Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What tale would you like to see deconstructed?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What tale would you like to see deconstructed?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"What tale would you like to see deconstructed?", 12 days ago, 2:56 AM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
With the coming of Brightburn which is a deconstruction of something...

It brought to my attention that there are so many untapped deconstruction potentials that have never been explorered. And I am not just talking about ones that have been adapted to death like Beauty and Beast, Cinderella and more. I love them, but when I say deconstruction, I mean taking the version we know and turning it on it’s head.

Like for example... you take the Cinderella tale, but deconstruct it so that Cinderella is not this poor abused girl who finally meets her prince. The story is turned upside down so that she is a problem child and a gold digger who seduces her prince into being her sugar daddy.

Or you take the Frankenstein monster and instead of being rejected by society because he is a misfit, fortune has it that other misfits of society find him and take him in. With that, he becomes a good and kind person and does well for himself.

Any other ideas?
12 days ago, 3:08 AM #2
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
I would like to deconstruct a lot of the deconstruction that’s going on today, it makes me sad but also inspired to make good quality stories. I miss all the hopeful, inspiring heroes. I’m not gonna be specific cause I’m sick of the culture war and whatnot which can and totally might flare up on here if I go into depth.

But this is an interesting concept
12 days ago, 4:12 AM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
To me, deconstruction implies not just a different telling of the story, but a story that comments on and challenges the original. And it doesn't always have to be More Edgy. I think the GrimDarkGirtty could use some challenging of it's own.

Personally, the tropes and ideas I'm most interested seeing challenged are, of course, disability related. I would particularly like to see a turn on the "healthy person meets a sick person and learns some important lessons before the sick person dies tragically"/"sick person kills themselves for benefit of healthy person because their life is meaningless". I don't know what the best story to make with those feelings would be though that would really comment on the original genre are either uninteresting and preachy, or play into other tropes I really dislike (the disabled person is actually faking it being the worst IMO).

I think the best subversion of disability tropes I've seen is in the 3%, a Brazillion dystopia series where the characters are fighting for places in the small utopic city out of a life of desperate poverty. Michel tells the staff he wants to get there to be cured of his parapaligia, but confesses to another character in private that his desire for a cure is to make him more sympathetic to the judges, and the idea of being 'cured' is actually deeply horrifying to him. It was a great inversion of tropes, without being too on the nose, and actually added to the complexity and depth of the character's position.
12 days ago, 9:12 AM #4
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Mexican folklores, so much potential, but I worry uneducated simpletons will keep comparing it to CoCo and Book of Life...
Day of The Dead needs to become mainstream, Halloween got old.

Heck, the 5th of November, Guy Fawkes has a potential, he could be a mischievous villain, accidentally becoming good, but also bombing the Big Ben, unintentionally *wink* *wink*
12 days ago, 12:55 PM #5
MK_Wizard

Actually, I did mean positive deconstruction too. Like for example, another Cinderella take would be that the stepmother is actually misunderstood by Cinderella and is a very loving woman. She's just trying to teach Cinderella to be self reliant and not lazy.
12 days ago, 1:31 PM #6
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
gotta be honest, I'm not a fan of deconstruction in general. I'm sure there are good deconstruction stories here and there, but it's not my thing, so I generally avoid it.

I'm the kind of person who thinks stories should respect their characters as much as possible (comedy/satire doesn't count) and I love wacky, fantastic, larger-than-life stuff. so I'm naturally allergic to "more realistic" interpretations (which often just means edgier, angstier and nsfwer) of a lighthearted universe, and I loathe the "bashing and denigrating founding characters is kooool" attitude.

people can totally write what they want, but don't expect me to, say, enjoy a hypothetical story where superheroes are likened to some kind of plague, where being a tough jerk is the only acceptable personality, and where flamboyantly colorful cartoon costumes are "stupid".

that being said... if deconstruction can be positive, then I'd really like to play a Pokemon game where humans don't exclusively rely on their lovable mons to fight. no wonder the various Team Whatever are losers. they stop fighting as soon as their Pokemons are defeated. they don't even, like, try to punch you and escape or something. and what if, for once, you could fight a wild Pokemon after it just ko'd your team? that'd be pretty funny.
12 days ago, 2:00 PM #7
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
Matt Comics:
that being said... if deconstruction can be positive, then I'd really like to play a Pokemon game where humans don't exclusively rely on their lovable mons to fight. no wonder the various Team Whatever are losers. they stop fighting as soon as their Pokemons are defeated. they don't even, like, try to punch you and escape or something. and what if, for once, you could fight a wild Pokemon after it just ko'd your team? that'd be pretty funny.

aaaand now I'm imagining adult men breaking into violent fistfights at their kid's Pokemon tourneys.
12 days ago, 3:20 PM #8
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I like deconstructions that do a different take on the same concept, but I very strongly agree with what Matt said there and a lot of the takes that make it to mass media are of that exact nature, unfortunately:

Matt Comics:I'm the kind of person who thinks stories should respect their characters as much as possible (comedy/satire doesn't count) and I love wacky, fantastic, larger-than-life stuff. so I'm naturally allergic to "more realistic" interpretations (which often just means edgier, angstier and nsfwer) of a lighthearted universe, and I loathe the "bashing and denigrating founding characters is kooool" attitude.
12 days ago, 3:46 PM #9
MK_Wizard

Yes and no. By all means, everything comes down to respect, but you can deconstruct and still respect the character and story. If you're not mocking or insulting the work, I don't see harm. Technically, isn't Lego Batman a little bit of a deconstruction with silliness? And I agree that realism has no place in fiction. Period.

