Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Its Time for the Anime Thread

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Its Time for the Anime Thread
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Its Time for the Anime Thread", 8 days ago, 1:43 AM #1
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
Yes the anime thread because this season is trash and having nothing to watch is criminal! I'm actually really curious how many people watch anime here and if you have any good shows to recommend and why (without any spoilers of course). Maybe someone scrolling by will see this thread and pick up one of these shows! Maybe I'm just searching for people to talk to about anime! If you've never watched anime I'd be happy to hook you up with an introductory choice if you tell me what genres you like. Without further ado, please allow me to gush about some good food.

To start, try "Carole and Tuesday", it comes out this season and looks promising.

Last season I really enjoyed "The Promised Neverland", so much so that I caught up to the manga! Its a thriller anime with amazing shot choreography and I recommend you watch it blind. Its about a group of orphans and their mysterious house. Each episode will have you strategizing alongside the characters and questioning everything you know. If that doesn't sound neat then just watch the opening song and jam out dude, its fire.

I also watched season 2 of "Mob Psycho 100" Its one of my favorite series now, bringing a breath of fresh air to the shonen genre with its unorthodox art style/animation and moral quandaries. Its about a young boy with incredible psychic powers trying to become someone he can say is a good person. I can't rave enough about the animation, you'll have to see it for yourself, its the best I've ever seen in any anime and I've watched a ton of anime.

For those who like a darker tale, there's "Happy Sugar Life" I do think this one you need some anime experience to get everything because it turns tropes on its head and leaves you questioning why you decided to watch these mental characters do anything at all. Its about a young girl who's willing to do anything to protect her happy little life. I'm recommending it because I don't hear enough people talking about it, its definitely not for everyone.

Last one I'll recommend for now is "A Place Further than the Universe" This one is possibly the best original animation from last year because of its overall strengths. Its truly an uplifting story about achieving what seems to be impossible. You might even scoff at the very premise so I won't tell you! Decide for yourself if its impossible! Every aspect of it is on point and I can't imagine you leaving it without feeling something bright and hopeful in your heart. Its setting is meant to be realistic so you can imagine all of the stunning imagery and fluid animation.

Of course all of these shows have amazing character work or I wouldn't even bother! And they are all fairly recent releases.

Disclaimer: Do not talk to me about bnha unless you want me to go sicko mode in this thread because I love that show a worrying amount.
8 days ago, 2:06 AM #2
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
The most modern anime I've seen are My Hero Academia and haikyu! Both very good.

I want to see the ancient magus bride and made in abyss but there's just not enough hours in the day anymore.

Last week I got triage X and saw one episode. It looks ridiculous. Might be good, probably not going anywhere.

There's a netflix one called Ico Incarnation which is pretty descent...but it's hard to reccomend becuse I'm up to the last episode...it might turn to mush.

Really nothing is surpassing the big three. Eva, Berserk and Death note.
8 days ago, 2:30 AM #3
Dyohna

The Letter M:

Waiting on season 4 of boku no hero and haikyuu is painful lol they're both big favorites

Oh man if you like death note, the promised neverland is right up your alley, its got a pretty high stakes mystery element. And Made in Abyss is worth every second of your time, really interesting and creative stuff in there! And I've heard of ancient magus bride, I'll have to look it up for real some time
8 days ago, 2:46 AM #4
DOUBLE R

Registration date: 28th May 2017
For me the anime ends many years ago,at least the true good anime,in these days the japanese animation is so plain and vain and i'm afraid,very dumb,i don't want to offend to anyone it's only my opinion but for truly and exciting ''anime''see all the great classics and vintage series{'60s till the late '90s}
8 days ago, 2:58 AM #5
The Letter M
It certainly got toned down since those exciting earlier days. Less booze, boobs and blood.
8 days ago, 2:58 AM #6
Dyohna

DOUBLE R:

You've just been looking in the wrong places honestly, I get very tired of samesy anime as well but I'm always looking. The ones I mentioned for example are all a bit alternative in their presentation especially Mob Psycho which might give you the old anime feel you're looking for as well as a show called "MegaloBox" which is a tribute to older style of anime.

Merged Doublepost:

The Letter M:It certainly got toned down since those exciting earlier days. Less booze, boobs and blood.

