Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Let's talk mediums :O

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Let's talk mediums :O
Pages: [1] [2]

"Let's talk mediums :O", 17th May 2019, 2:28 PM #1
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
So, I realize that many artists these days do digital work, but I know many also still dabble in traditional mediums. I use them, myself, reserving digital work for adding in text and speech bubbles and otherwise cleaning up the image.

QUESTION TIME!

Do you ever do any work in traditional mediums?
If so, what's your favorite; what do you gravitate towards? Why do you like it?
What do you like to use for drawing? Inking? Color? What kind of paper do you like? DO you have a preferred art store to shop at, and why?

Let's discuss traditional media :D
17th May 2019, 2:30 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Me, I do sketching and inking traditionally all the way always. Inking digitally just never worked for me and something about doing the dirty parts hands on thrills me. I love it. I'm like a racer, once I start, I can't stop.
17th May 2019, 2:37 PM #3
Timelapse11
goes fast
Registration date: 14th May 2017
I really like just drawing with a pencil, I've been trying to sketch random things lately, mainly horses though. I draw with biro a lot too.
I did get into graffiti a while back, I need to get a lot more colours though, there's only so much you can do with florescent green and a few shades of blue XD
17th May 2019, 3:03 PM #4
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
I almost entirely create my artwork and comics in traditional media. I can never seem to work out how digital mediums "work", if you know what I mean, but kudos to those that can get them to work.

Primarily, I work with just good old-fashioned dip pens and India ink, which is a medium I started properly working with a few years ago and I instantly fell in love with it. I love how versatile it can be, and I feel I gravitate towards it lot as a number of my art heroes (like Tove Jansson, Jim Woodring and Tony Millionaire) all use or used ink quite extensively. It works well for me as well, as I very rarely work in colour. Occasionally I'll use stuff like sponges, brushes and sticks of bamboo to apply ink as well. In terms of paper, I at least use decent quality cartridge paper, or if I'm working on something particularly fancy, Bristol board.

In terms of other traditional media, I occasionally dabble in watercolour and graphite, but I'm not very good with either, so I just stick with pen and ink most of the time.
17th May 2019, 3:15 PM #5
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
BustyLaroo:Do you ever do any work in traditional mediums?

What do you like to use for drawing? Inking? Color? What kind of paper do you like? DO you have a preferred art store to shop at, and why?

I used to, but've stopped since about last year. What I used to do was draw in some random sketchbook, no idea what the paper was; and drew using a mechanical pencil and inking pens. From there I'd usually just scan and color it using Photoshop, but I did have some generic color pencils that I'd use on occasion, mainly when I was making a concept and needed color to clean out the mental image, ASAP. Outside of the latest page of my webcomic, every single page before that was drawn exactly how I described above. I never shopped too often for that stuff, but when I had to get some art supplies, I'd usually just go to the nearest Michael's. I live in a pretty big city, so they were usually easy to find. Plus it was fun looking around seeing art supplies that never crossed my mind to use.

I mainly swapped to all-digital mainly out of convenience; I mean, it's less things to carry around, and a more streamlined process altogether.
17th May 2019, 5:09 PM #6
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
BustyLaroo:
QUESTION TIME!

Do you ever do any work in traditional mediums?

Let's discuss traditional media :D

I used to draw on paper all the time! I had MANY colored pens, markers and crayons and would randomly e my parents for art books or buy one myself! My stuff wasn't exactly practicing portraits and stuff though, it leaned more to Paper-games and comics... hell, I'd even write down stories for the games/ make "picture books" and use a hole puncher and paperclips to complete the assortment of art and info!
But... everything was SO pricey :( So I'm sticking to digital until a HUGE load of money rolls in, and buying art supplies doesn't kill off doing/buying everything else I want..

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
17th May 2019, 7:12 PM #7
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
BustyLaroo:Do you ever do any work in traditional mediums?

I love working traditionally! Almost all of my work is done totally digitally, but I still work traditionally sometimes too.

My favorite medium is markers, definitely. I use my colored pencils with them, too, to get some more subtle gradients, and I use my pens. I like working on smooth bristol paper instead of marker paper.
Second favorite is probably oil paints, followed pretty closely by acrylics and watercolors. However, I get pretty significant pain in my hand from painting so I don't really do it anymore. I work in charcoal but pretty much only for school at this point.

I think I like markers because I can get the consistency and precision that I crave with them. They are what I feel I can get the cleanest final product with, and what I am happiest with. I've barely used mine but I really love them!
17th May 2019, 8:38 PM #8
ewolf20

Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
I pencil and ink traditional on the side but never for comics. just about everything else is digital done. i'm a massive neat freak so the idea of getting gunk on me freaks me out. A shame since i wanna learn how to paint..
17th May 2019, 10:00 PM #9
BustyLaroo

I love all these insights :)

I can understand the hesitation getting dirty... it's pretty much a guarantee you'll get SOMETHING on your hands lol Pencil dust, marker ink, paint splotches, ink smudges... Yup. I'm definitely one of those who doesn't mind this at all.

