Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - '80s Music vs. '90s Music - Which is Better?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > '80s Music vs. '90s Music - Which is Better?
Pages: [1] [2]

"'80s Music vs. '90s Music - Which is Better?", 12 days ago, 12:47 AM #1
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
On the one hand, the '80s was the glorious heyday of Michael Jackson, Prince, and Madonna. On the other hand, all of those acts suck horribly 97% of the time. Only Sting and U2 were worth listening to in the '80s there I said it, and they BOTH got even MOAR awesome in the '90s.

Then along comes Garth Brooks, the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, and Matchbox Twenty! WHAT. We are not worthy. The Wallflowers. Bob Dylan returns to form. FORM! REANN LIMES. BNL. DMB.

SUBLIME IS SO BAD I CAN'T EVEN

...but the '90s still win. Spice Girls>Duran Duran. CASE CLOSED.
12 days ago, 1:02 AM #2
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Burn this thread.
12 days ago, 1:03 AM #3
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Agreed with Cooke.
12 days ago, 1:09 AM #4
Lutztoons
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
Nuke it from orbit.
12 days ago, 2:14 AM #5
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Train also started in the '90s meet Virginia led to Jupiter dropping drops full of win yay better than Led Zeppelin some say
12 days ago, 2:18 AM #6
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
me right now
12 days ago, 2:31 AM #7
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
12 days ago, 2:35 AM #8
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
I did like Tori Amos' '80s album more than most people... including Tori Amos. So much so that I named Kathryn's first lover after its penultimate track, the Etienne Trilogy.

I thusly declare Y Kant Tori Read the best non-U2 and non-Sting album of the '80s!
12 days ago, 2:39 AM #9
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
12 days ago, 2:39 AM #10
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Tell Bono to get over here and pay his fucking taxes already. The dork.
12 days ago, 2:43 AM #11
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Cooke:Tell Bono to get over here and pay his fucking taxes already.

Hahaha, Bono isn't just a great singer and rock & roll poet -- he's also a tax-dodging hypocrite! :D

...I listen to a bootlegged U2 concert almost every time I write. One of my favorites is their '89 Dublin show, in which he gives a little rant about how much he hates what the politicians and "backhandin' builders" are doing to Dublin, and then says "Let them go to fuckin' America". That was some gloriously short-lived patriotic vitriol.
12 days ago, 2:56 AM #12
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
No. He's right there. Bastards never changed since 89. Same circus just a changing of the clowns.

I do like some of their stuff though. They're just not that big of a deal over here anymore. I mean for christs sake everyone nearly had a caliption fit a few years back when Garth Brooks cancelled his concert in Croke Park!

GARTH BROOKS HAS MORE JUICE IN IRELAND THAN U2!

Think about that now. What the fuck happened?

I do like that Captain Jack song.

How about the "how bizarre" song. Was that from the 90's? Either way I listened to it recently and forgot just how slow the tempo actually is. Always seems faster in my head.

Cranberries 90's. Now that's fucking rockin it.
12 days ago, 3:10 AM #13
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Cooke:GARTH BROOKS HAS MORE JUICE IN IRELAND THAN U2!

Think about that now. What the fuck happened?

Oh snap.

I just remembered that Garth Brooks' first album came out in '89, so SORRY TORI, but it's the greatest non-U2 non-Sting album of the '80s now.

How about the "how bizarre" song. Was that from the 90's? Either way I listened to it recently and forgot just how slow the tempo actually is. Always seems faster in my head.

Cranberries 90's. Now that's fucking rockin it.

"How Bizarre" is slow, weird, and seems like something I should hate... yet, I listened to it every time it came on the radio in the '90s. I recently heard it in the background at a restaurant... and I still didn't hate it.

The Cranberries had a great sound. The lead singer's voice blended with the music in a way which felt... kinda magical.
12 days ago, 3:20 AM #14
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Dolores was such a down to earth person. My brother even did her hair a couple of times.

