Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Minor Annoyances
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 131
29th Nov 2019, 11:08 AM #81
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Coffee gives me energy

but it makes me shit
29th Nov 2019, 2:47 PM #82
Ice cream's delicious

but it makes me shit crazy.. or sometimes not be able to..

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

29th Nov 2019, 3:17 PM #83
the only safe place is the top shelf
The cable of my otherwise perfectly fine headphones broke. (Luckily I had a spare headphones - but they are earbuds, and for chilling on my computer at home I prefer "conventional" headphones.)
29th Nov 2019, 3:43 PM #84
CrosEL:
I HATE when a page pretends to load up, you go to the section you wanna read/
tap and the thing loads ONE MORE thing and makes the page jump!!!!!!!

I hate it when you go to a page on your phone, you see a link, your finger descends toward that link, and then at the last possible moment the link you want gets bumped up or down the page and you click on the wrong link. It's especially annoying when you're somewhere that uses an algorithm to predict your likes, so that when you go back a page, the links are now all scrambled or different, and your only hope is to remember the title of what you just tried to click on and can do a search.
29th Nov 2019, 4:41 PM #85
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
honestly, this forum's habit of uncontrollably lecturing and sidelining people who say something less than popular has to count as a minor annoyance, one of the downsides among the many amazing things that happen here.

checking random threads and discovering the latest dogpiling pyramid is getting increasingly ridiculous, regardless of who is and isn't wrong. I thought venting threads had an unspoken rule about not interfering with people's complaints, even when it's a blatant overreaction.

you could argue that instead of adding another layer of complaining, I should let it slide because it's only a bunch of posts unrelated to me, and I'd agree with you. but sometimes it gets too egregious to ignore. there are better things to do than hopelessly correcting people online, like working on comics, posting in joke threads or actual discussions, etc. just my two cents.
29th Nov 2019, 5:49 PM #86
loved birds way before they were the word
Hi, Matt.

Working retail and food service is awful and you have to deal with some of the worst human behaviors imaginable. For example: someone wanting to get you fired because you gave them the wrong sauce instead of politely asking them to give you a different one.

People were not being mean to RJDG. Maybe they were ragging on him a bit too much, but considering that he wants to get people fired over giving them the wrong sauce, it’s not out of line to tell him it’s not cool.
29th Nov 2019, 5:54 PM #87
Matt Comics:honestly, this forum's habit of uncontrollably lecturing and sidelining people who say something less than popular has to count as a minor annoyance, one of the downsides among the many amazing things that happen here.

checking random threads and discovering the latest dogpiling pyramid is getting increasingly ridiculous, regardless of who is and isn't wrong. I thought venting threads had an unspoken rule about not interfering with people's complaints, even when it's a blatant overreaction.

you could argue that instead of adding another layer of complaining, I should let it slide because it's only a bunch of posts unrelated to me, and I'd agree with you. but sometimes it gets too egregious to ignore. there are better things to do than hopelessly correcting people online, like working on comics, posting in joke threads or actual discussions, etc. just my two cents.

Meh, honestly my biggest recommendation to people is to just not let it bother them. I honestly don't think people do that to be annoying, I really do think the biggest reason people do that here is because they genuinely care about the community and want people to be as reasonable as possible. Just take from it what you can and move on with your day.

And you know, despite the worst I've seen here, I'll be first to admit that it's 100000000xs better here than anywhere else. You people are literally the only people on the internet I actually care about since my experiences with people on the internet anywhere else is just a miserable experience with a bunch of deplorables in a bubble. Christ, I'm almost certain that most people on twitter, youtube, twitch, 4chan and reddit have some mental disability where anything that happens in which they don't agree means the person is either evil or that it justifies them harassing the perpetrator. That's part of the biggest reason you guys see me so active here, I am so confident you people are the only competent individuals in the online sector, I literally neglect social interaction on any site other than here (minus discussions with family of course. family is literally the only reason I keep my Facebook up.)

So don't really fret the small stuff, pretty much any other internet forum is many, many, many MANY times worse.
29th Nov 2019, 6:06 PM #88
persevered past being called "boulderousness"
Everyone annoys me on Comic Fury in some way.

Except that one guy or gal. You know who you are.
29th Nov 2019, 6:20 PM #89
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Lutzbug:Maybe they were ragging on him a bit too much, but considering that he wants to get people fired over giving them the wrong sauce, it’s not out of line to tell him it’s not cool.

oh, I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment or the posts that carefully explain that. what I found excessive was the dogpiling that happened afterwards, which I used to illustrate, well, the recurring dogpiling behavior that tends to annoy me. but it's muddled with another issue, so while it was the most recent example, I guess it's not a perfect one.

either way, at the end of the day, I still love the forums despite their flaws and strife. that has to count for something.
29th Nov 2019, 6:20 PM #90
Unapologetically Enthusiastic
Matt Comics:honestly, this forum's habit of uncontrollably lecturing and sidelining people who say something less than popular has to count as a minor annoyance, one of the downsides among the many amazing things that happen here.

