Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Yet another god forsaken question about 3D comics

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Yet another god forsaken question about 3D comics
Pages: [1]

"Yet another god forsaken question about 3D comics", 9 days ago, 7:21 PM #1
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018

I just can't put my finger on it, but something about how I posed this piece seems sooo, static? Inexpressive?

Here's the rundown

Kathe (the one shrugging her shoulders) is supposed to convey having a "screw this" expression.

Moria (the cat lady) enjoys human food, so she is supposed to be porking out (the plan is to have her become an absolute fat ass since she never had human food before and absolutely loves and can't stop eating it.

And Samson is supposed to be freaking out Kathes boss.

Do you guys feel I conveyed everything properly, as in can you essentially feel what the scene is supposed to represent? I am definately about to change Kathes expression, because it ruins the whole scene and makes it look more like a sitcom, lol.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things?
9 days ago, 7:36 PM #2
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I think it's the lighting, or at least a lot of it is the lighting. None of the characters are casting shadows, and they don't seem to be lit by any physically present light source. That makes them feel like they aren't actually there, like they were each just cut out from a different picture and pasted in. If they don't feel like they're even present in the same place, of course they're going to feel static.

I also think the expressions are too exaggerated. You're using relatively unstylized models, with fairly realistic proportions. But it looks like you're taking their expressions to the limit, giving the vibe of melodramatic stage actors hamming it up, rather than a casual group of friends.
9 days ago, 7:58 PM #3
mightguy15

Thanks so much, I can't believe I let that slip from under me. And I completely see what you mean about the expressions. Thanks, gonna do more work on this
8 days ago, 1:23 PM #4
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Is this a panel on a page or the full page? I suggest breaking it up into bitesize panels. The whole concept seems funny as you described it, even without looking at the image. Plus, I get the impression that Kathe is breaking the 4th wall, which is very comedic. For facial expressions, study the FACS (there's not a universal "screw this" face but I guess it might be disgust):

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-Example-prototypical-expressions-of-six-basic-emotions-and-a-neutral-face-for-actor_fig1_2952396

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2593459/Which-face-happily-disgusted-Scientists-discover-humans-21-different-facial-expressions.html
8 days ago, 2:09 PM #5
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
I can at least read most of the expressions in the picture, even if as the other said they could use tweaking to look more natural, except the boss's. I see it as annoyed, not freaked out. I think it's the body language that looks way too relaxed to convey "freaked out".
How exactly it should be expressed depends on how anxious the boss is and how physically expressive he usually is, but as a general rule, if you're scared of something, your instinct will try to get you to move away from it, keep an eye on it, and protect your chest/head. So try different combinations of leaning away (it's not great as a defensive pose since it puts one off-balance, but instinct can be dumb sometimes), turning the torso towards the perceived threat, hunching the shoulders so less of the neck is exposed, and raising the hands so they're somewhere at chest level - it can take the form of crossed arms or touching one's face, because as long as not utterly terrified, people tend to be self-conscious about overly straightforward emotional displays and disguising them as more neutral gesture is pretty much natural. I suspect you want something closer to discomfort than terror, so lean on the subtler side I guess.
8 days ago, 2:32 PM #6
mightguy15

Robotwin.com:Is this a panel on a page or the full page? I suggest breaking it up into bitesize panels. The whole concept seems funny as you described it, even without looking at the image. Plus, I get the impression that Kathe is breaking the 4th wall, which is very comedic. For facial expressions, study the FACS (there's not a universal "screw this" face but I guess it might be disgust):

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/a-Example-prototypical-expressions-of-six-basic-emotions-and-a-neutral-face-for-actor_fig1_2952396

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2593459/Which-face-happily-disgusted-Scientists-discover-humans-21-different-facial-expressions.html

Thank you very much for these resources. I feel kinda embarrassed about how little I actually knew about conveying emotions, especially in 3D. I typically work in 2D, I had no idea 3D could be this difficult, even with already made models that I have to tweak and create assets for.

but these resources will definitely help things, thanks again.

Merged Doublepost:

Dodom:I can at least read most of the expressions in the picture, even if as the other said they could use tweaking to look more natural, except the boss's. I see it as annoyed, not freaked out. I think it's the body language that looks way too relaxed to convey "freaked out".
How exactly it should be expressed depends on how anxious the boss is and how physically expressive he usually is, but as a general rule, if you're scared of something, your instinct will try to get you to move away from it, keep an eye on it, and protect your chest/head. So try different combinations of leaning away (it's not great as a defensive pose since it puts one off-balance, but instinct can be dumb sometimes), turning the torso towards the perceived threat, hunching the shoulders so less of the neck is exposed, and raising the hands so they're somewhere at chest level - it can take the form of crossed arms or touching one's face, because as long as not utterly terrified, people tend to be self-conscious about overly straightforward emotional displays and disguising them as more neutral gesture is pretty much natural. I suspect you want something closer to discomfort than terror, so lean on the subtler side I guess.

True, maybe freaking out isn't the right word. He isn't supposed to be afraid as he knows that they are friends to Kathe, discomfort was a perfect way to describe the vision I had for his response.

Thank you very much for your insight. You analogy on body language in the instance of terror is something I actually never knew or even would have guessed, a bit silly of me lol. I've probably done exactly that a few times in my own life without noticing. I suppose more study and practice is in order before I get the hang of doing comics in 3D.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.
8 days ago, 3:01 PM #7
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
mightguy15:I suppose more study and practice is in order before I get the hang of doing comics in 3D.

It'll take experience like any other art form, yeah, but when it comes to choosing how to pose characters, it's not that different from drawing, and it's allowed to sketch your scene on paper to get an idea of how you want it to look.