Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Favorite type of protaganist?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Favorite type of protaganist?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Favorite type of protaganist?", 9 days ago, 2:33 AM #1
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
Just curious, what do you guys like seeing in a protaganist, I enjoy gullibility. I like characters that eaisily trust others, no matter if they seem malicious or not. I like strong characters the overcome any obsticale, and I like characters that are humble, yet fierce when it matters. I also love characters that fight to overcome thier weaknesses, and easily befriend others. I value the ability to turn an enemy into an ally, yet when the enemy is too powerful, I respect the decision to destroy the enemy, as long as the character shows it was not a preferable decision.

Ex include:

Goku
Mob
Joesph Joestar
Melinidas

They also inspired Tsokakas personality.

What do you guys treasure in a character?
9 days ago, 3:10 AM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I think my favourite kind of protagonist is one that is deep and relatable with problems and issues outside their "job" because it makes them more than just one dimensional. I am also into ones that are capable of making good or bad decisions yet are ultimately good people. With that said, I am really into protagonists like Ghostbusters, Superman, Batman, Spiderman and Carl Winslow from Family Matters. They are not perfect people, but they are good people who genuinely want to be good, but they are also interesting because they face struggles that we can relate to as well temptations.
9 days ago, 3:37 AM #3
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Smart, Clever, Resourceful, Problem-solver, Badass or Cool, has depth, Strong-willed, Mature, believable.

Batman, Shikamaru, Kurama uhh...Major Kusanagi too.
9 days ago, 3:51 AM #4
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Active as opposed to passive.
9 days ago, 3:51 AM #5
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I like to see something I haven't seen before, so it makes it hard to love a 'type', but I really prefer guile protagonists to brawn protagonists. Kid!Loki was the most interesting Loki I've seen in a long time because he was so much less powerful, so was forced to be clever instead.

But I also really love some sweet, dumb golden retriever protagonists. I just like anything that pushes away from Everyday Joe/Jane is thrown into destiny. I don't tend to relate At All to 'relatable' protags, and am much more likely to connect to a protagonist who's specific, even if it's different from me.

I guess the biggest thing is I want a protagonist who cares about something. What, I'm not picky. I don't even have to know/understand what they want, as long as they feel like they aren't waiting for the plot, they're charging into it.
9 days ago, 3:58 AM #6
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Ah I do like your description there as well as those characters, I'd add Luffy and Gon to that list too. Some of my favorites are laid back problem solvers, maybe even to a ridiculously illogically logical degree haha. Sherlock, Spock, Detective Conan, Batman, who are all really competent but still human with flaws. I also like Saitama cause just him as a concept is really interesting and existential, and bat$hit hilarious. I also love funny underdogs in general.
9 days ago, 4:19 AM #7
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
I suppose I have a soft spot for gruff/world weary types who rouse themselves to try, despite everything they've known, to make some kind of difference. I'm also partial to clever characters who can think on their feet. Annnd I'm very fond of anyone described as a beserker. With the first and last one, there's a running theme of one who fights against apparent futility with sheer force of will that I just love.

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
9 days ago, 4:33 AM #8
Shekets
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Sad man who beats everyone up.

That's it. I prefer villains.
9 days ago, 4:50 AM #9
Kelsey -Nutty- P.
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
Give me a soft person who sees the good in everyone and wants to do all they can to be helpful.

Give me the Softies, please, let them heal me.
9 days ago, 6:09 AM #10
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
Give me the fiercely optimistic underdogs who are kind and gentle under their tough exterior they’ve grown because of all the opposition. Oh yeah.

I also love the angsty young adult or teen who is tryna find thei place in the world. Gimme that attitude. Just so long as the character mostly grows out of it...

Other than that, I love the ones who are just plain sweethearts. Just oozing with empathy and kindness but needs to stop being too selfless so that they aren’t neglecting themselves.
9 days ago, 6:22 AM #11
DrFurball
real fur, but not a real doctor
Registration date: 16th Jan 2015
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
I love me some snarky protagonists. Something about being able to approach a serious or deadly situation with a cocky sense of humor is very endearing, especially if they're using it to mask how worried or scared they really are.
Obviously, Spider-Man (Peter Parker) is my favorite example of this, with his quips being a defense mechanism to deal with terror.
Mortal Kombat's Johnny Cage is great about this, too. His joking is very welcome due to the dark and sometimes melodramatic setting and story.

