Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Minor Annoyances
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
5 days ago, 3:50 AM #741
loved birds way before they were the word
deleted
5 days ago, 7:07 AM #742
i got a new light up keyboard (wew gamer rights) which is absolutely lovely, but the keys are very touchy, so if i'm not precise and hit more than one key even a little bit, i can end up typing up to 4 random letters at once and GAAAH it drives me NUTS
5 days ago, 11:10 AM #743
I stayed up slightly later than I should have and wound up having work nightmares in the last hour I was sleeping.

Each other day this week I've gotten a second wind at the end of the work day and wanted to get things done rather than relax but today I scheduled a visit to a friend I haven't seen since before covid and of course today is the day I'd rather not go anywhere. I guess that could change during the day but I just have a bad feeling about today and how things are going to go.
5 days ago, 1:21 PM #744
Lutzbug:deleted

Oh, shyt. Was it one of them political hot takes? If it helps, I think everyone agrees both presidential candidates are terrible.
5 days ago, 1:52 PM #745
Venture Capitalist
mightguy15 :Oh, shyt. Was it one of them political hot takes? If it helps, I think everyonue agrees both presidential candidates are terrible.

No, I disagree with such an equivalency. But I’ll leave the dissection of that to another thread.

What I think we can all agree on is that we’d prefer this heinous election (and this abysmal year) to be over!
5 days ago, 11:53 PM #746
mightguy15: Oh, shyt. Was it one of them political hot takes? If it helps, I think everyone agrees both presidential candidates are terrible.

Nope it wasn’t political at all, just venting. I deleted it on my own accord because I needed to get something out of my system and decided that people didn’t need to read it. I don’t want to answer more questions about it.
4 days ago, 8:31 AM #747
a dark, yet alluring presence
why is there someone larping as trump on this forum and how many people here find it funny?
4 days ago, 4:04 PM #748
Environment Knight
I love when I'm shaving my legs and for absolutely no reason my legs are like "I see you've decided to 𝖘𝖕𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖉. Let me get that started for you!"
Literally wrapping up my right shin in medical gauze right now to spare me some bandaids :) :) :)

Also re: the Trump LARPer I feel like I'm at an open mic night in 2016
4 days ago, 6:08 PM #749
Birb is the Worb
It was maybe a little funny to see their first post but it got old fast. I kept seeing them pop up in unrelated threads just to comment on other peoples' work in an attempt to draw attention to themself. Seems desperate.
4 days ago, 6:20 PM #750
I can explain
taikina:why is there someone larping as trump on this forum and how many people here find it funny?

When they were just shitposting in political arguments, it was tolerable. Kind of the laziest, easiest form of the joke, no novelty or depth, but it was at least a joke.

I blocked them once I started seeing them in unrelated threads. That's just annoying, and actually kind of rude IMO.
4 days ago, 6:26 PM #751
They haven't posted in two weeks as for now, I actually find it funny, but I kinda like absurd stuff and general shitpost
4 days ago, 6:27 PM #752
What a sucker
I dislike the state of American politics and I don't want reminders, thank you very much
4 days ago, 6:30 PM #753
Yeah, I blocked them too because I just get angry and annoyed being reminded of bs politics all the time. I want to use the forums without all that.

---
4 days ago, 6:48 PM #754
I hope the trump LARPer stays gone tbh. It stopped being funny within the first couple posts.
4 days ago, 8:50 PM #755
rivaling gator
GMan003:When they were just shitposting in political arguments, it was tolerable. Kind of the laziest, easiest form of the joke, no novelty or depth, but it was at least a joke.

I blocked them once I started seeing them in unrelated threads. That's just annoying, and actually kind of rude IMO.

Yeah, more than just rude when people are dying. Glad they've fucked off.

Now, what is truly funny is how we seem to have gotten the personal attention of a certain writer who has made an alt account to whinge and cry in the trash talking thread about them. Anyone else notice the brand new account whose sole five messages have been in that one thread only?
4 days ago, 9:16 PM #756
Yeah, Jeremy7, I don't like American politics either. Being a US citizen is the freaking worst right now. Heck, the reason I am making my comic is to escape this messed up country.

