Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Alternating Mindsets

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Alternating Mindsets
Pages: [1] [2]

"Alternating Mindsets", 29th Jul 2019, 4:24 AM #1
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
As th title says: have you had trouble with switching between projects and ideas?

Especially in the scenario where you start something with passion and FIRE then... you have to stop abruptly.. and coming back later's really hard to put up with. You WANT to do it, but getting the mindset back's hard when you alternated so much for so pong...

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

29th Jul 2019, 5:01 AM #2
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Passion without execution is nothing to exalt.

So don't stop, because the world doesn't care about "reasons".
29th Jul 2019, 7:31 AM #3
TheStrangerous

Registration date: 12th Jun 2018
I tried drawing random skit stuff, heck even those involving my barely used internet avatar/mascot.
But recently I can't get rid of "One more comic page." mindset...

I'm stuck in a purgatory, pretty much.
29th Jul 2019, 3:14 PM #4
CrosEL

Thanks Lirvilas, though: I think that went over my head..

Do you mean to keep going forward with passion and to not worry about the mindsets of others, that
may have impeded on going back to something one was once excited for
?

Merged Doublepost:

TheStrangerous:

I'm stuck in a purgatory, pretty much.

A way to get out of purgatory, is to make a spinoff from something you're currently doing:
I did that and now the thing has a life of it's own, despite it solely being made as a example!

(It's not on Comic Fury though, even though I'm considering it: this site's FAR more stable than Wattpad is..)

29th Jul 2019, 4:53 PM #5
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
The only thing impeding me is real life. You'll need to be in a certain position or make key choices to be able to move forward from that obstacle.
30th Jul 2019, 1:38 AM #6
CrosEL

E-hero Vulven:The only thing impeding me is real life.

This is a perfect phrase for many if not all artist who either dont have time for their passion or have trouble switching between stuff.

(Seriously, real life is affecting how a few things come out..)

30th Jul 2019, 1:47 AM #7
Kokoneos

Registration date: 27th Jun 2015
I associate music to each of my projects so each have a playlist of their own!
Just by listening to the right music I'm right where I need to be!
30th Jul 2019, 4:09 AM #8
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
you know what never mind

Edit: yeah I don’t really think I should be handing out advice
30th Jul 2019, 4:53 AM #9
CrosEL

Kokoneos:I associate music to each of my projects so each have a playlist of their own!
Just by listening to the right music I'm right where I need to be!

I'll try it, because even now: my mind's everywhere else.. It's always a surprise when something gets done in anyways like it was originally envisioned, now...

Merged Doublepost:

lirvilas:you know what never mind

Wait, in all seriousness: it sounds like something I NEED to understand
but, my head's been going everywhere as of late.
Is there a different way to explain it?

2nd Aug 2019, 4:16 AM #10
Fruity20

Registration date: 20th Jul 2019
CrosEL:As th title says: have you had trouble with switching between projects and ideas?

Especially in the scenario where you start something with passion and FIRE then... you have to stop abruptly.. and coming back later's really hard to put up with. You WANT to do it, but getting the mindset back's hard when you alternated so much for so pong...

Happens to me quite often. It seems to kinda kick in when I pitch an idea then I jsut stop what am doing and not bothering actually doing the project.
2nd Aug 2019, 4:44 PM #11
CrosEL

Well completely stopping something would mess with your mindset: your subconscious
must've thought "it wasn't important" and got rid of it...?

My problem also expands in a similar way to what you mentioned: Having a
idea, "then trying to make it make sense to others" usually takes a while for
me and the original excitement's nearly killed from too much time between conception
and execution. AND... overall events and people I'm forced to be around..

2nd Aug 2019, 8:34 PM #12
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
The initial excitement for an idea won't sustain you for long. It's maybe addictive like cocaine. So you're always looking for a fix by going from one thing to the next.

Like Thomas Edison said, "Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."
2nd Aug 2019, 10:10 PM #13
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Ok lemme take another shot at this:

Understand what you value in this life, and set your priorities in accordance. Everything else must fall out of that.

Simple but not easy.
3rd Aug 2019, 1:17 AM #14
CrosEL

Robotwin.com:The initial excitement for an idea won't sustain you for long. It's maybe addictive like cocaine. So you're always looking for a fix by going from one thing to the next.

Like Thomas Edison said, "Genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."

That explains ALOT!

Merged Doublepost:

lirvilas:

Understand what you value in this life, and set your priorities in accordance. Everything else must fall out of that.

Simple but not easy.

I get it. And ironically: I KNOW what I want, it's trickled in alot of stuff I'm
writing/drawing...

Next Epiphany I get, I'm starting it/the idea right away.

3rd Aug 2019, 4:41 PM #15
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Not everything you write has to fit in a 500-page novel. If you have lots of ideas, and not enough emotional and financial support or attention span at this point in your life, maybe it's better to write short stories. If short stories are too long, then write vignettes.

