Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Songs of your generation that make you nostalgic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Songs of your generation that make you nostalgic?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Songs of your generation that make you nostalgic?", 4th May 2019, 12:14 AM #1
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
I want to make a video about songs from the past that embody the spirit of the generation they were made. My question is, what do you feel those songs are. The more varied the answer the better!

I want this video to give people feels, so what the song means to you would be vastly appreciated as well.

I'm a 90's dude, millennial too, lol. My choice would probabaly somthing by either indie band plasticbagfacemask or biggie smalls or Tupac. Maybe the offspring too!
4th May 2019, 12:18 AM #2
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017

The lyrics... but yes.

edit: It is very, very, very 90's.
4th May 2019, 12:24 AM #3
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
A lot of Avril Levigne reminds me of my childhood, especially Sk8r Boi. Also Move Your Feet by Junior Senior. Both these songs were used a lot in the TV I watched back then, and I'd get up extra early sometimes just to watch those shows. As far as I know, those shows are gone now, but I still look back with fondness.

Then there are other songs. The Cha Cha Slide, Macarena and Cotton Eye Joe were always played at school discos. Caramelldansen, Dragostea Din Tei and Every time We Touch give me nostalgia for the earlier internet, with its crude but cute animations and slideshow montages. I miss when those used to be more commonplace. I felt I had much more of a personal connection to youtube back then.

Then for some reason there's Love Really Hurts Without You, which is not of my generation at all, yet somehow I get intense nostalgia for family weddings every time I hear it.
4th May 2019, 1:31 AM #4
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I REALLY wanna contribute, but... Growing up in a Religious in a Religious Family kills alot chances at knowing about/liking media, so...

I loved hearing the Ground Theme from: Super Mario 64 and Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64, and the best music ever is... Bowser's Themes from SM64 and Paper Mario! Both were so epic for their games!

Um... does the latter count? It was in 2000 right? It might be a bit late...

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
4th May 2019, 3:33 AM #5
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Growing up I didn't listen to any mainstream music, mtv, radio etc so the songs that make me feel nostalgic are anime theme tunes and power metal.
4th May 2019, 3:38 AM #6
Bandkanon

Registration date: 25th Feb 2011
I lived my whole childhood throughout the 90's but I was born in '88 with tastes heavily influenced by my dad's interests, so I qualify as a mix of the two so far as I'm concerned. That said, my image of the 80's is kind of varied-- We have Sammy Hagar's "Heavy Metal", featured in Heavy Metal and featuring the uh... Heavy Metal scene... Then we have Madonna with her most well known "Like A Virgin" for the more mainstream pop... Then, in the steadily reviving Synth Pop scene, there's A-ha with "Take on Me".

Most specifically though, I think what really defines the 80's for me is...
the soundtrack to Bladerunner.

As for the 90's, there's even more variation that I can think of. Depeche Mode was continuing the Synth Pop genre with songs like "Personal Jesus" and "Enjoy the Silence" while Marilyn Manson shook the foundations of pop culture with "Beautiful People" and the like... And meanwhile Prince and Michael Jackson were dominating the mainstream scene. Not that they hadn't been there before, but they were REALLY big in the 90's.

But hey, does anyone remember the Spice Girls? ...No?
4th May 2019, 3:45 AM #7
socksofargyle

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
JammyTheBirb:A lot of Avril Levigne reminds me of my childhood, especially Sk8r Boi. Also Move Your Feet by Junior Senior. Both these songs were used a lot in the TV I watched back then, and I'd get up extra early sometimes just to watch those shows. As far as I know, those shows are gone now, but I still look back with fondness.

Then there are other songs. The Cha Cha Slide, Macarena and Cotton Eye Joe were always played at school discos. Caramelldansen, Dragostea Din Tei and Every time We Touch give me nostalgia for the earlier internet, with its crude but cute animations and slideshow montages.

YOOO same lmao. (also Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny.)

For me tho, Kryptonite by 3 doors down. and Headstrong by Trapt. (i was an edgy like, 6-8 year old?) but i distinctly remember seeing an ad/credits to Danny Phantom where Kryptonite was playing over it at a rec center birthday party once? lol

that and blu cantrel's Hit 'Em Up Style for no reason other than it was my JAM.

MCR is also basically iconic for anyone my age, but im not sure about good nostalgia besides the moment you heard the first note of black parade for the first time. haha
4th May 2019, 4:41 AM #8
TheHiddenElephant
not a slice of pizza
Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
I remember... the Numa Numa song... the damned Numa Numa song. It has got to be one of the first memes of the Internet.
4th May 2019, 4:46 AM #9
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
That song is in the rotation in my car stereo.

If you want to see the first few video memes you're looking at stuff like We Drink Ritalin and French Erotic Film.

The originals are probably gone but they will have been moved to youtube. They didn't get called memes back then. I think the term was FanEmutations.
4th May 2019, 4:55 AM #10
socksofargyle

Registration date: 10th Sep 2013
TheHiddenElephant:I remember... the Numa Numa song... the damned Numa Numa song. It has got to be one of the first memes of the Internet.

that would be Dragostea Din Tei (by O-Zone), haha
4th May 2019, 6:07 AM #11
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
I was born in mid 90' so my generation music is from late 2000, but honestly I never liked it. My thing is early 70' hard rock like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple (I saw them live and after 45 years of doing that they were still burning with passion), AC/DC, and Def Leppad (one of the reasons is because my father stole a bunch of beer from them when he was young), and 80' metal such as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Anthrax and Acid Drinkers.
4th May 2019, 8:04 AM #12
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Of course goin' through dark ages of my puberty (2005-2010) I listened to typical nu-metal/alternative rock. BFMV, MCU, FOB, Papa Roach, etc.