I appreciate the advice, Matt, but I worked really hard and already got my comic work done for the week.

Also I've worked in retail and have seen people get fired over customers like RJDG, so I felt I was within my right to say "hey, that's not okay."

Because, in keeping to the theme of the thread, what annoys me a lot is when someone casually tosses around the threat of getting someone fired. These are people's livelihoods, they're there to get get bills paid, to pay rent, to feed their kids. Losing a job is near-life-destroying, and yes, I believe workers DO need protection from getting fired outside of truly terrible offenses (harassment, internal theft, etc.).
29th Nov 2019, 6:54 PM #91
Matt Comics:oh, I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment or the posts that carefully explain that. what I found excessive was the dogpiling that happened afterwards, which I used to illustrate, well, the recurring dogpiling behavior that tends to annoy me. but it's muddled with another issue, so while it was the most recent example, I guess it's not a perfect one.

either way, at the end of the day, I still love the forums despite their flaws and strife. that has to count for something.

Definately my man. And hopefully I'm not fitting into that narrative. I think you are a cool dude, but if you can just stick with me so I can offer a little context, I think I can help you understand things a bit better.

Keep in mind, a lot of people here come from vastly diffrent backgrounds, timezones, and expereinces. Comicfury is more of an artistic outlet as well as a place to share ideas, so when some people see statements such as the one being referenced, people do tend to "dogpile" on said statements as some may see at a diffrent time than others yet still relate enough to the message to feel a response is warrented. As I have stated before, I don't particularly belive this comes from a place of spite, I feel this is more an attempt of simply sharing perspective, as a lot of the people here seems to have been polite in demenor.

If this were an instance where people were being jerks, I'd fully be behind you. But as I have said, sometimes it's just best to take from the situation what you can and just move on. And personally between me and you a lot of people here would probably hate me if the opposite was the case, lol. I know I probably annoyed some people here to the max with some stupid stuff I've said in the past.

That being said, in this thread all about posting minor annoyances where perspective shouldn't have been a factor, I hope I was able to offer you a bit of perspective. Not like we are all without shortcomings anyway, such as the fact that I'm more than happy to offer advice to people on how to improve thier lives, despite the fact I am offering no improvements to my own life. Time to destract myself with some cat videos!

29th Nov 2019, 8:50 PM #92
Kyo
🐊
(mod message)

So obviously you're allowed to discuss your grievances with the forum culture - you're even allowed to directly criticize other people as they do is as long as you do it in a respectful manner (and don't try to enforce your opinion like it's the forum rules). But keep in mind that if you're talking about other people on this forum, on this forum, there's a pretty good chance they'll see it. And even if you don't explicitly name anyone by name, if you sort of describe what happened to the point where it's obvious, you cannot then start leveling insults or assertions about their person at them as if it was just anonymous person you encountered in your private life. So in general, don't vague other forum members in grievance threads (or really in general), that still counts as insulting other users just like it would if you outright stated their username.

With that out of the way (as usual, more detailed messages on that may arrive in your inbox), let's qualify that a bit given that a lot of conversation went on, and what I said above doesn't apply to all of it. So obviously you are allowed to discuss the state of the forum culture or problems you see with it, if you make sure to not make it about specific people, which a lot of people in this thread successfully did. You are also, again, as I said above, allowed to criticize people if you e.g. think they're engaging in dogpiling and it's time someone pulled the brakes on it. Just make sure that you're being respectful while doing so, rather than leveling the next accusation everyone can add their 2 cents to. In german, the idiom goes "to add your own mustard to it" - wait, is that idiom about sausages? are all german idioms about sausages?

Uhh, anyway, in regards to the dogpiling in general - I agree that it's not great, mightguy is also probably right in that part of it is just that you see the post, you have an emotional reaction to it, you just hit that quote button right away, don't even think about it, just start blasting. I'd be lying if I said I had never been guilty of it myself. I don't think people necessarily mean harm by it, some of it is just sort of a side effect of how the internet works, you can pause and respond at any point in the conversation. That said, no one likes being bombarded with a barrage of messages that all say more or less the same thing about how you're wrong, at that point it starts to feel a bit like a public shunning. If you see this happen, please do report it, mods will be happy to step in and tell people to drop it, albeit it's hard to catch this sort of thing in real time sometimes unfortunately. You can also tell people to drop it yourself, but again, keep the tone appropriate please.
29th Nov 2019, 9:24 PM #93
What a sucker
I love the Christmas season, I like getting people gifts, but for the life of me I can't figure out what to give people.

Popcorn tins for all, I guess!
29th Nov 2019, 11:41 PM #94
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
Food industry sucks and now I have muscle damage and have to wear a bunch of different braces because I can't afford to go to a doctor.

