You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Horrific car accidents and weird sightings
Pages: [1]

"Horrific car accidents and weird sightings", 13 days ago, 8:12 PM #1
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
I'm learning how to drive.

Tell me about some of the most horrific/crazy car accidents or near accidents you've witnessed or heard about.
Also please talk about some of the weirdest things you've seen while driving.
13 days ago, 8:43 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
This happened to me when I was driving and while it wasn't an accident, it almost lead to one that would have been devastating. There was this huge piece of bumper flailing around on the road and windy like crazy on the highway. As I was driving forward, the bumper got lifted into the wind and nearly hit my windshield, but by some miracle or a guardian angel looking out for me, it blew to the side not hitting me or any other car and got stuck in place. If that thing hit my car, it would have gone through my windshield and most likely killed me if not left me worse.
13 days ago, 9:37 PM #3
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
Getting used to a new car and driving more careful than normal due to my mother being a passenger and exiting a roundabout at low speed and loosing the back end. I did recover the skid easily enough but it was out of nowhere. Appeared dry but I’m guessing it previously had oil spilled on it.

ABS on a car activating at low speed for no reason while slowing down. I later figured out I needed to be more aggressive with that car to be safe.

Deer on the road, no accidents yet though.

A duck (I think) flying from the field on the side of the road to the water on the other bouncing off the windscreen.

fender bender in a car park. Two cars at a corner reversing out at the same time. No sign of people around and I didn’t keep checking for cars going the wrong way around, where the other car reversed from. *face palm* were they waiting for another car to have an accident?

Downed trees, debris on the road etc

A horse bolting down a road with cart in tow bouncing off parked cars and nobody with it.

A truck joining a motorway ignoring the heavy traffic forcing its way straight to the second lane. Lots of vehicles heavy braking.

A topless guy walking down a motorway on the road in the dark looking into the trees on both sides like they lost a dog or something.

Thankfully no bad accidents but plenty of opportunities. I’ve passed a few crashes but never seen them.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
13 days ago, 10:05 PM #4
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Once saw a truck, with bottles of alcohol drinks scattered around.
Sucks to be that trucker back then.
13 days ago, 10:22 PM #5
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
Shekets:Tell me about some of the most horrific/crazy car accidents or near accidents you've witnessed or heard about.
Also please talk about some of the weirdest things you've seen while driving.

A buddy of mine had a manhole cover smash into the hood of his car like a frisbee last month on the highway.

To this day he has no idea where that manhole cover came from (there was no hole anywhere), and he's super lucky it wasn't a foot or so higher and went into the windshield, that would've been insta-death.

There was literally nothing he could do to prevent this, no reaction time or anything; just one second, all good, next second, the front of his car is absolutely destroyed.
12 days ago, 1:47 AM #6
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
My grandfather was killed in an accident. I was never told all the details but from what I gather he was on a motorcycle on the highway, between two cars. They got too close, he was flung forward, and whatever happened next killed him. I don't know if he was wearing a helmet, but Google tells me that 90% of motorcyclists who die in the Philippines weren't wearing helmets. It's likely. Depending on what the cars did to him, a helmet may not have helped. Who knows.

It freaks me out how easy it is for cars to hit motorcycles and bikes. Some motorbikes are small enough to weave between cars and I barely notice them before changing lanes.
12 days ago, 5:40 AM #7
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
I've seen a jeep shoved backwards, diagonal, and atop a three foot concrete divider in a toll booth. I still don't know how that happened.

Weird sightings, eh? Well, one time I was hallucinating behind the wheel from lack of sleep, fatigue from being exposed to sunlight, and chronic pesticide dust exposure. The sky turned black and the sun turned pink. And there was this giant purple brain on someone's lawn, like the size of a car, just sitting there.

