Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The Cat Came Back.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Introductions > The Cat Came Back.
Pages: [1]

"The Cat Came Back.", 25th Jun 2019, 2:28 AM #1
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Hello. It's been a long time, hasn't it.

Back in January, I put my second webcomic, Spider Pizza, on hiatus after a month of regular updates. While I'm proud of the work I was able to do, it was still too much effort to keep up, and I ended up burning out. It got to the point where I couldn't bring myself to draw anything, for fun or otherwise. Not even a doodle. So I took some time off, which despite taking longer than I anticipated, was sorely needed.

However, having failed to achieve my goals with this comic became a great source of shame for me, and … Well, I dropped out of the community. Completely. And yes, I know that wasn't rational, and I'm sure I hurt some of you as a result, but I just couldn't face you guys with this failure hanging over my head. I apologize for that. I'm especially sorry to Zero Hour, who suddenly found himself without a proofreader.

But things have been looking up in the last few months. I've finally been able to break my long streak of unemployment and land a part-time job as a consultant programmer. As a result, I have a renewed sense of purpose and self-worth. And my commute gives me a lot of time to think, so I shouldn't have been surprised when my thoughts kept turning to that project I abandoned not so long ago.

So I guess I can say I'm back. Not immediately back to making the comic, however. I know now that I cannot make this work alone. I can resume my writing and conceptual work, but I will not be able to handle the artwork for this project without setting myself up for failure again. I don't believe my job pays me enough to justify hiring an artist, but I can potentially offer my services as a colourist in exchange for pencils. I will need to figure out how to approach this at a later date.

Until then, I can work on the parts of the comic I'm actually able to do. I'll have plenty of work ahead of me planning the later chapters, writing the scripts, and drawing up model sheets. I've resolved to spend at least an hour each day on comic-related work. I'll also work to integrate myself into the community again, offering advice to fellow creators and maybe even doing some challenges. This story has been bubbling in my head for far too long for me to give up on it completely.

I hope to see more of you all soon. And again, I'm sorry.

— Sik
25th Jun 2019, 2:57 AM #2
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Good to see you back. Did you watch and like E3?
25th Jun 2019, 3:01 AM #3
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Thanks! And I did. I think you can guess which game I'm most excited for.
25th Jun 2019, 3:16 AM #4
Owlsy

Registration date: 21st Jan 2016
Welcome back!! Congrats on the job! Those sound like excellent goals :)
25th Jun 2019, 3:19 AM #5
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Animal Crossing. Hope you have fun with that one and get new ideas for your fancomic. I've got enough games on my old machines to last me a long time so I'm a happy camper. What's stumping me is streaming but those are first-world problems really. Best of luck also.
25th Jun 2019, 2:04 PM #6
Kyo
🐊
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
no need to apologize, welcome back!
25th Jun 2019, 3:15 PM #7
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
Hi
25th Jun 2019, 4:57 PM #8
Matt Comics
🏋️‍🎨𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖘𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊 𝕸𝖆𝖓 💅🏂
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
great to see you back! don't worry too much about hiatuses and stuff. it sucks, and I know that feeling, but if you're invested in your comic (and you definitely are), you'll manage to resume it sooner or later.

see you around :D
27th Jun 2019, 6:46 PM #9
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Glad to have you back! Missed ya!
27th Jun 2019, 8:53 PM #10
KarToon12

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2012
Nice to have you back! :D
28th Jun 2019, 2:57 PM #11
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Welcome back! that was a very open and honest post. I've been in a similar boat myself in a lot of ways, so I feel you. Nobody is paying you to make comics right? So do what you can and don't beat yourself up. It's hard in a community with such prolific creators to feel like you are measuring up, but we all have different lives, and different goals both in and out of comics. so you do you.
Forum > Introductions > The Cat Came Back.
Pages: [1]