Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Crying over your own writing

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Crying over your own writing
Pages: [1]

"Crying over your own writing", 4 days ago, 10:58 PM #1
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Is this a good thing or is it a sign that you're way too invested?
How much does your writing affect you, if at all?
Is there such a thing as being 'too invested' in your work?

I personally think it's a good thing, and I take the position of "someone has to care about what I'm doing" when it comes to the topic of being 'too invested'. I'm super curious where you all stand, though!
4 days ago, 11:01 PM #2
princess_lom

Registration date: 30th Jun 2013
I got few sceenes in my comic which made me cry, because its relations between children and parents and as a mother it can touch me a lot. So yes, I cried few times. It's not bad. It is good. That also mean that you put your whole heart in it!
Does affect me? Well... some scenes it's hard to do, because of feelings but it make your relationship with your characters and story more stronger :D
4 days ago, 11:20 PM #3
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
I don't cry reading my writing but I have cried when writing it because I speak the lines out loud and kinda act it out a bit to get it right (but I can also just cry at will so it's not much of a leap). Some scenes I'm specifically looking for the words that I can feel in my gut, y'know?

Though I think it can be kinda overkill, sometimes I'm watching a show I like or films and I wonder if the writers really care that much about their characters, especially for ones who produce lots of different stories. They can't really get that attached to their characters each time, that would eat up too much time and probably get in the way of coming up with new plots, right? If something is more about the setting or plot than the characters, I can see it getting in the way. And for a lot of films particularly, I don't have the time to care that much about the characters, so it doesn't make sense for the creators to care that deeply about them.

Then again, for longer term projects and certain genres it makes more sense for writers to care more about their characters because you want your readers/viewers to get more attached to them as well. If I want my readers to cry at something, why shouldn't it be something that also makes me cry? If my own writing makes me feel nothing it's probably gonna have a hard time making other people feel anything. This has been another vague line of thought brought to you by moth.

I guess I also think about if I'm too invested in my own characters a bit :')
3 days ago, 9:05 AM #4
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
I don't think it's a bad thing. Maybe... being too invested is possible if your own story is leaving you emotionally crippled? Like... to a much more extreme extent than crying (locking yourself in a room and refusing to eat for a week), but for all I know, maybe that's a sign of a genius piece of work being produced. >_>;

I can't remember a single occasion where my writing/drawing has made me cry. Even when drawing a sad scene or tense scene or whatever kind of scene, I usually just feel an excited hype. Is it cold to feel hyped and excited when drawing a sad scene??? lol. I just get really excited drawing dramatic scenes.

Okay, MAYBE there was the occasion that my eyes watered slightly from drawing a crying face? Like how artists involuntarily make the faces that they're drawing? I dunno, there's an empathetic sadness, but I feel too many mixed feelings of peace and joy to straight-up cry. Which is confusing considering how easy it is for movies to make me cry.
3 days ago, 9:13 AM #5
AK Illustrate

Registration date: 30th Jun 2012
I think it's a good thing!
I feel like... It's like finally being able to describe that feeling you were trying to portray, and finally empathizing with it. And if it was able to evoke a feeling in you in such a way, the person who is writing it, then there will definitely someone reading it who will feel those feelings so much stronger.

I think that is valuable!
3 days ago, 11:02 AM #6
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Well, I don't think you can be too invested in your own stuff, can you ? It means you care.

I've cried writing ; I've cried reading ; I've cried when it's rubbish too ! B-)
At least in electronic media the ink doesn't run...
3 days ago, 11:11 AM #7
Leafa
noticed 🐈
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
I got a bit tearful scripting the end of The Art of Monsters and the end of Earth in a Pocket.

Past a certain point I've read and reread and edited and thumbnailed and chopped and changed so much that it doesn't have that impact on me anymore, but I hope it will for my readers who are looking at it fresh.
3 days ago, 11:19 AM #8
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
If I were writting something sad I'd curl my lips and rub my hands together like a gosh darn super villian and hope others are brought to tears. I can't say my own work has left me with such big emotions. Honestly I'm impressed that you could invoke something like that within yourself with your own work! Its truly a sign of dedication and investment in the things you're putting out in the world which is quite commendable! Finding that kind of passion in this life should be celebrated I think!
3 days ago, 12:07 PM #9
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
I did tear up a couple of times when I was thinking about the end of the comic and some sad scenes towards the end. These scenes weren't scripted, but they are live in my head as if they were, ha.
It's like I was watching the show, or something.
3 days ago, 12:26 PM #10
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
deo101:Is this a good thing or is it a sign that you're way too invested?
How much does your writing affect you, if at all?
Is there such a thing as being 'too invested' in your work?

I personally think it's a good thing, and I take the position of "someone has to care about what I'm doing" when it comes to the topic of being 'too invested'. I'm super curious where you all stand, though!

I care about my work, but my characters I don't particularly feel anything towards them.

Awful things are gonna happen to them. Some pals I have shown my scripts to say that I am a bit heartless.
3 days ago, 1:20 PM #11
GabbyGood
will die on Dec 14th 2021, 3:25 PM
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
I cry about my characters every day.

But no, drawing the end of this chapter was very hard and I did cry. It was a combo of the scene and the playlist I was listening to. It's the only scene to make me really emotional however.

I'm super invested in my story/work which can be a double edged sword cuz boy do I sure place my value and self worth on this shit. But I think it shows over to my readers, or at least I hope it does. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing unless you're a shitty writer and can't get past yourself and end up writing a self indulgent fanfic for yourself rather than a story.

Mightguy15:care about my work, but my characters I don't particularly feel anything towards them.

Awful things are gonna happen to them. Some pals I have shown my scripts to say that I am a bit heartless.

I have a lot of awful things happening to my OCs but I love em deeply. It can be interchangeable. Although my friends look at me oddly and wonder if I do actually love them with the direction I'm going.