Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - In colour or b&w ?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > In colour or b&w ?
Pages: [1]

"In colour or b&w ?", 9 days ago, 11:28 PM #1
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
OK! So I wanted to ask.
I can see a lot of comics made in colour/half coloured. I use to do Babylon in colour for some time... But then, I don't know what happened that I stoped. Some pages are done in colour but most of it is black and white.
Now, I'm also doing RE:Eclipse, which is also black and white, BUT , my aliens are so colourful, it is a shame to not showing that to other people :/
I made already 10 chapters, but only 5 is online (6th on its way). I got time to try to make some chapters in colour. From chapter 9 I made some pages in colour, could you see and tell me, should I make it in colour or leave it black and white?

<ps. Those pages didn't show up online yet so I needed to cover some dialogs>

FLAT COLOURED (didn't finish them yet):

FULL COLOURED:

BLACK AND WHITE:
9 days ago, 11:35 PM #2
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I'd say your full color is a lot stronger than your flats, but that's A Lot of work.

What I'd say is maybe do Black and White with full color pages at certain points? That way, you can focus on speed, and get to show off your world on title pages or chapter intros
9 days ago, 11:43 PM #3
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
I thought about that, but wasn't sure :/
Thanks for advice :> !
9 days ago, 11:44 PM #4
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I think Swamp's advice was the best.
8 days ago, 12:18 AM #5
TanteiSakana
Registration date: 29th Dec 2009
Of the available options, I think the full colored version looks the best, but that the extra depth the shading gives the pictures, not the colors, is what makes the difference.

If you try doing shading like that in the black and white version, that might look good and still save time.
8 days ago, 12:25 AM #6
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
princess_lom:OK! So I wanted to ask.
I can see a lot of comics made in colour/half coloured. I use to do Babylon in colour for some time... But then, I don't know what happened that I stoped. Some pages are done in colour but most of it is black and white.
Now, I'm also doing RE:Eclipse, which is also black and white, BUT , my aliens are so colourful, it is a shame to not showing that to other people :/
I made already 10 chapters, but only 5 is online (6th on its way). I got time to try to make some chapters in colour. From chapter 9 I made some pages in colour, could you see and tell me, should I make it in colour or leave it black and white?

<ps. Those pages didn't show up online yet so I needed to cover some dialogs>

FLAT COLOURED (didn't finish them yet):

FULL COLOURED:

BLACK AND WHITE:

My device can't load the pictures, but: Full Colored! The reason is... people will complain if it's B&W, even if it's SUPPOSE to be!

(Personally, I like color too... But have a thing for B&W: it looks cooler than Full color in different ways!)

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
8 days ago, 12:48 AM #7
Matthew Young

Registration date: 4th Feb 2019
Well, coloring is hard. And it eats up a lot of time while making a comic.
I would say, only do full color per page if the comic is on the shorter side, otherwise you'd probably be better off only coloring the pages you really want colored.
Your art style is appealing, so it'll look good even in black and white.
8 days ago, 12:52 AM #8
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I understand the struggle myself because as I am learning new techniques, I see it is taking more time to finish a page.
8 days ago, 2:20 PM #9
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
swamp:What I'd say is maybe do Black and White with full color pages at certain points? That way, you can focus on speed, and get to show off your world on title pages or chapter intros

This ^, or another option is to do a strategic mix of B&W and color even within the same panels. Now-defunct-but-still-wonderful No Rest for The Wicked (link goes to an example page) was primarily B&W (well, grayscale) and yet colored Red's cloak red, separating her from the rest of the characters. Maybe your colorful aliens could be made all the more "alien" by being in color when all else (including the rest of the characters) is B&W.

CrosEL:My device can't load the pictures, but: Full Colored! The reason is... people will complain if it's B&W, even if it's SUPPOSE to be!

(Personally, I like color too... But have a thing for B&W: it looks cooler than Full color in different ways!)

I have been pleasantly surprised by people's responses to B&W. After doing color for years, I opted to do a B&W chapter for no reason other than I, too, have a real fondness for B&W. I expected complaints. The one comment about it was somebody updating the comic's TV Tropes page to say that "the art had gone B&W, but is lovely as ever." That was a most pleasant surprise!

So, dare to experiment with color styles... even ones you initially might guess to be unpopular choices. Just as there may always be someone who dislikes it, there may be someone who likes it.
"In colour or b&w ?", 8 days ago, 4:37 PM #10
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
It’s all good. I’ve never heard anyone complain about my black & white comix, but the quality of my color is terrible. :-/ I still need to work on that. Your color work looks great, but as a B&W man, I can appreciate your work with various shades of screens.

— Rick Rudge
8 days ago, 6:13 PM #11
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I'm going black and white for my next comic. (Well, greyscale) color just eats up too much time for me. They said, genre matters, and I might not make that choice if I was working in another genre.

I think the biggest concern with black and white is loss of clarity, but I think you'll be fine as long as you go easy on the screentones