Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - I wish I knew this sooner!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > I wish I knew this sooner!
Pages: [1]

"I wish I knew this sooner!", 9 days ago, 5:17 AM #1
kevintheradioguy

Registration date: 13 days ago
After you start a comic, and get more experience, there's always a time when you realize your life would have been much easier if you knew this or that about working with comics sooner. Be it some drawing tips, story, paneling techniques - anything!

So, how about we share things you discovered all too late, and hope they shall help fellow comic creators?
9 days ago, 5:32 AM #2
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
A two page a week schedule is annoyingly hard to keep up a buffer with.
9 days ago, 6:29 AM #3
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
On the flip side of this, the two page schedule is easier to manage when you split the phases of your comic each to its own day.
Sun - sketch
mon - line
tues - color and shade
wed - sketch
thurs - line
fri - color and shade
sat - chillin like a villain
9 days ago, 7:02 AM #4
Mild

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2016
Making pages in packs is faster and easier than making them one at a time.

Now my routine looks like this:
Sketch 3 pages - line 3 pages - color 3 pages - shade 3 pages - add bubbles and dialogue for 3 pages.

I went from 2 pages a week (sometimes less, with lots of stress and missed updates) to 3 pages a week + some time for extra art. My patrons are happy too because now they get to see three new pages per update instead of one.
9 days ago, 7:03 AM #5
Bandkanon

Registration date: 25th Feb 2011
thumbnails done in batches per chapter on a single large canvas are much easier to work with than individually.
9 days ago, 12:50 PM #6
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Previews will get you more visits than actual pages and to join listings and communities right away.
One week ago, 3:00 PM #7
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
1. If you work digitally, layers are your very best friend.

2. Keep lines and color on separate layers. Put the colors UNDER the lines not OVER them.

3. Fill bucket + expand = faster, nicer coloring
One week ago, 3:27 PM #8
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
kevintheradioguy:After you start a comic, and get more experience, there's always a time when you realize your life would have been much easier if you knew this or that about working with comics sooner. Be it some drawing tips, story, paneling techniques - anything!

So, how about we share things you discovered all too late, and hope they shall help fellow comic creators?

1. Do not be afraid to cut corners. Professionalism in most instances is a road block, not a solution.

2. Originality does not always attribute to success. People will favor ideas with borrowed assets as long as the execution agrees with them (Im looking at you Deadpool. Also, dont get too cozy DC, we know Prince Namor came before Aquaman)

3. Artwork does not always attribute to success. You do not need an art degree to make a webcomic to do a hobby you enjoy. People prioritize characters, clarity, and story when indulging in a comic piece.

4. Do not be afraid to accept critiques, yet be wary of your vision. Advice is a two way street and art as well as writing is always subjective. Become better, but not if it compromises your vision.

5. Dont be afraid to admit when you dont enjoy doing something. Many people like the idea of doing a comic, but hate having to execute those ideas which is why I recommend hiring artist to help you with your vision.

Ok so that last one isnt relatable to me, but I feel it is sound advice.

Merged Doublepost:

authorloremipsum:On the flip side of this, the two page schedule is easier to manage when you split the phases of your comic each to its own day.
Sun - sketch
mon - line
tues - color and shade
wed - sketch
thurs - line
fri - color and shade
sat - chillin like a villain

whoa, Im stealing your idea. I was here just working and randomly hoping I can upload as soon as possible. This is a good scheduale.
One week ago, 3:53 PM #9
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
Most everyone hates Comic Sans...

Yeah, wish I'd known that before 200 some odd pages. Meh, I'm fixing up the older pages anyway, and have switched to a font I created...so the problem will be amended throughout the whole eventually.

One week ago, 4:32 PM #10
joeyballast
let himself go
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
1. Concept is king. Pretty art can only carry you so far, but if your concept/writing and such is on point then the art can be secondary (or even non-existent)

2. Thumbnails. Goddamn thumbnails. If it looks good and reads the size of a postage stamp, it'll do the same once it's the size of a poster.