Another time when I was young, my step-father and I had to pull off the side of the parkway for a pee break in the woods. Within, there was a perfectly hollowed out corpse of a Rough Collie (that's Lassie's breed) just laying there in the woods. It was just... empty. There was maybe a hint of feet bones, but the rest was just gone and flat. No visible skeleton through the mouth or sockets, innards, nothing. Just a rough collie husk. He told me not to look at it/leave it alone and we never brought it up again. I still have no idea what that was about, or why it was left in the woods alongside a major road like that.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
12 days ago, 9:45 AM #8
J-son

Registration date: 8th Nov 2017
Almost t-boned into a cop car exiting a neighborhood, had to stomp on the brakes. Ow. Either that cop was 16 or 90 years old.

My dad's friend was a city bus driver and he stopped for a dog and got rear-ended. I don't recall if they were in the bus or in the car that crashed into the bus, but a child died so idc if this sounds mean but just forget about the pooch.
12 days ago, 1:27 PM #9
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Well being about the oldest around here, I've got lots !

Driving on the Motorway, I saw some mayhem start, way ahead, so slowed down and put my lights on, hopefully as a warning to those behind.... so when I got close, I was going slow enough not to skid all over the place, like a dozen cars had already. A truck had lost a load of strawberries, which the cars behind had immediately turned into puree'. Nothing more than minor injuries and a bit of collision damage....

I worked in the steelworks , on shifts, as a consignment clerk, so knew a whole bunch of contracted semi-trailers that delivered our reinforcing steel, in our company-liveried colours. I knew who was who by their rego' numbers... so I knew I was behind "Lofty" one Saturday, while driving the motorway over to the English side, where my then girlfriend was. I pulled alongside as I overtook, leaning across, so I could lookup and wave...and he was slumped at the wheel. I tooted him continuously, until he woke up, looked around and got his shit together. He saw me, made a praying hands gesture and a thumbs up. Next time into the factory, he told everyone I'd saved him .

I was driving my Dad's big old Ford sedan home from the steelworks, with him in the back and a fellow worker of his in the front, in snowy conditions. Going down a road with parked cars either side, when suddenly a Seikh gentleman with a bicycle came out from behind a parked van...and went into "bunny-in-headlights" mode. So, since the options were run straight over him, or swerve - and most likely slide all over the place - I chose the latter. A car coming the other way was smart enough to slow down, gently, when he saw what was happening. I slid/ corrected/ repeat/ repeat... until I got back to a straight line, just as I got to the other car (the driver gave a smile and a big thumbs up). MY old man's mate had one foot on the dashboard and one hand on the roof, and his mouth ready for swallowing a grapefruit whole. He may have needed a change of underwear too, but I can't be sure. I think my old man did too - but from laughing at his mate's panic ! I loved that he obviously felt very confident in my driving abilities.

...anyway, enough for now!
10 days ago, 1:50 AM #10
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Adjusts my driving glasses

Yikes and scary stuff guys.
I'm learning how to drive in a 1957 Ford Ranchero and a 1986 Lincoln town car (we have a 1958 Plymouth Savoy, but it's in the shop because the coil died, Ranchero is in the shop too). The Ranchero is a little bit scary because the previous owner modified it for racing, so the gas pedal is really, really touchy.

The town car is the best and smoothest ride, really easy to drive compared to the Ranchero, but it's like 18 feet long and has a lot of blind spots. Thing is, people tend to give it space on the highway because of the size and weight (and reputation as a mafia car). It's a tank.

I passed my permit test today, and I get my permit tomorrow. For me, the most daunting thing so far is that I have to go from a complete stop, make a sharp turn and immediately go 60 (our turn off is directly off a highway). The speed increase is really intimidating for me, the fastest I've driven so far is about 25 mph (I am little baby), and have been practicing parallel parking. Our neighborhood had to petition the county to put in a turning lane because we had a bunch of fatal head-on collisions at our turn off.

Can't wait to start running over skinwalkers in my mafia car.
10 days ago, 2:26 AM #11
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
So, a few years ago, I was driving my mom's Jeep home from Tech. The road I took is long, winding, and surrounded by forest. I lose focus for a second, then try to correct a turn I was making.