XD Edgy and alternative? Watch Devilman: Crybaby, its way out there
Edit: You know what I'll elaborate cause this show is a crazy ride down don't let your kids watch this street. Man I shouldn't have even watched it, I'm still traumatized. Its very campy in that it just doesnt censor itself at all and has all the blood/sex/violence that I will need for all my life while still being captivating. I couldn't take my eyes off that thing
8 days ago, 3:31 AM #7
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Dyohna:

XD Edgy and alternative? Watch Devilman: Crybaby, its way out there
Edit: You know what I'll elaborate cause this show is a crazy ride down don't let your kids watch this street. Man I shouldn't have even watched it, I'm still traumatized. Its very campy in that it just doesnt censor itself at all and has all the blood/sex/violence that I will need for all my life while still being captivating. I couldn't take my eyes off that thing

I'm gonna be honest I watched Devilman: Crybaby (the new one) when it had just come out and.. I still think about it sometimes.
It's really really good and is really well written and I think about it a lot. I feel like I could write a dissertation on it.
the blood/sex/violence is a little shocking but if you're someone who can deal with that... I can't recommend it enough.

EDIT: oh yeah I'm really only just getting into anime so I don't have many recommendations. Will be watching this thread for some new ones to get into!
8 days ago, 4:02 AM #8
TheHiddenElephant
not a slice of pizza
Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
Most recent thing I've seen that's Anime was Gridman SSSS. It's good, but there are a few moments of explicit sexualization that are super-uncomfortable, especially given the characters' ages. There's also referential stuff; you'd need to have seen the original Gridman to understand the Hobo Kaiju Girl. However, it does give a blast of nostalgia that even hits me, and I've never seen Gridman. Plus, it has characters that take design cues from the Transformers Shattered Glass series and I love that the SSSS part is a reference to the Power Rangers-Styled version of the show, Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

And yea, I've seen Devilman Crybaby. I'm a Devilman Fan, I'll admit it. It's good, it has pacing issues that appear to be hard-wired into the story's code, but it's good. It also has so much sexuality and violence. Like, holy crap.
8 days ago, 4:26 AM #9
The Letter M
I saw a bit of Devilman crybaby. It's good but the origin story was better told in the 60's one (or maybe 70's) I don't know. It's probably just nostalgia talking since I watched devilman as a giddy 12 year old in the 90's and felt like I'd gotten away with a bank robbery.

To my mind anime doesn't need to be edgy but when modern anime tries it just can't manage to do it. Like Tokyo Ghoul, what the shit is that?
8 days ago, 4:43 AM #10
Dyohna

The Letter M:

You should continue Devilman, theres surprises around every corner and they're all wild
Oh gosh, don't talk to me about Tokyo Ghoul, it had a lot of potential but I couldn't go any further after white hair mode. One of my friends was a big fan of the manga and was frustrated it didn't follow the plot line well enough. They completely diverged from it in season 2 as well!
8 days ago, 4:57 AM #11
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
I watched In This Corner of the World this year, it was slow but interesting. I also watched Lu Over the Wall, which is made by the same people who made Devilman Crybaby (which I do NOT wanna watch) and it’s about a depressed but musically talented boy who meets a mermaid which ends up bringing chaos to the boring and teeny town. That’s a pretty lame summary come to think of it but I quite liked it, it was very unique and adorable, with animation that isn’t afraid to be really weird and abstract sometimes.

I recently finished One Punch Man season 1, friggin loved it. Idk about season 2 yet but some people are saying it’s not bad.

I recommend Haikyuu if you like dramas with a bit of an action-y feel.

does miraculous ladybug count

I like Figure 17, which is older and fairly slow with repetitive music, but I think the characters, emotion, and the fight scenes that wrap up almost every episode make up for it. Scifi baby.

I watched all of the original Kino’s Journey, which can be depressing and odd, but also very very compelling and even beautiful at times. Watch this if you ask a lot of existential questions and think about purpose and stuff.

Ikm falling asleep, but I’ll return one day to talk about my favourite anime movies
8 days ago, 5:02 AM #12
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
I'm really more of a manga reader these days (annoying voices and samey teeny bopper characters doesn't do it for me), so most of my anime enthusiasm is kinda stuck back in the older late 90's era with the darker or more risk taking stuff. I'm looking forward to some opportunity to see season 2 of One Punch Man, but I heard the animation quality is less than the first? I think the last anime that I enjoyed watching was quite a while ago, which would be Ergo Proxy, and for a more comedic tone, The Devil is a Part Timer. Paranoia Agent was respectable, too. Beyond that, I guess I'll be waiting on season 3 of the Castlevania anime. Eh, I'm really kind of out of loops with most of the modern stuff in terms of knowing anything that would grab my attention. Not to be mean about it, but it's hard to sift through such a vast sea of forgettable titles.

Actually, my friend mentioned one caught his attention (we sometimes have similar tastes) but I haven't heard anyone else mention it. So, is anyone familiar with Children of the Whales? It sounded somewhat interesting.

