Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Dream of Absolution

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Dream of Absolution
Pages: [1] [2]

"Dream of Absolution", 13 days ago, 10:21 PM #1
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Ya know, a dream that reoccurs several times and has a similar feel to it. It's familiar and strong enough where you KNOW where it's leading and how it'll end. Unlike the disturbing/painful burn of nightmares, dreams bring a "unreal" sensation that is only felt at that moment and you know the reason why, too! Has anyone else had a reoccuring dream? (Or if you're a uncomfortable with dreams? Share a nightmare!)

DISCLAIMER:

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
13 days ago, 10:31 PM #2
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I used to have the same two nightmares all the time as a kid, though thankfully, my nightmares have now branched out a bit! I had a narratively great one last night involving the ghost of a little girl forcing us to play a horrifying version of truth or dare. But for my two childhood nightmares:

One was that my hallway was a cartoon where a man pulled a dog on a little red wagon. They wanted to eat me, but they couldn't because my room was real, and they were cartoon. But then, I'd notice the corners of my room starting to look less real, and I knew I'd have to run through the hallway before I was cornered in my bedroom.

The other dream was super realistic. I'd sit up in bed, and the clock on my wall would be gone. Instead, there was a long, unadorned mirror in its place and the whole room pulsed with clock ticks. In the mirror, I'd see shapes walking as shadows. That was the whole dream, but it terrified me.

Oddly enough, I do dream the same fake places. There's an old house, a city center, a noodle shop, a museum, and so on that I dream about all the time. When I try and remember what they're based on, I tend to think "of course! I visited that place as a kid all the time", then realize I never did and my only other similar memories are dreams. The museum is the weirdest because I dream about it all the time, and part of me is so sure I used to visit it on the way home from Boulder hotsprings out in the country, but that's quite impossible.
11 days ago, 1:05 AM #3
CrosEL

swamp:I used to have the same two nightmares all the time as a kid, though thankfully, my nightmares have now branched out a bit!

Oddly enough, I do dream the same fake places. There's an old house, a city center, a noodle shop, a museum, and so on that I dream about all the time. When I try and remember what they're based on, I tend to think "of course! I visited that place as a kid all the time", then realize I never did and my only other similar memories are dreams. The museum is the weirdest because I dream about it all the time, and part of me is so sure I used to visit it on the way home from Boulder hotsprings out in the country, but that's quite impossible.

Did you ever ask your parents to make sure you nevered visited any of those places? Especially the museum: I dreamed of fake places too, but NEVER were they re-occuring enough for me to remember them easily, nor were did they resemble anywhere I've been.

(The only exception is my late-grandma's house: which is creepy as heck, because we'd either be moving there or she'd be in there still...)

UBERNATURA
11 days ago, 1:25 AM #4
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I had a reoccuring dream for the longest time that I forgot to feed my dog, and I'd just drop whatever I was doing in the dream to go and feed him. After some traumatic experience though that was totally unrelated, I had the same dream shortly after except partway through, I realized my dog died years ago, and woke up. And that was the last time I had that dream.

No idea what the symbolism was in that one, but that was a thing that happened. :l
11 days ago, 1:40 AM #5
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Guess I'm boring. All I get are dreams about similar anxieties or whatever. On occasion there'll be "sequels" to previous dreams. But other than that, I've had no single dream that I've had multiple times to the point I'd call it reoccurring.
11 days ago, 3:28 AM #6
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
CrosEL:Did you ever ask your parents to make sure you nevered visited any of those places? Especially the museum: I dreamed of fake places too, but NEVER were they re-occuring enough for me to remember them easily, nor were did they resemble anywhere I've been.

I can say for sure. The museum has a number of improbably things in it, and a very specific aesthetic I would know if I'd ever visited.

But the location is also very important and... there's isn't anything there. Between me and that hot springs, there's one small town, and endless fields. I would know if there was a coffee shop there, let alone a museum.

