Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What improves your creative process?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > What improves your creative process?
Pages: [1] [2]

"What improves your creative process?", Two weeks ago, 2:28 PM #1
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
More specifically coming up with ideas?

Easily I find taking a walk super efficient, especially during lawn mowing. So many ideas just pop into my head.
Two weeks ago, 2:52 PM #2
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
It’s easy to sort new scenes and ideas into your head when walking, or even doing some mindless chore like drying the dishes, I find.

I also find watching cartoons and anime very helpful for ideas, as well as reading comics. Often something in the story or characters will inspire me or make me rethink a scene or two, usually making them better scenes/characters overall.

Talking to trusted friends about the story helps tremendously, cause you are reminded of why this is your passion and dream again, your creativity and morale is rekindled.
Two weeks ago, 2:57 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Honestly, doing stuff other than comics. It's good for my spiritual, physical and mental health to not revolve my life around comics. We are made to be many things and when we function that way, we function at our best. At least I do. Plus, I feel like I am actually accomplishing something when I do that.
Two weeks ago, 4:40 PM #4
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Not going to my day job.
Two weeks ago, 4:54 PM #5
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
Coming up with ideas is not my problem, it's execution. Which is hard to do while taking a walk or doing the dishes.
Two weeks ago, 5:05 PM #6
dougwarner59

Registration date: 13th Jan 2012
TheStrangerous:More specifically coming up with ideas?

Easily I find taking a walk super efficient, especially during lawn mowing. So many ideas just pop into my head.

I'm like you. I come up with ideas walking or riding my bike.
Two weeks ago, 5:21 PM #7
Wartooth
will never cave in to the enemy
Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
I have a long commute to campus so that's where I come up with a lot of my lore and story bits :P

Mindless tasks that you're forced into seem to really support making up interesting stuffs.
Two weeks ago, 5:43 PM #8
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Sleep.

I get super crazy dreams and a lot of times they give me usable ideas (very rarely is the dream understandable enough to use straight up, though that's happened before)
That, and just being rested and having fresh eyes on something helps
Two weeks ago, 9:04 PM #9
InnocentToothBrush

Registration date: 18th Feb 2019
I get ideas for my comic whenever I'm in the shower & right before going to bed. I keep my phone next to me and jot down anything that comes to mind. It's actually pretty annoying seeing how I'm wet in the shower & trying to sleep.
Two weeks ago, 11:00 PM #10
ShaRose49

Registration date: 27th Jul 2018
Another good thing is actually studying—studying the art of storytelling. Few things inspire me more than that—I get super focused and determined when I see how much story has eroded over the years and how much better I can be if I keep the important things in mind that I learn from studying.
13 days ago, 1:41 AM #11
Wrathborne

Registration date: 30th Dec 2012
Stress, anger, wearing my lazy clothes while I draw.
13 days ago, 2:00 AM #12
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Music, sleep, videogames and looking outside the balcony while thinking.

My Webcomic:
13 days ago, 2:26 AM #13
BUMBLEBEE

Registration date: 18th Sep 2016
Wartooth:I have a long commute to campus so that's where I come up with a lot of my lore and story bits :P

Mindless tasks that you're forced into seem to really support making up interesting stuffs.

Me too - almost all my ideas come while I'm driving to work, watching the show in my head... and watching out for other cars!
13 days ago, 2:48 AM #14
Bandkanon

Registration date: 25th Feb 2011
not being in pain. that helps.

too bad that's a rare case for me these days lol
13 days ago, 3:54 AM #15
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Whatever it is, it's currently missing ! Well, not for story lines, I have to admit, but the ability for colouring them in with actual artwork...
11 days ago, 5:44 PM #16
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Coming up with ideas tends to be more of a hindrance than a help for me. What I usually need is less ideas and more time and energy to make them usable and get them on paper.

Walking is the best way to brainstorm for me though. When I'm stuck on something, I'll find an excuse to go for a walk. And, if possible, make some poor shmuck listen to me hash out whatever I'm struggling with
11 days ago, 5:55 PM #17
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
I love a good daydream, just nothing to do and you let fire so many adventures for your characters in your head. I find playing games helps sometimes too, I'm currently running around in Champions Online and that's a good place to lose yourself in.
11 days ago, 5:59 PM #18
Owlsy

Registration date: 21st Jan 2016
deo101:Sleep.

I get super crazy dreams and a lot of times they give me usable ideas

This^^^

My current comic is actually based on a dream I had. I like to record some of my dreams when I first wake up because a lot of times I'm apparently a lot more creative when I'm sleeping as opposed to when I'm awake.

Walking while listening to music is my go-to when I want to brainstorm. Doing research for my stories, whether sci-fi or historical, gives me a lot of great ideas too.

And looking at creative media! Art, movies, videogames, other comics, animation: all great sources of inspiration.
11 days ago, 7:24 PM #19
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
TheStrangerous:

Me too, along dreaming. Helps when I watch something I can actually, completely enjoy. (Which rarely happens D': )
Last but not least, video games help a lot.

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
11 days ago, 10:40 PM #20
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
Periods of silence when my mind can wander without distraction (shower, sitting at the park or bus, brainless chores...)

Scenery plays a big part, for me.
Big, spacious empty rooms, for example. I don't know how, exactly, but I suspect it's something about blank slates that get my mind pumped to fill that blank slate full of stuff. Or maybe it's just the lack of available distractions? IDK, it's like the brain waves can all clearly bounce off the walls. It begs to be filled with...anything.
There's also long trips through the countryside and staying in new places like hotel rooms. Something exhilarating about it. I'm always excitedly popping out a comic everytime I go on a trip.
Pages: [1] [2]