Plenty of famous authors honed their skills on smaller projects when they started out. When you get more mature or independent, then you can focus on longer projects.

If passion and excitement are what you need to keep going, then consider that's something you do, not something you have. In other words, psyche yourself up with your self-talk, posture, body language and behavior. The actual chore of writing isn't conducive to good posture, sitting hunched over a keyboard or whatever, so that may alter your emotional state. So you gotta take breaks and raise your arms up and jump up and down and shout. Natural exercises can make you feel revved up, because the body's endocrine system is actually full of drugs, like adrenaline and dopamine. People need hugs too, because that releases healthy hormones, so find someone to hug.
3rd Aug 2019, 4:52 PM #16
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
With webcomics its one of the few things I luckily rarely have to motivate or amp myself up for, its actually a sort of passion project I feel compelled to do whenever Im not doing anything else lol. If you don’t got that weird compulsion for doing it for its own sake id say definitely a lot of good advice has been given, I like the short story one, you can even do one shots. Im working on a horror one shot for fun.
4th Aug 2019, 12:30 PM #17
CrosEL

Sovember:With webcomics its one of the few things I luckily rarely have to motivate or amp myself up for, its actually a sort of passion project I feel compelled to do whenever Im not doing anything else lol. If you don’t got that weird compulsion for doing it for its own sake

Wait, I didn't explain it right... I feel what you mean, it's just.. how I used to write (books not comics) has a entirely different feel to what I'm doing now. Something I wrote a few years ago as compared to UBERNATURA feel much different: it's still very exciting to go back to, but getting the right mindset to write something that goes into it/similar to that way of writing, is hard to do now..

Sovember: I like the short story one, you can even do one shots. Im working on a horror one shot for fun.

Me too! I'm doing a quick thing on Watt Amino now, so far it's KINDA helping with alternating mindsets. It's a quick reference to older stories but with the feel of current stuff, right now..

Merged Doublepost:

Robotwin.com:

If passion and excitement are what you need to keep going, then consider that's something you do, not something you have. In other words, psyche yourself up with your self-talk, posture, body language and behavior. The actual chore of writing isn't conducive to good posture, sitting hunched over a keyboard or whatever, so that may alter your emotional state. So you gotta take breaks and raise your arms up and jump up and down and shout. Natural exercises can make you feel revved up, because the body's endocrine system is actually full of drugs, like adrenaline and dopamine. People need hugs too, because that releases healthy hormones, so find someone to hug.

Thanks for this, yeah: my emotions are little ...um... I'm unsure other than knowing something's very wrong. Getting back into the older story shouldn't be hard at all to do..

Maybe I'll increase the exercise regime I do.. horrifically, there's no one to hug, though... :(

4th Aug 2019, 4:20 PM #18
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
Whenever I feel like I want to work on a different story of mine, I just do it. It usually is just a few ideas that I can sketch on my downtime. Whenever a good idea hits, you wanna grab it and write it down. I think its better to get it out of your system in some form.
5th Aug 2019, 1:24 AM #19
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
CrosEL:Wait, I didn't explain it right... I feel what you mean, it's just.. how I used to write (books not comics) has a entirely different feel to what I'm doing now. Something I wrote a few years ago as compared to UBERNATURA feel much different: it's still very exciting to go back to, but getting the right mindset to write something that goes into it/similar to that way of writing, is hard to do now..

Me too! I'm doing a quick thing on Watt Amino now, so far it's KINDA helping with alternating mindsets. It's a quick reference to older stories but with the feel of current stuff, right now..

Ahh I see different mediums entirely! I agree, transitioning writing from a book or even a written script can be difficult! I'm still trying to figure it out is all I can say xD, but just making a lot of comic pages that are based off stuff you've written and seeing how to make it accessible in webcomic form through trial and error seems to be the best bet. And to be fair there's lots of webcomics that have a cerebral or "novel like" feel to them out there, especially drama/horror comics.

Speaking of good luck on that horror story! maybe we'll have em both out near the same time.
6th Aug 2019, 4:58 PM #20
CrosEL

Dyohna:Whenever I feel like I want to work on a different story of mine, I just do it. It usually is just a few ideas that I can sketch on my downtime. Whenever a good idea hits, you wanna grab it and write it down. I think its better to get it out of your system in some form.

That's what my comic: Star*Eater is for right now, but I should also start carrying a notepad when there's no device around. Thaks for the idea.

Merged Doublepost:

Sovember:Ahh I see different mediums entirely! I agree, transitioning writing from a book or even a written script can be difficult!

Speaking of good luck on that horror story! maybe we'll have em both out near the same time.

Thanks, good luck with yours, too!

As of right now, eating sweets and sleeping in a fetal position(?) kinda helps get the mindset back, lol!

Forum > General discussion > Alternating Mindsets
Pages: [1] [2]