You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Uploading to Webtoons
Pages: [1]

"Uploading to Webtoons", Two weeks ago, 5:42 PM #1
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
Venting about Webtoons, I covet your thoughts and prayers. If anyone has similar experiences or can explain why this is such a popular comic site, I'd love to know because what the heck.

Me: Okay, time to upload some pages to Webtoons. I've already formatted my pages for mobile to put on Tapas so this should be easy.

Webtoon: lol what is this PNG you speak of, JPG only.

Me: okay.... dumb but easy change

Webtoon: Also each file must be under 800x1280

Me: Oh- okay, Tapas lets me make really tall files with nice continuity so... I guess I have to undo all of that.

Webtoon: The thumbnail should be NOT SQUARE.

Me: You're not cute or quirky.

100 hours later

Me: Okay I have met all of your demands, here are my files

Webtoons: Loading.... 16/17 files

Me:....

Webtoons: 16/17

Me:
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
Two weeks ago, 6:39 PM #2
AK Illustrate

Registration date: 30th Jun 2012
WebToons is a nightmare to put comics on. x_x/

Had Tapas not pulled some shady TOS business months back and lost a lot of peoples' trust, it would have been the clear superior to WebToons' user experience for long style comics.
Two weeks ago, 6:56 PM #3
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
I started on webtoon converting to vertical scroll format and now I feel committed to it and it's 1-2 hours of painful cutting out and resizing panels every time and IF it wasn't technically my biggest readerbase I wouldn't bother

And when you find one of your panels is a little too tall and it's one near the start so you upload a new one and spend ages slowly dragging the panel up to the top because the upload box is TOO SMALL

Also I hate jpegs in general, twitter and instagram both convert everything to really lossy jpegs and it looks so trash sometimes
Two weeks ago, 7:16 PM #4
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
I gave up super quickly attempting to post my comic on Webtoons due to their strict guidelines.

It doesn't help that my comic is over 1100 pages long and to resize/tweak all those pages...and convert to JPEG (which make the pages look super bad)...yeah.

Two weeks ago, 7:21 PM #5
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
LeRenardRoux:Venting about Webtoons, I covet your thoughts and prayers. If anyone has similar experiences or can explain why this is such a popular comic site, I'd love to know because what the heck.

Me: Okay, time to upload some pages to Webtoons. I've already formatted my pages for mobile to put on Tapas so this should be easy.

Webtoon: lol what is this PNG you speak of, JPG only.

Me: okay.... dumb but easy change

Webtoon: Also each file must be under 800x1280

Me: Oh- okay, Tapas lets me make really tall files with nice continuity so... I guess I have to undo all of that.

Webtoon: The thumbnail should be NOT SQUARE.

Me: You're not cute or quirky.

100 hours later

Me: Okay I have met all of your demands, here are my files

Webtoons: Loading.... 16/17 files

Me:

Feel your pain. I just don't worry about scroll format, at least until i get featured. I don't think that will ever happen, but man, if it does I may be shooting myself in the foot.
Two weeks ago, 8:23 PM #6
Kei Esteban
Catgirl Connoisseur
Registration date: 11th Feb 2018
Yea, I couldn't deal with all that...
So after a few months, I deleted my comic off of there.
Also, JPEG is just the worst format ever! (Maybe)

If you want another Comics site:
Smack Jeeves
It's nice not having to change my comic in any way ^_^

Two weeks ago, 8:47 PM #7
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I started with posting on webtoon so I just use that file for every other site, which is very convenient because I would really rather not go the other direction!

Thumbnail not being square though, I don't get that. I also don't understand why they don't allow formats other than JPEGs, but I can understand the size limit.
Two weeks ago, 8:50 PM #8
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I admit that uploading on Webtoons was a pain in the beginning, but after I got the hang of it, it was very rewarding.
Two weeks ago, 9:00 PM #9
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
MK_Wizardd:I admit that uploading on Webtoons was a pain in the beginning, but after I got the hang of it, it was very rewarding.

How so? Higher reader engagement? Larger readership?
Two weeks ago, 9:02 PM #10
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
For everything. I get more readers and it is a mobile alternative for my webcomics since I don’t have a mobile version of my site.
Two weeks ago, 9:37 PM #11
UnitMComics

Registration date: 22nd Dec 2018
The scroll format seems incredibly difficult to do well.

Even the best-of-the-best on Webtoons seem to struggle. Though when a creator does nail it, it looks very elegant.
Two weeks ago, 10:00 PM #12
AK Illustrate

Registration date: 30th Jun 2012
I gotta say I'm not huge on Web Toon's search engine either. I like finding lesser known comics that way, but I never really find anything I'm interested in as there is no clear... Way to search for things. Not to mention that the results page is very small and not great for browsing design wise. It's just a mess...

Of course, this is in the browser. Maybe it is different on the phone? But like. At this point, the site has given me such frustration I can't bring myself to bother.
9 days ago, 7:19 AM #13
Darksh1ne

Registration date: 7th Nov 2015
Webtoons made me hate vertical comics.
9 days ago, 10:52 AM #14
Kev

Registration date: 14th Oct 2015
Asking for a friend but if y’all don’t use JPEG to save the images, what do you use? :)
9 days ago, 11:23 AM #15
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
PNG! it's not lossy so you don't get degradation and weird artefacts
Twitter does a conversion to jpg automatically:
you can mostly see how it's trashed the red. It gets worse the more you save a jpeg while a lossless format like PNG remains nice n clean and crispy

deo101:I also don't understand why they don't allow formats other than JPEGs, but I can understand the size limit.

They probably limit it to jpeg because of loading times, lossy compression = smaller file size which is especially important for those huge scroll pages with loads of images. I guess they couldn't work out how to/be bothered to do an automatic conversion :/
9 days ago, 12:48 PM #16
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
It is clunky uploading to webtoons, I’ve found the quickest way for me without losing too much quality is using keyboard shortcuts to quickly export my panel pngs to jpgs in gimp. At a high quality setting you barely lose that much quality on gimp, I’m just too lazy to even do these steps though haha. Exporting straight to jpg in manga studio is iffy otherwise i’d just use jpgs for every mirror.
9 days ago, 4:32 PM #17
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
Sovember: Exporting straight to jpg in manga studio is iffy otherwise i’d just use jpgs for every mirror.

I only recently started using Clip Studio Paint, and I find that exporting to anything is iffy if it involves reducing the pixel count very much. If there are controls for anti-aliasing, I don't know where to find them, and the default process goes for harsh stair-stepping in PNG and JPEG both.

In theory, btw, PNG should only be superior to JPEG when there is a limited color palette and less tonal gradients. High quality JPEGS SHOULD be a good format for full-range images if the conversion is direct to the final format and they don't keep getting resaved or resized on the fly. I think with so many different screen types these days, every display application is resizing images on the fly to fit the screen, and it makes a mess.

I'm no expert, so at this point I just go for what looks good on the hardware I use- a Surface Pro 4- and let the rest fall where it may.
One week ago, 12:10 AM #18
Kev

Registration date: 14th Oct 2015
Mothtrap, my “friend” told me to tell you thank you :)