Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What are you favorite monsters?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > What are you favorite monsters?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

"What are you favorite monsters?", 7th May 2019, 8:06 PM #1
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
By monsters I mean horrifying, dangerous creatures. And, entirely arbitrarily, I'd like to leave out kaiju and other really enormous critters. Maybe "Smaller than an 18-wheeler would be a good ruled of thumb here. I would overlap the term with 'demon' quite a bit, especially in systems where demons come in 'types' as in Japan.

I tend to like man-beast monsters like the Minotaur or Gozu, and things with tentacles.
7th May 2019, 8:11 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
The Frankenstein type homunculus always had a special place in my heart because the creature from Frankenstein was my introduction to intelligent monsters. I also adore merfolk, harpies, goblins, sasquatches/bigoot and trolls (kind of obvious).
7th May 2019, 8:12 PM #3
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
I don't really have a favorite monster, but I did love this unconventional interpretation of harpies. True to the description of "birds with the heads of maidens" and yet, completely different. They're from the game Vagrant Story.
7th May 2019, 8:14 PM #4
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Recently I've been fond of Gorefield stuff.
Both hilarious and fascinating. It's "Eldritch Abomination" right?
7th May 2019, 8:20 PM #5
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
This is a very good thread. Monsters are my life.

In terms of mythological stuff, I really love the Nuckelavee of Orcadian mythology.

Said to be the torso of a man embedded in the back of an equine-like creature that emerged from the sea, it was quite a horrifying beast. It was often to blame in traditional folk beliefs for stuff like droughts. I love it so much, it’s such a brilliant concept to me.
7th May 2019, 8:20 PM #6
Kelsey -Nutty- P.
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
I loooooove me some werewolves!!! Give me those creatures of the night, can't get enough of 'em.
7th May 2019, 8:33 PM #7
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
how can you ask questions like that and watch us struggle to write short answers??? it's like the Pokemon thread. or the prehistoric animals thread. or any thread that asks you to choose between a ton of favorites ;~;

anyway...

I really like ambiguous creatures ("is that a dragon, a giraffe or a unicorn??")
strange hybrids (medieval monsters really loved that aesthetic)
creatures you barely see or who like to hide behind a shell or cloak or whatever else
bogeymen and anything created to prevent kids from doing dangerous things
yokai (especially those who are animated objects)
undead monsters
creepy uncanny valley humanoids

and probably other things I forgot about...

I also recommend taking a look at Bogleech's Mortasheen creatures, if you aren't already familiar with them. this guy got some serious, twisted creativity. (warning: huge page, it may take a while to load)
7th May 2019, 8:37 PM #8
he_xie

Registration date: 28th Feb 2019
i love folklore so much okay, my favourite being probably wodniks and kappas (because they are cute little slimy frog boys just look at this baby) Even my monster sona is a wodnik
And Ε»mijs because they like wells and lakes (relatable) are kinda dumb and overthink things (relatable) and try their best to just find a wife (relatable). Some of them are hot but most are just big snake boys
(author is Frank C. Pape)
As for more general tropes I love chaotic fairies who trick people and ruin their life for no reason. Maybe you danced with them for a one night and then it turns out a century has passed, or dreamed of marrying a fairy princess but then it turns out it was real but then it turns out she was an ant? You know, the usual stuff
7th May 2019, 8:55 PM #9
Wartooth
will never cave in to the enemy
Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
Story-wise I'm really attached to duality and corruption of man and beast. I really like werewolves because they pretty much embody these horrors of what happens when people devolve and show the primitive id that lives within us all.

Visually, I like demons. The fact that they come from a higher(lower?) power means they don't really need to follow conventions of our world and what we understand to be plausible. Demons depicted in art are grotesque, colorful, and nonsensical. I think being unable to explain their existence or biology makes them scary to look at.

For my readers out there, consider those hints and teases for my comic. And the demons... well... they're closer than you think.
7th May 2019, 9:13 PM #10
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
I. Love. Monsters.

