I have the same problem as some others. I have noticed over the last few days my visits keep accumulating as usual, and then they are added into the total number of pages viewed Then a few hours later, the number of pages viewed goes way down. Yesterday it went down over 300. I had over 310,000 visitors a few days ago, and now I am at 309,738. In that time I have had 100's of visits. Doesn't add up. Thanks.
I figured it out now, it's not actually counting them wrong, it's just not displaying them accurately due to caching.
It's a bit hard to explain why this happens but if you're interested in the technical details, read onwards
So your webcomic has a "visitors" and a "hits" counter in the database. However, because updating this counter every time someone visits your webcomic would slow down the database too much, there's a separate table in the database that tracks the visitor counters for that day (that way also avoiding keeping track of who has already visisted that day and should not count as a new visitor the second time they visit) - when you visit a webcomic's comic profile, it actually gets the count of daily visitors and adds it to the total webcomic count saved in the database - which gets updated only once a day.
However, many parts of the site also use a "cache" for webcomic data, which basically boils down to a file with the webcomic's database entry, so it won't have to be loaded again from the database, to keep things relatively lean. When your webcomics daily stats get added, but your webcomic cache has not been cleared again yet, on the comic profile it will have an old number for your total stats, and won't find the daily stats in the database anymore, thus not adding them to the old total number, thus displaying a lower number than before.
If you check the number in your webcomic statistics in webcomic management instead, it should always be accurate
okay, I figured it out for real this time (it was reported to me as still not working here, didn't even realize it was in the wrong thread apparently)
Anyway so it still wasn't working right. What I posted above is actually true and will lead to very small discrepancies that are short in nature, but the actual problem was a bit more severe. Don't worry though, no visitor data was lost, just turns out that the cron job in charge of moving it to the right place (as explained in my previous post) was not running anymore (really all cron jobs stopped running) thus causing some of the older visit times to just not be counted anymore. this would also mean that around midnight your visitors would decrease (because a new visitor counter row for that day was being created, causing an older one for a whole day that hasn't only just started not to be loaded as a result), and in general your visitor stats just wouldn't go up by much.
Anyway, all rows are now moved and the tallies are up to date again, sorry for the trouble.