Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Thirty Days of Plotcrafting

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Thirty Days of Plotcrafting
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [11]

13 days ago, 5:42 PM #61
megamaster

Registration date: 23rd Jul 2010
#04: What is the primary motivation of your protagonist? - Ignition
Torin really is just trying to find a place that he belongs. Being an orphan he can't shake the feeling of being neglected. He's never really had that sense of family. He will though!

#05: What is the primary motivation of your antagonist?
The motivation is the fear of not having control. The more they control the more secure they feel
13 days ago, 7:03 PM #62
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
If your story has an antagonist, what motivates them? If your story is Man vs. Society, what does society want? If Man vs. Self, what does the other half of the protagonist want?

..."Other half"? Is that how Man vs Self works?

Anyway, Mizuki perceives society as people taking advantage of her. She'll rescue her village from famine, she'll put on a good show, she'll be a good girlfriend - and when society has what it wants from her, it throws her out like yesterday's milk. And even though Mizuki should theoretically be cutting herself off from those sorts of people... she instead feeds into it, often putting her own health at risk, because she thinks doing all these things for other people is the way to find the love she's searching for.
13 days ago, 7:58 PM #63
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014

I always feel that the motivations of my villains are often rather... underdeveloped.

Dr. Ytterbium once flat out stated that her goal is taking over the world, because I couldn't think of anything more original on the fly.

Dr. Strontium never stated his goals so far, but it has quite probably something to do with accumulating power too.

Captain Camilla just enjoys being a pirate and hoarding treasure.

Dexter and Sinistra are thieves because this occupation is a proud family tradition.
13 days ago, 8:08 PM #64
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
snuffysam:..."Other half"? Is that how Man vs Self works?

Man vs Self conflicts are about someone struggling with their own nature. So there's a part of them that wants one thing, and part of them that wants another. A typical example is someone struggling with addiction - the protagonist part of the main character wants to be free of their addiction, and the antagonist part of the main character wants to get high.

Cases of literally fighting an evil twin or doppelganger or evil-parallel-universe copy are primarily Man vs Man conflicts.
13 days ago, 8:16 PM #65
snuffysam

GMan003:Man vs Self conflicts are about someone struggling with their own nature. So there's a part of them that wants one thing, and part of them that wants another. A typical example is someone struggling with addiction - the protagonist part of the main character wants to be free of their addiction, and the antagonist part of the main character wants to get high.

Cases of literally fighting an evil twin or doppelganger or evil-parallel-universe copy are primarily Man vs Man conflicts.

Ok, yeah, you meant a metaphorical "other half" in that post. I was confused by your wording for a second, lol.
13 days ago, 8:19 PM #66
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017

Rethe - Quash the magics that break reality and encourage the brainwashing and killing of children.
LtR - Make sure your family legacy isn't usurped by a dumb kid.
13 days ago, 9:31 PM #67
Wartooth
will never cave in to the enemy
Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
Still getting to the grit of the comic so a lot of this is spoilers. Here is what I can share...

#01: What is the elevator pitch for your story?
Monster hunters with conflicting ideals and varying experiences attempt to intercept a foretold event of death. What happens along the way challenges the characters' bonds, ideals and faiths.

#02: What is the overarching theme of your story?
Pursuit of belonging?

#03: What is the nature of your central conflict?
Man vs. Fate, I suppose. There is a lot more to this story than just Man vs. Beast

#04: What is the primary motivation of your protagonist?
The protagonists want dominance over the monsters that terrorize humanity. And safety from the ever-reaching clutches of hell.

Uhh... to be revealed in the next few pages. Stay tuned!
12 days ago, 12:09 AM #68
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012

There really isn't one. Everyone has their own mishaps and personal demons to deal with, but there's no walking embodiment of all their sorrows. The land of Xibalba has plenty of dangers for everyone, but those threats are often impartial.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
12 days ago, 12:50 AM #69
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
GMan003:And now we come to the obvious flip side to yesterday's question:

If your story has an antagonist, what motivates them? If your story is Man vs. Society, what does society want? If Man vs. Self, what does the other half of the protagonist want?

For UBERNATURA: It's different goals... Society wants to do whatever they want, which inherently is wrong... (Look at the News if ya wanna know what I mean, lol!) Most conflict is based on bad decisions, like literal vile choices that includes harming others... and doing anything that would allow one to become Superhuman, which is Man VS Man. On a somewhat darker note and spoilers, Empath has a rival which is completely opposite of him... the guy wants to have a perfectionist approach to changing the world and is rather ...lazy to to any work that comes with truly doing this, opposite of Empath's casually helping people when he can... It gets toxic as compared to most of the other conflicts...