I also just had to buy $150 shoes to prevent future injuries because non-slip shoes under $70 are usually fuckin garbage and you still slip.
30th Nov 2019, 12:14 AM #95
not the one who meowed (?)
Saucy pizza

Thankfully dipping sauces are an easy fix, but messing up orders in the food industry can get pretty serious if it involves people with severe food allergies. Mistakes happen and can be forgiven and shrugged off, but if what RJDG14 says about employees messing up toppings on the pizzas is consistently happening, it does hurt the business long term and could put some customers at risk. Worth firing someone over? Probably not. But probably not a bad idea to at least bring it up with someone in the restaurant.
30th Nov 2019, 4:20 AM #96
rivaling gator
I'm really sensitive to perfume, I always buy the scent-free detergent and dryer sheets, I was really happy my school was a scent-free campus. But my damn room-mate keeps wearing perfume and spraying fabreeze when I ask her not to, and also lying to me about it when I can totally smell that shit.
30th Nov 2019, 10:07 AM #97
πŸ•Ž Light it up πŸ•Ž
NiaNook:severe food allergies

Yeah, don't eat at a fucking seafood restaurant if you have a shellfish allergy.

I have to keep bringing pans and shit back to the dishpit because someone else decided that "those little specs of shit are ok", meanwhile it could be traces of nuts or shellfish.
A continuous annoyance, but one worth avoiding a customer having sudden anaphylactic shock over.
1st Dec 2019, 2:53 PM #98
Don't you hate it when you ask someone how to spell something, and instead of telling you what they know; they instead SOUND IT OUT?? I HATE that SO MUCH!!! Like "You're not a certified, fucking teacher! What're you even doing? Just tell me how to spell it, DAMMIT!!!!!!!"

Evolve this a little to fucking "smart" devices'/auto-correct... The thing WILL try to spell and sometimes even "correct" words for you. Often, it'll take a made-up word (In a high-fantasy story) and/or a actual word and change into something COMPLETELY different, making you have to fix your own typos! But... Please Dear God forbid it happens again: When you're trying to LEARN a word, literally trying to learn it.. you have a vague idea of how to spell and figure "Hey! The auto-correct/predictive thing will show me if I'm spelling this right!" but the goddamned, piece of shit, motherfucking crap does NOT show the damn word! You have some idea what's suppose to pop up, but it never does; and you're sitting there typing in fucking circles until eventually you have to use something COMPLETELY different than what you want.. Because the "learning" tool in front of you can't be used for that, because it's fucking crap WAY FUCKING DOWN IN IT'S EVIL ROBOTIC, "DESTROY ALL HUMANS" dumnassed core!!

Viscous cycle: You instead stop trying to use the PC and maybe look up the word in a book? Oh wait, whoever you live with don't buy dictionaries or encyclopedias like you asked... So, you turn towards a person and ask them how to spell a word.. they don't know.. so you ask someone else.. and they try to sound it out for you... then you just "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH Go to HELL, ALL OF YOU: BURN, BURN YOU WORTHLESS FUCKS!!!!!!"

God: Who told thee that thou suck?

1st Dec 2019, 4:27 PM #99
I am a barista/cashier.

I find it mildly disorienting when you ask for a customer's name so you can call it when their drink is ready and they just start SPELLING IT. They don't say like, "Oh, it's Rangoli, R a n g o l i." No they just jump right into spelling it.

But their name isn't Rangoli, it's Brian. It's Andy. It's Katy. It's not like, a name you'd THINK the person would want to spell out for a dumb American due to its non-English nature, like Kshitij or Vojtech or Thiago. The one time someone with a non-English name spelled it for me her name was literally Yi, and I thought her name was Waiai.

No fucking, SAMANTHA spells her name out

And it just, dude, what

Like I'm over here for a half second thinking your name is something like "Esaemme" until you get to N and realize you're spelling your own super easy to guess name.

Just

Say your name duderino.

If you think I can't spell it, please just spell it afterward...after reflecting on whether your name is literally Britney. I don't need you to teach me how to spell Britney, man. Unless your name is Britnee, and you're really particular about having those two E's on your ticket.

In which case I still will think you're kind of weird for caring that much about how a stranger tries to communicate to you to get you your $4.50 latte.
1st Dec 2019, 4:28 PM #100
LMS

CrosEL:Don't you hate it when you ask someone how to spell something, and instead of telling you what they know; they instead SOUND IT OUT?? I HATE that SO MUCH!!! Like "You're not a certified, fucking teacher! What're you even doing? Just tell me how to spell it, DAMMIT!!!!!!!"

If someone sounds it out instead of telling you how it is pronounced, I assume they don't remember/know how to spell it either.

OneLook lets you type in a word with a similar/opposite meaning and it will give you a list of words it thinks are related. It's not perfect, but if you already know the word you are looking for and a synonym/antonym, you can probably find the one you are looking for in the list, provided it's a normal word in English.