Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Author Comments - Do People Read Them?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Author Comments - Do People Read Them?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Author Comments - Do People Read Them?", 9 days ago, 2:06 PM #1
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Like the title says, I'm curious to know if people actually read a webcomic's author notes under the pages ever?

I know some comics don't include them, but others do to perhaps explain what is going on in the comic a bit more, or to make discussion happen.

9 days ago, 2:09 PM #2
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
Sometimes, if I'm looking for an explanation OR the author makes interesting comments.
9 days ago, 2:13 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I do. Always. I find they are a part of the comic.
9 days ago, 2:15 PM #4
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
I also sometimes read them. It depends on if I'm up to date on a comic, or if I don't get what's going on, or I just really, really like the comic and like the author's comments.

I also like to check them for updates.

If I'm really behind on a comic, and I'm reading a large chunk, I often don't read the comments if I'm deeply immersed (sometimes, I nom nom nom consume consume XD) But if I'm caught up and just checking that week's page, I will often read the comment and sometimes respond.

I also am more likely to read an authors' comment if I'm going to leave my own comment. I'm scrolling by it, so I might as well :3
9 days ago, 2:23 PM #5
felixp7

Registration date: 17th Sep 2016
I try, but often forget. They're usually worth reading, but easy to overlook, because my focus is on the page. Especially as most of the time I'm binging, either on one comic, or else on updates from multiple comics.

It's so satisfying though when I do remember to read the author comments and it's something good, or I can leave a nice reply. Conversation matters!
9 days ago, 2:24 PM #6
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I always read them, and try to always write my own too. I find they make a creator feel a lot more approachable, to me. I dunno, when a comic doesn't have them, I find it makes the author seem a lot more aloof? Especially when they don't reply to comments either.
9 days ago, 2:38 PM #7
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
I always check for them and read them if they are here, but I rarely make one myself.
9 days ago, 2:41 PM #8
MagicMixture

Registration date: 11th Feb 2017
I read them most of the time for interesting tidbits or to get an idea of what's going through the author's head. I find it fun.
9 days ago, 3:14 PM #9
Blotto

Registration date: 5th May 2019
I always read them and enjoy writing them. I think it gives you a chance to get to know the cartoonist better.
9 days ago, 3:21 PM #10
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Ditto, I always read them, they can be funny or informative.
9 days ago, 4:54 PM #11
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
When checking an update, yes. When reading through an archive to catch up, no. I like to read them to get a better understanding of the author, but I forget to check it when I'm reading quickly.
9 days ago, 5:14 PM #12
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I always read the author comments, even the mouseovers if there's a unique one for each page.
9 days ago, 5:25 PM #13
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
I read the author comments on updates, and if I'm archive-diving and the author writes interesting comments. A lot of the comments aren't really worth bothering with, even on some good comics. I hate mouse-overs.
9 days ago, 5:30 PM #14
...(RockB)

Registration date: 7th Jul 2016
Location: Munich, Germany, Europe, Terra, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea Supercluster. Still TMI? Then you are too far out for me.
What BlueDragon said, with a little twist: Normally I read them, unless there's a reason to skip them, like doing a binge-read and the action on one page makes me want to get to the next page ASAP.

They often contain extra info :)

Referring to an author's comment in a comment I write? Sometimes, but much less often.

Edit: I like funny mouse-overs but you can click on the page and go to the next one before you see a mouse-over, so these are more like easter-eggs for me :)
9 days ago, 5:35 PM #15
Mild

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2016
My readers say they enjoy them and find the reminders I include in these comments very handy. My comic is over 5 years old, so it's easy to forget something if you're not binge reading, so I remind, with links, where we've seen someone/something before if it's important at the moment.

According to my counter, new readers spend about 20 seconds on each page, so obviously, they don't read the comments.
9 days ago, 5:42 PM #16
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
I rarely do, though it depends upon the creator's use of them.

I'm not a fan of "the explanation or punchline is in the author's comment" setups. The comic should stand alone and be self-contained, in my opinion. I do appreciate, though, when an author provides a reminder in the event the page refers to something so long back that readers probably forgot.

I do sometimes check for news, though.

My one exception is anything by Humon -- http://humoncomics.com/ & http://satwcomic.com/ -- because her comics frequently are references to interesting facts for which she provides detail in the author notes.

As an author myself, I generally assume readers skip my comments and do not put much effort into them. I do sometimes use them to provide a little news. Any big news that I want readers to definitely see gets posted as a comic page, to ensure that even the never-read-author-comments readers can catch it.
9 days ago, 5:42 PM #17
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
I hope people actually read my author notes, because most of them are really important, due to the unusual nature of my comic.

I always read them, even when I'm archive binging. I don't want to miss something important. the only thing I tend to skip is regular comments by other readers, especially if there are 20+ of them.
9 days ago, 7:51 PM #18
BluRaven C. Houvener

Registration date: 11th Jun 2014
I do everytime. The Author comments are a doorway into the creators comic, and life. There are times that a little blurb has told me that the comic is going on hiatus(I definitely comment then too haha). I've even witnessed creators baring their woes in the author comment section which can also lead to uplifting and inspiring conversations.
9 days ago, 8:41 PM #19
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
I certainly do. Sometimes the insight of the author gives me a better understanding of a presented joke or plot point. And othertimes, the comments are just funny.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
9 days ago, 9:27 PM #20
KarToon12

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2012
I always read them. Sometimes they're funny. And sometimes, they can be informative. It can be a nice "behind the scenes" peek at your favorite comics.