For Adventurine: it's... at first, the Legendary wizard-Barry Farhter. His mana is incredible, but any usage would allow his would be kidnappers to be ale to hack into his his magical abilities and take him. This along with physically attacking him, would alllow the criminal to render him a vegetable and drain off his seemingly limitless supply of mana... Later, the antagonists' goals change to taking the corpse of a demon possessed warlock. The demon doesn't let the body rot and be destroyed, so the protagonists are currently looking into how to do this... unfortunately, this brings in more villains who want to extract the power. And, major spoilers: the demon itself just wants to torture everybody he can, for fun!!!

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
12 days ago, 2:22 AM #70
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Question 5: Antagonist's Motivation

12 days ago, 11:19 AM #71
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
4: She just wants to help her friends even if it means putting her own life at risk.

5: I could say....but that would be spoilers. And it would depend on the antagonist.
12 days ago, 4:25 PM #72
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
We now know what both protagonist and antagonist are motivated by, so the next question combines the two:

#06: Why can the core conflict not be resolved easily?
What prevents the story from wrapping itself up in a few pages? What makes the opposing sides' goals not just different, by irreconcilable?

My answer:
The protagonist and antagonist disagree on the principle of freedom. The protagonist wants people to be happy, and sees freedom as inherently part of that. The antagonist wants people to be orderly, and sees freedom as directly opposed to that, and is unwilling to compromise in any way.
12 days ago, 4:30 PM #73
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017

The Adventures of Sir Power
Because despite all the reality breking ability he has, Power can't change mindsets of other people, and everyone has kill or be killed mentality,

Melnacholy
The whole point it's Steven fighting depression and looking for his place in life, and it just can't be done quickly.
12 days ago, 5:24 PM #74
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018

Again, obsessed audience + greedy corporates/stockholders + imbalanced economy + social norms = no peace
12 days ago, 5:32 PM #75
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018

Well, there's a lot of monsters. And some don't willingly die. Bogeymen will simply respawn, and some vampires undergo a dark magic ritual that causes them to transfer into a recently-deceased person upon death of the body (which is why Dracula never really dies).

There's also Stetson's refusal to stay out of the world of the supernatural. She feels that she has to fight. Monster out of her league? Gotta kick its ass. Busted ankle? Gotta try. She ultimately does more to harm her sanity than any monster she meets does.
12 days ago, 5:50 PM #76
snuffysam

Because Mizuki doesn't see an alternative to the way she's always done things, and because nobody Mizuki meets is willing to offer one.
12 days ago, 6:32 PM #77
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
5 What is the primary motivation of your antagonist?
Ginari wants the plant-people dead
Her boss says they are very useful and wants them alive and present
They'll get into that, later

6 Why can the core conflict not be resolved easily?
There's too many red flags for the flowers to want to join the group of fellow humanoids. A lot of hesitation with joining anyone. Just be loners.
12 days ago, 7:43 PM #78
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
There will always be cryptids to in some way take care of.
Also, there will always be people with conflicting interests e.g. wanting to get specific artifacts into their hands.
12 days ago, 8:22 PM #79
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012

You know how an alcoholic or a drug user might say they don't have a problem? The concept applies to lesser level problems, too. Being unmotivated, lack of confidence, carelessness, etc. Fixing a personal problem might look easy on paper, but for the person who must ultimately be the resolver and doesn't think the problem can be address or is worth addressing, it's a mountain to climb. And even if they climb, they worry about falling off. Many people are afraid of failure, so they exist in an imaginary protective blanket composed of their own apathy.

In the comic, Karolina has only now come around to the idea of making something of herself instead of living stagnant in an ambiguous/wicked past. She never really considered her personal stagnation, lack of worldliness, or limited understanding as a negative thing until she met Bali.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
12 days ago, 8:23 PM #80
DiggityDogDingo

Registration date: 24th Apr 2019
(Hope it's not frowned upon to hop into these once they've already started)

#01: What is the elevator pitch for your story?

Slice of life following eight retired unwilling super soldiers and what they've been up to for the last 60 years. Directed by John Carpenter and music by Tangerine Dream. Alternatively, Saving Private Ryan with Guardians of the Galaxy's soundtrack.

#02: What is the overarching theme of your story?

Choices. There's always a choice to be made and they don't always make you the hero in your own story. Can you grow enough to realize that sometimes there's not a right answer and there's only the answer that allows you to move forward. Secondarily, Humanity and the journey to regaining it.

#03: What is the nature of your central conflict?

I would say that Man vs. Self describes my story best. There's a fair amount of internal struggle in my main characters and how they choose to deal with traumatic events.

#04: What is the primary motivation of your protagonist?

My main characters would like to move on. They fought their war and are attempting to return to some sense of normalcy and make sense of their choices.

My antagonist wants to be remembered. He wants to go down as one of the great scientific minds of his time, and is single minded chasing that goal. He's afraid of obscurity, and of his own limitations.

There's a conflict of interest between what the main characters want, and what they're afraid will happen should they be found out. They are pretty unified in agreement about taking their secret to the grave, but the international community has other ideas. The eight don't want to be seen as what they are, they'd much prefer to move along and pretend it never happened.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Thirty Days of Plotcrafting
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [11]