Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Critique the critic! How'd this test page turn out?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Critique the critic! How'd this test page turn out?
Pages: [1]

"Critique the critic! How'd this test page turn out?", 5 days ago, 11:58 PM #1
halibabica
lost more booties than you ever had
Registration date: 18th Jan 2014
I tried a new thing recently to see how well it works. I normally draw traditionally and edit digitally to smooth things out. This time, I sketched traditionally and drew in the lines digitally. Only the speech bubbles and gutters were inked. Tell me how it turned out! It can be specific or general; I don't mind!

Here's the page. It's okay if you don't know the references (I'd be astonished if you did):

And here's the last page I drew before this for comparison:

As before, any thoughts and advice are welcome.
4 days ago, 12:10 PM #2
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
Hmmmm... to me the first one seems a bit more cartoon like than the second. However, they both have a similar look. You could probably get away with doing it either way and it still look good.
4 days ago, 1:40 PM #3
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
I already have a bias because I love ddlc but I'll be honest I don't see much difference between the two comics. The speech bubbles are ever so slightly smoother in the first one. I'd say continue with which ever is easier!
4 days ago, 1:59 PM #4
Lt. Locust

Registration date: 10th Mar 2013
halibabica:I tried a new thing recently to see how well it works. I normally draw traditionally and edit digitally to smooth things out. This time, I sketched traditionally and drew in the lines digitally. Only the speech bubbles and gutters were inked. Tell me how it turned out! It can be specific or general; I don't mind!

Here's the page. It's okay if you don't know the references (I'd be astonished if you did):

And here's the last page I drew before this for comparison:

As before, any thoughts and advice are welcome.

I was looking back and forth between the two comics, and I was really struggling to see any major differences. Usually there's a massive difference in style (there definitely is for me!!), but I honestly can't see anything. If you didn't tell me which one was digital and which one was traditional, I wouldn't know.
4 days ago, 3:29 PM #5
halibabica
lost more booties than you ever had
Registration date: 18th Jan 2014
That may actually be a good thing. I'm pretty happy with my art style and just trying to up its production value, so a non-major shift might be best.

I should've been a lot more bold with the perspectives on the test page. I was more trying out the approach than the actual application of it. Changing brush size in Photoshop makes line weight significantly easier to manage, and it would help for panels like the way-zoomed-out one in the 2nd page. My normal pen only draws one size of line, so small details are hard to add.

Apart from that, the 2nd page is slightly fuzzier and more crooked than the digital page. It's hard to tell because my comics get squashed to 37.5% of their original size, so the roughness is mitigated, but still noticeable in some places.

Still, to you and others, thanks for your input so far! Feel free to mention anything else that seems weird, wrong, could be better, etc.
Pages: [1]