And I agree that making everything edgier and darker is not always better. I'm one of the few people who hates Riverdale for that reason. It's one thing to add drama and edge to Archie, and it's another to make it in such a way where I question if the writers maybe hated the original story. When I make a deconstruction, I love the story I'm writing to begin with and basing it off of. If you don't love the source material, it will show in the result and it will not be pleasant.
12 days ago, 4:08 PM #10
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
If you look into the comics, deconstruction of Superman has already been done to death, and evil superheroes isn't really that new on the movie screen. I can say that I did like Red Son, which is basically a "What if Superman landed in the Soviet Union."

It's funny though, Brightburn reminds me a bit of Gospel of Thomas (one of many writings that didn't make it into the bible). It describes Jesus as a child with superpowers and, boy let me tell you, he was not fun to have around. He'd easily kill another kid if he chose that he didn't like him.
10 days ago, 7:40 PM #11
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
(MK, my apologies, this gets VERY dark... I promise I'm not doing it to be annoying.)

I feel like a deconstruction of Scooby-Doo could be very interesting.

(Warning: GRAPHIC THEMES OF SEX, VIOLENCE, AND GORE UNDER SPOILER TAG!)

...it's possible this is a terrible idea and a terrible post, and that I just need more sleep.
10 days ago, 8:05 PM #12
MK_Wizard

Caley, it's your right and I have long since accepted your tastes, humour and writing. And honestly, I've seen more extreme deconstructions done by professionals.
10 days ago, 8:12 PM #13
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Thanks, MK. :)

...although my "pitch" above was much darker and grosser than my tastes normally allow for. :P
10 days ago, 8:14 PM #14
MK_Wizard

That's why I let it slide. Sometimes, you know when someone is exaggerating and to not take it so darn seriously. Especially when it's just fiction. In fact, my next comic is going to be a bit on the "not for small kids" side. You know I don't go too dark. I just don't have it in me, but it's definitely going to have more blood and some clearly for teens themes.
10 days ago, 8:20 PM #15
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
What tale would you like to see deconstructed?

Space Mutiny.

Caley Tibbittz Collopy:I feel like a deconstruction of Scooby-Doo could be very interesting.

Set it to music and you've got this generation's "Little Shop of Horrors."
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
10 days ago, 9:09 PM #16
Jessie Blue
rivaling gator
Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
Ohh if somebody wanted to do one of Pokemon I'd love to see one where there is like an underground group that fights against and rescues pokemon from the tournaments (because if you think about it for even a second Pokemen is kinda horribly about animal fighting and I'm not sure how it got approved as a kid show?) I'd love to see a hilarious scene where a big tournament has to be canceled last minute because PETP (People For the Ethical Treatment of Pokemen) snuck in during the night and freed all the pokemon.
10 days ago, 9:57 PM #17
Kourtney

Registration date: 27th Dec 2018
Ooh, I know! How about a deconstruction of the "nerdy 'nice' guy gets the girl" trope?

Someone could make a movie that starts out as a romantic comedy, from the perspective of an awkward, introverted "nice" guy, who just wants to win over a pretty girl from the clutches of her "evil" jock boyfriend. But as the film goes on, the perspective slowly changes from the nerd's perspective to that of the girl's, and the tone changes from that of a romantic comedy to that of a horror/thriller. As it turns out, the "nice" guy is creepier and more abusive than her jock boyfriend. In today's day and age of incels, MRAs, and red/black-pillers, such a deconstruction would be a much needed breath of fresh air.
10 days ago, 10:00 PM #18
MK_Wizard

I have thought of that a lot. As someone who's friends were nerds who had trouble speaking to girls, I know the difference between a shy misunderstood guy and a creep.
10 days ago, 10:14 PM #19
Jay042
Keeps with the times
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
One thing I've given some thought about deconstructing is the John Carter: Warlord of Mars stories. If find it real easy to turn Carter from hero to villain.

If you've read any of Edgar Rice Burroughs' original stories, most of them are told in first person by Carter himself. Which makes it real easy for me to regard him as an unreliable narrator. So his whole story arc in the first book of him becoming supreme ruler of Mars goes from being rousing adventure to the calculated rise of a despot.
10 days ago, 10:55 PM #20
TheHiddenElephant
not a slice of pizza
Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
So, you know those stories about the robot uprising? Why not deconstruct that? The big AI wants to take over the Earth because it doesn't believe that Humanity can control themselves, only to discover that the task is, frankly, just not worth it for all the trouble it's worth. Give the robot an entertaining personality, and you've got yourself a comedy.