Ok. So I just listened to that How Bizzare song and it's still slower in tempo than I remember. I think OMC is changing it every year without us knowing. Just tweaking it down ever so slightly to fuck with us all. His master plan for a one hit wonder.

Another 90's one I remember. Moloko - Sing it back to me.

Generic but catchy. There is however a 9 minute video floating out on YouTube of them performing it live and it rocks.

Merged Doublepost:

Yeah sorry for making this thread about the How Bizzare song. I'm going to double down on that now and proclaim this thread as the official "OMC appreciation thread of their song How Bizzare" because let's face it. Is there any better song to represent the 90's music scene? I think not. Case closed. I'm siding with Tibbittz.

12 days ago, 4:17 AM #15
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Ha, and I was just about to irrationally do a heel turn against the premise of my own thread and defend the '80s with Michael Jackson's singular good song:

...and MAN are there a lot of cute chicks in that OMC video, I forgot about that. I tried to dance to it, but it's not a cha cha, nor a rumba. It's something Latin, dammit. The Penetrada, perhaps?
11 days ago, 6:51 PM #16
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
I have no strong opinions about which is better, but 80s music has this hard to describe distinguishing flavor that 90s music lacks...

80s music often screams "I am from the 80s!", while much of 90s music to my ears often sounds like it could have been released just yesterday, if it weren't for the fact that I have known this or that particular song since my school years...
11 days ago, 8:35 PM #17
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
[url=www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZO9VoQjf0]Husker Du - Games[/url]

This sounds pretty 90s in my opinion, and was released in 1985 (they formed in 1979 though initially as a hardcore punk band before verging into alternative/indie territory from about 1984). I agree that 95% of mainstream stuff from the 80s sounds very 80s, but look beyond it and there's plenty of stuff from the 80s that's aged pretty well. Husker Du were also a major influence on Dave Grohl, so to me it's almost like asking whether you prefer the later Husker Du or the earlier Foo Fighters.

From a songwriting perspective (chord progression, lyrics, tempo) the 80s and 90s were pretty similar - the bigger difference would be production. Heavy snare, fretless bass guitar and synthesizers sum up a typical 80s sound (I like to call it "big production" due to its atmospheric nature) while sampling and loops were prominent in a lot of 90s pop. In addition, the majority of music recorded in the 1980s, except for a few major artists in the latter half of the decade, was recorded/mixed on analog equipment whereas most (but not all) music recorded in the 1990s was digitally recorded, so there would have been more restraints as to exactly what artists could achieve in the 80s.

It's funny another user mentions Y Kan't Tori Read - my dad has a bootleg Pacific Records copy that he bought in the 90s from an American CD store that sold "rarities" and imports. According to what he told me when I asked him about whether he owned any bootleg albums he said that this album was officially out of print and difficult to come by. I've had a listen to it (this bootleg copy) and it sounds exactly like how I'd imagine the legit CD sounds, with the bonus tracks sounding like a mixture of demos and decent quality live bootlegs. Overall it's a high quality bootleg, especially for 1994. The thing I find most amusing is how it says "Made in Nepal" on the artwork, "Made in Australia" on the disc and mentions federal law in the copyright disclaimer (on the back cover), refering to the USA which was likely where this bootleg was manufactured in the first place.

Caley Tibbittz Collopy, if you have/had a copy of Y Kan't Tori Read, was yours the original or a bootleg version?

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
11 days ago, 9:19 PM #18
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013

11 days ago, 9:23 PM #19
keltyzoid!
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
50's music is superior to both, suck my dick Mr. Tibbittz
11 days ago, 9:42 PM #20
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Music plays on my phone all night long. Whenever I'm awake I put in an ear bud and listen to whatever's playing -- and the decade I listen to almost exclusively is the '80s. Sure, sometimes I shift to the '90s or the '70s or Classic Rock just for a change of style, but I come back to the '80.

So without actually answering the "Which is better?" question, that is my answer.