Man, was that so edgy it hurts...
4th May 2019, 8:34 AM #13
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
Wow! Thanks thread for making me feel old. My nostalgia music is new wave.
4th May 2019, 10:22 AM #14
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
No particular songs, but I grew up in the 90's with bands like Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Aqua, Spice Girls, NSYNC, Boyzone, Ace of Base and many other (local) bands that were big at the time and now forgotten....
4th May 2019, 11:14 AM #15
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
I still remember when this came out and was making waves.

4th May 2019, 12:30 PM #16
CiciEnixa

Registration date: 4th Jun 2014
Apparently my taste in some music has not changed for the past 10+ years (my sis is still surprised that I have stayed strong with Linkin Park and that "apparently it WASN'T a phase" XD) But this thread reminds me of two particular periods.

During the time of MCR, P!nk, Avril Lavigne, and FOB, there is that time during highschool when we sing/scream "ONE NIGHT STAAAAND!" whenever Thnks Fr Th Mmrs came on and there was always that discussion on why the singer suddenly wanted to talk about his night stand for that one line while the rest was screaming the rest of the lyrics in the sidelines. (Because why would we ever want to Google what a "one night stand" actually was XD) And gonna be honest, that memory comes up whenever I either hear Thnks Fr Th Mmrs OR whenever I see a damn night stand.

The other period is when I was much younger and my dad was getting us to listen to more of his and my mom's generation of music. He bought a microphone and a karaoke CD for us and all it had were songs we never heard of before that day and the only ones we really learned to sing were Hotel California, Terminal, Temple of the King, 25 Minutes and Operator. I guess those are nostalgic for me because "annoying our elderly neighbors with our off-key singing" was our family bonding time.
4th May 2019, 3:26 PM #17
junoro
yesterday, you said junoro
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
I didn't listen to the radio much, but some songs like 'I've got a feeling' played enough in stores and at my school that hearing them takes me back to those days. Avril Lavigne was an artist whose music I never listened to myself, but I absorbed it through osmosis from my friends singing her music, so she definitely counts.

Oh that reminds me, HILLARY DUFF. Anyone remember Lizzie Mcguire?? Let the raaaaain fall down

And also 'Ra Ra Rasputin' will always take me to my high school history class. That song is still fun to listen to.
4th May 2019, 9:09 PM #18
KarToon12

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2012
Pretty much any cartoon theme songs from the 90s makes the nostalgia bubble up inside me. ^^
4th May 2019, 9:23 PM #19
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
While I was only born in 2000 I've never really liked most of the music that I would consider "of my generation". I've always loved raw sounding guitar based music and the guitar has gone out of fashion in the past decade or so, as well as production having become a lot more digital/less raw sounding towards the end of the 1990s. My favourite period would be about 1978 when post punk came along through to about 1996. There are some bands from the 1980s such as Pixies and Husker Du whose music sounds quite nostalgic while at the same time holding up very well for their age, as they were both a major influence on a lot of bands from the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Modern music is kind of dull and lifeless sounding by comparison. I've found that I can usually easily distinguish between different instruments on a track predating circa-1997 (around the time Pro-Tools had become standard in most studios and Auto-Tune was first released) and pick out how it was engineered whereas on a lot of newer songs, particularly those recorded since the late 2000s, all the instruments kind of merge to a blur. I think this was because most studio equipment in the 1980s was limited to 16 or 32 multitrack channels whereas modern studio technology (Pro-Tools/Cubase/Audacity etc) allows for an unlimited number of channels.

The Loudness War may have also potentially affected the way newer music sounds, since while modern production techniques may technically be "better" than the reel to reel multitrack technology still used by most studios 30 years ago, the dynamic range tends to be lost through modern digital compression at the mastering stage, even though it results in the music sounding louder at a low volume. When buying a pre-c.1993 (about the time the Loudness War began) album on CD I also try where possible to find a secondhand copy of the 1980s release rather than a modern remaster as the dynamic range is generally better.

I've compared the 1989 CD edition of the first Nine Inch Nails album Pretty Hate Machine with the 2010 remaster, and found that on the opening to the first track Head Like A Hole I could hear certain beats that I was unable to hear to the same clarity on the remaster, which ironically contradicts what their frontman Trent Reznor said in an interview about the remaster. Older CDs tend to be punchier sounding too, even if the bass is perhaps marginally better on modern CDs.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
5th May 2019, 2:18 PM #20
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Eve Z.:No particular songs, but I grew up in the 90's with bands like Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Aqua, Spice Girls, NSYNC, Boyzone, Ace of Base and many other (local) bands that were big at the time and now forgotten....

Referencing to my first post, too: Despite everything, I think I would've loved Spice Girls back then, also. As I remember getting excited for this Mcdonald's(?) commercial that played Wannabe, it was a peek into what I was missing the entire time!

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Songs of your generation that make you nostalgic?
Pages: [1] [2]