Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Why are people on YouTube so mean?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Why are people on YouTube so mean?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Why are people on YouTube so mean?", 13 days ago, 1:52 PM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Not that I care, but sometimes, the lengths YouTube comments will go is just kind of... disgusting. The amount of disrespecting and trolling is just enough to make you want to turn off your computer then and there especially when you see the venomous comments they make on certain videos.

Are the admins even aware of how bad it is? Me, I don't answer, but I have reported. In fact, I always do, but I'm wondering if it really does help. Like, how did it get this bad?
13 days ago, 1:59 PM #2
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
what sort of videos are you watching?
13 days ago, 2:10 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Honestly, anything. Even just recipe videos. People made venomous comments there too about the baker.
13 days ago, 2:24 PM #4
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
I'd say internet meanness has often much to do with the ability to hide behind the shields of anonymity and physical non-presence, meaning that the trolls can get away consequence-free with much more than they could if they said something similar in real life.
13 days ago, 3:00 PM #5
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
majority of comments i come across are 'first' types, just trying to get attention. 'when i see [channel names] videos i drop everything and click'
that sort of thing.

a lot of others look suspiciously like things a bot would say. 'love this channel, it really helps.'

I prefer if the comments just discuss the content.

Merged Doublepost:

eg
13 days ago, 3:41 PM #6
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
There are two types of people:

People who were raised right.

Fuckheads who weren't.

This is why stupid people shouldn't breed.
13 days ago, 3:58 PM #7
I-ninja
Can run and hide
Registration date: 19th Nov 2012
Internet anonymity, creates an opportunity where the negative emotions of people are able to act freely. Which is both a good and a bad thing. On one hand you are releasing negativity on a space which ultimately doesn't matter, but the bad part comes from the release of negativity being at the expense of others.

Honestly there is nothing you can do about it because, trying to suppress negativity does nothing but make it worse, because these people already "feel" suppressed in the real world where the negativity they get originally comes from and all it's really doing is validating their feelings. Reporting does nothing, people can make alt accounts in mere seconds, and come back harder for the same reason.

The best thing to do is to ignore it, less you run the risk of burning yourself out trying to fight a useless fight.
13 days ago, 4:41 PM #8
Kelsey -Nutty- P.
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
MK_Wizard:
Are the admins even aware of how bad it is? Me, I don't answer, but I have reported. In fact, I always do, but I'm wondering if it really does help. Like, how did it get this bad?

This is a completely valid question, but the truth is that the administration at YouTube is a joke.

If you follow any YouTube creator on Twitter, at one point or another you'd see them complain about a terrible new feature being rolled out, or their channel bring falsely flagged or demonetized, and then YouTube's robot twitter account will chime in like "how can we help with that?", other than that, unless the creator is popular (ie. brings a lot of money in for the platform via views and advertising), they usually get ignored.

So, if they can't help creators, then I doubt monitoring the comments of 30 million users is their top priority. This isn't a small community like ComicFury, and I think this ridiculously huge ballooning of the platform is exactly why it got so bad. Reports are handled by robots because that's the easiest route for them, not to mention cheapest; why hure people to respond to floods of reports every day when robots can do it? Twitter has the same problem right now.

It's really unfortunate, and is happening too often nowadays with internet companies that get too big for their britches with investors that expect constant growth in value. It's a hot mess. They start cutting costs and their users suffer for it.
13 days ago, 4:44 PM #9
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
The people who run YouTube know how bad YouTube is. Maybe they just don't care, or an improved moderation system is a long way from implementation.

The way that they only react to controversies if there's public outrage (lots of angry people on Twitter like Kelsey mentioned, or news networks start talking about it) makes me think it's the first one.

Disliking or reporting comments doesn't do anything. The dislike button is seriously only there to make you feel better - it doesn't even change the upvote count anymore. I only look at first couple top comments because they usually aren't too bad.
13 days ago, 5:09 PM #10
MK_Wizard

It is just so ugly. And even now, I made a comment on a bullying video saying that the girl was rude for showing off but she didn’t deserve to be bullied for it, and now, I am getting hateful comments for it in abundance. It is like they didn’t read me properly. Mind you, I think I am really just a random target.
13 days ago, 5:13 PM #11
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
I find that people on YouTube in particular are very negative. There are idk how many videos titled “why I hate such-and-such.” It’s contagious. I get so sick of the negativity that I even find myself being negative about the negativity in the comments. I’ve probably been too harsh, so I need to work on that. It just drives me crazy, why can’t people just chill and not bloe everything out of proportions??
13 days ago, 5:19 PM #12
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
MK_Wizard:It is just so ugly. And even now, I made a comment on a bullying video saying that the girl was rude for showing off but she didn’t deserve to be bullied for it, and now, I am getting hateful comments for it in abundance. It is like they didn’t read me properly. Mind you, I think I am really just a random target.