I love drawing them. I love how they tap in to that visceral side of your creativity and allow you in to aspects of your evolved ape-mind repressed by civilisation. I love how you can express yourself through their body horror and push yourself and the audience beyond the mundane. If I wasn't doing a superhero comic, I'd be doing a horror comic (as it goes, my superheroes will traverse in to the horror genre). My type of horror is OTT gore, body horror. I've navigated towards movies such as John Carpenter's "The Thing", Hellraiser, The Evil Dead, The Tzimisce from Vampire: The Masquerade. These things give you an artistic licence to mould them in to your own visions of horror. Beyond that I'm kind of with Lovecraft, it's what's unseen that's truly scary.

I'm not totally laddish with this though, Frankenstein is my favourite novel, although I do interpret the creature's journey in the book his cultivating a monster through developing selfish Western ideals. If only he'd had a book on Buddhism in that rickety old barn...
7th May 2019, 11:06 PM #11
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
keiiii:I don't really have a favorite monster, but I did love this unconventional interpretation of harpies. True to the description of "birds with the heads of maidens" and yet, completely different. They're from the game Vagrant Story.

Wow, that is different! And cool and spooky. I recall a lot of Bosch-type monsters with heads in the bellies and so on, but not quite like this.

Merged Doublepost:

TheStrangerous:Recently I've been fond of Gorefield stuff.
Both hilarious and fascinating. It's "Eldritch Abomination" right?

I always thought Garfield was a monster, I'm not really seeing the difference...

Merged Doublepost:

Kelsey -Nutty- P.:I loooooove me some werewolves!!! Give me those creatures of the night, can't get enough of 'em.

The Lon Cheney version was the first I saw and really put me off the whole deal, but with modern CGI I've come to have a better appreciation of them. Also Buffy helped with that.

Merged Doublepost:

Matt Comics:how can you ask questions like that and watch us struggle to write short answers???

Write long answers...

anyway...

I really like ambiguous creatures ("is that a dragon, a giraffe or a unicorn??")
strange hybrids (medieval monsters really loved that aesthetic)
creatures you barely see or who like to hide behind a shell or cloak or whatever else
bogeymen and anything created to prevent kids from doing dangerous things
yokai (especially those who are animated objects)
undead monsters
creepy uncanny valley humanoids

and probably other things I forgot about...

I also recommend taking a look at Bogleech's Mortasheen creatures, if you aren't already familiar with them. this guy got some serious, twisted creativity. (warning: huge page, it may take a while to load)

All good stuff, and that page is great! I have something to explore tonight!

Merged Doublepost:

he_xie:i love folklore so much okay, my favourite being probably wodniks and kappas (because they are cute little slimy frog boys just look at this baby) Even my monster sona is a wodnik
And Ε»mijs because they like wells and lakes (relatable) are kinda dumb and overthink things (relatable) and try their best to just find a wife (relatable). Some of them are hot but most are just big snake boys
(author is Frank C. Pape)
As for more general tropes I love chaotic fairies who trick people and ruin their life for no reason. Maybe you danced with them for a one night and then it turns out a century has passed, or dreamed of marrying a fairy princess but then it turns out it was real but then it turns out she was an ant? You know, the usual stuff

Man, chaotic fairies are the worst! I really gotta stop hanging with those bitches. But, you know, damn. They're hot.

Merged Doublepost:

Wartooth:Story-wise I'm really attached to duality and corruption of man and beast. I really like werewolves because they pretty much embody these horrors of what happens when people devolve and show the primitive id that lives within us all.

Visually, I like demons. The fact that they come from a higher(lower?) power means they don't really need to follow conventions of our world and what we understand to be plausible. Demons depicted in art are grotesque, colorful, and nonsensical. I think being unable to explain their existence or biology makes them scary to look at.

For my readers out there, consider those hints and teases for my comic. And the demons... well... they're closer than you think.

Yeah, I think the whole 'don't have to follow conventions' thing is what makes demons/vampires/werewolves such popular wish-fulfillment vehicles. Ironic, because I think these things came about as symbols of oppressive force or evil inner-natures, invented by people who identified with their victims, not the monsters.

Merged Doublepost:

shaneoid:I. Love. Monsters.

