Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Thirty Days of Plotcrafting

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Thirty Days of Plotcrafting
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11]

12 days ago, 9:30 PM #81
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
6: The characters are not aware of the main conflict since the villain has kept it hidden for a while. Events throughout the will slowly reveal.
11 days ago, 2:26 AM #82
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015
5. Possible spoiler

11 days ago, 3:33 AM #83
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Question 6: Core conflict complications

Super big spoiler below:

11 days ago, 4:14 AM #84
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
GMan003:We now know what both protagonist and antagonist are motivated by, so the next question combines the two:

#06: Why can the core conflict not be resolved easily?
What prevents the story from wrapping itself up in a few pages? What makes the opposing sides' goals not just different, by irreconcilable?

For UBERNATURA: The story doesn't exactly follow plot where it could be immediately resolved, even in a what-if circumstance... at least at first. Despite the occult, cults and other creepy humans and creatures that want power: nothing happens (think of it as in real life, bad stuff happens but not to everybody at the same time...) until Empath turns Superhuman. THEN everybody amps up their efforts to become one, what's keeping this from STILL being a deadly/one sided thing is: them not knowing about the main characters, how they turned Superhuman, all their inhuman deeds HAVE to be kept in secret via the government, and everybody has evolutionary-powers/a conscious heroic effort by the majority of Earth's population could stop their dark advances. (At the same time, most of the villains and supervillains are nearly Superhuman themselves which helps balance things in their favor, too)
Long-Story-Short: both sides are potentially apocalyptically-dangerous and the villains are using manipulation to gain their power, so... the innocents, main-characters and villains are being used, trying to keep the peace and being sneaky AF, respectively.

For Adventurine: What's keeping the plot going on and on... The mages of Novae Astrus are mostly morally good POWERFUL wizards, and every enemy they face is obsessed with stealing the corpse they're attempting to destroy. They're differences are the students are trying to exorcise and destroy the demon, while they want his power. what keeps it either side from getting their way, immediately, is that there's few Novae Astrus students with a murderous mentality already, and the most of the villains are overpowered warlocks and witchdoctors.

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
11 days ago, 7:41 PM #85
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
#07: What information about the story did you establish in the very first page?
Building your characters, setting, and story starts from the very beginning. What did you deem most important, or most urgent, to deserve being in the opening scene? What information got this priority - and what less-important stuff came along with it?

My answer:
I haven't actually written the script for it, and it's not a page-based medium, but I have fairly solid ideas of the opening scene. The most obvious focus will be setting up the initial plot hook ("go rescue the princess!"), but the most important thing to impart is that the protagonist does not work alone, they need to work with a group to be effective. Simply because I can't not show it, it will also set the general backdrop of a medieval-fantasy setting, and I'm sure I'll find some good way to show the manner and scope of the protagonist's powers.
11 days ago, 7:59 PM #86
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
What information about the story did you establish in the very first page?

For UBERNATURA: Empath explains it's the future and that mankind's nature hasn't changed, while their bodies and minds have... I deemed it most urgent tor explain that human beings have evolved to explain why people have powers. And that the world is exactly as it is now, people haven't changed. So the setting of this is basically real-life if people had powers, and that Empath will normally talk to you-the reader/break the 4th wall normally is explained in the 1st page.

For Adventurine: ...Would the cover art be considered the first page? It has a picture of the protagonist: Aventurine, along with a demon circle and/or pentagram behind it. Alternatively, the first page of the ACTUAL comic story... Is a scroll: the very first panel simply shows the magic schoolbus landing and Aventurine leaving it's house...
Alternatively, IF the scroll's consider a page: It shows a typical day in Novae Astrus… Aventurine gets into life or death battles with its bully. The mage-students are happy, the teachers are nice and Aventurine is the only one who seems upset through the entire thing, even after making one more friend... (Something it seems it need sto make more of...)

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
11 days ago, 8:15 PM #87
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014

Not counting Chapter 1's cover, the first page has Tarik (one of the main protagonists) and a rat (because Chapter 1 was about a rat-based cryptid).
Besides that, proper establishment of the setting and the premise doesn't happen until the third page.
11 days ago, 8:18 PM #88
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018

A badly drawn, weirdly non-refined anatomically rear legs (even after re-edit).

