Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Controversial shippings in media.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Controversial shippings in media.
Pages: [1] [2]

"Controversial shippings in media.", 12 days ago, 9:39 AM #1
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Since it's that time of the year, where couples gain too much calories through chocolate and such.
Let's remind ourselves the most hilarious shipping scandals!

I'll start with the obvious one: The ending of Bleach.
Apparently the goalless MC got cannoned with another bland character, I think her name was Kyrie or something (/voice actor joke). That let to devil triggering of fans so much, they burnt their Bleach stuff, on which they've spent their hard earned cash.

12 days ago, 10:08 AM #2
Vincethestick
sensitive
Registration date: 7th Jan 2014
It didn't help that Orihime stopped being useful or interesting after the Soul Society arc...which is arc 2 out of like 6 or 7 (more if you count the anime only arcs). I don't wanna get into Kubo's strenuous relationship with Jump, but nonetheless I was upset with how most of the final arc + ending played out. However, burning your Bleach loot just seems like overreacting.

Also we had like 4 characters who may or may not have died within a gigantic ball filled with poison, but whatever let's just never resolve that and cut to Ichigo's house where we see the 2 lamest endgame pairings. Ichigo and Orihime I kinda get even though it's boring and typical but Rukia and Renji? C'mon, where'd that come from.

As far as recent memory, I can only think of that one weird writer for the Powerpuff Girls reboot who self-inserted himself in the show just so he could try and bang Blossom.
12 days ago, 10:29 AM #3
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
On that PPG thing, from what I heard he was put in as a joke from the other writers.

And I'm pretty sure that's worse.
12 days ago, 12:47 PM #4
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Normally, I find shipping to be harmless and really just wish fulfillment an fantasy. However, I have seen fans get venomous to the point of being frightening and cruel because of how badly they want their dream pairing to become real. I think that when you real that level of obsession to the point where you even start harassing the writers or other fans who don't agree with you, there's something seriously wrong with you and you need help. It looks no better than a guy who can't differentiate fanservice from reality to the point where he actively complains that real women are not they way they are anime.

I used to be a very small shipper myself back in the day, but even back then, I was picky and I grew out of it fast when I realised relationships were not a fashion statement. Some people aren't interested in romance altogether and that's fine. Bottom line is that I don't deny that shipping in fandoms can be a breeding ground for toxic behaviour and obsession, because it's also one of the easiest things to avoid.
12 days ago, 12:59 PM #5
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Bruce and Barbara!

Sora and Riku
12 days ago, 1:02 PM #6
MK_Wizard

The Letter M:Bruce and Barbara!

I never like Bruce and Barbara together. Their relationship was not healthy and nothing good came out of it. I know in some storylines its official, but I didn't like it. To me, it was a prime example of why some romances are better off not happening.
12 days ago, 1:18 PM #7
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
The Letter M:Bruce and Barbara!

I hear some really hate timm over this. I dont get how anyone can hate someone that draws such curvy cute characters...
12 days ago, 1:21 PM #8
MK_Wizard

I don't hate the guy. We all make mistakes and bad judgement calls. I just don't like this specific thing he did. And honestly, why hang onto hate over a fictional thing? It's not real and all you need to do is not watch it or read it if it bothers you.
12 days ago, 6:27 PM #9
The Letter M
I never like Bruce and Barbara together.

No. They are terrible for each other. It totally smashes the bat family causing decades of drama. That's why it's such a good idea.
12 days ago, 6:31 PM #10
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
Romeo and Juliet
12 days ago, 7:10 PM #11
junoro
yesterday, you said junoro
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
When I was watching the first season of Voltron I remember being like "Aw" over Allura and Lance and Allura and Shiro, since they both had little cute moments together. Then the official ages of everyone (EXCEPT ALLURA) was announced, and Shiro was 25 and Lance was a teenager and suddenly it became way too uncomfortable to ship this woman of uncertain age with someone either way too old for her or someone way too young. Then I fell behind and from what I heard, it went some wiiiild places. I just remember the drama that erupted when people tried shipping Shiro with ANYONE since he was an adult among teenagers
12 days ago, 7:24 PM #12
Lutztoons
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
-removed-

I ignored the thread topic, sorry
12 days ago, 7:33 PM #13
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Everybody got all worked up over Harold's sexuality reveal, in the last Captain Underpants book.
And I'm just sitting here, having a morbid fascination over a cyber hamster and pterodactyl quetzalcoatlus saving the world in these books, by having sex.

I swear I'm not making this up, even if I wanted.
12 days ago, 10:35 PM #14
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
I feel like there's different levels of shippings that can happen...

Level 0: "They ended up together in canon" - these are normal (assuming the canon isn't bad).

Level 1: "They haven't ended up together yet... but they've shown romantic interest!" - still normal.

Level 2: "The canon says they didn't end up together, but they did show an interest towards each other earlier in the story" - sometimes the story doesn't go the way you wanted, we all get that.

Level 3: "Ok, they haven't had any romantic interest, but you can read some stuff into all those interactions they have" - hey, sometimes we have dreams, it's cool.

Level 4: "I think maybe they've been in the same room once or twice?" - so it's just for fun, neat.

Level 5: "All right they have had a lot of screentime together, buuut they hate each other" - that's not exactly the recipe for a healthy relationship, so maybe do some introspection to see why you're into that. but for certain pairings I can see where you'd pull from.

Level 6: "I'm gonna ship a child with an adult!" - STOP
12 days ago, 10:59 PM #15
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
Edit: removed, yep I didn't read op correctly
12 days ago, 11:03 PM #16
Timelapse11
goes fast
Registration date: 14th May 2017
I always hate when people ship Woody and Jessie (Toy Story) You would not believe how many actually think that they're dating!
Nope! Buzz is dating Jessie and Woody is dating Bo, come on people, it's not that hard to see that.
12 days ago, 11:08 PM #17
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
I don't feel like people are getting the theme of the thread - it's about controversial canon ships, not controversial fan ships.
12 days ago, 11:18 PM #18
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
TheStrangerous:I'll start with the obvious one: The ending of Bleach.
Apparently the goalless MC got cannoned with another bland character, I think her name was Kyrie or something (/voice actor joke). That let to devil triggering of fans so much, they burnt their Bleach stuff, on which they've spent their hard earned cash.

Bro, the ending to Naruto pissed off the shippers so bad that someone made something called: "The Hall of Anal Devastation", over 500 images of people furious about the ending: https://imgur.com/a/XKwJ4/

The one you listed about Bleach? That's "The Hall of Anal Devastation 2": https://imgur.com/gallery/XcMWY

-- Shippers take that shit seriously.

12 days ago, 11:33 PM #19
The Letter M
MistakeNPotatoes:I don't feel like people are getting the theme of the thread - it's about controversial canon ships, not controversial fan ships.

Is it shipping if it's canon? I thought the whole point of shipping was talking about the imaginary match ups of characters people think should get together. You can't like ship Mr Fantastic and Mrs Fantastic. The job is done.
12 days ago, 11:39 PM #20
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Hey man I'm just the messenger. I'm not really in the whole 'ship-culture' thing.