Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - At the end of my rope...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > At the end of my rope...
Pages: [1] [2]

"At the end of my rope...", 9 days ago, 3:04 AM #1
ChristianRepass
voted to be eaten first
Registration date: 6th Apr 2017
Hi, it's me.

It turns out a month went by and I've missed two student loan payments. I haven't had paying work since December, and I'm extremely worried that I won't be able to find work anytime soon. And if I let the problem fester, then Navient can go out of their way to ruin my life by garnishing my paychecks and even suing me! Today, I just applied for a deferment, but I'm not sure if they'll accept it at this point.

I'm even desperate enough to join the military (even though I REALLY don't want to) and I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing it (both physically and mentally). I would also like to go back to college because an associate degree doesn't do jack-shit in terms of work, and even though I found a good college, my dad planted the seed of doubt by questioning my ability to find work and to pay back my loans, even though I'd have a better degree.

The people I've hooked up with have done all they can in terms of helping me get paid internships, and now they're helping me find work. However, I'm STILL getting rejected constantly.

I have little to no options left, and I am not optimistic about any of this. I have no idea what to do.
9 days ago, 3:07 AM #2
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
So in America you have to pay student loans even if you're not working? In Aus they garnish your pay when / if you get paid, but theoretically you could never pay them back if you just don't earn.

Are they actually going to come after you for money?
9 days ago, 3:10 AM #3
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
It took me a really long time to find work too. I was scared I wouldn’t find a job. But I did, even though it’s a challenging one.

Just because you keep getting rejected doesn’t mean you won’t find a job. Sometimes we gotta start at the bottom. My job is pretty lowly to many people i’m sure

[b]Merged Doublepost[/b]:

Please don’t join the military unless you’re sure about it. You could get scarred for life
9 days ago, 3:13 AM #4
ChristianRepass
voted to be eaten first
The Letter M:So in America you have to pay student loans even if you're not working? In Aus they garnish your pay when / if you get paid, but theoretically you could never pay them back if you just don't earn.

I think it's on a federal loan, so yes.
9 days ago, 3:14 AM #5
TheHiddenElephant
not a slice of pizza
Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
Well, my dad said that when he got out of college, he applied to a thousand jobs and only two called back. Of course, he was a computer guy when the employment for computer guys went through the floor, but still. Getting a starter job is about quantity, not quality. It's gonna be terrible, but we're not born with everything handed to us. Good news is that we can both take things one day at a time and plan for the future. Just make sure to keep on trying.
9 days ago, 3:34 AM #6
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Amazon always seems to be hiring... could you work at a warehouse temporarily? Or something in the gig economy, like DoorDash/UberEats/PostMates/etc.?
9 days ago, 3:45 AM #7
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Are you tailoring your CVs? Pain in the ass I know but it's an employers market out there at the moment. Even in the service sector there's a lot of competition.
9 days ago, 5:07 AM #8
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
ChristianRepass:Hi, it's me.

It turns out a month went by and I've missed two student loan payments. I haven't had paying work since December, and I'm extremely worried that I won't be able to find work anytime soon. And if I let the problem fester, then Navient can go out of their way to ruin my life by garnishing my paychecks and even suing me! Today, I just applied for a deferment, but I'm not sure if they'll accept it at this point.

I'm even desperate enough to join the military (even though I REALLY don't want to) and I'm not sure if I'm capable of doing it (both physically and mentally). I would also like to go back to college because an associate degree doesn't do jack-shit in terms of work, and even though I found a good college, my dad planted the seed of doubt by questioning my ability to find work and to pay back my loans, even though I'd have a better degree.

The people I've hooked up with have done all they can in terms of helping me get paid internships, and now they're helping me find work. However, I'm STILL getting rejected constantly.

I have little to no options left, and I am not optimistic about any of this. I have no idea what to do.

I joined the military in 2014, I thought it was fun and I plan to go back...

However I understand why some people simply dont want to join.

Just keep your head above the water man. Do not start veering into dangerous territory, you have your entire life to solve the problems your facing. Also, DO NOT go back to college unless you have a surefire plan on how to pay, I read once that entering the job market in debt is a HUUUUGE mistake and loans should only be an option as a last resort. Then again, if you are prepairing for a dream career, thats a hard call. On one hand, debt. On the other, surrendering a dream, which I consider faaaaaar worse than debt.

Just so you know, the military will help you pay back student loans. I get covered under the post 9/11 bill that not only pays all of your tuition and pays for your books, but also covers your rent *up to the rank of an E-5 with dependents, around 1500 a month for on campus and for online courses around 800 dollars a month*

If you have any questions about the military, Ill be happy to answer for you! Again, it isnt a life everyone will find appealing, but everyone can certinally do it. If you are willing to take the risk, and work hard it can be extremely rewarding.

Also, fun fact, its EXCELLENT FOR EXPERIENCE. I have been offered for 7 jobs since I left, though obviously I cant take all of them. ATM I work at Walmart, but as I said, I plan to go back. I also plan on starting school next year.

Merged Doublepost:

The Letter M:So in America you have to pay student loans even if you're not working? In Aus they garnish your pay when / if you get paid, but theoretically you could never pay them back if you just don't earn.