But enough about that bullcrap. Let's move on.
4 days ago, 10:19 PM #757
I can explain
Yeah, think it's time for a subject shift.

So something minor that's really annoying me is that Intel is deliberately trying to understand their processor lineup. They label chips as "65W" or "95W", which you'd think it how much power they need, right? NOPE. That's thermal cooling requirements - a chip labeled as 125W can pull down as much as 250, just not indefinitely. A system can handle some variation in thermal load - a heatsink will absorb a decent amount of heat just coming up to steady-state temperature, so briefly pulling twice as much power doesn't hurt there... but it does hurt when your power supply can't handle it, because there's a lot less slop there. You do need the cooling number but people building their own computers also really need to know the actual maximum power draw, because an overloaded cooling system will throttle or shut down... but an overloaded power supply will often as not explode.

They also keep changing what their reference numbers are for mobile chips (where power draw is more configurable by the system manufacturer). Last gen, everything was given as performance at 15W. The new ones? They'll tell you performance at the max of 28W, and the min of 12W, but not 15W, making it impossible to compare similar numbers. And their suffix scheme seems to have changed AGAIN. At least it's not like last gen, where they had two different numbering schemes simultaneously.

At this point, I'm only going to recommend AMD chips to people, because they're the only ones I can actually understand. And I'm a high-tier computer nerd - I can build an adder circuit from bare transistors, I can write assembler, I've compiled my own kernels (back when that was actually an accomplishment). I know my stuff. But now Intel's making it ridiculously hard to know what their stuff even is. Which means they're either gloriously incompetent, or know they're behind and are doing everything they can to obfuscate it.

Which doesn't super matter to me, since I'm not actually professionally involved in stuff that low-level or hardware-based, but it's still annoying to be basically locked out of a domain of knowledge by the very people who are paid to spread that knowledge.
4 days ago, 10:49 PM #758
I stutter a lot when talking to people in english. I don't do this when talking to myself in english (which, yes, is something I do daily). I think it's just the anxiety of possibly messing up in a non-native language.
Sometimes I get so stuck on a word, repeating the first two letters over and over again, that I have to stop and start the sentence over.
The same thing happens with my native-language, but not to the same degree. As if I needed anything else to be anxious about in social situations.

---
3 days ago, 2:02 AM #759
I have that weird feeling in my pinky and it bothers me
3 days ago, 2:54 AM #760
phoenixjklin:Yeah, I blocked them too because I just get angry and annoyed being reminded of bs politics all the time. I want to use the forums without all that.

I stopped reading any news about politics after the election of 2016. Unfortunately two friends of mine whom I agree with politically would go on long, long rants when I would get together with either of them.

I didn't mind too much with the friend who lives near me. But the other friend lives 100 miles away. I like to take a day off from work and drive to his home. We go out for lunch, hang out, and I drive back to my city about 5:00 pm or so. Sometimes he would get so wound up he would be shouting. This worried me because I'm sure he has high blood pressure.

I knew things were going to be horrible after that election. I don't want to be reminded either when there's nothing I can do about it.

And yes, it is a little late for this type of satire to be amusing.

The positive thing for me personally is that these times have forced me to learn to look beyond a person's politics and simply see that person. One of my co-workers is an old-time conservative. He does try to engage people by making certain subtle but judgemental remarks intended to draw a reaction from others. But he is an older man(well beyond retirement age)and he is mostly polite and gentlemanly. I enjoy talking to him about non-political things.

The real test was not reacting to another far-right guy who simply has no filters. He has the habit of making very blatant judgemental remarks, just barely avoiding crossing the line where he could get into trouble for shit-talking at work. He'd make a totally ignorant nasty remark and go "HYUK-HYUK-HYUK!"

Once he commnted to me that the Pandemic was probably some sort of conspiracy. At that point I spoke up and told him in a soft but very concerned voice:

"It doesn't matter if covid19 came from a sick animal or from a laboratory. It's spreading. People are getting sick. People are dying. Everyone must face this and focus on surviving and finding a cure"

This guy actually looked serious and intelligent for one moment when I said this. He had nothing to say when I finished.

He is gone now. He and his wife moved to a state which has a covid19 infection rate that is 5 times what our state's rate is. But I know he's happy. He doesn't have to wear a mask anymore.