Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Don’t Tell Me to Smile

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Don’t Tell Me to Smile
Pages: [1] [2]

"Don’t Tell Me to Smile", 8 days ago, 9:54 PM #1
Lutztoons
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
Rant/vent post incoming. This happened literally a few minutes ago.

I’ve not been having a great day and I decided to walk into the corner store to pick up a tea and get out. I have “resting stern face” and I guess I must have looked pretty pissed off, because as soon I walked in, some dude shouted at me, “SMILE!! If you look at me, you gotta smile!” He bellowed it at the top of his voice. The whole store could hear it.

I wish I’d said something, but I didn’t. I wish I’d forced a pissed-off hyena grimace at him, but that didn’t happen. I wanted it to be like those stories over on r/ThatHappened where I gave a sassy comeback and everyone in line clapped. But nope. I acted like I didn’t hear him and hid in the back of the store until he left.

As I was walking away, I heard him mutter, “Oh, so you’re just gonna ignore me?” Yeah, bruh, you’re not worth my time.

Ok so as a lifelong tomboy with resting mad face and wears mostly black, people think they can tell me to smile like it’ll make me stop being scary or something. I’m not shaking with rage or anything— it’s just baffling to me that people will publicly harass women for not meeting their standards.

I understand that this isn’t just a women’s problem, even though it’s pervasive. My boyfriend has resting angry face too and people tell him to smile constantly, which upsets him. It’s so condescending.

This is really just a vent post. If you have stories about being publicly harassed, I invite you to share them if you want. (Btw I don’t want this turning into an argue thread. Thanks.)
8 days ago, 10:25 PM #2
...(RockB)

Registration date: 7th Jul 2016
There's a T-shirt or sign saying "This IS my smiling face". Obviously you need one. I've considered buying one, too, for the same reason... If I try to make up a smile, I look creepy like J.R. Ewing if someone can remember that face. Can't show you an image* because Google seems pissed because I always delete their cookies and now they never ain't not showing me no images no more.

*: Edit: An image of said T-shirt. Not of my "smiling" face.
8 days ago, 10:33 PM #3
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
...(RockB):image

I won't tell you to smile but here, have a video of a moma cat talking to her kittens.

8 days ago, 10:36 PM #4
loyaldog
on complicated terms with man
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
Eeesh. Thankfully, I’ve never been yelled at, but one time an older woman told me she “wanted me to smile more”. I know she didn’t mean anything by it, but I was having a rough day at the time and that kind of pissed me off. Just... let me have a rough day, alright? I don’t want to smile for you.

Sorry you had to deal with that.
8 days ago, 10:43 PM #5
Lutztoons
loyaldog:Eeesh. Thankfully, I’ve never been yelled at, but one time an older woman told me she “wanted me to smile more”. I know she didn’t mean anything by it, but I was having a rough day at the time and that kind of pissed me off. Just... let me have a rough day, alright? I don’t want to smile for you.

Sorry you had to deal with that.

Yeah, that’s annoying. It’s like they want you to perform for them. And yeah, it doesn’t sound like she meant anything by it, but still. I just find it weird how not smiling makes people uncomfortable. It makes me MORE uncomfortable when everyone is smiling and they aren’t being sincere.
8 days ago, 10:44 PM #6
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
I get pretty tired of this. I don't know what possesses a person to tell someone to smile, especially in such an outlandish way as that weirdo you're talking about, Lutz.

It's like.. this isn't your world. Just because you want to see more smiles doesn't mean you can just go around demanding it. How about doing something that's worth smiling for, instead?
8 days ago, 10:47 PM #7
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
This person sounded like a real creep. I am all for making someone smile, but not like that.
8 days ago, 10:49 PM #8
Lutztoons
Product Placement: I won't tell you to smile but here, have a video of a moma cat talking to her kittens.

Video

8 days ago, 10:51 PM #9
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
MK_Wizard:This person sounded like a real creep. I am all for making someone smile, but not like that.

I know, right? Whatever happened to the old pie-in-the-face gag?
8 days ago, 11:00 PM #10
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
This is why I want fang implants.
Or you can do this and smile for a good response. :^)
8 days ago, 11:10 PM #11
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
Shekets:This is why I want fang implants.
Or you can do this and smile for a good response. :^)
Video

I love just about everything Mega64 does, but this video is one of their best
8 days ago, 11:17 PM #12
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
Lutztoons:Rant/vent post incoming. This happened literally a few minutes ago.

I’ve not been having a great day and I decided to walk into the corner store to pick up a tea and get out. I have “resting stern face” and I guess I must have looked pretty pissed off, because as soon I walked in, some dude shouted at me, “SMILE!! If you look at me, you gotta smile!” He bellowed it at the top of his voice. The whole store could hear it.

I wish I’d said something, but I didn’t. I wish I’d forced a pissed-off hyena grimace at him, but that didn’t happen. I wanted it to be like those stories over on r/ThatHappened where I gave a sassy comeback and everyone in line clapped. But nope. I acted like I didn’t hear him and hid in the back of the store until he left.

