Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Free comic book day 2019

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Free comic book day 2019
Pages: [1]

"Free comic book day 2019", 4th May 2019, 4:02 AM #1
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
This year was way better than last year. I got my hero academia, spawn, ninja turtles, street fighter and Stranger Things. I don't know what's going on with DC. are they trying to fade into obsolescence?

Did you go?

What did you get?

Was it good?
6 days ago, 6:59 PM #2
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
The lack of replies here speaks volumes. It felt like this to me and wasn’t mentioned a lot everywhere like before. Weirdly the selection online that was supposed to be available was better than previous years.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
6 days ago, 9:02 PM #3
The Letter M
Thanks for responding. It is weird, considering so many people from this site went last year and discussed what they got.
5 days ago, 8:27 AM #4
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
Well, it took a bit to go through them as I was indexing them at the Grand Comics Database as I read them.

Hit Action City, Fantasium and the Puyallup library.

Fantasium had big sale where they were selling books by the pound.

Free Comics we managed to accumulate...

Boom! Studios Free Comic Book Day 2019 [Welcome To Whedonverse] #1 – Okay, seem to be excerpts to three issues.

DC's Year of the Villain Special – Eh, okay for what it is, a lead-in to the big-overarching, universe-altering crossover. Zzzzzzz...

Dear Justice League FCBD Edition #1 – Okay.

Disney Descendants: Dizzy's New Fortune – FCBD Edition – Okay, but not a story I tend to read.

Doctor Who: Free Comic Book Day Issue, 2019 – Okay, but I think the shortness of the story worked against it. The Doctor just used her sonic screwdriver to basically fix the problem and that was that.

Dragonfly & Dragonflyman – Not bad, the first story was the best, the rest were okayish.

Free Comic Book Day 2019 (Avengers/Savage Avengers) #1 – Ehhh... the first story is all over the place, like the writer wants to include everything rather than focusing, the second story is more focused, but not really my cup of tea.

Free Comic Book Day 2019 (Spider-Man/Venom) – Ehhhh, okay.

Free Comic Book Day 2019: General [Stranger Things & Black Hammer] – Eh, okay, but nothing special.

Hope #1 – Interesting idea, the writing and art are okay, but I just don't feel enthusiasm for it.

Kodansha Comics Free Comic Book Day 2019 – Okay. The Witch Hat Atelier looked good and seemed like it could be a good story.

Lucy & Andy Neanderthal Big And Bolder – Eh, okayish. Wasn't quite what I was expecting.

Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship Free Comic Book Day Special 2019 #1 – Weird as usual.

My Hero Academia Free Comic Book Day 2019 Edition – Okay, but nothing special.

Punchline #1 FCBD Edition – I liked this one!

Riverdale FCBD Edition – About what you'd expect from the seedy, twisted little Riverdale verse.

Spawn #1 Free Comic Book Day 2019 – A reprint of the first Spawn story, a little rough in the storytelling, but the book is coming up on it's 300 issue, so clearly some people like it. ;-)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Free Comic Book Day 2019 – Okay.

The Tick: Free Comic Book Day – Nice. Fun read.

Treasury of British Comics Presents Funny Pages
– Not as bad as I feared, but, at best, mildly amusing.

Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale FCBD 2019 Edition #1 – Uhhh... imagine Catwoman's teenage years as an overwrought teen drama and... yeah.

Vampirella #0 – Okay.

Zagor: The Alien Saga FCBD – Not bad. I would expect the original publication might have been a bit more piecemeal as the story flow is a little slower in parts.
5 days ago, 8:52 AM #5
The Letter M
I really liked the spiderman one. Him and miles hanging out and talking about pizza with the shocker. It was a nice little story, and the carnage thing looks interesting.

There was no vampire one where I went. Sounds cool.
4 days ago, 11:30 AM #6
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
The thing I didn't like about the Peter & Miles story was that overdramatic we're gonna fight type opening and then it cut to tasting pizza. If it had cut to them playing a video game or something like that it would fit, but not for a story about pizza. A different opening and I would have liked it better.

Vampirella should have been cool. The first story written by Christopher Priest has an interesting idea, but it was kind of let down by Priest's writing (not a fan) maybe if he'd told it in a more straight-forward way instead of getting artsy I'd have liked it better. The second story was a reprint that was okay, if easily predictable, but with 50 years of stories to reprint why go with that one?
4 days ago, 11:44 AM #7
The Letter M
Oh VampiRELLA that was all out by the time we got there.
3 days ago, 2:28 AM #8
rcbirdy

Registration date: 26th Aug 2017
This year was the first time I lived somewhere with a participating store, so I went! It was pretty fun, the place was packed.

Dragonfly & Dragonflyman
Adam West Batman and Frank Miller Batman. The contrast was hilarious. It's a neat little look into the way things were before the events of the actual series ("The Wrong Earth"), enough to get me curious but I don't know if I would pick it up. Followed by a story about cats in space that was kinda meh, and then by a short wordless story about a black cat getting revenge on Edgar Allan Poe, also meh, though the cartoony designs were fun.

Marge's Little Lulu in The World's Best Comic Book
Very Vintage. A bunch of short stories featuring Lulu and associates, it's just a smorgasbord of classic comic goodness. My favorite one was probably Treasure Hunt, in which Lulu and her friend try to find buried pirate treasure with a dowsing rod. I feel like there's a lot I could learn and apply to my own comic-ing in here.

Our Favorite Thing is My Favorite Thing is Monsters
I really loved this one! The art is fantastic and the story is complete while also making me very curious to see more (which is probably the point!). Preceded by a short comic about how the author got West Nile Virus and how it changed her life, and followed by a "how to draw a monster" section aimed at kids.

A Sheets Story
Another entirely self-contained story about a girl with a ghost friend who possesses a bedsheet when nobody is looking. The characterization is really strong but I did sort of get the feeling reading it that I was too old for the lessons learned. Would definitely recommend for a younger reader though.
3 days ago, 2:42 AM #9
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
I was in an out-of-town convention that weekend. I didn't know it was going on at the time too.