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
8 days ago, 5:11 AM #13
Rulerbrain
swears it's 7 inches
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
Some recommends-

8 days ago, 5:11 AM #14
Dyohna

If you're on the fence about One Punch Man 2, please for the love of god, just read the manga. The manga is actually as beautiful, shot for shot, as the first season, even more so i'd say. I am in no way exaggerating about this, one look at a single page will floor you. You can watch it if you want cause its the same story but personally I can't look at a 240p picture after experiencing 1080pHQ

Edit: Its not just the graphics that are bad, the timing and impact of the show are completely off in season 2! There is no hype to be found if the punches aren't satisfying and the jokes don't land and theres CGI everything distracting you
8 days ago, 5:33 AM #15
The Letter M
Ah man, I tried to watch black lagoon but it had the cowboy beebop problem. "Is this shit going anywhere? "
8 days ago, 5:44 AM #16
Rulerbrain
swears it's 7 inches
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
Well, its definitely more a gangster of the week than main plot focused, but I think that works just fine for what its trying to be. And they were building up Rock's slow turn to being a bad guy pretty well

Too bad the manga's been in and outta long hiatus for years now :(
8 days ago, 6:53 AM #17
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
me, welcoming every anime thread with open arms:

i love psychological/drama genres with more shoujo art styles! i think my favorites are mostly from around 2010, mostly just for the art though - art is really important to me (i will rarely, if ever, watch an anime that doesn't look good); basically, art and characters come first, and I'm not usually smart enough to care about much else. lol

i lowkey sorted out my top 10 favorites a short while ago - i'm sure i'm forgetting something important + the order isn't perfect, but here they are!! (disclaimer: if any given anime has a cute boy in it i will probably forget all its flaws and i am sorry)

1. Black Butler (dark fantasy/thriller): I understand the stigma around it (i'll start with: no, it's not pedophilic nor yaoi, it just has/had one of the worst fanbases i've ever seen, right along with killing stalking which i also happen to like for non-horny reasons)
but it really is my favorite. The art is the most gorgeous imo, the aesthetic is so captivating and dark, the characters are lovable and the story is (usually kind of) great! It strayed a lot from the manga, and that sucks, but I haven't read the manga so I didn't personally mind. Season II is entirely filler, and a lot of people hate it - that's totally fair - but I just love the aesthetic (and alois holy shit he's exactly my type of character) sooo it's actually my favorite part of the whole series (not counting the terrible ending)

you can skip from halfway thru season I straight to Book of Circus, though - Book of Circus follows the manga and is just (ok hand emoji x99) ♡

2. Death Note (mystery/thriller): Probably not a lot I need to say since it's the most popular one on this list (except for maybe SAO but i have a lot to say about that mess) - the writing is tight and it makes you think hard! it may be a meme at this point but I really do love murder mysteries that throw you for a fuckin loop

3. Soul Eater (shounen): huge classic, and one of my first anime. Amazing characters, funny in places where it should be funny, and ridiculously stylish! I don't remember the story that well and it's another one I know strayed from the manga at some point (yet another manga I didn't read) but the fights are SO fun!!! I don't usually care for shounen battles but this really nailed it.

4. Gekkan Shoujo: Nozaki-kun (shoujo/comedy): The epitome of shoujo comedy imo, topping OHSHC. More super lovable characters (i'd die for mikorin wow), hilarious, adorable in both story and art - only 12 episodes so there's not a lot else to say, but it makes me so happy! The ending is pretty iconic even if horribly unsatisfying. (i love it)

5. Noragami (supernatural/maybe shounen): it's a little hard to describe exactly what I loved about this anime, especially since it's been a few years since I've watched it - but it's one of those anime I felt a really personal connection to. The protag is one of my favorites!! The story can be very emotional and deep while retaining everything that makes shounen fun.

6. Nichijou (slice of life/comedy): really unlike the type of anime I usually watch but it's just so funny!!! I could never say enough good things about it. It's the one anime I would recommend that everyone at least try. great animation with a comically simple art style, random and ridiculous but in a truly fun, wholesome and quirky way

7. Sword Art Online, Aincrad arc only (shounen/adventure): so yeah, this one is a hot mess. i'd love to pretend everything after the first 14 episodes doesn't exist! Even within those 14 episodes though, there are still major problems (mary sue protag, huge amounts of time were skipped so it feels like there could have been so much more). Nevertheless there's a reason it got so popular - i've rarely had an experience more fun than the first time i watched it!!! The whole idea is really captivating and I think it's exactly what a lot of us wanted from 10-15 years old. I'd still recommend it to people, but i severely understand the stigma lol

8. Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles (fantasy/adventure): I might have just loved it because Fai is one of my favorite fictional characters in existence (this was my first anime and he probably started my love for blond twinky boys) - but regardless, it is beautiful in both art and story, and I know many others love it. It got horribly dark all of a sudden near the end which freaked the hell out of child me (i should not have been watching at that age, but no one knew) - if I'd watched it for the first time today though, I'm sure it'd be perfect for me. (which is saying a lot because i usually don't like older anime)

worth noting though is that they didn't seem to be able to finish the whole ending - the really dark episodes are disjointed from the rest and seem to be near the end of the story, but it still doesn't reach the end, so yeah - i had to read the manga for the ending