Basically, it was then I lost control of the Jeep. I swerved, trying to correct it caused me to swerve again. So I did what I was instructed to do in driving school, I turned the car off, took the keys out of the ignition, and slammed on brakes. Fortunately, I also aimed the vehicle at a soft spot of dirt on the side of the road, so I didn't his a tree or anything. Still, I was terrified, my laptop bag was flung all over the place (though this instance didn't break the laptop), and I had no idea if the car was safe to continue driving.

Ended up waiting half-an-hour or so for my mom to arrive. A friend of my parents recognized the vehicle and asked if I needed help, but I didn't know what he could do and also I didn't recognize him.

On a more "every day" level, sometimes someone gets too close to you for comfort. So far, I've been in the backseat when a truck almost hit the jeep from my door, riding on a multi-lane highway when a truck almost pulled into the jeep, one day I was driving home from Cookout with a milkshake and TWO cars cut in front of me, scaring the crap out of me and causing the cup to flip when I hit brakes to avoid them (contents inside were okay, thankfully).

On an even more boring level, once I was at the bank when my truck's battery gave out. A guy jumped me off, so I had SOME juice, but while on the phone, my parents told me to NOT turn the truck off. So I went to the ATM to check my balance, and turned the truck off to do so. I was at the ATM for over 20 minutes because of my stupidity.

Whatever you do, don't be me. Be smart.
10 days ago, 2:48 AM #12
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
Honestly my uhh most memorable car-driving experience is -

TroubledFriend, who we will call Samantha, was over at my parents house visiting with my brother and sister in law. I do not remember the occasion. Regardless. We were gone outside and Samantha goes into the kitchen, I go inside and I find her guzzling beer so fast she might as well be shotgunning it. Like, alone. She got drunk as FUCK. Over like, a family-and-friends little get together where we were playing dominos.

So fastforward and we try to take Samantha home. It becomes a big To Do because I don't know where Samantha's boyfriend's house is but my sister in law knows, we will call her Karen. Karen drives like there's a goddamn tsunami gaining on her to consume everything she knows and loves.

I'm sent to drive a second car after Karen in case shit goes wrong.

So I'm driving at night through the windy-ass county roads after SPEED RACER who has a drunk, fighting woman

Oh, right, I forgot, they had to fight her into the car because she's an angry paranoid drunk apparently

And they take a hard left turn into some neighborhood road and it's not because this is where Boyfriend lives, it's because Samantha had to pee so bad and was screaming and threatening that she'd piss all over Karen's car so Karen just pulls off of the highway.

So Samantha shambles out of this car and just in the big-ass middle of the road turned off from the highway, she just hunkers down and jetstreams everything that got her into this state onto the asphalt.

But at the time, I had no idea Samantha was threatening to piss all over Karen's car. From my perspective, it'sj ust a hard neck-whipping 90* demon-turn into a neighborhood and a sudden stop, hazard lights, and then Samantha just pissing right in front of me just, all over the place

Then to complete this story:

Then she gets back in the car and I follow them, and she decided apaprently Karen was ruining her life and somehow plotting against her by dropping her off at her boyfriend's house (where she lived) so when I got into the driveway of the boyfriend's house I had to like go play hostage negotiator with this PARANOID, CRAZY ASS drunk person and walk her into the house while she's shrieking and screaming at Karen about how they're all horrible life-ruiners and she's clinging to me about how she loves me and everybody else is a fucking liar
10 days ago, 2:54 AM #13
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Ain't nothing like a car doing a 360 on the ice a hundred feet ahead of you to shake you out of a hangover.
10 days ago, 3:41 AM #14
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
As a lad, I rode an electric scooter down my neighborhood and accelerated like a nimrod which made me lose my balance so I was rocking side to side like a cartoon character about to fall off but then magically regained equilibrium as I got back to my relative's house. Had Lady Luck or whatever deity not aided me, I might have gotten an ugly scar or worse. There was also a recent programming bug that happened during rush hour. I had to stop to restart the engine but luckily, there was a shoulder to park on. Got off easy on that too. Luxury autos are overrated. I could bring up the time I got rear ended which thankfully happened on a low speed area and my vehicle wasn't a small sedan cuz the other dude had like an F-250 or something...the battery on that poor ride was new too.
10 days ago, 3:50 AM #15
Mild