Jokes aside, the anticipation. The upcoming thrills slowly unveiling, the pinch of what's to come.
11 days ago, 8:38 PM #89
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017

The Adventures of Sir Power
Not counting cover, the first page of the first chapter establishes that Power is a knight, the only one and the strongest in the Kingdom, that creatures such as dragons exist, that Power rides a horse(?), and that Power is freakishly strong and doesn't shy away from killing. It establishes both the comedic main tone and the creepy undertones.

Melancholy
It establishes that action is happening on another plantet that is called Water, because it's 70% earth and that humans here have a special ability caled Potential, that are basically superpower that can range from godlike to useless. It establishes that no one knows the origin of Potentials and a sence of mystery overall.
11 days ago, 8:58 PM #90
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018

...Actually, the first page wouldn't sell that much. It'd feature Alexi at her desk, after falling asleep studying, when her phone rings.

The following pages show the dynamic between housemates. Alexi is the responsible one, Stetson (whom Alexi calls by her real name, Chris) is the wild one who goes to bars to get completely smashed and plans monster hunting trips during inebriated periods. And ropes Alexi into them. And can easily access Alexi's room. Which, the way I described it, sounds kinda creepy. And honestly, it kinda is - though Stetson does respect boundaries sober.

Cue the chapter cover.

But the first page is slow, and reveals nothing.
11 days ago, 9:11 PM #91
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014

If we're talking the cover of the comic - the main character, a major recurring antagonist, and the color palette.

If we're talking the first actual page - we see an establishing shot of a forest and a booth with the Giduli Royal Army logo, a character wearing a modern outfit who seemingly doesn't have eyes, that same character reading a magazine, and a character in a tunic ringing a bell. The tunic, forest, and spear usage all seem to imply that this takes place in the past, but the magazine and metal bell go against that notion. We know this story will have some sort of military presence. The fact that a character is reading a normal magazine without any eyes is an indication that things aren't always as they seem in this world.
11 days ago, 10:58 PM #92
SarahSophia
in the top percentile of cool kidz
Registration date: 30th Oct 2015

My first page establishes one: the location, and two:
10 days ago, 2:36 AM #93
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012

The first page mainly gives a brief run down on the world and tells about one the story's protagonists.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
10 days ago, 2:46 AM #94
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Question 7: The First Page

No point in using spoiler tags here. Look at the page here and see how many of these points you can infer:

— The characters are cute funny animals. The situations they find themselves in are decidedly not cute, but still somewhat funny.
— The comic contains profanity and violence. (The very first word of the comic is literally "Shit".)
— The setting is modern, or at least modern enough for pool noodles to be a thing, but contains magic. Mystery is an important element of the story.
— Characters not wearing pants is considered normal.
— Dialogue balloons are set below the image, in a text-message-like style. Colours and text labels are used to denote characters.
— There are two living characters in the scene, "boy" and "old man". Both are professional killers. One is unseen. They have a close mentor-student relationship.
— "Boy" has a second job and a girlfriend, the latter of which "old man" disapproves of. He somehow killed the victim using fire, despite the victim having been killed beside a swimming pool with no obvious sources of flame nearby.
— "Old man" is a veteran killer. Judging by the colour of his text box, he is presumably the chinchilla in the suit jacket. He wants "boy" to replace him one day, but is worried that his priorities are skewed.
— The victim, "Pollack", is some manner of white bird. He is likely the owner of the house where the killing took place, which from appearances marks him as well off. We don't yet know why he was targetted. He might have a child.
— A large eye-shaped mark adorns the glowing sheet "old man" throws over his victim. While meaningless in itself, the prominent usage of this same mark in the site design implies these characters will be important to the story going forward.
10 days ago, 5:01 AM #95
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
7 What information about the story did you establish in the very first page?

