Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How old do they look like ?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > How old do they look like ?
Pages: [1]

"How old do they look like ?", 5 days ago, 5:13 PM #1
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
So I was wondering how old my OC'a look like and I'm asking here. They have fixed ages that I won't change, but if you have some ideas how to make their design better, I am willing to listen.
Prince Royal, the king (yeah, he has a strange name.)

Vöndres Beastkiller (this one is also spoilered for size)

Chaos (It's his codename)
5 days ago, 5:26 PM #2
Eaton Pye

Registration date: 21st Feb 2019
They all look pretty much like they're 17.
5 days ago, 5:39 PM #3
Thorsby

Registration date: 14th Nov 2013
Prince 23
Beastkiller 30
Chaos. Hard to tell. Maybe 25?
5 days ago, 5:41 PM #4
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
Their faces are all quite youthful, which is wont to happen with anime-like style, but based on their body types:

The king looks about in his mid to late 20's and the next two in their 30's. Without knowing what age they're supposed to be, I have a few suggestions on making them look older than a youthful 17-20:

First off, and I know this can be hard to depict depending on style... BODY HAIR. For most men, the older they get, the more body hair! But also lose it on top of their heads. :P

Second: Men's bodies actually tend not to FULLY mature until mid to late twenties. That's when they begin getting that "filled out" look. Thicker neck, heavier shoulders and chests. They also put on more fat. Obviously this can vary quite a bit depending on their lifestyle and body type!

Third: WRINKLES. Especially in the face and ESPECIALLY dependent on what types of expression they make the most. (think laugh/frown lines)

Hope some of this was helpful. :)
5 days ago, 5:49 PM #5
Zero Hour

Well, they are all actually in their early 20', king being 21, Vöndres 23 and Chaos 21, but I think I'll give some wrinkles to that one as he's supposed to look way older he actually is
4 days ago, 2:30 AM #6
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
I notice two things that are not related to your query but I mean, yeah, they all look like they couldn't be 21.

1. You have artifacts where your color meets your lines, what are you doing to color and what program are you using so we can help you get rid of that?

2. Your references are inconsistent. Like, the pants are down-pat for Chaos but his hands are wonky. This is not to be like a mean thing to say or anything, so please know that ahead of time. What I'm saying is that I can tell when you are and are not using references. I think you should use references for EVERYTHING and create references using your cellphone camera and your own body where you can't find them.

I'd recommend you to look into gesture drawing and also do wire-wrapping exercises, which is where you draw a person or other figure as if they are wrapped in wire so it's just like this big exercise focused on keying in on a sense of 3D form. Like drawing mummies. It's very apparent where you are using a reference like the king's feet are spot the fuck on (congrats) but his hands look a little poor. We all get there eventually, again, not a bad thing. But it's a jarring thing to see a really well-developed sense of form (from using a reference) suddenly clash with a very poor sense of form (such as the hand on the waist). Find references for everything so that you can learn faster, and so your work looks more coherent.
4 days ago, 7:16 AM #7
Zero Hour

Thanks, I am still relatively new to drawing and I am willing to take every advice I need

And I'm using Firealpaca, I can't afford any paid program (I'm poor AF)
4 days ago, 11:35 AM #8
cheetour

Registration date: 28th Mar 2019
Ooh, I used FireAlpaca for years, it's a good program! Which tool are you using to colour? I used to use the Magic Wand tool, with the "expand" set to 1-2, in a layer under the lineart. That made it artefact free.
4 days ago, 11:38 AM #9
Zero Hour

Thanks for the advice, I started using it 2 weeks ago so I'm still figuring things out, I'll try doing like you said.
4 days ago, 3:48 PM #10
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
They all look to me like they are somewhere between their late 20s and their mid-30s.