I like to use watercolor and markers the most for coloring, though I do have a set of 120 pencils from Faber Castell, in both the poly-chromos and albrecht durer. I'm ... spoiled. xD All my art supplies is a result of over a decade of collection though, most of it I had to save up for. (also cuz I'm a bit of a picky snoot and while I don't just go for the PRICIEST stuff, I reeeally like the nice stuff and it tends to cost more lol)

For comic work I use bristol and ink, plus outline with multiliners. I loooove the look and feel of the crisp, black ink gliding over the paper. And I love the feel of the nice, smooth bristol. My current favorite is Fabriano Bristol +, as I can get it from one website for almost half the price of other, comparable brands. :O

I gotta say, I do not recommend Michaels to anyone looking for art supplies. Maybe the prices are better elsewhere but where I live in Canada at least, I've found them to be more expensive than most any independent art store, with a much worse selection. If it's your only option, GO FOR IT. But if not, I HIGHLY recommend supporting your local art shops :) A few I've been to will even bring in material/supplies from small, unknown manufacturers. So that's a cool way to try out new stuff.
18th May 2019, 6:38 AM #10
DaniBoy

Registration date: 25th Mar 2017
Oh hey, you got a feature on DD. Congratulations, dudette!

Pff traditional is all I do. In high school I spent a year working with digital for the experience, and it wasn't fun or satisfying like using a good old pencil and paper. Anymore digital is only used to clean up scans. The tools used strictly for my comic are smooth bristol board, prisma and micron pens (black and colored), verithin prismacolor color pencils, white ink with a fine tip brush, and sharpie markers for the gutters.

For random drawings I use whatever, just out of high school I was big on mixing watercolor and copic markers. The markers were nice for the finer details, and they meshed perfectly with the watercolor so it didn't look weird. Sometimes I play with different pens, or work with a plain old pencil. Color pencils, obviously. Once in a blue moon I'll pull out hand-me-down paints to mess around with. I'll draw on any type of paper, although I like bristol for my comic, and smooth mixed media or drawing paper is nice for proper illustrations.

Shopping. I normally buy everything on Amazon or some other online store that sells art stuff for cheap. xD If there's an emergency (like I just used of my last page of bristol board and need more NOW) I'll go to a Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
18th May 2019, 4:10 PM #11
BustyLaroo

Ah, yeah I did! :D That was so awesome. I literally squealed when I found out LOL

I have a large set of prismacolor pencils as well! They really do have such a nice, bold colors, and I like their creamy consistency. I switch between them and my faber castells when using pencil crayons. I USED to have a large set of the Prismacolor markers. Then I used them up and they dried out... lol I now have my first ever bunch of copics. :D I LOVE THEM OMG. I got the Sketch Set B and D (yeah I had to save up for a long time). Currently saving up to get Set E next....

I've been using microns for almost 15 years now! I've also been trying out the copic multiliners, but I love that the microns are cheaper and easier to find. The copic multiliners are super nice to use though. And I have this random, papermate mechanical pencil I've been holding onto for years cuz I love it xD
18th May 2019, 8:09 PM #12
ewolf20

Maybe I'm a neat freak, but I was never fan of how traditional coloring looks sometimes. Especially if you forget to cover the white spots in dry media. I like markers and watercolor more as it looks more smooth. Inks as well but it's hard to make them look crisp traditionally. It's funny as I don't mind making some of my art look traditional.
18th May 2019, 8:38 PM #13
BustyLaroo

And that's definitely an advantage digital work has: It's very smooth and crisp. It's relatively easy to erase mistakes and change color schemes and all of that. Many of my favorite comics are colored digitially, and they're gorgeous. (Stand Still Stay Silent, The Meek, Amulet... to name a few). However, one of my favorite published works is Blacksad and that's done with watercolor and ink! Watercolor is one of my preferred mediums BECAUSE it doesn't have a smooth, polished look... it has this loose, dreamy quality that I find quite inspirational and moving :)

It is challenging to get traditional medium to look neat and polished, definitely. That's not to say traditional artists are so much better for doing it, just that you really do have to learn what works and what doesn't. Programs like Photoshop have been a real godsend for cleaning up images!
18th May 2019, 10:18 PM #14
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
I think part of the reason I have an aversion towards working in digital mediums is because I feel it often looks too clean. I guess that's why I prefer traditional media over it, seeing as I like stuff that has even minor imperfections.
19th May 2019, 5:02 AM #15
DaniBoy

BustyLaroo:-snip-

I can imagine you did. It's a little disappointing how they do the features on the podcasts now, though. The person who featured the comic used to get on and talk about why it was featured, gave the comic a couple critiques, and generally talked about the story for a bit before moving to the podcast's main topic. I wonder why they changed it.

Back on topic! I've heard from a few people that Fiber Castells are better as far as quality, how do you like them? Have you heard of Caran D'Ache Pablo color pencils? There was a video I watched a while back talking about them, the brand is more expensive but the person was saying they were really good pencils. I've never heard of them until watching the video, though.

