Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Help with free coloring programs.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Help with free coloring programs.
Pages: [1]

"Help with free coloring programs.", 11 days ago, 5:41 PM #1
Abbeysvault

Registration date: 11 days ago
I hope this is the right thread to post in.

I'd like to get some help. I've drew up the pages for my comic irl and scanned them in and now I want to color them in. There's a few programs I know about like photoshop and manga studio but I'd also be interested in what other people on here use and what they recommend for a newbie like me.

I never really dabbled in digital work before (except in paint lol) and I'm new to webcomics. It's something I always wanted to do and now I'm jumping in! This place seems cool. Can't wait to start posting once I have the site looking good.

I'm Abbey by the way. Nice to meet you. :)
11 days ago, 5:53 PM #2
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Remember: Advanced drawing programs have LAYERS.

Layers are a good leverage, for coloring outlines much easier, especially underneath it.

Make sure, your scans are 300 pixel resolution, since typically comics are drawn at A3 format 300 pixel/inch resolution.
11 days ago, 6:00 PM #3
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
Abbeysvault:I hope this is the right thread to post in.

I'd like to get some help. I've drew up the pages for my comic irl and scanned them in and now I want to color them in. There's a few programs I know about like photoshop and manga studio but I'd also be interested in what other people on here use and what they recommend for a newbie like me.

I never really dabbled in digital work before (except in paint lol) and I'm new to webcomics. It's something I always wanted to do and now I'm jumping in! This place seems cool. Can't wait to start posting once I have the site looking good.

I'm Abbey by the way. Nice to meet you. :)

Oh, hey, I posted something like this when I was new, too!

The results lead to GIMP. Even though I haven't colored a comic with it yet, you use Threshold to get the line work, fill in any gaps, and then color.
11 days ago, 6:19 PM #4
Alibeastly

Registration date: 1st Nov 2014
I always recommend Krita for colouring, it’s a great program! Also clip studio and paint tool sai usually go on sale for super cheap every once in a while.
11 days ago, 6:27 PM #5
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I use Krita for this. Here’s what I do
-once I have the art open, use Image>Levels to clean up
-Use the eraser to clean up more (remember you can undo)
-Set the layer to multiply
-Use a layer underneath to color (personally I do one layer for background, one for foreground)

Don’t forget how helpful undo is! Also, for shading
-You can use a multiply layer
-don’t overblend or use spray paint brushes to shade
-use colors to shade, not dodge and burn
11 days ago, 6:28 PM #6
Abbeysvault

TheStrangerous:Remember: Advanced drawing programs have LAYERS.

Layers are a good leverage, for coloring outlines much easier, especially underneath it.

Make sure, your scans are 300 pixel resolution, since typically comics are drawn at A3 format 300 pixel/inch resolution.

Ha ha good one!

Yes! I remember watching some tutorials before and them talking about layers. I'll keep that in mind. Luckily I've scanned my pics in a 300 pixel res already. Phew! Hate to have to do that again!!

Jeremy7:Oh, hey, I posted something like this when I was new, too!

The results lead to GIMP. Even though I haven't colored a comic with it yet, you use Threshold to get the line work, fill in any gaps, and then color.

Never heard of that one but I'll keep it in mind thanks :)

Alibeastly:I always recommend Krita for colouring, it’s a great program! Also clip studio and paint tool sai usually go on sale for super cheap every once in a while.

Thanks for answering. I'll look up those too. If I can get a free one it would be great but I'll take a cheap program also.

swamp:I use Krita for this. Here’s what I do
-once I have the art open, use Image>Levels to clean up
-Use the eraser to clean up more (remember you can undo)
-Set the layer to multiply
-Use a layer underneath to color (personally I do one layer for background, one for foreground)

Don’t forget how helpful undo is! Also, for shading
-You can use a multiply layer
-don’t overblend or use spray paint brushes to shade
-use colors to shade, not dodge and burn

Ok. This is great stuff. If I go with Krita I'll be keeping this in mind. I'll be deffo experimenting with things once I get up and going. Luckily I've got the drawing out of the way. Thank you!
11 days ago, 8:23 PM #7
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
FireAlpaca is great for newbies, lightweight, has templates for comics, and totally free: https://firealpaca.com/
10 days ago, 1:49 AM #8
Lt. Locust

Registration date: 10th Mar 2013
Welcome, Abbey!

I go back and forth between 2 programs, Adobe Photoshop (but you normally need to pay for that) and Fire Alpaca. So that's 2 votes for Fire Alpaca!

If you're getting into using layers, I want to give you 2 words of advice - always double-check what layer you have selected before you start colouring!! Omg I've accidentally coloured on the wrong layer so many times!

And always keep a backup of your picture. When you go to upload your art, some places don't support layered documents or big documents, so you need to save it with a different filename (like .png, for example), and maybe shrink the image size down to a more managable file size. Just remember to always keep your original document that you worked on in case you ever want to go back and make changes!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
10 days ago, 2:13 AM #9
Abbeysvault

Thank you!

Fire Alpaca is looking like a great contender with a great price ;)

That looks to be some sound advice Lt. Locust. I'll try to remember that when I'm working eeep!

So when it comes to shrinking the image down, what's the best size? I've checked out a few comics on here just for examples and there's quite a variety. Also, would I be better off keeping the images at 300 revolution or making that smaller. I know that a lot of web images are at 72. I'm sure those options will be available in most of these art programs right?

Thank you again everyone.
10 days ago, 10:10 AM #10
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
Surprised no one's mentioned Medibang Paint, since I first heard of it here in the CF forums.

It's not perfect, but it has some nice features.
10 days ago, 12:32 PM #11
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Does MediBang have a lot of ads? FireAlpaca and MediBang are essentially the same codebase, from what I've heard.

Abbeysvault:Also, would I be better off keeping the images at 300 revolution or making that smaller. I know that a lot of web images are at 72. I'm sure those options will be available in most of these art programs right?

Abbey, don't worry about DPI unless you want to print, and then it's 300 DPI or more all the time. Web comics are all about pixel dimensions, not ink dots, so DPI doesn't work on the web (because pixel density varies on every screen). Your web comics should be about 900 pixels wide.
10 days ago, 11:02 PM #12
Abbeysvault

Thanks Robotwin :)

I'll make sure to stay around the 900pxl mark. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot before I get started!!

@KAM I'll give that a look too!

Thank you everyone. You've been really helpful.
9 days ago, 9:33 AM #13
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
Robotwin.com:Does MediBang have a lot of ads?

When I open up the program I get two pop-up windows, the first does have an ad or, once in a while, a promotion for a Medibang event. Oddly enough this window has been coming up blank recently, but maybe that's because of the computer's ad blocker?

The second window is a sign in window but also has links to how-tos or Medibang downloads and sometimes promos for events linked to Medibang.
Pages: [1]