It's also odd because my brain will like... use them like sets. Whenever I dream in a city, it's the same city. But sometimes I call it Portland or London or Seattle. Even if I've been to the place and know the actual city, it's always just the same city. the same closed down Chinese grocery. The same made up yogurt shop.
11 days ago, 3:55 AM #7
Matthew Young

Registration date: 4th Feb 2019
I'll let you know when I finally have a dream that isn't a nightmare.
11 days ago, 6:01 PM #8
CrosEL

swamp:I can say for sure. The museum has a number of improbably things in it, and a very specific aesthetic I would know if I'd ever visited.

It's also odd because my brain will like... use them like sets. Whenever I dream in a city, it's the same city. But sometimes I call it Portland or London or Seattle.

I hate to ay this: but it sounds like either your mind's playing you... or the scarier thing: it's trying to set-up something that you aren't aware of, which shouldn't be able to happen, I think? (Dreams aren't like your body's growing hair, teeth blinking ect naturally, right? This reoccurrence sounds like a message...)

Merged Doublepost:

Bryfang:I had a reoccuring dream for the longest time that I forgot to feed my dog, and I'd just drop whatever I was doing in the dream to go and feed him. After some traumatic experience though that was totally unrelated, I had the same dream shortly after except partway through, I realized my dog died years ago, and woke up. And that was the last time I had that dream.

No idea what the symbolism was in that one, but that was a thing that happened. :l

I assume it was simply you missing your dog? Or you were still holding onto it in your subconscious until you were ready to let go? And sorry about the dog: I haven't dreamed of him yet, but I, while awake: miss our dog(s) a lot...

Guess I'm boring. All I get are dreams about similar anxieties or whatever. On occasion there'll be "sequels" to previous dreams. But other than that, I've had no single dream that I've had multiple times to the point I'd call it reoccurring.

Real life's so hectic: maybe there's no room for more nightmares or even a dream? Is there a "dream" you'd rather be doing in real life?

I'll let you know when I finally have a dream that isn't a nightmare.

Holy crap! That sounds worse than my nightmares for a week arc... I hope you get a pleasant dream, soon!

UBERNATURA
11 days ago, 6:52 PM #9
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
swamp:

Almost all my dreams are of this nature. When outside the dream, they seem to be parallel lives in parallel universes. I know exactly where the locations are, but what is there is not the same as here- and there are three or four different very consistent 'worlds.'

A lot of the time, it takes me a while to realize I am in one of these different worlds- everything is completely plausible, just different. People know me- but I don't know them (except in a few cases). Usually I am looking for someone or something, until I realize that I'm somewhere 'else,' and then I just kind of go with the flow until it ends.

I'm never there long enough to figure out what's going on, but over many, many years of showing up in the same continuity for brief periods, I have figured out a couple of things in some of them. In one, for instance, I seem to be living with an old girlfriend from high school. I think I probably showed up in this sequence for at least ten years before I saw her, and I still don't know if we're married. But, the location is very specific, and except for the occasional death of a restaurant or the coming of a Taco Bell it's all very consistent.

One feature of these dreams is it always feels like a bad idea to let anyone know I don't belong there. This leads me to suspect that perhaps when I am there, some other me is here.
11 days ago, 9:10 PM #10
CrosEL

Eaton Pye:Almost all my dreams are of this nature. When outside the dream, they seem to be parallel lives in parallel universes. I know exactly where the locations are, but what is there is not the same as here- and there are three or four different very consistent 'worlds.'

One feature of these dreams is it always feels like a bad idea to let anyone know I don't belong there. This leads me to suspect that perhaps when I am there, some other me is here.

Creepy... it's like you are teleported away to another world and "replaced" on Earth, for a set time.. But: you're not suppose to be there yet, so you can't talk to anyone until "something" sends you back here!