Heh, I recently drew a new first-page since my intro makes me cringe and showed you next-to-nothing. :/

I believe it establishes that there's a strangely pale protagonist that's got some fascination with normal kids just being kids as if she's unfamiliar with them, yet she's timid and does not want to be discovered.
The kids joke about a forest ghost, which I HOPE gives readers enough of a hint that she's been spotted in the past and mistaken for a ghost haunting the forest. Overall, you should figure that this character and her friend feel at home, or possibly live, in the forest. And the setting is folksy
10 days ago, 11:22 AM #96
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
#04: What is the primary motivation of your protagonist?

Beyond: To not die, and to hold out on letting the other pirates know how to obtain immortality.

S&S: Most of them just want to get on with their lives, get by as well as they can and not be arrested. Nanette... Well I suppose she's got a bit of a 'where is my place in life' disney princess thing going on XD

---
The Rose Thief: To become human again, to go home, and to save her father, respectively.

#05: What is the primary motivation of your antagonist?

Beyond: To gain immortality, to also not die. Bit of revenge thrown in there.

S&S: To keep hold of power.

---
The Rose Thief: To break the beast down until he agrees to marriage.

#06: Why can the core conflict not be resolved easily?

Beyond: Everybody knows there's no hope of getting Seb to speak whilst still at sea. So until they reach Goshenia, there's a lot of tension.

S&S: No one really knows anything's wrong at the moment. And finding out will be a slow and gradual process. After that, well. It won't be an easy thing, that's all I'll say.

---
The Rose Thief: The beast's afraid to let anyone find out about him, so he's reluctant to let anyone leave who's seen him.

Beyond: It's set in vaguely piratey times, by the sea. The main character works with fish.

S&S: This is for the reboot we're working on: That Genevieve is a prostitute and has a hard life. She's not treated very well by her clients. Also that this is an illustrated novel, not a comic, and it's about people who look a bit like elves.

---
The Rose Thief: That it's a retelling of Beauty and The Beast, but in this version 'beauty' only has one sister who isn't villainous. Also there's something ominous going on with water.
10 days ago, 1:17 PM #97
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
7. Nothing big. Just a shot of an excited Arie on a bus about to arrive at her new home. I felt this gave

a glimpse as to how she is as a person and set up that she's new to town.
10 days ago, 3:50 PM #98
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
Now that we've gotten a lot of the basic questions out of the way, we can start delving a bit deeper.

#08: At what point in the story does the reader understand the central conflict? What holds their interest until then?
Some stories start off slower, or more mysteriously, than others. At what point do you expect the reader to know what the big conflict really is?

My answer:
My story kind of does a fake-out. There's a reveal in the second installment (but guessable in the first) that certainly seems like it will be the primary conflict. But it gets overtaken by the antagonist introduced in the third act, who is a much more urgent threat and the proper main conflict of the game. So it's not until halfway through the third act that the player *really* knows what the central conflict is, but they had pieces of it a lot earlier.
As for holding audience interest, the narrative is sort of episodic. There's short conflicts in every chapter, to provide short-term incentive to keep with it, much like a TV series with an overarching plot but episodes that just do their own thing. And of course, the gameplay is itself rewarding, one of the advantages of working in the medium of video games.
10 days ago, 4:01 PM #99
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
#08: At what point in the story does the reader understand the central conflict? What holds their interest until then?

The Adventures of Sir Power
As for overarching conflict, it's supposed to be kinda hidden, but in individual chapters it's clearly defined in the first pages. As for what holds interes it's the over the top comedy and weird action.

Melancholy
It's implied extremely heavily on the second page of the comic so I guess there is no need to wait?
10 days ago, 4:40 PM #100
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
#08: At what point in the story does the reader understand the central conflict?

Like I hinted in my answer to the last question, in page 3 we get an exposition dump to what cryptids are.
Three pages later, we learn that's apparently the protagonists' job to not only study them, but also to catch cryptids if they cause trouble.
And finally, at the end of Chapter 1, we get the first hint that there may also be human antagonists out there.

What holds their interest until then?

The first part of the chapter is all about introducing the main characters.
The second part has FIGHT with a SEA SERPENT!