As I was walking away, I heard him mutter, “Oh, so you’re just gonna ignore me?” Yeah, bruh, you’re not worth my time.

Ok so as a lifelong tomboy with resting mad face and wears mostly black, people think they can tell me to smile like it’ll make me stop being scary or something. I’m not shaking with rage or anything— it’s just baffling to me that people will publicly harass women for not meeting their standards.

I understand that this isn’t just a women’s problem, even though it’s pervasive. My boyfriend has resting angry face too and people tell him to smile constantly, which upsets him. It’s so condescending.

This is really just a vent post. If you have stories about being publicly harassed, I invite you to share them if you want. (Btw I don’t want this turning into an argue thread. Thanks.)

Honestly, not saying the best course of action would have been responding at all, frankly, removing yourself from the situation was the mature decision.

But what I am saying is if anybody told me that I would demand 50$ first. You gotta earn this pretty face.
8 days ago, 11:30 PM #13
Product Placement
Lutztoons:Image

mightguy15:You gotta earn this pretty face.

One week ago, 12:11 AM #14
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
Lutztoons:I understand that this isn’t just a women’s problem, even though it’s pervasive. My boyfriend has resting angry face too and people tell him to smile constantly, which upsets him. It’s so condescending.

People tell me the same thing, I just laugh it off and humor them or give a lil' phrase back like, "This is me smiling!" It's rarely people being condescending, it's usually just a conversation starter, or a random one-off small talk phrase like complimenting someone's attire. I never found it something to get bent outta shape over, to be honest.
One week ago, 12:14 AM #15
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I have the opposite problem. I'm naturally cheery, but I'm also a nervous smiler, which causes a lot of problems

-Creeps thinking I'm trying to flirt when I am actually afraid
-Getting called insincere and fake a lot
-Smiling when I'm getting yelled at and getting yelled at more

It was also a mixed blessing when I did customer service. Bosses loved me, which meant they always put me in front of the front counter, even when I made them promise not to and told them I would pass out if left in a standing position. After I got a concussion, I got permission to kneel on a stool if no customers were in (which was never), but I couldn't sit because that would make me look lazy, and my wheelchair didn't fit behind the counter.

But I sure learned how to keep smiling right until my head hit the ground!
One week ago, 12:19 AM #16
...(RockB)

Registration date: 7th Jul 2016
Product Placement:<image>

Y... near, but rather like the leftmost here:

Meanwhile I found the T-Shirt, here. "Happy face", not "Smiling face", sorry. There are several similar motives.
One week ago, 12:36 AM #17
Lutztoons
Bryfang:People tell me the same thing, I just laugh it off and humor them or give a lil' phrase back like, "This is me smiling!" It's rarely people being condescending, it's usually just a conversation starter, or a random one-off small talk phrase like complimenting someone's attire. I never found it something to get bent outta shape over, to be honest.

I do understand that, but when a perfect stranger shouts at you to smile immediately when you walk into a store, it’s really unsettling. It’s bordering on harassment. Other than that, it’s not necessarily insulting; it’s just annoying. It can feel insensitive if you’re having a terrible time and wouldn’t want to smile even if you were being paid for it.

There was another time when my family and I were on probably the worst vacation ever—pretty all of St Louis was shut down because of flooding, it poured rain the whole time, my mom and I got sick from eating Lion’s Choice roast beef sandwiches, our hotel was overrun with screaming Little Leaguers on a trip, and only one out of four elevators were working. Someone waltzed into our elevator with a weird grin and said, “Nobody is smiling in here!!!!!” We all just stared at him. I’m surprised my dad didn’t rip him a new one, because he was angry about it. You can see where I get it from.

Merged Doublepost:

swamp:I have the opposite problem. I'm naturally cheery, but I'm also a nervous smiler, which causes a lot of problems

-Creeps thinking I'm trying to flirt when I am actually afraid
-Getting called insincere and fake a lot
-Smiling when I'm getting yelled at and getting yelled at more

It was also a mixed blessing when I did customer service. Bosses loved me, which meant they always put me in front of the front counter, even when I made them promise not to and told them I would pass out if left in a standing position. After I got a concussion, I got permission to kneel on a stool if no customers were in (which was never), but I couldn't sit because that would make me look lazy, and my wheelchair didn't fit behind the counter.

But I sure learned how to keep smiling right until my head hit the ground!

This just in: SMILING KILLS!!!

BUt yeah, that really sucks that they made you stand even when you physically couldn’t. Customer service jobs are the worst.
One week ago, 1:14 AM #18
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
There's no need to walk around smiling like a gormless idiot. Wednesday Adams kicks ass.
One week ago, 1:29 AM #19
Lutztoons
The Letter M: There's no need to walk around smiling like a gormless idiot. Wednesday Adams kicks ass.

“Gormless” is my new favorite word now.

If you told Wednesday Addams to smile, there would probably be....consequences
One week ago, 2:00 AM #20
Product Placement
Lutztoons:If you told Wednesday Addams to smile, there would probably be....consequences

Oh, there were.

ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ʷᵉʳᵉ
Forum > General discussion > Don’t Tell Me to Smile
Pages: [1] [2]