Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Cast Page

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Cast Page
Pages: [1]

"Cast Page", One week ago, 3:36 AM #1
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
So I just reworked my cast page, fixing the layout and deciding what sorts of things to include. Any thoughts on it? I like how clicking on each portrait opens the tab for each character, but is that a bit too busy? Would it be better to just have a typical long page?
One week ago, 4:06 AM #2
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I personally prefer more condensed things like this than long scrolls, so I say that's great!

However, I think this combination of background and font could use a bit of work, it's a little difficult for my eyes to keep track of everything on this pattern.
Also, it might be nice if you could make the portraits a bit bigger so they fill the block you've made for them

Other than that it looks great!
One week ago, 4:12 AM #3
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Your text is a bit hard to read. The bg pattern really gets in the way of the black on white presentation.
One week ago, 1:57 PM #4
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
The background has too much high-contrast fine detail, making it hard to read the text. I would suggest lowering the contrast, and maybe scaling it up a bit, if not replacing it entirely.

The background is aligned to the bottom, so when you click between tabs the background jumps up or down. I strongly suggest changing the style of .genbox background from "bottom repeat" to "top repeat".

The bullet points seem kind of superfluous. The bold labels make it clear what this is.

The image of The Master is too wide, and crams the text into too small a space. Suggest downscaling or replacing.

Typo: Hartwig's dislike include "aritocracy". Probably meant "aristocracy".

I'm not entirely sure a sans-serif font is best for a medieval-fantasy setting. I'm not sure what exactly to use instead - a plain serif wouldn't quite be right, but I've never found a medieval-looking font that looks good for body text.

The large header pushes the content of the page down below the fold on both screens I tested on. I would get rid of some of the padding on the overall body, and probably move the "click on the buttons" text into a placeholder div, one that gets replaced by the character info once the reader clicks one.

The text on the actual character buttons is too dark against the background. White text would probably work better.

You could probably fit six character buttons in a single row, if you stretched it out to the width of the content div. There's an annoying empty space to the right of The Master that looks like it could fit another character, so if you don't want to expand it, I'd shrink it so exactly five can fit, not the five-and-a-half you currently have.

On the plus side, your character descriptions were short and to the point without being uninteresting, and you included all the info most readers would want. So the actual content of the cast page is good. You only have styling problems.
6 days ago, 3:37 AM #5
BMR

Registration date: 4th Feb 2017
deo101:I personally prefer more condensed things like this than long scrolls, so I say that's great!

However, I think this combination of background and font could use a bit of work, it's a little difficult for my eyes to keep track of everything on this pattern.
Also, it might be nice if you could make the portraits a bit bigger so they fill the block you've made for them

Other than that it looks great!

E-hero Vulven:Your text is a bit hard to read. The bg pattern really gets in the way of the black on white presentation.

GMan003:The background has too much high-contrast fine detail, making it hard to read the text. I would suggest lowering the contrast, and maybe scaling it up a bit, if not replacing it entirely.

Good call! I've changed the contrast on the background image, so hopefully it looks better now. I did keep the pattern though, as I rather like that entire knotwork aesthetic, and it's used extensively in other parts of the site.

GMan003:
The background is aligned to the bottom, so when you click between tabs the background jumps up or down. I strongly suggest changing the style of .genbox background from "bottom repeat" to "top repeat".

Good point, done!

GMan003:The bullet points seem kind of superfluous. The bold labels make it clear what this is.

Also a good point, removed!

GMan003:The image of The Master is too wide, and crams the text into too small a space. Suggest downscaling or replacing.

I did really like that pose though, equal parts goofy and mystical. I'll definitely change the image though, as I can see how the text being squashed is a problem. Same goes for Zahir, I suppose, though with him it's definitely not as bad as with the Master.

GMan003:Typo: Hartwig's dislike include "aritocracy". Probably meant "aristocracy".

Oh, good catch, fixed! Also, turns out I wrote "Humself" rather than "Himself". Where is my mind these days, heh.

GMan003:I'm not entirely sure a sans-serif font is best for a medieval-fantasy setting. I'm not sure what exactly to use instead - a plain serif wouldn't quite be right, but I've never found a medieval-looking font that looks good for body text.

This was actually something I was thinking about as well. I've also yet to find a font that really speaks to me that would fit in well with this. I'll definitely change it as soon as I find something though.

GMan003:The large header pushes the content of the page down below the fold on both screens I tested on. I would get rid of some of the padding on the overall body, and probably move the "click on the buttons" text into a placeholder div, one that gets replaced by the character info once the reader clicks one.

Ive been considering scaling that header image down for some time now. It does seem to take up too much space. Space which would be better utilized for the comic itself.

On the note of having the "click on the buttons" section vanish, how would I go about doing that? I'm only just barely fluent in HTML/CSS/Javascript, so I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that.

GMan003:The text on the actual character buttons is too dark against the background. White text would probably work better.

That's strange. It shows up as white on my computer. I checked the CSS though, and I did indeed not specify that it should be white. Weird. But, I'll ponder why that happened another day. For now, fixed.

GMan003:You could probably fit six character buttons in a single row, if you stretched it out to the width of the content div. There's an annoying empty space to the right of The Master that looks like it could fit another character, so if you don't want to expand it, I'd shrink it so exactly five can fit, not the five-and-a-half you currently have.

Heh, I was actually trying to solve this problem the other day, as that extra space was annoying me. Tried all sorts of float, align, etc... types of things. Never occured to me to just adjust the padding between the buttons. Fixed now.

GMan003:
On the plus side, your character descriptions were short and to the point without being uninteresting, and you included all the info most readers would want. So the actual content of the cast page is good. You only have styling problems.

Awesome!

And thanks to everyone who provided critique, it's very much appreciated, cheers!
6 days ago, 2:06 PM #6
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
BMR:On the note of having the "click on the buttons" section vanish, how would I go about doing that? I'm only just barely fluent in HTML/CSS/Javascript, so I'm not entirely sure how I'd do that.

So the way I would do it is to make it appear in the place the character bio will appear (ie. below the bar of character buttons, not above). Then your normal "when someone clicks a character button, hide all the character bio boxes and then display the one for the character they just clicked on" code would handle everything.

With your current code, I think that would be putting something like this below your <div class="tab"></div> with all the buttons:
<div class="tabcontent active" style="display: block"><div class="genbox"><p>Click the character portraits for more information</p></div></div>
Pages: [1]