Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Save it?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1] [2]

"Save it?", 8 days ago, 12:28 PM #1
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
Quick situation: Um, last year I asked for help with a comic in the collab forum. And one person agreed to help (Surprisingly) So we went over the story I originally did, and they wanted it to be a superhero thing. I altered a lot, and had a small superhero story which they were to do the art for..

But... stuff happened: They went to college, and my android LOST IT'S MIND.. and the project was dropped.. Before THAT I had made a Comic site for the thing.. and as you can see: there's nothing in it.

The question is: should it be dropped, or should I try doing it myself? I'm not saying it's exactly a masterpiece, but some brainstorming was done for character designs, character powers, what the plot should be.. And the name took a while to form..

This is the summary of the story, in case you want to know before making up your mind:

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

8 days ago, 12:37 PM #2
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
The basic question is : Do you want to do it or not? If you want, do it and don't bother with anything, if you don't, just forget about it and do something else
8 days ago, 1:54 PM #3
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
^
|
|
|
|
This. What makes you afraid to wing it on your own? It doesn't particularly have to be a masterpiece, I mean dragonball super is pretty terrible from a story perspective and people still love it.

It's all about how well people resonate with the characters and story more than anything else, just ask yourself how badly do you want this story told.
8 days ago, 2:20 PM #4
wesley-draws

Registration date: 27th Jul 2019
It's interesting you mention that they wanted it to be a superhero thing. Nothing wrong with that if you heard the idea, thought it was fantastic and both worked together to hammer out the central story. But was it more like the artist wanted to do a superhero story and you wanted to work with the artist, so you said "uh sure, superheroes"?

Anyway, it kiiiinda sounds like you just don't want to give this up because you've already done a lot of work on it. Ask yourself if you only want to do this because you've put so much time into it, or if you are really, truly excited about this project and want to keep going on your own.

It can be really hard to give up something you've put so much energy and thought into, but remember it won't be entirely lost. Everything you've learned while working on this story has helped you grow as a writer and may even foster a new idea you're even more excited about.

Best of luck either way!
8 days ago, 2:31 PM #5
BustyLaroo

Registration date: 5th Feb 2019
It sounds interesting. And it sounds like YOU have at least SOME desire to make it into something. Why not, at the very least, make a rough draft and see how you like it?
8 days ago, 3:49 PM #6
B.W.K.

Registration date: 30th Jan 2018
I agree with a lot of what others people said. If you feel like you really want to do it, than go ahead and try.

However, if you feel like you can't, you don't have to throw the concepts away. Save them. In time, you may find another project where you can use them.
8 days ago, 4:12 PM #7
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Ideas are cheap, sweat is expensive.

Weigh this against your other projects—what will get you the most of what you want out of your art?
8 days ago, 5:41 PM #8
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
As someone who takes on too many projects, I'd say save it if you really still want to do it! Atm this fall i have more time and am scrambling to get as much as I can before winter where I'll be gone for a while and it's a great challenge/growing experience to work on things that you were (or usually) involve collaboration for yourself. There's no fire, but like others said if you're already doing a lot of other things, you'd have to weigh if it's something you want to invest that much time in.
One week ago, 4:34 AM #9
CrosEL

Thanks for the helping, yeah.. Um I DO hate that work was put into it, and then it's just dropped and then there's:

wesley-draws:It's interesting you mention that they wanted it to be a superhero thing. Nothing wrong with that if you heard the idea, thought it was fantastic and both worked together to hammer out the central story. But was it more like the artist wanted to do a superhero story and you wanted to work with the artist, so you said "uh sure, superheroes"?

This⬆

That paragraph describes EXACTLY what happened, but everything was free, soooo how could one argue?

Essentially, it IS something that CAN be a good idea, in my opinion... But so far, putting time in in it seems impossible.. Mostly because I'd need to DRASTICALLY change my art style to fit the story, and I'm still not where I want to be..

Was more so looking for a " Yeah dude, do it!" Or a "No, that story sucks", but weighing how much time I have for it, sounds more sensible...

Maybe I should just post what DID come out, here, so it won't disappear into oblivion?

One week ago, 4:37 AM #10
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
CrosL:Maybe I should just post what DID come out, here, so it won't disappear into oblivion?

concur

even if it is purely to remind you (years from now) of how far you've come
One week ago, 4:38 AM #11
CrosEL

mightguy15:
wing it

IRONICALLY: This is the original name of the comic project, before my partner wanted a Superhero thing! (Believe it or not, this is blowing my mind... Feels like nostalgia, even though it was just last December!!)

Ah.. Admittedly, the original story was somewhat "cutesy" then took a dramatic turn in the end! I was slightly glad the artist wanted a Superhero thing, it made some the story fit and not seem so out of nowhere!

6 days ago, 7:04 PM #12
Socratatus

Registration date: 9th Aug 2019
CrosEL:Quick situation: Um, last year I asked for help with a comic in the collab forum. And one person agreed to help (Surprisingly) So we went over the story I originally did, and they wanted it to be a superhero thing. I altered a lot, and had a small superhero story which they were to do the art for..

But... stuff happened: They went to college, and my android LOST IT'S MIND.. and the project was dropped.. Before THAT I had made a Comic site for the thing.. and as you can see: there's nothing in it.

The question is: should it be dropped, or should I try doing it myself? I'm not saying it's exactly a masterpiece, but some brainstorming was done for character designs, character powers, what the plot should be.. And the name took a while to form..

I`m a bit late to this. but once I did a collab with a friend. He was to write, I draw. Well we did ok for about 2 months. Then he just stopped writing. He wouldn`t do any more. He made excuses whenever I called and told him the deadline was coming. People were reading the story.