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2016
I have a story to tell!
Once upon a time I was a kid returning home with my dad late at night. At the end of our journey he told me to wait for him in the car and went into a store to buy us something for breakfast. Shopping took him quite some time, I got bored and was watching cars passing by.
That's when suddenly, out of blue one of them f#ing exploded! Just like in a movie, but in real life it was much more scary.

My mother was working in ER at that time and it was her team that was called there. She said the driver survived and got only minor burns, but the car was destroyed. It turned out he had several canisters of gasoline in his car (why, I don't remember) and something made them go boom! Lucky man. He didn't think so, though, being super upset about his car at the time.
10 days ago, 4:56 AM #16
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I also saw a car explode! Mine was arson though, and not when driving it was in a parking lot.

While driving (not me, my brother) our car just.... shut down. We had bought it in Arizona and it wasn't that old, and where we lived in Arizona doesn't have any hills so it was fine. Here, though, there are a TON of hills and the car couldn't handle it (probably years of heat damage or something, I couldn't tell you what). It just completely died on him while he was trying to make it up a hill, and he had to carefully maneuver the car back down the hill BACKWARDS until he could get help.

My friend's dad falls asleep at the wheel regularly and while I've never driven with him, it's terrifying to be reminded that those people exist!

I've never personally seen an accident happen that I can recall so these are as close as I can get.
10 days ago, 6:03 AM #17
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
I went on a works-organised weekend coach trip. It was dark, by the time we got to one section of the motorway, near our destination, when the traffic got clogged and there cop cars and ambulances passing... then we saw a glow and all stood up to look and there were several emergency vehicles already in attendance, a bus on fire and a bunch of cars involved, all strewn on and off the road - and suddenly one of them went up, boom !

Then, many years later, here in Oz, on the way home from the Gold Coast, one Sunday night in busy traffic, and someone must've shunted the vehicle in front and that did the same ! We were almost at our turn-off so escaped the jam, and got home in time to see it on the news. NO-one killed but burns and breaks...

And a mate of mine in a kombi in the city, was approaching red lights, so slowing, then they changed, so he accelerated again. The road he was one joined to the major road on a 45 degree angle and had a triangular building (like that famous N.Y. one), so you couldn't see... a semi-trailer must've figured he could shoot the read light, so he collected John's VW and totally rolled it like sushi, several times, until he came to rest on the side of a bridge, where 2 ladies had had to run for their lives.
NO seatbelts (probably just as well !), so hit the roof a couple of times, bouncing about, and finally ended up in the passenger foot-well. The roof and windows were flattened down below door-handle level. If it had been me, I'd have died, but John was a small guy, so he just fitted. He could hear the ladies saying - "Oh ! that poor man !" So he shouted to them. He got cut out by firefighters, with little margin for error and the heat from the oxy-acetylene getting very close !
10 days ago, 11:19 AM #18
Damatris
the only thing I'll hit is the books
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
Haven't been in an accident or seen one happen (only almost situations) but...

I once was traveling in a car that almost got hit by a lightning. :') Thankfully it missed us and hit the field about 5 meters away. Did you know lighting makes a mini explosion of dirt when it hits the ground?
3 days ago, 9:51 AM #19
Red Jack

Registration date: 1st Mar 2017
I saw a guy walking his ferret when driving one time. A little bit weird... or at least pleasantly rare.

Unfortunately I saw another driver with his right hand holding his phone texting, his right forearm on the steering wheel and his left hand..........
doing quick up and down motions near his middle region.
He was doing all this while driving. I was both horrified and sort of impressed by his multi-tasking ability.