Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Minor Annoyances
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41
5th Sep 2020, 8:21 PM #681
My pc keeps crashing several times a day and the CPU fan is not working for some reason
5th Sep 2020, 8:22 PM #682
What a sucker
On the Good Things Thread...:I can afford to have my Rising From the Grave Ghoul fixed!

Yeah, no, I can pay to have it cleaned, the thing's fucked.
6th Sep 2020, 7:22 PM #683
While my coffee brewed this morning I put up a load of laundry to wash.

At 2:45 I finally remembered I did that so it's just been sitting there damp and squashed in the washing mashine all day :/ got it on the clothes line, its a little warm in the sun but very cool in the shade so I"m not sure how much suxess I will experience with this particular chore today
6th Sep 2020, 11:34 PM #684
Bought a 65€ pair of headphones and when I got home to activate the Surround Sound system I was told the activation key (that was inside the sealed package, with the headphones, hidden under one of those scratch strips) had already been used. SOMEHOW. So now I can't activate the surround sound and am left with stereo headphones. Needless to say I've contacted customer support but man.
I also love nice boxes and the headphones/headset came in a really nice box and on my way to my apartment the box had gotten damaged in my car. Only the front of the box, of course. So now the front and corners are scratched up and gross-looking.

---
6th Sep 2020, 11:57 PM #685
3:40 am and I am the only one on the road. Well, until I get almost up to the green light and them BAM! A car pulls up and the light turns red just before I get there. I was going to turn left, and of course they are heading that way. Now I'm behind them and of course! They drive slower than me!

Not a soul on the road except in the one place I am at! How does that ALWAYS happen.
7th Sep 2020, 6:12 AM #686
Taking Names & Spitting Images
I was given a task that I've never had to do before in a program I've never used before and I only have time on the weekends! But everyone else who can answer questions is gone on the weekends ;u; ;u; ;u;

I'm not crying; you're crying
7th Sep 2020, 6:39 AM #687
I'm job hunting. I've never worked a single day in my life, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Every part time job says something along the lines of 'must have five years of experience' even if it's just babysitting or tutoring and stuff... like, how does one GET a first job?????
7th Sep 2020, 12:41 PM #688
goes fast
Team Stormbow:
I'm job hunting. I've never worked a single day in my life, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Every part time job says something along the lines of 'must have five years of experience' even if it's just babysitting or tutoring and stuff... like, how does one GET a first job?????

I'm having that problem too, that's why I'm trying to get that apprenticeship. The only jobs around me are retail and warehousing, problem with that is I suck at both, and everyone's trying to push me into those jobs, they asked me what type of jobs I'm suited for, so I told them and they practically threw the list away and told me to go for retail. No point me applying for jobs that I'm no good at.
7th Sep 2020, 12:41 PM #689
I'm definitely not a morning person. I hate waking up early. And I'm a bad teacher haha.

And now I'm not sure if I should keep drinking coffee to stay awake now that I'm trying to take care of myself.
7th Sep 2020, 1:08 PM #690
Team Stormbow:I'm job hunting. I've never worked a single day in my life, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Every part time job says something along the lines of 'must have five years of experience' even if it's just babysitting or tutoring and stuff... like, how does one GET a first job?????

This sucks, been there. My only advice is when you see something that DOESN'T have that requirement, apply, even if it's something you don't want to do. The focus is to get a job- worry about a career later. It's much easier to get a job when you already have one.

Alternatively, if you see something you actually like but it has that, apply anyway. There's no harm in it, you won't get an angry phone call being like "Ugh I can't believe you gave us your resume and didn't have xyz!" Worst case they just chuck it and you don't get the job, best case you could get called in anyway.

A few years ago I also went to a few sessions at an organization that was created to help women get on their feet (it was definitely aimed at women older than I was, many of whom had been thru a divorce or were just much older and looking to get back into the workforce or just seeking to better themselves). One thing they do is send out emails for jobs, some part time some not, and also had sessions to take to help you interview and know how to dress etc. You might be able to find such an organization local to you that works with your demographic and can help you get where you need to be.

Best of luck to you - know that there's many people in the same boat these days.
7th Sep 2020, 1:52 PM #691
Team Stormbow:I'm job hunting. I've never worked a single day in my life, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Every part time job says something along the lines of 'must have five years of experience' even if it's just babysitting or tutoring and stuff... like, how does one GET a first job?????

That sucks I'm really sorry to hear that.

It can be tough, and i would like to offer some ideas, but I'll put them in a spoiler as many of them stem from personal experience and I'm not sure how well it will relate to your situation.

It's definitely tough, but hopefully I was able to provide any at all useful information and I wish you luck!
7th Sep 2020, 2:36 PM #692
my housemates froze blueberries into the ice we all use. thanks housemates very cool
7th Sep 2020, 3:42 PM #693
Emotionally exhausted. Trying to get things done but the time is going by way too quickly today.
7th Sep 2020, 4:04 PM #694
Timelapse11:I'm having that problem too, that's why I'm trying to get that apprenticeship. The only jobs around me are retail and warehousing, problem with that is I suck at both, and everyone's trying to push me into those jobs, they asked me what type of jobs I'm suited for, so I told them and they practically threw the list away and told me to go for retail. No point me applying for jobs that I'm no good at.

I live in the country, so I'd like a local job that gives me more money than the cost of the gas to get me there, which is already hard. I'm looking for people who need help with their harvest, since there's tons of farms that need help with grapes, but that will only last me a couple days or smth.

mitchellbravo:This sucks, been there. My only advice is when you see something that DOESN'T have that requirement, apply, even if it's something you don't want to do. The focus is to get a job- worry about a career later. It's much easier to get a job when you already have one.

