

I kind of hate how much I like them. They feel very off-brand for me.
Two weeks ago, 11:49 AM #15
Bobblit
I DON'T REGRET IT THOUGH
I second the motion of just drinking whatever you like and not worrying about whether it's "cultured" or not. Although I don't think you were worrying about that.

Also, I have no idea if this is a thing to do in the US, but here in Europe I'd recommend going to a teahouse with some friends and just trying all sorts of different stuff there. Those long, long tea lists with weird ingredients and pompous names are a lot of fun!

Leafa:'womankind'

Now I'm very curious about what this tastes like.
Two weeks ago, 12:10 PM #16
Leafa
noticed ๐Ÿˆ
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
I haven't had that one, but here's it's flower-in-more-ways-than-one description on the website:

[quote] "Womankind tea was created by master herbsmith Sebastian Pole to help women balance and bloom.

The flowers in you are ready to blossom, a loving cup of nourishment is all it takes to stir them to life: delicious ruby-red cranberry with the tender press of rose, the softness of shatavari and dappled with vanillaโ€™s sweetness. " [/quote]
Two weeks ago, 12:29 PM #17
Bobblit
I DON'T REGRET IT THOUGH
Oh dear xD

They forgot to add "and that subtle reek of marketing strategy."
Two weeks ago, 1:12 PM #18
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
Not a huge tea drinker here and I'm not a fan of Lipton. I prefer Nestea myself if any, which is probably worse, lol.
Two weeks ago, 1:41 PM #19
ratt
oh! Leafa you reminded me of the "celestial seasonings" teas of which "sleepytime + vanilla" and "tension tamer" are stand outs.
Also when it comes to marketing strategies i feel like who ever is in change of their packaging really knows me personally
(some big pictures soz)
Two weeks ago, 2:34 PM #20
Damatris
the only thing I'll hit is the books
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
Lipton tastes like dish water. Sorry. But it's the truth, I've been unfortunate to have tasted both. :')

I like every variety of tea (as in black, green, white, etc) but there are some I'm not very fond of inside the broad category. Black teas especially have to be high quality to taste good. I'm also fond of herbal blends and rooibos even if they're not technically tea. And hลjicha is really great, it's Japanese roasted green tea. If you want some specific recommendations shoot away. It's be easier if you like mentioned some broad category since those include so many different flavors and blends. :D

For bagged tea I like brands like Clipper, English tea shop, Pukka and Yogi tea. They also get plus for being organic and fairtrade.
No idea if they're sold over there however. But loose leaf teas offer better taste in general since bags basically use tea dust that's left overs from full leave products. It also means they've lost a lot of the aroma and get bitter easily. Although, that's the reason why they're cheaper to buy.

For good tea you should check the water temperature for steeping. Different teas need different ones. It usually reads somewhere in the package or the tea bag. Like my jasmine tea should be steeped in 70 celcius while lots of black teas should use boiling water. Green teas especially can get bitter easily if steeped in too hot water or slightly too long. They're naturally pretty sweet but start loosing that easily too.

I don't usually add anything to my tea but when I do it's honey, milk or both. I use them only with black tea or some herbal blends. Chai I make with both. For some reason I find that honey gives a better flavor of sweetness than sugar. Oh, and I too recommend Bobblit's idea of going to a teahouse. Those are great way to taste something new and they also sell the blends available for drinking.

But, baseline, drink what you like! Even if it's lipton. Not everyone has to be a tea enthusiastic like me who owns like 20+ different blends. :D