You're absolutely a random target. It's not a personal thing.

YouTube comments are not a place for quality discussion. It isn't like here where people get in trouble for calling each other names. I hope you know now not to even bother with the comments section.
13 days ago, 5:39 PM #13
Kelsey -Nutty- P.
Oh, Mk, no, please don't engage in the comment section if you can help it. It's not worth it. You will gain nothing but hurt. Just like, subscribe, and enjoy the content you like.
13 days ago, 5:42 PM #14
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
I've been trolling Youtube for 10 years and I'm still free to troll and upload content without a single warning. My main targets are stupid videos and bad memes.

Every now and then, I leave positive comments on videos I like, though. You can't really look into someone's post history, unless you're a dev.
"Why are people on YouTube so mean?", 13 days ago, 5:50 PM #15
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
YouTube is such an excellent way to learn how to do things. With me, it’s motor scooter maintenance. However, there are people who have a better way of doing things, and don’t want mis-information going out there, and there are people who don’t know what they’re doing, but have a video camera and love posting themselves on YouTube. :-)

Still there’s a better way of correcting people or expressing your opinion on the comments section.

— Rick Rudge
13 days ago, 5:57 PM #16
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I failed to find the thread again, but yesterday I saw a post on Twitter about just that, by a person who claimed to have worked on the recommendations algorithm. Even without the thread though, all the main facts are easy to confirm except the more firsthand ones, so I'll take it as true.

Basically, Youtube wants to maximise ad views, so it tries to push people to watch as many videos as possible. So the AI tries to steer viewers towards the viewing patterns of users who spend the most time on Youtube. And so that's a rather troubled minority that gets to determine what everybody else sees. Conspiracy theorists, extremists, and hacks of all sorts are the sort of content producers those people are drawn to, and so the algorithm tries to reproduce the viewing progression that lead to watching those, eventually trapping more vulnerable people into quitting their job to listen to flat earth theories all day (ok internet addiction is not that simple but like an algorith that deliberately exploits it certainly doesn't help!)
So you know when people say recommendations are based on your own viewing history? Well they're more based on compulsive viewers' history and the bot attempts to tailor it to you.

Well I say that in the present tense but they alledgedly stopped doing that last month. We'll see if it works better than when Tumblr said it was changing its policies.

Anyway, all that means that Youtube is deliberately nurturing a toxic culture for a minority of very active users, and the userbase at large is exposed to more of that stuff than they would if left to their own device, and that absolutely has an effect on their own behaviour on (and off) the site.

In lack of the original thread I would have liked to link, I looked up articles covering most of the content for reference:
On why Youtube promotes conspiracies
On the current attempt to change that model.
Oh look they tried to fix that years ago it did nothing I'm so surprised!
13 days ago, 6:21 PM #17
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
YouTube is a lot less of a united community than say, Facebook, Twitter, or even fourms like this. While those aren't exactly just one big group, they still tend to have niches and communities where people usually know each other at least somewhat well. YouTube doesn't really have those communities, and therefore people are a lot more okay with saying whatever they feel like without fear of pissing off the rest of their little community, as they don't really have one.
13 days ago, 6:34 PM #18
MK_Wizard

I will not stop commenting because to me it is the defeatists way of handling things. I just won't feed trolls.

Merged Doublepost:

I deleted the comment because I was sick of the annoying comments flooding in.
13 days ago, 6:47 PM #19
Kelsey -Nutty- P.
There's absolutely nothing defeatist about pulling yourself away from a completely toxic and irredeemable... I can't even call it a community. People use the world "cesspool" a lot, and I think YouTube's Comment Sections are the closest thing that actually matches the severity of that word.

Your pride is not worth the stress. You've already taken a step by deleting that comment because you decided the abuse wasn't worth it.

Please, please take care of yourself, MK. This isn't about "feeding trolls" or defending your right to comment, this is about your safety in a horrible environment.
13 days ago, 6:50 PM #20
MK_Wizard

I know that only too well, Kelsey. I already decided to never rejoin one toxic place. I am not going to start participating in another one. I have better places to be and better people to talk to :)