9. Akatsuki no Yona (shoujo/adventure): I don't think I'd ever seen a shoujo adventure before (except maybe 07-Ghost) but here it is!! Lovable (and hot) characters with a great twist in the first episode, fun fantasy adventure. I don't care for Yona that much (i think she's a slight mary sue) but I know most people love her, and that's fair. The anime didn't get anything after the first season, but the manga has been ongoing and looks to be full of wild plot twists - haven't read it, but I get all the spoilers in my tumblr feed and it looks great lol (though it also looks like it may have just turned into battles and politics... idk)

10. Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefont (action): i don't have so many strong feelings about this one anymore, but it was another anime that I felt a personal connection to when I was watching it and for a year or two after. The art is so satisfying, it has some lovable characters, the world and the action are so fun!

honorable mentions: Zetsuen no Tempest (dark fantasy/mystery), Attack on Titan (adventure/horror), Tokyo Ghoul (thriller/horror), 07-Ghost (both shounen and shoujo somehow), One Punch Man (action/comedy - i haven't watched much of the anime but it seems to stick to the original webcomic which was legendary LMAO) Free! (sports - was reluctant to watch it but ended up liking it even though surprise, i don't think shirtless guys are hot)

not anime (though they did each get an anime, but don't bother) but if they were anime, they would be #1 and #2: Danganronpa (horror/mystery - by far my favorite fictional series), and Kagerou Project (does it even have a genre?? occult i guess)
both have the most legendary characters i've ever seen along with wild writing, though the art... varies?
either way, most people who love Kagerou Project love Danganronpa and vice versa, so if you like one you should check out the other!

this was quite long, but i haven't gotten to talk about anime in a long time and it's so freeing thank you! i'm very open to recommendations c:

EDIT: HOLY SHIT i forgot Durarara!!! It would be around #7 somewhere! I didn't like it so much near the end of the first season, and I never watched the second, but those first several episodes still earned it a high place on my list. ♡
8 days ago, 7:44 AM #18
TheVoidchildProject

Registration date: 4th Feb 2016
Guh, I've watched so much anime over the years that it's hard to recommend just one…

One of my first loves, Before I even knew they called it anime was a show called "Starzinger" (I Think it might've been called "Spacekeeters" in the US).

But this show is probably why I love anime to this day. So many Epic space battles with epic anime space music. The Swedish voice over was surprisingly effective (usually it burns my ears to listen to dubs). But the main draw was the feels. I'll still cry watching some of the more emotionally powerful episodes. Like what seems like every other medium, it was loosely based on Journey to the West. =D

More recent anime favourties:

Fate/Zero

I love cool female protagonists and unfortunatly, I don't feel like that's something that anime tend to do too well. But Saber from Fate/Zero is such a wonderful no-nonsense heroine. She's also a Knight with a heart to match. It's a prequel series to the Classic Fate/Stay Night, which is also good. But this one, hoo boy... Great action, drama and plot!

Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood)

No the "original" anime (boo hiss). But the follow-up that more closely followed the original manga. Most likely my all-time favourite. It has Everything that I look for in a show. And also probably the main inspiration for my own comic Voidchild. It's not afraid to go to some really dark places just as it's not afraid to also get out of that well sometimes to underscore Beautiful and/or silly character moments and developments.

Funny thing about FMA is, it's def not perfect. It even stumbles with it's pacing at Points, but it is so much about moments plus it comes together perfectly that even with what problems it has, it's damn-near perfect in my eyes.

---

Ah, I should probably stop with those three. Anime is so good sometimes that it's hard not to blabber, blabber on about it. XD

Now reading: Kordinar 25000
8 days ago, 7:58 AM #19
The Letter M
I never made it to the end of the original anime but FMA was really great at the start. I assume it stopped being good when they ran out of manga and had to make stuff up...buuut

Brotherhood started off by tryi g to recap way too fast. It was like the first 20 eps of the old anime were crushed into o e or two...so much exposition.
8 days ago, 8:24 AM #20
TheVoidchildProject

Registration date: 4th Feb 2016
Def one of the shows failings (though by no means anything insurmountable). On the flip side the original added in more stuff than was in the manga (meeting Barry the Butcher for instance). Neither one of them executed perfectly. And when I'm talking about some of the pacing problems of the story, I'm not even referring to the anime-confusion. More stuff to do within the narrative as a whole.

But that's also something that inspires and makes me more confident when I stumble in my own storytelling, that I can pick things up as I go and the positives as a whole can outweigh a few bumps along the way and end up a fantastic story! ^_^

Now reading: Kordinar 25000
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Its Time for the Anime Thread
Pages: [1] [2] [3]