Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Tonight's Attacks

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Tonight's Attacks
Pages: [1] [2]

"Tonight's Attacks", 5 days ago, 4:17 AM #1
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
If you don't know, two New Zealand Mosques in Christchurch were attacked tonight by an armed shooter.

In the wake of tragedy, the best we can do is focus on what we can help with. Being a non-Muslim American, I don't know the best places to donate, and would love it if anybody can supply links for anyone interested in giving money.
Here's the New Zealand Red Cross

And even us broke artists can stand against misinformation and Islamaphobia when we see it. If you have a local Muslim community, consider attending events and meeting new people. I am lucky enough to work with a number of Muslims at my job, including some great fellow nerds, and I wish more people got to know the humans, not the stereotypes.

Also, these attacks were livestreamed. Please be careful on social media. And please be respectful of the victims and families and consider not spreading the shooter's footage.

My heart goes out to every New Zealander and Muslim who is feeling a little more afraid tonight. Kia kaha.
5 days ago, 5:04 AM #2
keltyzoid!
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
the act itself is repugnant enough, but the fact that the shooter carried it out while shouting memes and "subscribe to PewDiePie", just. i'm honestly speechless. i can't imagine what the families are going through.

fucking insane.
5 days ago, 6:44 AM #3
J-son

Registration date: 8th Nov 2017
I really hope the image board I will not name gets shut down for this. Fuck every single person that's ever posted on there.
5 days ago, 7:09 AM #4
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Obviously a deranged idiot. Unfortunately, we'll never be 'short' of them .

So sad for those involved . Such a waste .
5 days ago, 7:21 AM #5
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
I'm not sure of any other places to donate. Maybe once things become safer the mosques will have their own donations set up.
5 days ago, 7:46 AM #6
Rulerbrain
swears it's 7 inches
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
I'm not sure of any other places to donate. Maybe once things become safer the mosques will have their own donations set up.

Most mosques already do for maintenance n stuff, they have boxes set outside for that. Some have their own sites too though I don't know if these two have any
5 days ago, 8:07 AM #7
I-ninja
Can run and hide
Registration date: 19th Nov 2012
J-son:I really hope the image board I will not name gets shut down for this. Fuck every single person that's ever posted on there.

Don't make sweeping generalizations and about things you don't understand and was told is bad that's a dangerous way to think.

I have read this man's manifesto, I'm not going to share it because i'm not, I only read these to protect the people around me because more often then not there is a repeated theme and I think it's impotent to know the real story before it gets twisted. This man was not crazy, not mentally ill or anything, this was a planed attack from a white supremacist who believed in "the great replacement" seeing these people as invaders and used terrorist attacks in Europe to fuel his hatred enough to actually act on his views in such an extreme manor.

Don't direct your hate at nothing else, his only real influence was "The Great replacement" theory

These are the websites of the mosques that where attacked, donate to them directly.
http://www.lict.co.nz/web/index.php
http://www.macnz.org/
5 days ago, 8:24 AM #8
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
I-ninja:Don't make sweeping generalizations and about things you don't understand and was told is bad that's a dangerous way to think.

I have read this man's manifesto, I'm not going to share it because i'm not, I only read these to protect the people around me because more often then not there is a repeated theme and I think it's impotent to know the real story before it gets twisted. This man was not crazy, not mentally ill or anything, this was a planed attack from a white supremacist who believed in "the great replacement" seeing these people as invaders and used terrorist attacks in Europe to fuel his hatred enough to actually act on his views in such an extreme manor.

Don't direct your hate at nothing else, his only real influence was "The Great replacement" theory

These are the websites of the mosques that where attacked, donate to them directly.
http://www.lict.co.nz/web/index.php
http://www.macnz.org/

Dang skimmed his manifesto and its bat. I’d still say he’s nuts even if it was planned, and unfortunately its the same tired nonsense line of thought for the justification for it. what really was unnerving about the manifesto was that it was written in this bad rosey poem kind of way. R.I.P to the victims , unnecessary tradgedy.
5 days ago, 9:21 AM #9
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
According to their PM and police force, the attackers were extreme right wing terrorists, which I assumed as soon as I heard it took place in a mosque. This also seems coordinated since it occurred in 2 mosques and multiple people were involved.

This attack sounds bad enough for the United States, but gun ownership is relatively low in New Zealand so this feels more comparable with the 2017 Las Vegas strip shooting where a couple of hundred died.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
5 days ago, 10:40 AM #10
Lightfoot

Registration date: 25th Mar 2010
RJDG14:gun ownership is relatively low in New Zealand

Based on what I read, you have to get a license to buy a gun there, and have to have a good reason to want one-- and self-defense is not an acceptable reason. You also have to go through long background and psychological tests (and maybe some other things I've forgotten). (If I remember correctly,) Wikipedia estimates about only 250,000 out of almost 5 million have gun licenses (and that number probably includes military, police, bodyguards, and security guards maybe).

I was watching some of the local news there, and they were almost doubting any normal person being able to get a gun at all legally.