Its like that here too when you borrow on a federal level. I dont know how much of a bitch intrest would be though.
9 days ago, 5:24 AM #9
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
What is your skillset, what do you want to do if you know that answer, and what has been your method to shore up paying work as of the past 2 months, if any such methods exist? Hopefully we can help you identify where your methods could be improved.
9 days ago, 6:02 AM #10
ChristianRepass
voted to be eaten first
MissElaney:What is your skillset, what do you want to do if you know that answer, and what has been your method to shore up paying work as of the past 2 months, if any such methods exist? Hopefully we can help you identify where your methods could be improved.

I've completed a resume. Here's some skills mentioned: Experience with both Windows and Macs, Great with Microsoft Office & Adobe products, Good at communication, Ability to type 90 characters a minute, Experience with printing and laminating, and I can focus very well on work.

As for how I got work the past two months, this organization called Lifetime Assistance actually helped me. In fact, they had this thing where interns can work somewhere, and Lifetime Assitance covers the payment. However, I am out of internships with them, and they are currently helping me find work. I also try to find work on my own.

However, the reasons why I struggle to find work are because of not having the right qualifications, inaccessibility (I rely on public transport; I only have a learner's permit), them not being interested (after an application or interview), my struggles with body language during an interview, and my own anxiety.
9 days ago, 6:54 AM #11
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011

It's called "civilised society", M -lad. B-) When I was young, you didn't even need the loan. Pity everyone slowly followed the yanks on how to (mis)do everything. My wife took 20 years to pay off her 'HEX' debt, nice'n'easy .

The more the rich get to avoid paying tax,the more the rest of us have to makeup the difference, the short-fall .
9 days ago, 8:07 AM #12
Damatris
the only thing I'll hit is the books
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
ChristianRepass:inaccessibility (I rely on public transport; I only have a learner's permit.

If you can reach the work place with public transport, you can just say that "yes, I have reliable way to get to work". You don't have to start getting into the details of how. Although, if it's a job where you'd require a use of a car then it's off the table.

Have you simply listed your skills in work applications or have you presented them with concrete examples of how you've used them? CVs don't have much space for expanding what the skills bring to the table so application itself is the place to tell what you've actually done with your specialities.

Also try to figure out what sort of skills you have outside of your work experience. Since you make comics, it can mean you're good at long term planning and committing to see it also happen. Also creative problem solving. Stuff like that.
9 days ago, 10:17 AM #13
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Also don't forget the cover letter.
9 days ago, 10:33 AM #14
The Letter M
Cooke:Are you tailoring your CVs? Pain in the ass I know but it's an employers market out there at the moment. Even in the service sector there's a lot of competition.

I've never bothered to do this so my CV is a complete joke. It's got all my teaching experience, fire twirling/gymnastics/circus coaching and shows...then all the student jobs like coffee making skills, bar experience, available for night shifts, etc. It's a miracle I ever get called back, honestly. Maybe it's out of confusion and morbid curiosity.
9 days ago, 10:56 AM #15
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Must be something catching their eye for sure.

Think about it from the business' perspective. You're sitting down and having to go through a mountain of CVs. Something is going to have to catch their attention. Also I only found out about this last year. When sending online CVs to large companies, they get sifted by an ai which looks for keywords pertaining to the job. If your CV doesn't have them then it will never even see human eyes.

Welcome to the future. Actually I think CVs will be a thing of the past in a few years. It will all be application forms as the companies can tailor them to exactly how they want.
9 days ago, 11:07 AM #16
The Letter M
What a horrible thought. Then we'll have to fill out a million forms instead of just emailing out our resume to every place that looks good.

Of course I still print it and walk into the school. That's the only thing I can suggest to you Christian Repass. So many places where the OWNER or MANAGER are looking for somebody have a bureaucrat or front desk drone handling all those CVs who doesn't pass the message on. Going in and saying hi to somebody will get you so many opportunities that an emailed resume won't.
9 days ago, 11:15 AM #17
AK Illustrate
formerly AkiTa
Registration date: 30th Jun 2012
Oof... Sorry to hear it.

I'm in a similar situation right now where I really need to find a job by next month or I'm in some hot water. I'd recommend looking into Temp Agencies and applying to several if you can. Explain your situation to them and they can help find you a job.
9 days ago, 1:48 PM #18
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Have you tried applying for jobs that involve manual labour or are very common like waiter, a packer at a drug store or supermarket, cashier or even a janitor? It's not glamorous, but it will pay bills. Maybe even a barista at a coffee shop? It's what I am doing. Sometimes, you have to start from the bottom to get to the top? What have you got to lose, friend?

Good luck and hope this helps.

PS: Shame on your dad for saying that. Don't believe what he said. We're all capable of anything we put our minds to.
9 days ago, 2:14 PM #19
Kev

Registration date: 14th Oct 2015

I'm not able to post pictures at work, sorry, but I was trying to post a pic of a cat on a rope saying "hang in there" :)

But hang in there buddy! <3
9 days ago, 2:27 PM #20
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016

It depends on the loan. I had to get multiple loans for college and my federal one was a total bro. I told it I was unemployed and it was cool about it and didn't care. When I got a crappy job, it adjusted the rate and I paid it back in pennies. My private loan didn't care and I had to start paying back ASAP, regardless of whether I was unemployed or not. Navient is one of those loans. I didn't sign with them personally, but they bought my loan from the company that bought my loan from the first company.