I love drawing them. I love how they tap in to that visceral side of your creativity and allow you in to aspects of your evolved ape-mind repressed by civilisation. I love how you can express yourself through their body horror and push yourself and the audience beyond the mundane. If I wasn't doing a superhero comic, I'd be doing a horror comic (as it goes, my superheroes will traverse in to the horror genre). My type of horror is OTT gore, body horror. I've navigated towards movies such as John Carpenter's "The Thing", Hellraiser, The Evil Dead, The Tzimisce from Vampire: The Masquerade. These things give you an artistic licence to mould them in to your own visions of horror. Beyond that I'm kind of with Lovecraft, it's what's unseen that's truly scary.

I'm not totally laddish with this though, Frankenstein is my favourite novel, although I do interpret the creature's journey in the book his cultivating a monster through developing selfish Western ideals. If only he'd had a book on Buddhism in that rickety old barn...

That's an interesting set of contradictions- the OTT gore vs 'unseen terrors' vs comics are a visual medium... As a kid I found horror comics dull because I didn't embrace the underlying assumptions and the art was not convincingly visceral- I preferred horror novels because the pictures in my mind really scared me.
7th May 2019, 11:26 PM #12
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
Wendigo! (Which is really a metaphor for the cannibalism taboo, but whatever)
7th May 2019, 11:50 PM #13
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
I like a lot of different monsters, but some of my favorites:

"Before the kiss, a redcap." (that's not what they're referencing, surely?

Azathoth, 'cause it's scary as hell.

Oops, forgot nagas.

Can I unironically include humans in this also? Some of us are pretty monstrous.

7th May 2019, 11:57 PM #14
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
You hates me, don't you? You made this topic, just to traps me in a tangent on monsters, didn't you?

It'll take a while, but I can probably get some photos of several of my favorite monster types represented in LEGO minifigure form, because a list would be too long.

EDIT: Aw, f---it, I'm listing. I love listing.

-KRAMPUS and his coworkers. So many European cultures have demons and bogeymen instead of coal and switches. I LOVE IT. Particularly fond of the French bastard Pere Fouettard, who according to lore tried to get Saint Nicholas to eat babies. What's weirder is that not only did St. Nick not eat the child meat, he then brought the cut-up tykes back to life, fully intact (and according to paintings, totally shredded), and made the man his bitch. (Okay, I'm not fond of him, but I want to see him more often in Christmas horror, because this is the good stuff.)
-Pumpkin People. Fun fact, while that trope was on the Launch Pad, I added so many examples to it - because I have an example of my own planned. And the type varies. Dullahan, Ghost, Scarecrow, plant, lots of cool things.
-Slashers. Give a madman a sharp object and some kind of heightened power, set him loose against a few kids. A mask will help (Micheal Myers, Leatherface, Jason Voorhees, Ghostface), but isn't necessary (Freddy Krueger, Chucky).
-Whatever the heck Pennywise is. Both Curry and Skaarsgard.
-Vampires. They turn into bats, burn in sunlight, mess with your head, and can turn you into one. They're nightmares and also the idea scares me on a spiritual level.
-Werewolves. A little lighter than vampires. Werebeasts are interesting - whether they dread the transformation or embrace the monstrosity they become. Or even if they maintain enough sentience to NOT become feral beasts.
-Elite Zombies: Anyone can take down an undead with a good shot. Let's make things FUN! Will killing this zombie attract more zombies? Is this one going to catch you in his hangman's noose of a tongue? Is that a Buddhist monk walking among the fallen suburbanites? Are undead superheroes keeping their powers post-mortem?
-Mad Scientists, assistants, and their creations. The madmen with vision, seeking to play God, assisted by their loyal henchmen, often dubbed "Igors" despite other names being available, and their monsters. We were not meant to toil in God's domain, but by His name is it fun!
-Dark Magic users. To all you necromancers, you blood enchanters, demon-dealers, soul-stealers, and power-hungry fools, this one's for you.
-Ghosts. SO MANY TYPES. We have our cutesy kinds that don't frighten kids too much, take your Ermas, Carrie Kruegers, and Caspers. The mischeivious, like Slimer, Boo, and Hitchhiking Ghosts. The heroic - Danny Phantom, Deadman. Dark avengers - The Hangman, the Lumberjack Ghost. Outright BASTARDS, such as Redmund and Blutarch Mann, Zephaniah Mann, Freddy Krueger, possibly Hamlet's Father. Whatever you're in the mood for, there's a ghost for that.
-Skeletons. Maybe bones are just cool. ALSO come in a wide variety of styles. We've got goofy, spooky, scary, mundane, misshapen, dancing, stop-motion, GIANT, well-dressed, mechanical, on-fire, and sans.
8th May 2019, 12:22 AM #15
Reaper Dragon
πŸ‰
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
I like diverse mythology so Mananangal and cherufe for example are interesting. More diverse and preexisting types of vampire and werewolves rather than the generic film type. You can’t have a monster thread without mentioning Typhon though it’s banned here. Dragons obviously and things with unusual powers like the cockatrice.

