Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Recommend a good pen for inking?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Recommend a good pen for inking?
Pages: [1]

"Recommend a good pen for inking?", 10 days ago, 3:01 PM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I've gone through lots of pens over the years and I realise thinner tip is better. The tip I use so far is 0.05 and Micron is not for me. Every time I have used Micron pens, they ended badly.

What kind of pen do you recommend to a traditional inker like me?
10 days ago, 3:21 PM #2
whiteshaix

Registration date: 28th Jul 2015
I use only ballpoint pens. If I tried to ink the finer details with anything else I'd ruin my drawings.
10 days ago, 3:44 PM #3
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
There's a lot of brands to choose from, fortunately.

Do you do a lot of erasing over the lines? Will you be coloring with alcohol markers at all, or painting...?

Staedtler, Faber Castell, Copic and more all offer nice pens for inking. I personally really love microns and copic multiliners. My sister has had great success with Staedtler fine liners.

JetPens does some great reviews on various pens!

For technical drawing pens

For fineliners

Merged Doublepost:

MK_Wizard:I've gone through lots of pens over the years and I realise thinner tip is better. The tip I use so far is 0.05 and Micron is not for me. Every time I have used Micron pens, they ended badly.

What precisely do you mean by "ended badly"?
10 days ago, 3:48 PM #4
Lutzbug
loved birds way before they were the word
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
If you’re okay with using a dip pen and a pot of ink, I recommend the Zebra Maru pen and Dr Ph Martin’s Bombay black ink. It has the right combo of flexibility and stiffness. They’re great for making different line weights. I used them for years until I started inking digitally. They do require practice to learn.

Copic Multiliners are pretty good, too. They’re similar to microns, but are resistant to coats of alcohol marker applied on top.
10 days ago, 3:51 PM #5
SupermarketCordyceps

Registration date: 31st Oct 2018
Have you considered using dip pens and something like India ink for traditional inking? Depending on the type of inking you're doing it might be worthwhile, I find dip pens to be a bit more versatile and generally fun to use than fine liners, for instance. Plus, you can get a lot of different nibs to use, including of course ones that are a lot finer and therefore might be suited to what you want to do. That said though, they take time to get used to, as with any medium.

If you're thinking more along the lines of fine liners however, I echo what BustyLaroo said, there's a lot of brands out there to choose from, and I found from when I used to draw with fine liners, that unless you go for the really cheap ones, it's difficult to really go wrong with them. My own recommendation would be the Pilot brand drawing pens. They were great when I used them back in the day.

Anyway, ramble over.
10 days ago, 4:06 PM #6
Snarkclaw

Registration date: 9th Oct 2014
I used to use technical pens for most of my inking: Koh-I-Noor Rapidographs and Staedtler Marsmatic 700s were my go-tos.

I still have a set or two, I think, in case I return to regularly using physical media. (I work exclusively digitally these days, just because it is more convenient for me. I often miss working with physical media.)

Pros
- Reusable and long-lived with good care (mine are over decades old, and were even bought used).
- Range of sizes for variety, including incredibly fine lines.
- Tight control over line size.

Cons
- Higher cost upfront than disposables (though can be mitigated by buying used; watch eBay auctions).
- High maintenance. I even used to blog about their care, since sometimes buying some in not-great condition and making them useable again made me an expert.
- No flexibility of line, unlike with a brush.

Speaking of brushes, I also used brush pens, and usually mixed working with the two: brush pens for more expressive lines and technical pens for more controlled or finer lines. For brush pens, I recommend either the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen (for a brush with synthetic bristles) or the Platinum Pocket Brush Pen (for a "brush" pen with a felt tip). Both are reusable and can take refills of waterproof ink.

Dip pens -- as others suggested -- definitely have their benefits and drawbacks, too, but I never personally got into them as much.
10 days ago, 4:23 PM #7
MK_Wizard

I usually stick to Staedtler because it is great for scanning. Also, I never erase lines. I use coloured sketch pencils that can be cleaned up easily digitally.
10 days ago, 4:39 PM #8
keltyzoid!
pigs are smarter than bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
if your twitter post is anything to go by, are you sure you arent just pressing down too hard? with such a fine tip, you have to be gentle with it.

i only ever used my .05 for details. maybe try Faber Castell? i stopped using them because they can't stand up to erasing, but since you dont, maybe theyll work better for you.
10 days ago, 4:51 PM #9
ebarie

Registration date: 18th Jul 2014
I think at the end of the day whatever is suggested does not matter. I think you just have to go to an art store and purchase a few pens or inking utensils and experiment. I love inking with a hunt 102 but I ink mostly with a sable brush. Even each brand of ink is different. I tried the Windsor Newton brush like the pros say and found they did not last. I also use the microns to ink. Even those are not all created equal. Sorry I am not making this about me.