The whole comic crashed because there was nothing to draw. I thought about taking up the mantle myself and writing, but wasn`t confident of the subject matter. And I`d never tried writing anything before.

Now I wish I had. Today I know I could `ve done and should have.

As for what happened to my friend- he`d turned into an alcoholic.

Point is if you think it`s worth it to carry it on, do it. You may regret never trying.
6 days ago, 8:18 PM #13
CrosEL

Socratatus:

Now I wish I had. Today I know I could `ve done and should have.

As for what happened to my friend- he`d turned into an alcoholic.

Point is if you think it`s worth it to carry it on, do it. You may regret never trying.

Holy crap, I didn't expect this! Um... lirvilas' agreement in posting what we DID do felt legit.
I didn't think something severe could happen from dropping a thing at random.. (Seriously makes me
wanna check up on them/the artist now..) Um... my art's kinda… Well, if you look at any of my
comics, you'll see.. That's the reason I didn't want to try illustrating anything with a more
serious tone to it.

Um, one more question then: If I get time to do this, should be the Superhero thing they/the artist wanted, or the Slice-of-life thing it ORIGINALLY was?

Both should have decent/not my current art and probably can't be done now...

6 days ago, 8:25 PM #14
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
If you aren't confident in drawing all that stuff you can always try 3D
5 days ago, 8:32 AM #15
Socratatus

CrosEL:Holy crap, I didn't expect this! Um... lirvilas' agreement in posting what we DID do felt legit.
I didn't think something severe could happen from dropping a thing at random.. (Seriously makes me
wanna check up on them/the artist now..) Um... my art's kinda… Well, if you look at any of my
comics, you'll see.. That's the reason I didn't want to try illustrating anything with a more
serious tone to it.

Um, one more question then: If I get time to do this, should be the Superhero thing they/the artist wanted, or the Slice-of-life thing it ORIGINALLY was?

Both should have decent/not my current art and probably can't be done now...

Depends what you`re more comfortable with. If you prefer the original slice-of-life-thing, go for it.
5 days ago, 10:21 AM #16
whiteshaix

Registration date: 28th Jul 2015
I agree, do the version you like more. Besides, superheroes mean a LOT of action scenes, and if you don't feel confident those can be a real pain. Although there's nothing wrong in trying, you can't learn if you never venture out of your comfort zone.
4 days ago, 2:10 PM #17
CrosEL

mightguy15:If you aren't confident in drawing all that stuff you can always try 3D

I wish I knew how to do 3D, lol! ...Actually if I did: I'd be trying game design, too.

Merged Doublepost:

Socratatus:Depends what you`re more comfortable with. If you prefer the original slice-of-life-thing, go for it.

While I prefer it, I still would like a better artist for to help with it. All my work defaults "simple" even if a spend some time on it...

Merged Doublepost:

whiteshaix:I agree, do the version you like more. Besides, superheroes mean a LOT of action scenes, and if you don't feel confident those can be a real pain. Although there's nothing wrong in trying, you can't learn if you never venture out of your comfort zone.

That's my strange problem: If you look at my profile/UBERNATURA then you'd see I LOVE doing action scenes!
Doing the special effects and junk's SO Much fun!!! But... my artwork apparently sucks. So someone with understandable
art would be better for this one... It would match the story a little better if the art's somewhat realistic.

4 days ago, 3:02 PM #18
Zero Hour

Registration date: 12th Mar 2017
You can also just try it anyway and improve your art in the proces, that's what I do. Also, you can't be good at something without starting as being bad at that thing
4 days ago, 3:44 PM #19
wesley-draws

Registration date: 27th Jul 2019
CrosEL:But... my artwork apparently sucks.

(haha sorry, I just love your signature and it always gives me a pick-me-up)

I love all the positivity and encouragement here, and I completely agree with the general advice: if you love it, give it a shot! You can give 3D or other art styles a shot if that's what you want to do. So I don't mean to be the dissenter in the crowd.
However, I think the important thing is the "if you love it" part.

CrosEL:Maybe I should just post what DID come out, here, so it won't disappear into oblivion?

I think this would be a good plan. It would help you get some closure. And if you decide you do want to do the project right now, it might help you decide what direction you want to go in with the art (whether yours or finding another artist to do it).

I also want to note that just because you're setting a project aside doesn't mean it's gone forever. You can always come back to it if and when the idea appeals to you. Example: the comic I'm working on now is from an idea and characters made with my friends from middle school that I'd poked at only once or twice since then. And I'm sure that's not a unique experience.

Personally, I disagree with the idea that ones art needs to be at a certain "level" for a comic to read well, but if you wouldn't feel comfortable drawing it for any reason, you can always take the opportunity to develop your art and come back to the comic when you feel ready. Setting it aside doesn't automatically mean scrapping it.

Anyway, I realize I've said a lot here. The main point is that... doing a webcomic is hard! So why force yourself to do a project you're not in love with? Think of it like a wedding dress: the dress someone picks out ultimately has nothing to do with whether the dress is "good" or "bad", it has to do with how they feel in it and how they feel about it.
4 days ago, 4:02 PM #20
Socratatus

wesley-draws:God: Who told thee that thou suck?
(haha sorry, I just love your signature and it always gives me a pick-me-up)

haha. I also like it. I remember noticing it on my first day here. It stands out to me for some reason.

Merged Doublepost:

CrosEL:

While I prefer it, I still would like a better artist for to help with it. All my work defaults "simple" even if a spend some time on it...

I`d love to help in that regard, but right now my hands are just too full. But who knows, maybe in the future...