Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Accidental meaning or artistic subconscious?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Accidental meaning or artistic subconscious?
Pages: [1]

"Accidental meaning or artistic subconscious?", 6 days ago, 8:02 PM #1
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Is it possible to create a metaphorical hidden meaning in your work, without realizing it?

Recently in my comic:

6 days ago, 8:24 PM #2
ratt
and who could forget dear ratboy
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
i mean other people see things in art that the artist never intended all the time right?

i don't see how, once an idea has had time to marinade for a while, that you couldn't be able to broaden the initial connections you'd made between things
6 days ago, 9:00 PM #3
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
For me, it's without realization: a lot of stuff I did before had a hint of sarcasm, stuff you'd expect or wouldn't expect would have a strange or dark result.

..Like Ratt said though, people see things differently. What artist intended could look
different to someone else. There's been many times I tried bouncing ideas
of my sis before, and she'd see stuff as "pffft" or if something seemed to dark
she'd say to go along with it. ..Maybe the one instance she showed hesitation, is
when went too far into a religious concept with same sarcasm I normally did back then...

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
6 days ago, 9:00 PM #4
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
yeah interpretations can just... happen with anything, anytime, regardless of the original intent or lack thereof.

it happens to me all the time. once I realize what I've done, I either make the funny situation/meaning/connection explicit if I like it, or make sure to invalidate it if I don't like it.
6 days ago, 9:26 PM #5
Kokoneos

Registration date: 27th Jun 2015
Yes! It's kind of a- let the story tell itself thing.

There was this book I read- and there was a discussion about the process of writing and they said that you know you've brought a character to life when they start doing things that you didn't want them to. Like you want to write a scene where they kill someone and you can't write it because you can almost feel that character protesting.

I've started to wonder if while you're writing/drawing your brain doesn't slip into some sort of dream state? If by day-dreaming you're basically working with the subconscious part of your brain that creates your dreams? Or if it's similar to personality disassociation where rather than becoming the alternate personality, your brain just simulates their existence for you while you work?

It'd be cool to see if anyone has done any research on this?
6 days ago, 9:41 PM #6
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
Seems to be a case of imaginary friend or TULPA.
6 days ago, 9:52 PM #7
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I've done this in my plans. Originally I included skeletons and touches of magic because it was fun, why not. There was no deeper meaning intended at first.

Then as I wrote out Beyond and planned future works set in the past, I realised that what I'd come up with was actually full of allegories for such happy fun things as racism, colonialism, slavery and genocide. To the point where if it had been intentional, I would not exactly call it subtle. I've decided to keep that as a part of this world, and incorporate those themes intentionally, though only a very small part of it will come up in Beyond.
6 days ago, 10:11 PM #8
Abbeysvault

Registration date: 8 days ago
I haven't started posting my comic yet and it's a pretty simps concept but yes I do think a little of our subconscious seeps in to our work and I take mine very seriously!

I haven't done too much digital but with some of my traditional work I've showed my friends, they interpreted things that I certainly wasn't expecting but on reflection kind of made sense.

On the other hand I also think that sometimes it can be an accident and that your intent as the creator matters too. We can pick up things just through cultural osmosis and that stuff can just make its way in even if you didn't intend it to. But that's what makes the creative process so fascinating to me!
6 days ago, 10:30 PM #9
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Kokoneos:There was this book I read- and there was a discussion about the process of writing and they said that you know you've brought a character to life when they start doing things that you didn't want them to. Like you want to write a scene where they kill someone and you can't write it because you can almost feel that character protesting.

Yep. I've had this happen where your character starts to take on a life of their own and you constantly start seeing things from their point of view and moral compass. I think that's where the magic starts to happen.
6 days ago, 10:33 PM #10
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Kokoneos:Yes! It's kind of a- let the story tell itself thing.

There was this book I read- and there was a discussion about the process of writing and they said that you know you've brought a character to life when they start doing things that you didn't want them to. Like you want to write a scene where they kill someone and you can't write it because you can almost feel that character protesting.

It'd be cool to see if anyone has done any research on this?

I experienced something like this: there's plenty of scenes I'd wrote... but the characters would say: they didn't want to do something a certain way, they wouldn't say this and/or they wouldn't be in this situation.. I ended up rewriting a lot of stuff, especially when it bothers me for days after I think something's written perfectly..

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Accidental meaning or artistic subconscious?
Pages: [1]