Alternatively, if you see something you actually like but it has that, apply anyway. There's no harm in it, you won't get an angry phone call being like "Ugh I can't believe you gave us your resume and didn't have xyz!" Worst case they just chuck it and you don't get the job, best case you could get called in anyway.

A few years ago I also went to a few sessions at an organization that was created to help women get on their feet (it was definitely aimed at women older than I was, many of whom had been thru a divorce or were just much older and looking to get back into the workforce or just seeking to better themselves). One thing they do is send out emails for jobs, some part time some not, and also had sessions to take to help you interview and know how to dress etc. You might be able to find such an organization local to you that works with your demographic and can help you get where you need to be.

Best of luck to you - know that there's many people in the same boat these days.

I've been thinking about that, especially wih tutoring since it's the one thing I am prepared for... as a uni student, I think I know enough Math to teach a middle school student, yannow XD. I don't know of any organizations like that around, although I've been thinking about advertising myself on the town bulletin board as I've seen people do.

mightguy15: Have you ever done any level of volunteer work? My first job I got was at a warehouse known as unclaimed freight. It's also important to glorify your former work. I made absolutely sure the previous employer references was full to the best extent of my ability. I put on there x I volunteer to work at a church, x I volunteer to do things at my school, even times I worked under my cousin who had her own business as a photographer and hired me as her assistant.

Not that I'm suggesting doing this, as it can also be a bit risky, but I have also even lied on my applications before. We had a Rally's that shut down in my area recently, so when I was looking for a job, I put that on my application and made it seem like I worked there because I knew they wouldn't be able to call since it shut down recently. I ended up getting the job.

Perhaps there is an upstanding government job or maybe upstanding volunteer work you can do? I'm prior military, and I use that to my ABSOLUTE advantage. there is even this one time I recited all the soldiers free during an interview and I got hired then and there. I'm not sure where you live, but in the United States there are even programs in place to help people who are prior military find jobs (I got a political rant about that, since mainly the government has a hand in why we have so many unemployed and homeless veterans but at least they are trying I guess and I'm not going to bore you to death with my musings).

Although I don't expect everyone to want to do that, but maybe there's some volunteer work that can get you some level of respect among employers?

I've done several workstudies (in Accounting and Radiology, pretty random), but the problem is that here in Italy they're never paid, and I need the money :(. As for volounteer work, a lot of that here isn't payed either, I believe? I've helped my uncle fix various machines before, but that's not something you can present on a piece of paper, employers want diplomas and stuff.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and suggestions! I'll definitely keep them in mind!
7th Sep 2020, 5:41 PM #695
Trying to remind myself it's better to see two small tasks through to completion than to start an entire space or room of projects and just make more of a mess that never gets fully put away. Yes, the room will look more dramatic when it's all clean, but I also know that's just not feasible to happen today.
7th Sep 2020, 7:19 PM #696
Before this summer I had only gotten food poisoning once in my life... This summer I got it three times. It's made me not want to eat out anymore.
Which, admittedly, will be good for my wallet, but..... I like food.... and I rarely have the energy to cook good food myself.... :(
7th Sep 2020, 9:03 PM #697
goes fast
The shirt I ordered for a cosplay was the wrong colour, so now I have to return it for a refund and find a new shirt that's the correct colour. Normally I'd go into town to get stuff like shirts, (I also have to get new trousers too, which is hell itself) but I don't like going into town atm, I'm sure you all get why.
Clothes shopping sucks, I have very specific taste when it comes to clothes, there are certain fabrics I just hate and most womans clothing is form fitting so I have to get a size up just so I can feel comfortable.
7th Sep 2020, 9:21 PM #698
Timelapse11:Clothes shopping sucks, I have very specific taste when it comes to clothes, there are certain fabrics I just hate and most womans clothing is form fitting so I have to get a size up just so I can feel comfortable.

Gosh, do I feel this. I don't dislike clothes shopping in and of itself, but I've grown to hate it because it's so hard to find the right clothes. Especially trousers.
Good luck pal!
(I actually need to buy new clothes too but I've been putting it off for ages....)
7th Sep 2020, 10:07 PM #699
Timelapse11:The shirt I ordered for a cosplay was the wrong colour, so now I have to return it for a refund and find a new shirt that's the correct colour. Normally I'd go into town to get stuff like shirts, (I also have to get new trousers too, which is hell itself) but I don't like going into town atm, I'm sure you all get why.

online shopping is really like dodging landmines isn't it. I've had the same problem with redbubble actually, I ordered two shirts of the same size and one was bigger than the other. oh well, at least the smaller one fits.
8th Sep 2020, 1:38 AM #700
Timelapse11:
Clothes shopping sucks, I have very specific taste when it comes to clothes, there are certain fabrics I just hate and most womans clothing is form fitting so I have to get a size up just so I can feel comfortable.

I have the proportions of a tall manikin, and it's still hard to find things that fit which are the right color, right style, and affordable. I used to waste time in department stores trying to find this combination and often walked out empty-handed.

Eventually I decided to just buy black jeans and black shirts for casual wear. For work, I found solid-colored shirts and slacks were the best bet. I settled on certain colors which are always available when I have to replace an item which has worn out.

The other part I hate when shopping for clothes in department stores is the music on the PA system being too loud. Even if it was music I liked, it would still be too loud. Are people afraid of not being constantly overstimulated by media?

---gets down from the soap box

The phone is mightier than the assault rifle.
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Minor Annoyances
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41