I'd say I love Prismacolor markers but back when I used them they only sold the fine line and fat tip markers, they were hard to get the hang of since I was used to the copic's brush tips. They also don't blend very well. Copics are nice but sooo expensive, it must have taken you a while to save up. xD A few years ago the price inflated to around $500, I'm glad they're back down to $200-$300. Spectrum Noir markers are good middle ground markers, they don't have the brush tip but they're cheaper and blend pretty well, they also have a large variety of colors to choose from. Not gonna lie, if markers were cheaper (or if I were rich) I'd be using them to color my comic rather than color pencils, they'd cut the drawing time in half.

Micron pens smear easily, and are really delicate, but they're great for crisp fine lines. I can also use them over my color pencils and they won't get ruined by the wax like other pens. The Prisma pens are more durable, and dry fast. They're both good pens! I have a pack of Copic pens I got for a Xmas, although I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. How do you like your's so far?
Lmao! For the ages I clung to this cheapo Zebra mechanical pencil I got from Walmart. Although it was lost... or stolen a couple years ago, I've been using this SumoGrip pencil I got as a gift. The pencil is really nice so far, it has a comfortable grip, and comes in a 0.5 lead size, which is nice! Given the chance I'd probably stick with my dumb Zebra, though. It was so cheap, and worked just as well.

ewolf20:Maybe I'm a neat freak, but I was never fan of how traditional coloring looks sometimes.

Lol the grainy, messiness of traditional is why I prefer it over digital when it comes to aesthetics. It looks organic and lively, while digital has a starile, dead look, at least to me. Some digital art looks freaken gorgeous! But it feels very few and far between... I'm really picky. The imperfections that give traditional art it's character is something that's extremely difficult to replicate digitally, at least from what I've seen.
19th May 2019, 5:12 AM #16
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Haha.... Totally Off-topic, but as a pedantic old bastard, the plural of an art medium would be
media, so....haha...like a fool, I thought this thread was going to be about, like, you know "mediums" as in clairvoyants.

A victim of my own thing-a-ma-jig. DO feel free to laugh at the old fool !

B-)
19th May 2019, 4:04 PM #17
ewolf20

DaniBoy:I can imagine you did. It's a little disappointing how they do the features on the podcasts now, though. The person who featured the comic used to get on and talk about why it was featured, gave the comic a couple critiques, and generally talked about the story for a bit before moving to the podcast's main topic. I wonder why they changed it.

Back on topic! I've heard from a few people that Fiber Castells are better as far as quality, how do you like them? Have you heard of Caran D'Ache Pablo color pencils? There was a video I watched a while back talking about them, the brand is more expensive but the person was saying they were really good pencils. I've never heard of them until watching the video, though.
Video
I'd say I love Prismacolor markers but back when I used them they only sold the fine line and fat tip markers, they were hard to get the hang of since I was used to the copic's brush tips. They also don't blend very well. Copics are nice but sooo expensive, it must have taken you a while to save up. xD A few years ago the price inflated to around $500, I'm glad they're back down to $200-$300. Spectrum Noir markers are good middle ground markers, they don't have the brush tip but they're cheaper and blend pretty well, they also have a large variety of colors to choose from. Not gonna lie, if markers were cheaper (or if I were rich) I'd be using them to color my comic rather than color pencils, they'd cut the drawing time in half.

Micron pens smear easily, and are really delicate, but they're great for crisp fine lines. I can also use them over my color pencils and they won't get ruined by the wax like other pens. The Prisma pens are more durable, and dry fast. They're both good pens! I have a pack of Copic pens I got for a Xmas, although I haven't gotten around to trying them out yet. How do you like your's so far?
Lmao! For the ages I clung to this cheapo Zebra mechanical pencil I got from Walmart. Although it was lost... or stolen a couple years ago, I've been using this SumoGrip pencil I got as a gift. The pencil is really nice so far, it has a comfortable grip, and comes in a 0.5 lead size, which is nice! Given the chance I'd probably stick with my dumb Zebra, though. It was so cheap, and worked just as well.

Lol the grainy, messiness of traditional is why I prefer it over digital when it comes to aesthetics. It looks organic and lively, while digital has a starile, dead look, at least to me. Some digital art looks freaken gorgeous! But it feels very few and far between... I'm really picky. The imperfections that give traditional art it's character is something that's extremely difficult to replicate digitally, at least from what I've seen.

....oh...well I guess I'll quit comics i guess..
19th May 2019, 4:30 PM #18
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
This is a little extreme, lol!

Merged Doublepost:

ewolf20:....oh...well I guess I'll quit comics i guess..

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
19th May 2019, 4:44 PM #19
ewolf20

Sorry about. I'm not super confident about my art. Like everyone has different opinions..and this is a small minority...sigh forget it...
19th May 2019, 5:18 PM #20
DaniBoy

ewolf20:-snip-

Jesus, man. The post I made wasn't even about your art. You stated your personal preference in art you like looking at, I responded with mine out of conversation. You know, since discussing art media is the main point of this thread. Sorry you took that as a personal attack.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Let's talk mediums :O
Pages: [1] [2]