5 days ago, 11:34 AM #11
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
I'd be shocked if even a security guard could have one. A regular night watchman or security at a hotel wouldn't be allowed a gun here in Aus and NZ is probably stricter.
5 days ago, 11:50 AM #12
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
Well, a lot of things wend down while I slept.

This does remind me of the mass shooting in Norway, few years back. I'm clearly not the only person who thinks that because the Prime Minister of Norway has sent out a statement about it. Lone Wolf Gunmen are dangerous, in that it's hard to predict them without some all knowing big brother surveillance on everyone, which we also don't want.

Every once in a while, I get worried that stuff like this might happen where I live. Moments like these do not help.
keltyzoid!:"subscribe to PewDiePie"

Jesus. I was certain that couldn't be true but he honestly did say that.
5 days ago, 12:27 PM #13
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I will never understand how people can be this way to other people.
5 days ago, 12:54 PM #14
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
Paranoia and hatred can do nasty stuff to people's minds.

In some ways, these white supremacists attacks are a response to the Islamist terror attacks and those attacks were response of people who had endured a lifetime of military conflicts. You see people that you care for or, at very least, identify with get hurt and you can't help but feel anger for the injustice done to them.

Nationalism or Religious radicalism is just the framing device that shapes the manifestos. Regardless if the people are shouting "Allah Akbar" or "White Power," hatred begets hatred.

Honestly though, the real danger here is how easy it is to isolate yourself in whatever messaging board or forum, that happens to agree the most to your current world views. Nobody likes to discuss things anymore, just agree, and anyone who disagrees is either mentally retarded or insane. In such environment, you're almost inevitably going to be radicalized.
5 days ago, 1:18 PM #15
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It just breaks my heart so much... I mean, no faith on Earth condones hate or harm. And disagreeing or having a different view is human. Sometimes, there is no right or wrong namely when it comes to what faith you believe in. Just different and personal.
5 days ago, 1:48 PM #16
BeeMKay

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2017
Senseless, useless deaths, lives and dreams and hopes that got destroyed in the blink of an eye. Preciousness that can't be brought back.

Vile murders that will just bring out more hate and violence.

It's bad/hard enough to lose loved ones through accidents or natural causes... My heart goes out to those who lost their loved ones in the attack... and the survivors of the countless other terror attacks that happen every day.
5 days ago, 6:16 PM #17
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
How to support NZ Muslim communities

The New Zealand Islamic Information Centre (NZIIC) has set up a crowdfunding campaign on Launchgood with all funds raised distributed to the victims and families affected by the Christchurch attack. All proceeds will go towards helping with their immediate, short-term needs. “No amount of money will bring back their loved ones, but we do hope to lessen their burden in some way,” says NZIIC.
5 days ago, 9:00 PM #18
Red Jack

Registration date: 1st Mar 2017
The whole incident is messed up and it sent me down a rabbit hole all morning of reading about other recent atrocities based on the things the man had written on his weapons. There were other recent mass killings that happened I didn't even know about.
Goes to show how frequently it has been happening lately. Honestly lost count.
Revenge breeds more revenge and thus, the cycle of violence will continue.
4 days ago, 2:00 AM #19
Fishy
Smoocher
Registration date: 24th Dec 2011
As a White person who is from and lives in Christchurch all I can say is while these were extremists - we as a culture have allowed them to feel safe and free to express and action their views.

People on Facebook keep changing their profile pictures, adding frames saying "this isn't us" it is us!! We encouraged it by not discouraging it. Through not calling out or acknowledging both blatant and causal racism/xenophobia/islamophobia/etc.

Every year my University has this thing called the Undie/Roundie 500. People dress up and deck out cars and drive as part of an Ensoc (engineering club) event. Every year there are horrible horrible cars and costumes.

See in the spoiler for some photos from the event

While white NZ might be able to trick itself into thinking they are not part of a larger problem, they are. People are very good at deflecting blame, saying things like "that bloody Australian" (as reports say the main shooter was an Australian who moved here), instead of recognising how their actions foster an environment where these horrific ideals thrive!!

We NEED to be better.

Also our Mayor has issued a statement saying she wasn't aware of white supremacist groups in our city... And like... Are you honestly blind. They are not quiet about it.

I am very angry and frustrated and crushed and upset. "How could this happen to our city", "I thought we were safe from it here" - Pakeha New Zealander's ... You need to open you eyes. You need to listen to the communities that are suffering and stop with your shallow Facebook activism/attention seeking posts. The only part that is about you is that YOU are part of the problem. Get real.

Merged Doublepost:

Also I'm very mad that people kept sharing Ben Shapiro's tweet about it. He shouldn't be given a voice here.

Also also, I am super amazed and humbled by the amount the give a little and launch pages have raised for the families over the last 24 hours.

Here's the give a little link as well link

Also halal food drives have been collecting as well in the city.
4 days ago, 2:06 AM #20
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Those cars and costumes are pretty dodgy.