I'm also a sucker for heroes with iron wills and powerful determination. Ones that will get the shit beat out of them but keep going because they've got heart and drive. I love that. Spider-Man again is like that, as is the Thing of the Fantastic Four, or Little Mac from Nintendo's Punch-Out!! games.
It's a very inspiring thing.

I'm also fond of unambiguously nice protagonists. Decent, adventurous folk with good hearts and a joy for what they do. Lookin' at you, Mario.
9 days ago, 8:13 PM #12
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I like protagonists that are smart.

Not "protagonists who magically know whatever the plot demands they know", or "protagonists whose plans just magically all work out" (coughcoughlightyagamicough), but protagonists who make good decisions based on the information they have, and whose thought process is shown and makes sense. They don't always make the right decision, but their decision always seems right when they make it, or is wrong in a characteristic way that fits the character.

Being smart is a verb, not an adjective. Not literally, I know, but a smart character is more about thinking and acting in smart ways, than about just existing as a smart person who can do things because they're a smart person. You really can't show a smart character without showing their internal monologue - that's why Hermione Granger is just a well-informed character, not a smart one (she's a well-done example of the former, though - you always see her learning and studying).

I'm kind of drawing a blank on good examples. I think it's because most writers that are good at writing smart characters write all their characters as at least somewhat smart. Like, a lot of Discworld characters are smart, but none of them (in the books I've read) stand out from the rest as smarter.
9 days ago, 8:19 PM #13
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
Shepard from Mass Effect xD haha

9 days ago, 8:26 PM #14
Kourtney

Registration date: 27th Dec 2018
As long as the protagonist is flawed and isn't disgustingly perfect, I'm cool. Perfect protagonists irritate me to no end. It's why I hated the 2005 Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.
9 days ago, 8:38 PM #15
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Whatever Captain Malcolm Reynolds is.

Or whatever Captain Picard is.
9 days ago, 9:22 PM #16
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
ooh, I like many kinds of protagonists.

any combination of these is awesome, of course.
9 days ago, 9:48 PM #17
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Caley Tibbittz Collopy:Whatever Captain Malcolm Reynolds is.

Or whatever Captain Picard is.

Is it possible your favorite type of character is just "captains"?
9 days ago, 10:20 PM #18
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012

...SRSLY tho, there really is something interesting about the weight of command and responsibility. Holding so many lives in the hands of one's decisions. Deciding when to be civil and when to "aim to misbehave", to quote Mal and also describe the Picard who led the INSURRECTION against Admiral Old White Dude and the face-stretching aliens. Man, EFF Murray Abraham!*

(*That's my joke, and I love it like I love Star Trek: Insurrection -- a LOT.)
9 days ago, 10:28 PM #19
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I'm not really picky, but I don't usually like impulsive characters. I find them exhausting, even if I'm able to enjoy the series despite them. An example would be Akko from Little Witch Academia, whose problems are almost entirely self-inflicted and also negatively affect everyone else. I liked the show and thought it was really cute, but I couldn't get past thinking that her rival was always much more in the right even though we were supposed to root more for Akko.

An ideal protagonist for me would generally be someone more understated and thoughtful who is forced into the events of the story and not quite equipped to handle them without the presence of a complex supporting cast.
9 days ago, 10:49 PM #20
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
My favourites, and the ones I often tend to write are what I believe are known as 'sweet cinnamon rolls too too good for this world, too pure.' I mean, the dying is entirely optional, but I love to see genuinely good hearted characters form adorable friendships and have their stregnth and morals tested. Gimmie tragedy! But also the cute fluff.

I feel like I would like a whole lot of 'mature, edgy' works more if there were more genuinely good protagonists to balence out the dark. I mean, I do like dark stuff but if the nicest character in the thing is say, an unrepentant killer then I won't be as invested as I could be. But at the same time I usually ONLY like the sweet and nice main character types as much as I do when there's a lot of dark in the story to genuinely make that seem like something significant.

Twitter
Forum > General discussion > Favorite type of protaganist?
Pages: [1] [2]