UBERNATURA
11 days ago, 10:03 PM #11
Eaton Pye

Actually, I do talk to other people there, and it's not so much me being teleported, it's more like my consciousness is inhabiting this other person's body- only the other person is in some sense also me. I just don't have much continuity with their knowledge of the world. I don't remember moving to this particular town, for instance, or anything that doesn't happen while I'm there. So it also feels like maybe they are here in my body when I'm there in their's. Or, since there seem to be several of these, perhaps there's some kind of round-robin to it, or random pairings. So, I always feel a certain pressure not to let it slip that I'm not really the person that people are talking to, or to act too weird or out of place. Usually the encounters are casual and very brief, but sometimes they get really uncomfortable.
11 days ago, 10:23 PM #12
CrosEL

So it's either something like body-swapping or omnipresence?...

(Other you knows different people, who'd attack if they knew you-you were there instead!?…
this is getting freaky...)

UBERNATURA
11 days ago, 10:44 PM #13
Eaton Pye

I don't know if they would attack, exactly, but it would make for a pretty uncomfortable situation, wouldn't it?
10 days ago, 1:30 PM #14
CrosEL

It would... I'm glad they don't seem to be heading to anything scary...

UBERNATURA
10 days ago, 3:26 PM #15
Eaton Pye

That's pretty extreme! These dreams or excursions or whatever of mine are pretty much indistinguishable from my 'main life.' People are just people, etc. But then, I know some pretty odd people here, too...

One thing is that if they are happening a lot, or an individual occurrence goes on for a long time, when I wake up, I'm exhausted, even if nothing particularly interesting happened. The dreams themselves tend to be boring and uneventful.
10 days ago, 7:19 PM #16
CrosEL

Eaton Pye:These dreams or excursions or whatever of mine are pretty much indistinguishable from my 'main life.' People are just people, etc. But then, I know some pretty odd people here, too...

One thing is that if they are happening a lot, or an individual occurrence goes on for a long time, when I wake up, I'm exhausted, even if nothing particularly interesting happened. The dreams themselves tend to be boring and uneventful.

Strange... I never had a completely uneventful dream... Maybe you truly ARE living two lives?.. This sounds a lot different from uneventful stuff happening naturally, but something that could range from: extremely fun to horrific happening only in your sleep..

I'd love for my recent concert-dreams to be a 'Another Life' too!

UBERNATURA
10 days ago, 7:49 PM #17
Eaton Pye

I guess I should say that what is happening in the dreams tends to be boring and uneventful. Sometimes- but not always- it's quite stressful for me because I know I'm not supposed to be there and I'm trying to keep anyone from noticing that. And of course, sometimes there's some stress leading up to the point of figuring out I'm not where I belong, but over time that has diminished and I figure it out faster. Sometimes I know right away, and I just try to keep a low profile until it stops.
10 days ago, 10:18 PM #18
CrosEL

There's another way of seeing this, then: maybe your subconscious is telling you, you're not where you want to be?
The unfamiliar place(s), the people who you're trying to hide your identity from, the uncomfortable feeling: they could all mean that you're trying to hide yourself in real life from people you feel you can't your real self too?

Or you really are being transported between two lives/bodies...

UBERNATURA
10 days ago, 11:05 PM #19
Eaton Pye

That wouldn't be late breaking news. It would be like my subconscious reminding me to brush my teeth. Yeah, I know, I do it three or four times a day...
9 days ago, 7:03 PM #20
CrosEL

I have breaking news then: It's not nearly as often, but... I have had dreams where people's teeth just fall out!
I'd be at church and a guy I know is talking, and his teeth just start falling out, he's like What the actual hell?

Another dream is where I'm at home, sometimes my siblings and my teeth fall out, sometimes I'm currently brushing them and they fall out!

The worse ones is:
When I'm eating Laffy-Taffy or Gumdrops(?) and my teeth AGONIZINGLY are being pulled out while I chew (I can't stop it either...) until blood's pouring out of my mouth!

The sadder one's where I'm talking and they just fall out too easily... Which SLIGHTLY traumatized me...

I'm glad you brush your teeth, and please stay away from "pulling" candies! Your subconscious might be giving you a "Pat on the back" for your hygiene.

UBERNATURA
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Dream of Absolution
Pages: [1] [2]