I’m against chimeras especially part human ones like centaurs and Minotaurs.

Things more regional like Tanuki or thunder children are not necessarily powerful but often subtle and diverse and aren’t typically combat oriented. Not necessarily scheming or evil but potentially dangerous or need watching out for. Don’t try to catch and trick a leprechaun.

"I thought β€œUnicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
8th May 2019, 1:24 AM #16
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
Reaper Dragon:I like diverse mythology so Mananangal and cherufe for example are interesting.

Huh, didn't think anyone would mention something from Filipino mythology/folklore, we're not exactly that well known in that department. But yeah, manananggal are weird bastards, heh.

As for me, not sure if I've got a specific favorite monster per se, but I am rather partial to Lovecraftian type creatures, and the entire "things man was not meant to know" shtick. Always pretty interesting stuff.
8th May 2019, 2:56 AM #17
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I love ghosts so much. I mean what's more fascinating than death. And they are so good for themes that interest me, something from the past still here. Vengeance, trauma, obsession, regret, forgiveness, the obsolete but present.

I also love faeries. I was obsessed with "Field Guide to the Little People" as a child. I love the combination of violent chaos bound by tight rules. Show kindness, respect, and caution and you might get a pocket of gold. Eat the wrong bread and get your head twisted off. Sometimes they reward kindness and evil in a world that often does not. Sometimes they are just violent chaos and vengeful glee. And they can often highlight the change from old lore to rural Christianity to modern cities.
8th May 2019, 3:14 AM #18
ChristianRepass
voted to be eaten first
Registration date: 6th Apr 2017
I have been waiting for this sort of thread for a while.

First of all, I like werewolves. As a kid, I was pretty scared of them, since I lived out in the country and one of our sheep was killed by an Eastern wolf. When I got older, I was interested in how they could turn into a human and back, and I got more and more interested into them, learning that mythos about them and similar creatures exist almost worldwide, including the Irish Faoladh, which are friendlier versions of them. Actually, I've adopted Faoladh into the Uib's Legacy lore since it takes place with Celtic stuff.

Second, I also like dragons. As a kid with autism, I used to be super-obsessed with them, and I still have a copy of Dragonology by Dr. Ernest Drake to this day! I still like dragons, although I'm less obsessed with them today. I even considered adding them to the Uib's Legacy lore, but after reading reddit threads, people are kind of tired of seeing dragons in fantasy, so I avoided putting them in...
8th May 2019, 3:43 AM #19
Shekets
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Scary squinty eyed humanoids.
Big teeth. Big nose. Beady little eyes, or lots of eyes. Probably hairy. Very, very hairy.

Krampus is hot. I have an unhealthy fascination and attraction with satyrs and other half goat-half man creatures, but especially if they're demons.
I really like demons in general though, because they tend to be very diverse in appearance and powers depending on the culture they're from or what they're associated with.

Those are my preferred romantic partners types of monsters, but I like most monsters either way!

Eaton Pye:things with tentacles.

Yes.
8th May 2019, 3:50 AM #20
TheHiddenElephant
not a slice of pizza
Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
Well, I like the Wendigo, definitely a top critter of mine. But that fellow ain't just starvation, the Wendigo is selfishness given form, and always derived from a human. I'm writing a paper on the Wendigo for one of my classes right now, in fact. I know a lot about the Wendigo.

As far as other critters go, I like dragons because they're very expansive and flexible for fantasy settings, though I much prefer it when you go talky smart dragons.

I've also got an unhealthy like for snakes and snake monsters, the biggest being Medusa. Just want to give her a big ol' teddy bear. I also think that Medusa would fall in love instantly with anyone who gave her a scalp massage successfully.