3. Value is key over everything else. If it reads in greyscale, it'll read once it's coloured.

4. Red's a 'look the fuck at me!' colour. Use it wisely.

So basically everything my high school art teacher tried to tell me which I ignored until recently :D

Merged Doublepost:

Ooh! Also silhouette. If can tell who the character is just from their silhouette then chances are it's a decent pose.
One week ago, 6:20 PM #11
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
BlueDragon:Most everyone hates Comic Sans...

Yeah, wish I'd known that before 200 some odd pages. Meh, I'm fixing up the older pages anyway, and have switched to a font I created...so the problem will be amended throughout the whole eventually.

Comic Sans does have a good purpose though! It's useful for specifically childish designs AND it's designed to be easily readable.

mightguy15:whoa, Im stealing your idea. I was here just working and randomly hoping I can upload as soon as possible. This is a good scheduale.

By all means go ahead XD
It makes it a lot easier, PLUS if you do more than one "phase" a day, you have more "resting" days too
It turns the comic drawing into routine, which in turn, makes it easier to keep up a posting schedule and/or a buffer.

and I remembered another thing I wish I'd known! People appreciate updates even if they're not comics, so saving doodles to post when you can't post a page is a way to keep your audience even if you have to skip a proper update!
One week ago, 8:14 PM #12
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
No matter how little homework you actually do in 12th grade, a one page per day update schedule is not going to work.
6 days ago, 2:01 AM #13
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
authorloremipsum:Comic Sans does have a good purpose though! It's useful for specifically childish designs AND it's designed to be easily readable.

I thought this was hilarious XD It did it's job (seriously, I've said it before, I have nothing against comic sans. I was just a noob and thought that's what you were supposed to use XD)

Something else I wish I'd known: which ink pen to use.

For years I used a pen that I was not talented enough to use and produces way too thick of lines for what I prefer. I was so pleased when my partner brought me an ink pen with nibs from Mitsuwa's, and the weight is perfect! (Another reason to fix up those old pages.) You live, you learn. You find amazing new things that make your work easier.

4 days ago, 4:17 PM #14
kevintheradioguy

Registration date: 13 days ago
Okay, I had hard time wording this, but I think I got this.

It actually comes from my main job in game development (more specifically, location design), but it fond its way into the comics as well, and that is: be lazy. Sounds not about right, eh? Truth is, embracing artistic laziness saves you a lot of work and effort, and frankly speaking - brain cells. Back when I started, I did everything unique and freshly from scratch. But reusing something is not as big of a crime as one might think. In a game no one notices that this pile of boulders is copied and pasted from the tutorial area; as well as in a comic no one notices that that background is from a hundred pages before; especially if you ass a filter to it. I used to listen to artists telling everyone "draw everything from scratch, do not reuse shots and backgrounds", and after a few years I can honestly say: this is bullshit. Save your time.

Do test comics before diving into your dream story. You can upload them, you can draw them to hide in a box under your bed for the rest of your life. But making shorter, simpler comics to understand what you struggle with, what you like, and get what you have to work with... or maybe even redo something would be a major improvement for your speed and efficiency with your dream story.

Negotiate with yourself. So many people write the first draft, and are reluctant to change even the most minor detail. But there's no room for improvement if you do not. Giving out for critiques did me a lot of good, even though I feel like it could do more. Reading yourself after a week or so with a fresh eye, and changing scenes is great as well. Nothing is beyond improvement. Do not only learn new things - but apply them as well. Artistic stubbornness cripples you efficiency, and doesn't let you move forward as an artist. Humbly admitting that none of your ideas are sacred and allowing room for improvement gives you better vision, more perspective, and lets you evolve as an artist.

Time management is important. You've been drawing your comic for five years now? And you're just in the first quarter of it? Are you ready to finish it when you're fifty? Are you sure you won't have more important things to do in future, like work, family, pets, house? How can you speed things up?