Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Good Deeds Rewarded

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Good Deeds Rewarded
Pages: [1]

"Good Deeds Rewarded", 5 days ago, 3:16 PM #1
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
I like the thread CrosEl created about no good deed going unpunished. But the more I was thinking of no reward, I kept thinking of the times it did work out for me.

And it got me wanting to create a thread on the flipside: where good deeds were rewarded, and you felt good about the outcome of it :3

I made a close friend in college when I took some classes at a community college. We weren't close friends then, but we hung out sometimes after class.

After college I moved up North, and through some odd coincidence I lived very close to her grandma. Because it was a 3 hour drive from where she lived, she asked if I could pop in and check on her grandma every now and then. It was a bit out of my way, but I thought, well what could it hurt?

They then started asking me to bring her down for Christmas, and I thought well bugger, what have I gotten myself into? But I did it, 'cause I didn't have a good excuse not to.

And the 3 hour drive started to fly by as the wonderful woman would tell me stories of her childhood, tell me more about my friend, and all her travels around the world. And I made one of my few friends up North.

My college friend and I got into a big fight over the events of Ferguson, and NY (where the guy was strangled to death on video,) since her dad had been a cop (he was retired.) We were both wrong, and I was insensitive, but we didn't talk for years. I was still friends with her grandma and the rest of her family. I still considered her my friend, but she was really p*ssed at me.

So fast forward, and her grandmother dies. It was so hard for both of us: her more than me, obviously. But I went to her funeral and was sitting by myself 'cause I figured she was still mad at me. But she came over and sat with me instead of her family and we've since rekindled our friendship. We later apologized to each other.

Long story, but if it wasn't for the one inconvenience I agreed to do, I would never had made a good friend, and I'd have lost another through my own big mouth (which is why I try to not be as offensive as I used to be.)

Anyone else got some good deeds rewarded?
5 days ago, 5:05 PM #2
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Deleted full thing because it felt braggy, but summary is "Be nice to people, and when you need help, you will find you have a lot of nice people in your life"

Seriously, if zombies invade, my sickly butt's only chance at survival is that I have super sweet allies.
5 days ago, 9:57 PM #3
BlueDragon

Yeah, I too worry about coming off as a braggart XD But I figured it was good to show both sides :3

I've been fortunate in that when I put myself out, the times I've had good experiences from it has far out-weighed the people who just didn't give a sh*t. I recognize that's not the case with everyone.

I didn't see your story before you deleted it, but your comment reminds me of my grandpa (I never met him, just heard all the stories about him.)

I guess I won't go into details, but his kindness, without expecting a reward, paid off when he had his first, and his final, heart attack. People came out of the woodwork to help Grandma (and mom, who was pregnant with me trying to care for them both) out while he was in the hospital, as well as to help with his funeral.

I kinda wish I'd met him. Seriously, I've never heard a single person who's known him say a bad thing about him XD And it was a small town! Everybody's got dirt on everybody else XD
5 days ago, 11:10 PM #4
Shekets
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
The guy who trained me at work was, for a long time, the only dishwasher at night during a long period of being understaffed.

My first day was a Friday and I stayed an hour overtime to help him get as much stuff done as we could.
A week or so later, he was going to be the only dishwasher on a Sunday night (a day I had off), and so I asked my supervisor if I could work that day and brought my trainer a pack of cigarettes (yeah yeah I know I shouldn't be encouraging an addictive habit).

2 months later and he's interested in me and I'm interested in him. He doesn't have time for a relationship but it might just be a matter of me being patient (he's a recovering addict and trying to get his life back together).
He's been really kind and patient with me, even on days where he's angry/grump/tired and part of me thinks that he doesn't really get much patience from women.

TL;DR: some people with problems are really appreciative when you're patient with them and treat them with respect, especially if you're willing to go out of your way to help them when they're stressed out
Edit: also if you see any of your coworkers crying, don't be condescending or belittle them
4 days ago, 1:54 AM #5
BlueDragon

Shekets:
TL;DR: some people with problems are really appreciative when you're patient with them and treat them with respect, especially if you're willing to go out of your way to help them when they're stressed out
Edit: also if you see any of your coworkers crying, don't be condescending or belittle them

^This. So much this.

I am always shocked when I see people walk right by a problem and not offer some assistance. I know I often don't have the right words to help, but ignoring someone isn't helping the situation, either!
4 days ago, 5:20 AM #6
Chernobog

Registration date: 5th Jun 2012
Of the several wallets I've found in my lifetime, I was rewarded once. I think I was around seven or eight?

It was a surfer's wallet found in a street near the beach where I grew up. Nothing really in it beyond the guy's ID and some key, I think. My mother helped contact the guy and he gave me some surfer brand stickers and a really nice surfer shirt which I wound up treasuring for many many years. I miss the old shore town. People were a lot nicer there than the 'burbs.

Check out my new novel, available on Amazon!
Desperate By Dusk

Arachnid Goddess 2

My DeviantArt page
4 days ago, 6:33 PM #7
BlueDragon

I can't understand the lack of appreciation from a returned wallet o_O

The only thing I can think of, and it's such a stretch, is I wonder if the person getting their wallet back, having had the event happen to them and someone stealing from them, suspects the person returning because maybe they think the person not only took the money, but is also expecting a reward? I think that's ridiculous. But people are often *ssholes, and the whole situation of losing a wallet can bring out the worst in people. I don't think this excuses them from showing appreciation.

I really don't get the people who are suspect of the wallet returners, though. Nine times out of 10 (uh...I'm not basing this on any actual studies) the person returning it has just found the discarded wallet and feels bad for the person who lost it/had it stolen. Without actual evidence the person returning the wallet took from it, it's stupid to assume they did it (I'm pulling from the "no good deed unpunished thread" here.)

That's f*cked up thinking, in my book, but I've noticed people like to think the worst of others. Maybe that's a stretch. I dunno. But since you were a kid with the suffer dude (and my stereotype of surfers is that they're chill,) maybe that played into his reaction? A kid is more innocent, whereas an adult is suspect? The world's messed up,man.

Sister Thread:
https://comicfury.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=39404
4 days ago, 11:21 PM #8
Bolderousness
persevered past being called "boulderousness"
Registration date: 24th Aug 2018
As a college student, those who helps others with their work get that help back. Sometimes you'll get that moocher who just doesn't do the work, but it's good to always be on the giving end here. Expands your network.
3 days ago, 3:29 PM #9
BlueDragon

Yeah, I found that to be true in college, too :3 It would have been next to impossible to get through it without helping each other XD And some of my best friends came from college.
Yesterday, 6:07 PM #10
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I was unsure about posting this, but....

Our grandparents sometimes would ask for help, and of curse: we'd willingly help them everytime!
Finally, when we got older: Granddad wanted to give us the feeling of how it's like
to have a job/pay off all his debts. Unfortunately STILL don't get how it feels: I ain't got no job, YET, lol!!
While we at first say he didn't have to pay us, it felt "alright" to be rewarded, and even after he passed away(Bless his soul)
grandma starts throwing money around like crazy! (Alright, to be truthful: it's like $5 to $20)
And trying NOT to accept it would make her upset, as she has a similar mentality to granddad's debtless style.

The reason I bought this instance up is: because they're both people I'd willingly help for nothing (And can feel great about it), and money is just icing on the cake. This is the most perfect instance I can think of where a good deed's rewarded both inside and out!

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

Forum > General discussion > Good Deeds Rewarded
Pages: [1]