Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What time is a good time to post an update?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What time is a good time to post an update?
Pages: [1]

"What time is a good time to post an update?", 9 days ago, 4:49 PM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
My updates are scheduled for midnight, but I am beginning to think that's not a good idea anymore. What time is a good time to post a new comic page?
9 days ago, 5:10 PM #2
MagicMixture

Registration date: 11th Feb 2017
I like to post in the morning of my time zone, like 8am, because I have free time to read them while getting ready. Comics are like my morning newspaper so I assume other readers do that, too. That may not be the best time depending on where you are.

My other comic usually posts at noon, my time zone, but I can't tell if it gets more traffic or not.
9 days ago, 6:02 PM #3
SpiraPhantom

Registration date: 26th Mar 2018
I've read that the best time is in the morning. I update my comic in 11AM of EST, which is also 7PM in my time zone, so I basically update the comic both in the morning and in the evening.
9 days ago, 6:19 PM #4
MK_Wizard

Maybe midnight is too early. I will try a later time when the update is more eye catching.
9 days ago, 11:16 PM #5
Amazing Chris Godbey
formerly DrFurball
Registration date: 16th Jan 2015
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Once I've established a decent buffer and plan on keeping said buffer going. (Oh, wait, that's not what you meant)

I'm a midnight updater, too. Though this thread has got me wondering if that's the best route.
Mornings in one's own timezone might be a good idea. I know when I was a teenager, I'd usually catch up on webcomics or other entertainment sites that updated regularly (such as Homestar Runner) in the mornings (between 5:30-7:00 AM) before I'd head off to school.

However, that was 2003-2008, and people now have constant, 24/7 access to the internet, and don't have to rely on using a dial-up connection to browse the ol' WWW for only a few hours every day.
9 days ago, 11:19 PM #6
MK_Wizard

I picked 7:00 AM. Let's see how that does.
9 days ago, 11:29 PM #7
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I usually schedule uploads around 10/11 AM PST, But honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference in when I upload.
I used to post more around 5 PM PST, and I have also posted around 2 AM and 2 PM and other assortments of times. There doesn't really seem to be much of a difference. Just mess around and see what works best for you, personally.

I ended up choosing this time because other people tend to upload earlier than that, so it puts my comic on top of theirs for "newest" on peoples lists. Also, because it's just around when I get up and I like to have it upload when I am not at the computer/am busy because otherwise I keep refreshing which is a waste of time.

But, I think "optimum upload time" is different for every site and depending on the audience you want to reach. Honestly, it might be a good idea to see when some popular comics upload and just copy them (comics of a similar style and genre to you, of course).

EDIT:
you aren't likely to see a noticeable change with just one update. If you really want to analyze different upload times there are a lot of factors that go into this kind of study. You might see something that will seem like a noticeable change, but is also likely to just be a typical change in the normal trend.
8 days ago, 1:54 PM #8
moonfixer

Registration date: 28th Jun 2018
I used to schedule my comic at noon but I have no idea if that is good or not.
8 days ago, 1:59 PM #9
MK_Wizard

Well, I see a difference already with one try. People see my webcomic on the recently updated page right away and it catches their eye.
"What time is a good time to post an update?", 8 days ago, 4:45 PM #10
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
I’ve noticed that when I post early in the mornings, that a lot of readers view it the following day. Do people in Asian countries read theses English language comics late at night? It’s strange. I can understand that a full day for people to read this brings up the Visitor Statistics, but not necessarily the day ahead.

As far as what day of the week, I try to keep close to weekends.

— Rick Rudge
8 days ago, 6:36 PM #11
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Mk, you need to give it a month or so to see if there is a change in the overall trend. There are a lot of variables you can't control about comic traffic, so you can't know for certain if this is what has made the difference until you have enough information to compare trends.

I'm happy it seems to be working so far, though.
8 days ago, 7:08 PM #12
MK_Wizard

Maybe I am just having a tough week,
8 days ago, 7:20 PM #13
Matthew Young

Registration date: 4th Feb 2019
I wouldn't worry about it. People are going to pop up and pop off of the site at all sorts of times based on their own schedules, so I'm certain the update will be seen either way. Plus, active readers of your comic already know when to check back for new pages.
I myself just use a very vague "every Sunday", because you never know what may take precedent during the day.
8 days ago, 8:01 PM #14
MK_Wizard

This week I was also sick and it must have made me feel more irritable than usual. I am better now though I will still try the time shift. What have I got to lose?
5 days ago, 2:02 PM #15
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
Just to put my two cents out there:

I post in the morning because

1. I once heard people enjoy reading comics in the morning before work or school (Don't know if that's true or not.).

2.I don't like working on my comic during the afternoons or evening. Can't tell ya why. I just loose all my energy and motivation by that point.
5 days ago, 2:08 PM #16
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I really don't worry too much about update times. I've tried a few over the years, and never really noticed a difference. I usually update around 3PM GMT, since that's when I go on tea break at work, so I get a little chance to get something small like that done. Thing is, when it's 3PM for me, it'll be morning for someone else and the middle of the night for others. You can never really pick a time that'll increase your chances of being seen by everyone. Are there times that would expose your comic to the most possible people? Sure. It's cool that you've found something that seems to be doing some good. But I don't believe the difference is that big.
5 days ago, 2:36 PM #17
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
I'm new to this, but it seems like update times mostly impact people who don't subscribe. I notice that the rate of subscriptions seems to be low compared to the number of visitors, but I don't know exactly how to interpret this. Are non-subscribers looking once and are then replace by new non-subscribers? Or are the same non-subscribers coming back repeatedly? Some of both, I would imagine, but I would guess that update times affect new viewers the most, return-non-subscribers somewhat, and subscribers pretty much not at all. I'd say that the more established a comic is, the less the update time is likely to matter over the span of a few weeks.
"Gots To Advertise", 5 days ago, 4:21 PM #18
UnitMComics

Registration date: 22nd Dec 2018
Early morning seems like a practical time, if only to fit in all the requisite advertising that comes with producing a webcomic.
5 days ago, 4:25 PM #19
MK_Wizard

Morning was definitely a winner for me.