Check our Richard Friend on youtube. He has a video on an assortment of different inking tool. Good luck

"Entertainment one page at a time."
10 days ago, 4:55 PM #10
Abbeysvault

Registration date: 10th Jul 2019
Oh gosh I've done that. I'm a very heavy inker and have broken several pens. XD

I use staedtler pigment liners. Mostly 0.1 0.2 & 0.3. For large black areas I use brush pens.
10 days ago, 5:11 PM #11
MK_Wizard

I didn't press the pen that hard. That's what frustrates me. It just... broke.
9 days ago, 11:58 PM #12
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
A fine point unibal may be useful.

I personally use a combo of a sanji nib, the illustration nibs from speedball, and faber-castell.

I broke my .03 & .05 millimeter Copic nibs on their technical pens...cause I was pressing too hard XD I think the nib may be replaceable, but I've been too cheap and lazy to look into it.
8 days ago, 1:48 AM #13
ratlifter

Registration date: 13th Sep 2008
Copic multiliner SP pens. They're refillable, and the tips are replaceable. Far as I can tell, they hold up better than micron pens do.
8 days ago, 1:50 AM #14
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
My favourite pen was the Artline Drawing System Pen. They have different nib sizes and they are waterproof.

You can also try the Faber-Castell Artist Fibre-tip Ecco Pigment Pen. This one is pretty decent too and waterproof as well.

But in the end, it really depends on what you can afford.
8 days ago, 3:43 AM #15
smbhax

Registration date: 19th Nov 2009
I tried a lot of pens and the only ones I sort of like for drawing are Rotring's Tikky Graphic pens

https://www.jetpens.com/Rotring-Tikky-Graphic-Drawing-Pens/ct/1294

They have the best ink flow. I wasn't able to find any technical pens that didn't have ink flow problems at sizes under 0.3 mm. The Tikkys are also sturdy, and have huge ink reservoirs.

My own go-to for inking is a size 0 Raphaël 8404 brush

http://www.dickblick.com/items/05048-1000/

with Deleter Black 3 ink

http://deleter-mangashop.com/goods_en_usd_277.html
or
https://www.jetpens.com/Deleter-Black-3-Manga-Ink-Waterproof-Matte-30-ml-Bottle/pd/8103
One week ago, 10:35 AM #16
Socratatus

Registration date: 9th Aug 2019
MK_Wizard:I've gone through lots of pens over the years and I realise thinner tip is better. The tip I use so far is 0.05 and Micron is not for me. Every time I have used Micron pens, they ended badly.

I used to use Rotring Isographic pens, but I went onto the Graphic PIGMA pens. They have good, deep blacks, quite smooth. I mostly use number 1 and 2. Scan well.

They`re just easier to use in a rush than Rotring.
One week ago, 4:10 PM #17
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Despite Mike Mignola becoming a millionaire via Microns and Hellboy, I hate Microns. They are utter trash markers. In that I've thrown all of mine away.

I love, love, LOVE my ZIG Millennium Markers.

EDIT: I do most of my inking with the 0.3 and the 0.5; I sometimes use the 0.8 (usually for panel borders, but also for inking objects WAY closer to the "camera" than usual), and I rarely touch the 0.05.
"Recommend a good pen for inking?", 6 days ago, 2:34 AM #18
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
I use a Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pen. They come in a V5 and V7 version. They also have some in colors. I love how the point stays fine and doesn’t spread out at the tip. The ink dries on the paper very fast so I can erase the pencil marks behind it fairly quickly. It also has this cool little window where you can see how much ink is left. I’ve seen some new ones on the market, the Pilot Precise RT’s have a retractable tips, like your traditional ball point pen.

The negatives are that it’s getting harder and harder to find the Pilot Precise pen in stores and office supply places. The retractable Pilot pens supposedly have replacement ink cartridges, but I’ve never seen any of these anywhere.

Best of luck.

— Rick Rudge

Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Recommend a good pen for inking?
Pages: [1]