Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Do you ever feel bad for hurting your characters?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Do you ever feel bad for hurting your characters?
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

12th Aug 2019, 7:25 PM #41
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Hear hear. Suffering is a part of life and you need to show that. In life, you will face different tragedies like death, sickness, accidents, losing it all and more. Plus, people who have suffered these events need to be represented. Yes, I do feel bad making my characters face these things, but at the same time, showing them experience loss, mourning and compassion is beautiful thing because it reminds people that they aren't alone and that the ability to feel that kind of sadness is proof of humanity.
12th Aug 2019, 9:44 PM #42
Socratatus

Registration date: 9th Aug 2019
Can`t disagree.
13th Aug 2019, 1:47 PM #43
taikina
a dark, yet alluring presence
Registration date: 6th Mar 2016
in Elsewhere Man (to be released online in the future, it's only paper atm) the main character hops between other worlds just to destroy, raid, and manipulate. and i write that guy like a worse version of myself, so he's somewhat of an author insert. he even teaches villains how to be on the look out for the underdog hero, and unleashes his minion on a bunch of gnomes and bunnies.

and helvetin paska is also full of suffering and degeneracy. i make lots of asshole characters and less sympathetic ones tho, so maybe that's the reason i don't feel bad.

i think imagination is good playground for evil things because it let's them fester in unreality instead of, you know, reality. also, "show what your characters are made of" etc.
13th Aug 2019, 8:10 PM #44
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
This is a tough question that I'm not sure how to answer it.
I kinda felt bad for Gloria when she was destroyed just like I'm gonna feel bad for the next red shirt characters/victims of the antagonists. The thing is, readers never really get to know her to feel much of an attachment, but they're probably still angry with the killers.

My main set of characters seem to write themselves and I find out things about them that I did not think about when I started the comic. Well there is some drama. There are unresolved issues. I review my script as I draw. Still trying to follow the main plot as planned, tho. Should something happen to any of them, after following them for much longer than anyone else, then yeah, I'd be really sad since I don't have to write and draw them anymore after that point and I know I'm going to miss them and I would guess my readers would too. They are a bit like real people ...they exist as characters in my comic's universe. If they get hurt, they're actually hurt by other characters.
13th Aug 2019, 8:45 PM #45
Socratatus

Registration date: 9th Aug 2019
Eve Z.:

My main set of characters seem to write themselves and I find out things about them that I did not think about when I started the comic. Well there is some drama. There are unresolved issues. I review my script as I draw. Still trying to follow the main plot as planned, tho. Should something happen to any of them, after following them for much longer than anyone else, then yeah, I'd be really sad since I don't have to write and draw them anymore after that point and I know I'm going to miss them and I would guess my readers would too. They are a bit like real people ...they exist as characters in my comic's universe. If they get hurt, they're actually hurt by other characters.

Yes, it`s a similar case with me. Some characters I`ve followed a long time and they really don`t want to die.